Ian_Giles

Re: Police fined me today >:(
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2006, 06:08:59 am »
Oh dear...can't help myself, now Ross has involved 'Revenue cams' into the arguement I'm sure it is going to spawn lots of replies, good and bad about them.
Mostly I think they suck, they are more about catching speeders not slowing them down.
They are of course put up as a deterent, but they are without a shadow of a doubt also viewed as revenue generators, and they ARE NOT always at accident black spots.
If an accident blackspot is ahead, then there should be a big warning sign that will inform unsuspecting motorists of what lies ahead, hell it could even say speed cam in operation ahead.
Motorists can slow down safely then instead of slamming on the brakes at the last minute.
They rarely catch local drivers, lets face it, we all know where the speed cams are in our own particular area, and if you get caught it is probably because your attention has wandered and you haven't realised your speed has crept up over the limit.
Even the local boy racers are forced to slow down for 150 yards...before screaming off at breakneck speed again.

As for the original topic of being nabbed without a seatbelt, I think you may have had to have disputed the fact with the officers at the time, I'm not sure how your conversation with them went, you may well have incriminated yourself, pay your fine and take your lumps :-\
Seat belts save far more lives than the other way around, Tosh says that they are more of a danger at speeds of over 40 mph, as to that I have absolutely no idea whether he is right or wrong, first time I've heard that in fact.
But most accidents are under 40 mph, and even those over 40 mph don't always mean you are in a head on impact, and the seatbelt holds you in place while you are being thrown around.
Half the time I don't have my own seatbelt on....unless I am in the car with Tosh, and then he makes sure I have the seatbelt on ::)

Doesn't matter whether you agree or disagree with seat belts, you get caught not wearing them, no matter the duration of the journey and you get fined...

Whiplash is a two way thing, a head rest prevents your head going backwards, but it won't stop it snapping forwards, so it is only a partial answer to whiplash.
Have an airbag, you won't be able to claim compo for whiplash then....just the smashed in face and broken nose ;D

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

bumper

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2006, 06:20:54 am »
i see loads of coppers not wearing seatbelts coz ive been done 3 times, and always watch out hOw many wear them.And when they stop you they think they are  hitler.

Fox

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2006, 08:39:53 am »
I am sure everyone has their own opinion on this and this is mine - I will not take anyone in my car if they refuse to wear a seat belt, especially if they are seated in the back.  If I have an accident I certainly don't want to suffer unecessary injury because the person sitting behind me has crashed into my seat!

I feel sick every time I pass a vehicle with children in climbing all over the seats with no belts on, we could argue that adults have the decision making ability to choose but children don't and the best way to ensure everyone is safe is make sure EVERYONE wears their belt no matter how short the journey.

Fox

Trevor Knight

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2006, 08:53:34 am »
I feel sick every time I pass a vehicle with children in climbing all over the seats with no belts on, we could argue that adults have the decision making ability to choose but children don't and the best way to ensure everyone is safe is make sure EVERYONE wears their belt no matter how short the journey.
Fox

Totally agree, if the police see this then the driver gets fined as anyone under 16 years is the drivers responsibility.
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

matt

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2006, 09:29:53 am »
i see loads of coppers not wearing seatbelts coz ive been done 3 times, and always watch out hOw many wear them.And when they stop you they think they are  hitler.

the police DO NOT need to wear them if :

a. they are on a "shout"
b. have a prisoner in the back

matt

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2006, 09:31:35 am »

Fox

last weekend i saw a lady driving a 206 CC (the convertable type) with the top down and 2 little girls (about 5 - 7 ish) in the back standing up

shocking

Terry_Burrows

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2006, 12:04:02 pm »
if you were out of the car how can they prove you did not have it on ???
I would have said no I had it on,and ask them to prove it :-X
WWW.FASTESTWINDOWCLEANER.CO.UK
GUINNESS WORLD RECORD HOLDER
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF MASTER WINDOW CLEANERS.

williamx

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2006, 02:46:29 pm »
It amazing that so many on this forum are willing to break the law, or pervert the law, but when they hear that some is sighing on the dole and working at window cleaning, then they are up in arms.

Are there some laws that can be broken or does it depend on who is breaking them.

marc al

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2006, 03:49:12 pm »
  The law is the law, no matter what you think of it.

The seat belt is there for your safety, don't wear it you get fined - simple??

The speed limit is there for a reason, break it and you get fined/banned - simple??

I know I may sound like I am too good to be true, but I don't wear my seatbelt very often, I see it as betting against myself, but if I get nicked then it's a fair cop really.

I will also wage that I have been nicked for speeding at probably the highest speed of anyone on this forum, and I took the consequences as I shouldn't have been doing it.

John Kelly

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2006, 04:35:12 pm »
I was in a serious crash when I was 17. My daft mate had just bought a mini van 3 days after passing his test. We were coming down the A69 in Northumberland which had major roadworks and it was raining heavy. He ploughed into another car which was stationary at temporary lights. We bounced off and were flung across the other carraigeway and were missed by an artic by inches. I had a seat belt on, he didn't, he seen it coming and managed to grab on for dear life, however he still it the windscreen and has a 3 inch scar on his head to this day. We went back to see the wreckage, the corner of the bonnet was up into the windsreen right in front of the passenger seat. The copper said if I hadn't been wearing a belt I would have been ripped to shreds. I had the bruise of the belt across my chest for 6 months. That shows you the force I would have been projected forward. I wouldn't drive 2 yards without a belt on now, in fact I feel naked without one.

matt

« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2006, 05:33:48 pm »
i can safely say, with all my faults, i 100% wear a seatbelt

reason

if i have a car crash, i still want to see my daughter grow up

Clear Vision

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2006, 06:48:06 pm »
if you were out of the car how can they prove you did not have it on ???
I would have said no I had it on,and ask them to prove it :-X

I should have said that terry but sometimes when your In a situation you don't think of It until afterwards.

