This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

geefree

Re: FIRST DAY.ladders on van. (shiner)
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2006, 09:07:16 pm »
am off to eastmoor lol

petski2

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2006, 09:10:54 pm »
To be honest it depends on how much you want to earn,I personally work to £25 an hour so if you think you could in time do 4 of them an hour you should charge about £6 per house.OK its one of those areas where they probably pay £4.5 at the moment but would you rather do ten houses at £4.5 or just over 7 at £6.
Where in Sandal are you ya posh bugger.
Used to have girlfriends on Carr Lane,Woodthorpe Gardens and a road across from Pledwick INN.

petski2

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2006, 09:12:31 pm »
By the way if you read your emails I mailed you last week to say my local is the Blue Light on Batley road in Alverthorpe. ;)

geefree

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2006, 09:17:23 pm »
got the emails thanks, sorry with all this going on i simply cant find the time..... and kids sometimes open mail and they dont show as new etc..., i stay up and read and post on here then i canvass and leaflet drop,
i live not far from woodthorpe, lower down... not giving street on here lol... think i know where that boozer of yours too... not posh me  :)... but you are with your very own maid. ;D

geefree

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2006, 09:21:04 pm »
where are all the w/c from round here on this forum, am suprised.

petski2

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2006, 09:26:40 pm »
Not posh at all mate lol.
Wife has opened up another hairdressing salon so she is basically busy 24/7.
I did the cleaning for a while but as she says I only did a man clean.lol
So we hired a cleaner but only 2 hours a week,just takes pressure off her indoors.
Anyhow whenever you want to meet at my local for a few pints and a natter about wcing let me know in advance.
Going out tomorrow to watch England game,out Thursday at Mex Cantina,out Friday at family,weekend is mine,Monday OK,Tuesday going to watch Wakefield FC for their first home game at College Grove.

Fast 1 *

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2006, 09:30:50 pm »
well done gazza.Keep your prices sensible,though.In the beginning,desperation for work can make you go a tad cheaper.Try not to
wildstyles

petski2

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2006, 09:43:42 pm »
Got to agree Fast.We have now been at it over 2 years and have only just managed to drop the stuff we priced too low.
It is so tempting and even though people warned me against it when I started I still did it. ::)
However in time the good priced stuff does come.
Must admit Yellow pages made a big difference to our round,we have a box advert and it costs £135 a year which we pay in installments.
What is hardest to understand when you are starting up is if you underprice you are not only ruining your own earning potential but also that of fellow window cleaners.
This is why we frown so much on the dole brigade.
Picture the scenario:a group of oaps flats have been paying John Doe whose claiming dole so only needs to earn £30 a day to top up his income £2.5 for their windows cleaned.
He for whatever reason packs in and you come along.
When you price up you think ok this will take me about 15 mins so you quote £6.
It doesnt matter how long you try to explain to them that he was a doley and you need to earn a real income they aint gonna accept an increase like that.
Sorry to go into a rant but we have to rise above these guys and stick to decent pricing.
I know its hard when quote after quote you get turned down but believe me good priced work is out there. :)

Paul Coleman

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2006, 11:06:25 pm »
hi all , well here we go , my first day has arrived too , off out to do the few cleans i have,well as many as i can  i have 20 so should take forever ha,... just worried about the ladder on the roof bars, i was reading some old posts from shiner over a year old,.... are the straps from halfords still the quickest and safest way to secure ladders or has something better been invented :)

gary.

I have found those straps I mentioned back then to be just fine.  I suppose clamps would be extra safe but they are a hassle to keeop doing up and undoing each time you want to remove the ladder.  I tend to lock the ladder on at night with the clamps and padlocks but during the day I just use the straps.  If you are anxious about the straps, I suppose you could put an extra one around the front roof bar just in case one fails though I've bot had a problem.  By all means check the locking mechanisms on the straps periodically if you feel concerned.  Also, don't forget to have something on the roofbars to prevent sideways movement.

macc

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2006, 11:19:40 pm »
Ladder Hooks/Clamps best way to secure your ladders and the fastest £20/£25 a pair.

Totally agree !
definitely.Some people use bungee rope,but you cant beat the hook clamps.Plus you can padlock them up.

A bungee can snap & i cant see 1 bungee holding a set of ladders, ive always used ladder clamps, ive never had them fail yet but if one did im fairly confident the other clampwould keep the ladders on.

Macc

chris@c.m.s

« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2006, 12:46:45 am »
I frequently drive with one clamp in place if the next job is nearby
Sussex by the sea

Paul Coleman

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2006, 06:27:43 am »
Ladder Hooks/Clamps best way to secure your ladders and the fastest £20/£25 a pair.

Totally agree !
definitely.Some people use bungee rope,but you cant beat the hook clamps.Plus you can padlock them up.

A bungee can snap & i cant see 1 bungee holding a set of ladders, ive always used ladder clamps, ive never had them fail yet but if one did im fairly confident the other clampwould keep the ladders on.

Macc

I have had a clamp fail but it failed while I was doing it up.  I think it got cross threaded and went loose.

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2006, 05:32:50 pm »
well done gazza.Keep your prices sensible,though.In the beginning,desperation for work can make you go a tad cheaper.Try not to

I agree, having underpriced myself when I started.

For some of my older work, it's literally taken years (four of them) to get them to an acceptable level.

I can't stress it enough; it's important to 'get yer prices right', otherwise you'll end up demoralised since your grafting away, earning very little and won't be to cover the bills and stuff; especially if you have a period of time, even a short one, where you can't work.

geefree

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2006, 06:46:06 pm »
CHEERS TOSH,I WONT GO DOWN THAT RD, OOPS i only accepted the granny flats as they all together right next door to each other without even having to go out of any gates,.. when i said was doing ok until the granny flats , i wasnt knocking them (petski) i meant regarding pricing up.... tosh , just been scrawling through some really old posts for info on sloping porches directly below a bedroom window,... and you were there again giving the right advice, 2003 i think... you are a star ;D... but where have all the other guys gone, think just you and paul around then,

Fast 1 *

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2006, 07:21:51 am »
Got to agree Fast.We have now been at it over 2 years and have only just managed to drop the stuff we priced too low.
It is so tempting and even though people warned me against it when I started I still did it. ::)
However in time the good priced stuff does come.
Must admit Yellow pages made a big difference to our round,we have a box advert and it costs £135 a year which we pay in installments.
What is hardest to understand when you are starting up is if you underprice you are not only ruining your own earning potential but also that of fellow window cleaners.
This is why we frown so much on the dole brigade.
Picture the scenario:a group of oaps flats have been paying John Doe whose claiming dole so only needs to earn £30 a day to top up his income £2.5 for their windows cleaned.
He for whatever reason packs in and you come along.
When you price up you think ok this will take me about 15 mins so you quote £6.
It doesnt matter how long you try to explain to them that he was a doley and you need to earn a real income they aint gonna accept an increase like that.
Sorry to go into a rant but we have to rise above these guys and stick to decent pricing.
I know its hard when quote after quote you get turned down but believe me good priced work is out there. :)
Spot on mate
wildstyles