gavin pedley

What to charge
« on: September 30, 2010, 12:46:16 pm »
Hi all i know this is not the best of pics but very roughly what would you charge for these two buildings?

Windows and sun shade things

GB Window Cleaning

Re: What to charge
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 12:49:48 pm »
Depends how long it will take and how frequetly they want/need your service? £30 an hour

Just out of interest did you canvass for these commercial property's or did they get intouch with you?

Regards G.B

gavin pedley

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 12:51:01 pm »
Just got in contact.

One building is one off and other most likely is quarterly.

GB Window Cleaning

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 01:06:49 pm »
how long do you think they will take to do? base that aproximation on £30 ish an hour!

gavin pedley

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 01:08:58 pm »
To be honest i have no idea this will be my first big office job so this is why i am asking untill now i have only done residential and some small shops.

Guess i will just have to go look just don't want to under price

Wc Solutions

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 01:16:46 pm »
ask youself some questions.

how far is it from other work i do? can i tie it in with those jobs?

how longs it gonna take me?

its really hard from the pics on google maps mate, windows frames sills and those sun shade things - the one off of course will be more than the 4 monthly one.

you must know in your head how long it will take. hard to price it from what i can see but it would def be well over £50 per building.

gavin pedley

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 01:18:04 pm »
Yes i know very hard thanks anyway i will go down and have a good look and see.

Wc Solutions

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 01:21:36 pm »
try £1 a window and see what that adds up to - if the frames are realy bad then go up a bit ...

i guess you are wfp - looks in nice easy job.

supernova77

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 01:37:09 pm »
It's dangerous posting a link like this on an open forum... It gives the exact address of the buildings which means anyone else could get in contact with the buildings owners offering to quote?

Andy

gavin pedley

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 01:52:44 pm »
Hmm never thought of that so gone thanks anyway guys  ;)

gewindows

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 03:14:16 pm »
Theres no pics to look at.  ???  ???

gavin pedley

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 04:51:03 pm »
there was a link to google street view but after reading the post above yours i thought twice ;)

Wc Solutions

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 04:54:19 pm »
maybe in future try and make out you have already done the job/got the contract.

supernova77

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 05:04:33 pm »
Or just post a picture of the building(s) with no address details...

Andy

gavin pedley

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 08:41:55 pm »
Ok quick update

so i went and quoted it had around 60 windows plus the slated sun shades above top and bottom windows which they also wanted done and two shelter type things.

Anyway i quoted £87 i felt this was a fair price a they wanted all of it done and window frames and doors etc.

She called me today "Hello my manager has asked me to ask if this is your best price and what makes it so expensive"?

Me: urm yes that is my best price, the slated sun shades will take some time and will take a few hours.

Any way she said she had to get another quote and may get back to me.

I am sure i have not massively over charged are they just looking for something for nothing?

dazmond

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 11:08:31 pm »
£80 (2 hour job?).

commercial i price at £40 an hour although one i picked up a few months ago is nearly £60 an hour with wfp!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.

god i love wfp!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
price higher/work harder!

mci services

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 11:12:20 pm »
I agree with the time 2hrs maybe a bit more, I will keep my price to myself but it would not be £87

mci services

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 12:06:34 am »
Gavin, price it to fit in with your current business.

There’s no point to pricing it less than what you are already achieving.

Check your quote of £87 against what you’re currently already doing, if it’s less for example and the job takes up 4 hours of your time that makes the £87 quote less than £22 per hour and if you are already earning £25 per hour don’t do this work.

ewan I don't disagree with any of that, but if instead of asking how much? and the question was how long will it take? then the guys could work out there own price based on what they want to achieve, and it would be be fairer to the the obvious area price differences.

but then again some will say two hours and others 4 hours so it is a pretty pointless question I suppose :-\

Paul Coleman

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 03:28:33 am »
Jobs like that can be done in very quick time relative to the size of the building.  Your answer is that your quotation is for the first clean (incl. all frames etc.).  A regular clean (with contract) could cost a lot less per clean if done at a reasonable frequency (i.e no less frequent than 3 - 4 monthly).  I'm assuming this is outside only.
You can use this situation to get the job regularly IMO.  I didn't see a detailed picture but 60 fairly straightforward panes can be knocked out in a lot less than two hours on a maintenance clean.  Not sure what you mean about sunshades though.
So you can tell them the reason it is so expensive is that first cleans are very time consuming if done properly  and that maintenance cleans can be carried out more cheaply.
I have a job that took 4 hours first time.  I gradually whittled it down to 1 hr 15min on maintenance cleans.  A full frame clean is carried out once in a while and takes a bit longer.
I have been very surprised at how quickly wall to wall glass can be cleaned with WFP if maintained properly.

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 07:23:12 am »
Ok quick update

so i went and quoted it had around 60 windows plus the slated sun shades above top and bottom windows which they also wanted done and two shelter type things.

Anyway i quoted £87 i felt this was a fair price a they wanted all of it done and window frames and doors etc.

She called me today "Hello my manager has asked me to ask if this is your best price and what makes it so expensive"?

Me: urm yes that is my best price, the slated sun shades will take some time and will take a few hours.

Any way she said she had to get another quote and may get back to me.

I am sure i have not massively over charged are they just looking for something for nothing?

commercial doesnt want to pay the prices any more, u should of said £3 and spalshed and dashed it,