Wally the Window Washer's New Gutter Scoop
« on: August 21, 2008, 11:46:08 pm »
Made it last night. Used it this morning.

It fits onto the end of a 5m Harris pole.

It works OK.

It's a prototype and there is room for improvement.

The mirror is terrific. The gutters I was working on today had had a ball of chicken wire all scrunched up and rammed hard into the top of the downspout. Of course, it caught a few pieces of moss and then in time bunged up the whole gutter.

Using the mirror, I could see that there was something there, so I just dug and dug turning to the mirror every couple of digs to see how I was getting on. After a minute I could see quite clearly what I was doing and just hooked the offending ball out and then the rest was easy.

Without the mirror I might have actually rammed the chicken wire ball deeper into the downspout if I'd tried pushing the mess down the pipe instead of digging it out. That would have left me in a right messy situation.

Re: Wally the Window Washer's New Gutter Scoop
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 06:14:57 am »
I thought the mirror was a good idea, and I shall get one.

The only thing i've tried to do that is different to anyone else is design a shape/profile/ wedge that will plough the debris and encourage it to exit over the side as you push the plough/scoop along.

but mines all theory because I haven't done it yet.....

This is a bit like the space race ain't it? The four greatest minds of wfp locked in a last minute sprint to achieve something that works.

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 09:08:08 am »

Yes, real epic stuff. And the way that we are driving technology forwards is just amazing. I'm particulary impressed with the way that we are finding different ways of using "BFT" to make interesting shaped scoops.

My next mod is going to be teflon coating the tip and fitting a heat shield round the jubilee clip to make sure that it doesn't burn up on re-entry.

The final stage is going to be to test it in near-zero gravity so I can sell it to NASA for clearning space dust from the nooks and crannies on the Space Station.

"BFT" = beaten-flat tubing.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 09:11:10 am »
Lmao!!

The mirror is a seriously good idea,.. prob no good for really high stuff, but for 90% of gutter work its a brilliant solution.

Ian W

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 09:12:14 am »
Very nice!  8)
Is the scoop a "BFT", as you put it? Was it an old extension pole?
Do all the good you can, and make as little fuss about it as possible.
Charles Dickens

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 09:19:05 am »
Nat, I'll take the 90% and leave the 10% I can't do to others. I've found a solution that enables me to do the job from the ground AND see inside to know what's going on.

Ian, Yes, the scoop is made from BFT. The tube was taken from the handle of an old, discarded lawn mower. Jeff1's Mk 1 was also made from BFT. It looks like some kind of aluminium.

JSMC

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 12:04:00 pm »
do just scrape it along till it goes down the down pipe?

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 12:22:00 pm »
The technique is to push the muck along to build up a mound and then scoop it out over the side. If near a dead end, push it along then scoop it out over the end.

It's just like you'd use a trowel - push and scoop it out.

I'd avoid pushing dry stuff down the down pipe.

It's all just a variation on a theme, isn't it? Have a look at: www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=60004.msg515015#msg515015

jeff1

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 01:26:22 pm »
Nat, I'll take the 90% and leave the 10% I can't do to others. I've found a solution that enables me to do the job from the ground AND see inside to know what's going on.

Ian, Yes, the scoop is made from BFT. The tube was taken from the handle of an old, discarded lawn mower. Jeff1's Mk 1 was also made from BFT. It looks like some kind of aluminium.

Were getting there Wally  ;D
BFT I thought that meant Battle Fitness Test Lol well it did when I was in the forces.

Well my BFT was an old unger pole bashed cut and shaped.

ftp

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 02:50:45 pm »
Still waiting some footage and reports on Alex's version, it looks nice and strong with the right thread for my Slx pole. I need convincing before parting with some cash.  :)

elite mike

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 03:23:09 pm »
hi wally
another great invention , :D

keep them coming ;D

karygate

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 05:51:17 pm »
think its a great idea . and must be at least £1000 cheaper than a gutter vac.
got me thinking now ::)
gary

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 06:38:09 pm »
It's also quite revealing just how people go about solving the problem. With a background in optics, and years spent spotting new galaxies with his eye pressed up against the key hole kate end of a telescope, it's no surprise really that wally should make this convex mirror breakthrough.

Of course Alex started it all off, and his design certainly does the job, but what does it say about him that the most commented on feature of his product is that it is £46 plus Vat.

Jeff shares his ideas as he'd probably share his last sandwich. His tool works, and it was hammered from an old unger pole. A tool that spent it's life working hard, and now in it's new shape will continue to work hard. Who does that remind you of?

