geefree

FIRST DAY.ladders on van. (shiner)
« on: August 15, 2006, 09:45:08 am »
hi all , well here we go , my first day has arrived too , off out to do the few cleans i have,well as many as i can  i have 20 so should take forever ha,... just worried about the ladder on the roof bars, i was reading some old posts from shiner over a year old,.... are the straps from halfords still the quickest and safest way to secure ladders or has something better been invented :)

gary.

jeff1

Re: FIRST DAY.ladders on van. (shiner)
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 11:01:32 am »
Ladder Hooks/Clamps best way to secure your ladders and the fastest £20/£25 a pair.

Trevor Knight

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 12:40:46 pm »
Ladder Hooks/Clamps best way to secure your ladders and the fastest £20/£25 a pair.

Totally agree !
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

AuRavelling79

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 01:44:19 pm »
bolt an upright to each roof bar sticking up about 9" so that your ladder rungs  will sit against them.
It's a game of three halves!

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 05:25:54 pm »
Gary,

How did your first day go?

I'd now hate to do 20 new cleans in one day; they're murder.  I recently did six new cleans, one after the other, and found them slow, tedious and hard work.

Just remember next month, they'll be much easier; as you've done the hard work today.

Fast 1 *

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 05:44:15 pm »

Totally agree !
definitely.Some people use bungee rope,but you cant beat the hook clamps.Plus you can padlock them up.
wildstyles

Fast 1 *

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 05:46:04 pm »
Gary,

How did your first day go?

I'd now hate to do 20 new cleans in one day; they're murder.  I recently did six new cleans, one after the other, and found them slow, tedious and hard work.

Just remember next month, they'll be much easier; as you've done the hard work today.
I think he will be home about seven,after doing 20 first cleans
wildstyles

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 06:35:45 pm »
I'd take bets he did about 10 of them and is flat out on the sofa ;)
Sussex by the sea

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 06:47:14 pm »
I'd take bets he did about 10 of them and is flat out on the sofa ;)

...feeling like he's had a good kicking, and demoralised because he's only earnt £50.00 tops; and all his scrims are soaking and minging dirty.

That's how I felt.

pylofm

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 06:59:03 pm »
Just did my first 2 wfp (first cleans today), one of the house's got 45 litres thrown at it ! and the other one was just tops (about 30 litres)....We did a following up call to the new customers this evening..,.both were pleased with the result and no complaints.

Am now the proud owner of 6 regular customers... :D

:) Dave.

geefree

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006, 08:20:41 pm »
Hi everybody, did 13 new cleans , and yes you are right chris , only earned about 45 quid, but i loved it , i really did,.. nice lady made a pot of tea, told me where to go for new customers, and wait for it ! ... once up the ladder i had 6 people wanting their windows doing, they all agreed the price and i am doin them tomoorrow,.

The windows and sills were all filthy and spider ridden :) so i do agree with you tosh about it being tedious, but like you said will be easier next month.

They all paid but i had to go back for one who complimented me on how sparkling clean her  windows, frames and sills looked.... i remembered you all saying ,to take my time and do a good job, so since i wanted to leave a good impression, i went the extra mile .

I would like to thank you all for your help and advice to get me to the starting line,.... by legs ache along with my back, and arms, but i have a huge smile on my face. :D

THANK YOU.

Gary.

petski2

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2006, 08:30:53 pm »
Gaza where have you been cleaning today.
13 cleans for 45 quid is only about £3.5 each.
Minimum price in our area should be £6 mate.
Dont fall into the trap of getting quick custom by pricing low as you WILL regret it.
The only ones in our area that charge £3.5 are the ones who are signing on,dont lower yourself to their standard mate.
Did you try Eastmoor.

geefree

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 08:44:59 pm »
hi, i had a mixed bag with some 5 and 6 but one or two 3.50 ones yes, they were them litte  flats at gillsyke grove, and i took so long as first day etc.
i dont want to underprice and wont again, but i thought they were easy for when im quicker..... as all close together, i will go to eastmoor tomorrow, but i thought that area was a bit like you said on your post.... i would charge  5 for an average terrace house, around 6, 6.50 for a semi. and around 7/8 detached , all of course depending on size, amount of windows, conservatary, etc etc..... please say im roughly ok with those prices as i want to do this right in our area.

gary.

geefree

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2006, 08:46:48 pm »
god , ???feel bad now.

jeff1

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2006, 08:51:11 pm »
Hi everybody, did 13 new cleans , and yes you are right chris , only earned about 45 quid, but i loved it , i really did,.. nice lady made a pot of tea, told me where to go for new customers, and wait for it ! ... once up the ladder i had 6 people wanting their windows doing, they all agreed the price and i am doin them tomoorrow,.

The windows and sills were all filthy and spider ridden :) so i do agree with you tosh about it being tedious, but like you said will be easier next month.

They all paid but i had to go back for one who complimented me on how sparkling clean her windows, frames and sills looked.... i remembered you all saying ,to take my time and do a good job, so since i wanted to leave a good impression, i went the extra mile .

I would like to thank you all for your help and advice to get me to the starting line,.... by legs ache along with my back, and arms, but i have a huge smile on my face. :D

THANK YOU.

Gary.

well done gazzasp8, petski is correct in getting your prices up if you don't know how to price then pop a couple of pictures of one or two of your cleans on here and help in pricing will come fast.
Going that extra mile as you did will pay you dividends in the future your customers talk but it spreads slowly, do a bad job and it spreads fast.
You may find that if there is a lack of W C in your area they will find you, if you have a sign writen car/van you may even find notes under your wipers, good luck to you in the future and I hope all goes well for you.

Jeff

petski2

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2006, 08:53:43 pm »
Ah Gill Syke,I used to be the milkman for all those flats.
To be honest mate yes you are about right with your pricing for our area.
If you go a bit further down we used to have about 8 customers in Mount Crescent but dropped them recently when we got some more commercial work,so why not canvass them.Dont canvass Brackendale(further down behing old British Jeffry Diamonds) as we do them. ;D
Do you live near Gill Syke as I was born and bred on Lupset estate.

geefree

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2006, 08:54:44 pm »
Thanks Jeff, thats good of you to reply, i will take some photos., i was doing ok until they came with these small granny flats, but i will learn.

gary.

geefree

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2006, 09:03:00 pm »
Hi Petski
no, i live at sandal,...i will have a look in that area where you dropped the work,...and i wont canvass near you but please let me know so i dont.... i did enjoy it though we should meet one day for a beer,... i did not even consider the guys on the dole doing this, and undercutting, learn loads here on this site every day.

petski2

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2006, 09:04:58 pm »
Gaza dont knock them granny flats mate.
Believe me if you get a lot more of them you will easily do 15 of those in an hour with wfp or 10 with trad after a while.
Had a word with our house cleaner (wifes a lazy bugger) yesterday and she lives in Eastmoor.She said their window cleaner comes about every 3 months and misse windows out every time.Go for it mate.

geefree

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2006, 09:05:17 pm »
what should i charge in eastmoor, i think they generally all the same type of house. ???