Shrek

Re: Time to dump
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2017, 06:36:10 pm »

What's to be gained dumping a customer who you clean 11 times a year rather than 12.  Will you miss the tenner over the year?

Because if every customer did this, it would be a cut in income of 8 and one third per cent (one twelfth).
If something like this happens and the customer has very good history, I will probably let it go - unless it's for a reason that's likely to be repeated. I was once sent away in case I upset the new dog (it was a rescue job).  That was likely to be a repeat send away due to the reason. In spite of the customer's good record, I dropped the job. Now if it had been (for example) "My neighbour is in hospital for a couple of weeks and I'm looking after their aggressive dog, but it will be gone soon, I would probably take that on the chin.

But every customer doesn't do this, I also said if becomes a habit then get rid. But the odd customer skipping the odd clean doesn't do any harm.

Like I said, it depends if the reason is likely to be part of an ongoing issue.  Also, it does do harm.  If the job is for, say, £20, that's £20 I won't earn that day if I'm up to date with my work. If I'm a bit behind, maybe it won't cost me money as I can bring another job forward (if there are any more in that area).
I'm already hard pushed financially. It's easy to think of this as the person dipping into my wallet and taking £20.

I think if it's a problem to you to miss the odd ten or 20 quid  then you need more work.

Likewise if you are on top of your work and up to date you probably my need more work.

I would always factor if having slightly more work than you need due to these factors, I never seem to run out of work, if someone skips or whatever I just do the next job, someone might want a conny roof doing so if I've time I'll do it.

Dont you get asked for gutters or conny etc? The way I see it is if 20 quid of work can't be done this week but I've been asked to do conny roof then I'm no worse off.

i dont get it either adam.walter mitty has been cleaning windows longer than me(he started back in 1991) and he s always skint. :(

Some people live beyond their means !

slap bash

« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2017, 08:28:58 am »
If you cannot stick to your gun on how you operate then its pointless being in business. I believe if you want to be treated like a business then you need to have T& C just like any other business. Its never stopped me in the 10 years I have been in this game. They respect you for it.
Its the difference between you running your business or your customers running you. If you cannot put your foot down then it will show in your needy attitude and the customer will sence it and take advantage. if you very matter of fact about T&C  they accept it.

dazmond

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2017, 08:42:23 am »
If you cannot stick to your gun on how you operate then its pointless being in business. I believe if you want to be treated like a business then you need to have T& C just like any other business. Its never stopped me in the 10 years I have been in this game. They respect you for it.
Its the difference between you running your business or your customers running you. If you cannot put your foot down then it will show in your needy attitude and the customer will sence it and take advantage. if you very matter of fact about T&C  they accept it.

you just dont need T&C for window cleaning for domestics apart from a few verbal ones and perhaps a written one on invoices(i have please pay within 14 days on mine).other than that not needed.
price higher/work harder!

Marc Stock

« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2017, 11:11:31 am »
I have a locked gate policy.

I do not text the day before.

On my bills is the next clean date. I will return on that date, that is a contract.

It says on my bills 'please leave access on the due dates as we cannot guarantee to return on a later date'

It also says all payments are due in full under all circumstances.

Trust me they forget once, they dont do it a second time as full payment is required regardless.

It works, and works very well.
I haven't got the balls to do that!

I don't mind it too much as the front only is usually 1/3 of the job but charge 2/3 of the price for this.

like your style though!

Who are his customers ? put it this way if a shiner turned up at your door looking paid for a job he hadn't done because you had
forgot to unlock the gate, would you pay him ?
Worse still, imagine if this was somebody's pensioner mum who had forgot and then had to pay for a non clean,  its not about having the balls its about keeping them from feeling the sharp end of a steel toecap boot. lol.

Pensioners don't forget.

They are amongst the best for remembering.

Trust me guys it works.  Of course i use my best judgement as sometimes there are mitigating circumstances.

Marc Stock

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2017, 11:17:30 am »
What happens if you cannot do them on the next due date due to unforseen circumstances......do you text them then.......some on here are very inflexible surprised they still have rounds.

Well if i cannot do them there normally has to be a very good reason for it. Like being very ill or dangerous weather.

On those rare occasions i will call them peronally on the phone to re arrange an alternative time and date suitable for them with no obligation to agree, normally they do agree to the next week or whatever. If they can't agree, its fine i just give them the next clean date and write the job off for that month which  has happened probably 5 times in 10 years

johnny bravo

« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2017, 09:31:06 pm »
dont reply, let them get back to you,  say you have took 2 new customers on  thinking you didnt want them done anymore., or just add a few quid on and say they have become on to your 8 weekly job sheet, @ 8 weekly charge
if they are not happy with that then say ouvwa ;D ;D

Slacky

« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2017, 10:40:00 pm »
I had one yesterday. Turned up, this was only the second visit.

The back gate was locked, so I knocked to get them to open it. He peered out and said 'Oh, we're going away in three days, can we leave it this time?'

'Sure' I said. .....

Michael Peterson

« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2017, 04:05:42 pm »
We use text local so they can’t reply to the text which will just say your windows are due tommorow , then when the gate is locked it’s front only anyway , our landline number is an 0800 number with menus also , I never speak to anyone really and we do 700 accounts

johnny bravo

« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2017, 08:18:06 pm »
good idea michael