Then there's me, but I haven't shown mine yet. Bet you can't wait.

AJ

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 06:59:35 pm »

Yes, real epic stuff. And the way that we are driving technology forwards is just amazing. I'm particulary impressed with the way that we are finding different ways of using "BFT" to make interesting shaped scoops.

My next mod is going to be teflon coating the tip and fitting a heat shield round the jubilee clip to make sure that it doesn't burn up on re-entry.

The final stage is going to be to test it in near-zero gravity so I can sell it to NASA for clearning space dust from the nooks and crannies on the Space Station.

"BFT" = beaten-flat tubing.

Careful! don't over engineer it. If you have zero gravity, you wont need it at all.
just a thought ;D

jeff1

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2008, 08:07:38 pm »
It's also quite revealing just how people go about solving the problem. With a background in optics, and years spent spotting new galaxies with his eye pressed up against the key hole kate end of a telescope, it's no surprise really that wally should make this convex mirror breakthrough.

Of course Alex started it all off, and his design certainly does the job, but what does it say about him that the most commented on feature of his product is that it is £46 plus Vat.

Jeff shares his ideas as he'd probably share his last sandwich. His tool works, and it was hammered from an old unger pole. A tool that spent it's life working hard, and now in it's new shape will continue to work hard. Who does that remind you of?

Clive I'd buy you a sandwitch if you never had one Lol (and a pint)
Come on Clive lets see this scoop of yours, I posted my mk1 months ago then I posted the wire operated grippers, so now its your turn. ;)

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2008, 08:32:31 pm »

What it tells me is - I have to make money out of this (not that there is any profit on the first batch of these) and you don't  ;D

jeff1

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2008, 08:34:54 pm »
So far out of all the scoops that's been shown, Alex's, is by far the stongest and it also screw fits to any pole.

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2008, 11:57:14 pm »
The technique is to push the muck along to build up a mound and then scoop it out over the side. If near a dead end, push it along then scoop it out over the end.

It's just like you'd use a trowel - push and scoop it out.

I'd avoid pushing dry stuff down the down pipe.

It's all just a variation on a theme, isn't it? Have a look at: www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=60004.msg515015#msg515015

"Push & Scoop", you want to trademark that name before you know who does Wally. Like the mirror idea. :)

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2008, 12:44:25 am »
Clive ... Come on now. Jeff and I have shown you ours. Now it's time for you to show yours off.

If you dare!!!!

Wayne, Thanks for the suggestion. But "Push & Scoop" sounds more like something of interest to dog walkers.

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2008, 12:53:43 am »
How about "Push & Flip" Wally :)

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2008, 08:14:48 pm »
As my reading the tea leaves theory on problem solving seems to fit for you three i'm as interested as anybody to see what it reveals about me.And when I posted the character profiles i hadn't solved it yet.

Well I have now, and as I was hoping I would, I got lucky. So what does it say about me that it's an elegant solution that addresses every suggestion and objection made on the thread. It's an interchangeable tool design that is quick, easy to use, and simple.

True, I haven't made the prototype yet so I can't post a pic .

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2008, 08:23:24 pm »
You sound like Clive Sinclair

;D

jeff1

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2008, 09:47:12 pm »
A brief explanation now will do Clive and after you have built and tested your protor type and your happy with it, then you can post your photo's.

I call this team work, there seem's to be three of us building and testing idea's for a real decent gutter scoop.
I'm really happy with my piece of beaten old metal, it works a treat for me and if I dropped and bust it tomorrow, within an hour I can cut & bash myself another one out, Now that's faster than any Internet delivery lol

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2008, 10:00:45 pm »
I've just done something very quick to give an idea. There is a strengh issue to be addressed but this gives a range of options and versatility. It is secured to a trad pole with electical tape overlapping to give extra grip. I'm quite sure someone must have done this before. 

jeff1

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2008, 10:20:35 pm »
Even with tape on it Clive you will end up with swivel problems, I did the same sort of thing and ended up bolting it on to stop the swivel, I had the same issues with my Mk1,2 & 3 and the bolting I found was needed to make your Job less frustrating.

I had the same issues with strength when I felt my gutter scoop Mk2 was showing signs of snapping and it wouldn't see half a dozen Jobs out, So back into the workshop and salvaged an old guide bar from an old Wood router, I drilled and added it to were it would give most protection, it has now done loads and loads of Jobs and I have no fear of it snapping on me now.