I assumed because there was 2 of them and only one of me I wouldn't have a leg to sand on?

Any way lesson learnt!

rugby

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2006, 08:16:35 pm »
got stopped today,police spot check in gloucester, at least 2o police,6 trading standard officers, and 6
or more from the inland revenue were pulling over mainly vans, "the working man again,easy target" my transit was givern a right old inspection, then i was interviewd by trading standards, and then get this,i was intererviewd by 3 people from the inland revenue, they wanted my national insuarance number,when i started in buisness, what my yearly turnover was, etc etc etc. i didnt realise my tracking was out and one of my front tyres was worn on the inside edge, so they kept me their for not far off an hour untill a prohibition officer could look at it, he put a prohibition order on my van and untill i can put it through another MOT, take the details to local police headquaters and get prohibition lifted im not working.
all in all it took 20 police 6 trading standards and what thehell the inland revenue were doing their i dont know. tony blairs britain, god help us.
sometimes wish i was an immigrant,be nice to have rights

Clear Vision

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2006, 08:47:56 pm »
tony blairs britain, god help us.
sometimes wish i was an immigrant,be nice to have rights

Your right there! ;D

It's getting beyond a joke now!

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2006, 10:01:39 pm »
Hi all I just been reading this thread with intrest, Can I ask the following question.

The New law concerning seat belts with ref to children i.e any child shorter that 4.5ft (I think ) has to be placed on some form of child seat or Booster seat. does this apply to adults shorter than 4.5ft ????
The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

rosskesava

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2006, 01:01:45 am »
So all the Police spend all their time not worrying about minor offenses? They then spend all their time going after the big fish?

It amazes me that on the one hand people complain that 'nothing' gets done about people breaking the law on a minor scale but then moan about speed cameras because they want to be able to break the law with impunity, and then the same people moan about organised crime and then complain when they get caught over minor offenses but expect others to not to break minor rules like begging.

I find it strange.

As for immigrants, once again check out the facts. It is not very hard to do. They don't have all the rights and we have none. Wake up and stop believing what the papers say in their usual distorted way.

So an immigrant turns up here and gets given a 4 bedroomed house all fitted out with new furniture. Yeah. Sure. How about actually finding out what rights an immigrant does actually have before making a bland 'Daily Mail' type comment.

My mates daughter got pregnant at 16 and now at 18 has her own 2 bedroom council house and £92 a week with her rent paid for and she pays £1 a week council tax.

Fact not fiction. We need to look closer to home first for abuses in the system.

As for being under height for wearing a seatbelt, that's a good question?

Going back to the seatbelt question, I wear one always. I had a mate years ago who said they were dangerous. He had a crash on the A3 near Raynes Park. He didn't have to be cut free like people in other cars. He'd gone through the windscreen and 50yds along the road. He was also speeding. Last I heard about him 10 odd years ago he was in and out of hospital with this problem and that. All of it was serious skeletal problems. I know half his head was metal plates and he had a crushed neck as he wore a neck brace all the time untill I last saw him.

JM123

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2006, 01:32:36 am »
I seen an accident on the dual carriageway where I live not so long ago - vectra versus transit 350lwb, van crossed over in front of vectra, van driver not wearing a seatbelt, vectra driver never even had a chance to hit the brakes - 70mph to 0 instantly, van driver ejected through locked passenger door breaking the door off its hinges, that was 8 months ago, vectra driver released from hospital 2 weeks later, van driver still there. 
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

Ian_Giles

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2006, 05:55:17 am »
Rugby, I'll leave your post there, as it is a response to the one that Ross made.

For those that wonder where there posts have gone, I have deleted them.

This is a good thread but it should possibly be in 'Any other business'

It could equally be in any of the other areas of the forum too, we all use vehicles for work so looking at it from that angle it just about qualifies (in my opinion) to be able to stay in this section.

But please, try not to let it descend into chat or mutate into a political debate about imigrants or the police chasing real criminals instead of the motorist.

And Ross, stop introducing new little elements inside your replies!!! I couldn't resist responding myself when you mentioned speed cams! :P

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Mr BSF

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2006, 08:18:57 pm »
I know half a dozen people who have come out of very minor crashes with severe whip lash. i was involved in a crash at 60 with no belt and only suffered a slight bruise from the air bag, the other driver who had on a belt  had extremly severe whiplash.

The seat belt rule is now just a revenue raiser by a nanny state exactly like speed cams.

A seat belt is in your car to save your life Mr Jones, if you are trying to say that you hit something at 60mph without a seat belt on and only came out with a slight bruise caused from the air bag then all I can say is, dream on ::) take my advice Mr Jones wear your seat belt and please dont try to fool others into thinking they will cause you injury in a crash.

Mike Jones

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2006, 08:55:57 pm »
 I was driving a new style  range rover  so pleanty of metal. The car that went into me was a megane and was a  total write off .  The driver had to be cut out. The driver had extremly bad whiplash if not broken bones.

The ambulance crew and fire brigade were amazed that I had come off so lightly but reconed it was a combination of the vehicle, my driving ie I had started to swerve out the way  and the fact I'm built on the heavy side!

I do now wear a seat belt more often but I still think the police use every chance to make up the shortfall in goverment funding by milking the motorist at every opurtunity.