KS Cleaning

Re: Public liability claim, is it worth it?
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2022, 11:36:18 am »
Not trying to make anyone look bad simply saying that if you put claims in for pitiful amounts don’t come crying when you’re policy’s increase,the person down the other end of the phone must have been biting their knuckles taking down the details of that one.
It might well be a pitiful amount for a man of your stature, for others it might not be.

NWH

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2022, 11:55:23 am »
Anybody here ever claimed anything off your public liability insurance? I paid roughly £75-95 per year for the past 5-6 years via Aplan (never claimed anything). Now I've caused some damages on someone's carpet, they managed to get a quote to replace it for £607.17. (VAT, fittings included). Aplan advised me to rethink about it because it's probably not worth it. They couldn't tell me how much it could go up by if I go for the claim. Is it worth it?

Absolute cowboys, insurance companies make my blood boil. If its not viable to claim for £600 you may as well setup an emergency fund yourself. On a completely different tangent, I have pet insurance and have had to make a couple of claims over the last ten years for which I'm now paying through the nose, I've paid out way more in new contributions than I actually claimed for.  :'(

What do you mean you’ve paid out way more than you’ve claimed for do you know how insurance works,you are insuring against accidental damage what do you think they should give you the premium back at the end of each year if you don’t use it lol.
It’s Insurance not Assurance.

Pete Thompson

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2022, 12:04:50 pm »

You better get all you’re work up to date before Christmas 🤶 don’t forget you’ve got Panto for 3/4 months playing Scrooge lol 😂,cor  blimey I’ve met some tight people I would have just gone down to the nearest cash point given them the cash and got a receipt.

The problem you have with doing that is that the customer doesn’t necessarily know how much the repair is going to cost. They may have an estimate, but it’s just that, an estimate.

So you pay them in cash £530, they get the contractor in. Contractor says “oh didn’t realise it was this type of window, sorry it’s going to cost £6,000”.

You can’t claim now as you’ve started the process yourself and paid money over, plus the contractor is already there.

Do you go back to your cash machine for the rest?

Also, what if the customer isn’t happy with the repair, and wants you to pay to get someone else to do it again?

Or what if the customer says the contractor damaged their valuable antique piano while he was there, and wants you to pay to replace it?

The point is, the insurance company will handle all of this if you make a claim, even hiring lawyers and going to court to settle a dispute if necessary.

Will you be happy to do that on your own?

NWH

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2022, 12:27:03 pm »
This happened to me a couple of years ago I cracked a window with hot water I said to her what do you want to do,she said what do you suggest.
I said to her you get who you want to quote for it and to sort it out to you’re satisfaction when you’ve paid the invoice I will bacs you the monies over,this is what we did and there was no issue.
She sent me over the quote to look at and it would always be at this point that my decision would be made to either pay it myself or go through my insurance,if I’d dropped my pole or ran the keys hanging off my belt down the side of a Bentayga my decision would be made for me on the spot,my point is it’s not worth the grief emails and just plain faff for such small amounts.

NWH

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2022, 12:33:42 pm »
As for if the customer isn’t happy at the point they appoint  someone to do it that’s their decision you’re not doing anything wrong as they are choosing the company,I would always choose my own repairers anyway when Ive had vehicle repairs done in the past they send it to the worst spray shop in the South of England.

NBwcs

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2022, 02:27:02 pm »
Anybody here ever claimed anything off your public liability insurance? I paid roughly £75-95 per year for the past 5-6 years via Aplan (never claimed anything). Now I've caused some damages on someone's carpet, they managed to get a quote to replace it for £607.17. (VAT, fittings included). Aplan advised me to rethink about it because it's probably not worth it. They couldn't tell me how much it could go up by if I go for the claim. Is it worth it?

Absolute cowboys, insurance companies make my blood boil. If its not viable to claim for £600 you may as well setup an emergency fund yourself. On a completely different tangent, I have pet insurance and have had to make a couple of claims over the last ten years for which I'm now paying through the nose, I've paid out way more in new contributions than I actually claimed for.  :'(

What do you mean you’ve paid out way more than you’ve claimed for do you know how insurance works,you are insuring against accidental damage what do you think they should give you the premium back at the end of each year if you don’t use it lol.
It’s Insurance not Assurance.

I didnt think it would  be that hard to work out but here we go ,just for you...
you make a claim, and then next years premium and all subsequent years premuims go up. I have now paid out far more in the increased premiums ie new amount less old amount than i actually got back from the claims,i really cant put it any more simply for you. ::)roll