Mk3 Version

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2008, 10:48:07 pm »
I can see that yours is robust, I was attracted to this method because i could switch tools easily, but it may be too weak to work properly. I've got some other, stronger options, but this was my favourite.

jeff1

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2008, 11:05:25 pm »
I haven't taken a picture of it, but on mine I made a scoop to slip  onto the end of the one in the picture that enables me to clean the square guttering,  I take it off and I can do round bottom guttering.

Its simple idea's that make our work safe and easy.

keep working and using yours and you'll come up with several idea's to improve it and make the job that much simpler.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2008, 11:19:41 pm »
Does anyone use the WFP to spray a little water in & rinse the gutter after, or is it not necessary? I'd assume that the scoops would leave  a good but of dirt behind?

jeff1

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2008, 11:30:35 pm »
Mine cleans pretty well.

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2008, 07:01:39 pm »
I shall be making an important announcement shortly, propeling gutter cleaning into a new era, standbye......

jeff1

« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2008, 07:05:02 pm »
Standing By Clive ;)

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2008, 07:18:47 pm »
got visitors at mo but...

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2008, 07:27:51 pm »
Looks the best so far IMO

;D

jeff1

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2008, 07:28:32 pm »
Nice one Clive  ;D There is some time and effort gone into that one, Have you tried it out yet?

The only thing I can see that may cause you the odd problem is the size of the scoop, I kept mine narrow because of some roof tiles almost covering the guttering and leaving very little gap for our tools to fit in.
If you have a clear run that it fits into, come back and tell me how fast you can clean guttering out, I bet on a 3 bed semi will be around five minutes a side.

Give it a try and let us know how you get on.

ftp

« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2008, 08:03:24 pm »
You can get very light plastic trowels in B&Q i use one for conservatory gutters, i drilled several holes in it to allow water to pass through.
 Stangely enough, i'm being drawn towards Alex's scoop as it looks so strong and simple.

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2008, 08:15:44 pm »
Yes it is a bit wide, if you notice the top bit is interchangeable via the wing nut. I have several ideas for other tools, one of them being a narrower (see pic) type trowel.

I was right about the offset too, this isn't offset (the shaft attaching at the corner rather than the middle) because of the narrow gap problems you mention.

I took on board what you said about strenght and this is very strong I have only played with it so far but it seems to work fine. Notice the pulex and the metal angle adapter to give even more veratility (gutters that are set back ove another roof)

I think I've figured a way to put an electical excavator up there to chuck the dirt over the side. This works by our wfp pole hose feeding water to it, and then a larger exit pipe taking the debris over the edge of the gutter. I've bodged something together and it seems to work. (problem anyone standing underneath would get covered in wet muck but i'm trying to figure a way round that.

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2008, 08:19:30 pm »
One of the tools I want is a brush that fits. this is a very narrow addis with long bristles

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2008, 08:21:59 pm »
I already use a stiff patio brush on the end of a pulex.

jeff1

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2008, 08:55:21 pm »
Well Clive I hope you haven't ruined the awning of your caravan by steeling that angle Joint from it Lol

Its looking good, what it needs now is a brush following the scoop and following the brush a hose to rinse clean.

In a few years time we 3 are going to be sat around our PC's laughing at the beginnings of the gutter scoop inventions, we may laugh but they will become a very popular item in any wc toolbox but I hope not the house holders tool box, with all this rain were having my gutter cleaning services this year have tripled over last years work and that will dwindle if it becomes a domestic product.

I only need my simple gutter scoop to remove the extra garden type of weeds from the guttering, once that's removed I then get the lance out.
One thing I do when its lance time, is to remind the customer to remove animals children and them selfs from the area for safety reasons, you can also do this if you produce your electric gutter scoop.

Good luck and keep it going. ;)

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2008, 09:06:19 pm »
Thanks Jeff, the angle adapter is a standard trad pole attachment. The electrical motive power is the battery operated washing up wand shown above.

jeff1

« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2008, 10:23:57 pm »
What RPM does the wand have?? Too fast and it may just flick it up onto the roof or get tangled in the gutter gardens, a slow RPM would be ideal to flick it over the edge.

ftp

« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2008, 06:31:00 pm »
Got visions of that rampant rabbit coming off and propelling itself along the gutter.  ;D
I'm sure their is an American electric gutter chucker about somewhere.

« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2008, 06:46:19 pm »
Got visions of that rampant rabbit coming off and propelling itself along the gutter. ;D
I'm sure their is an American electric gutter chucker about somewhere.

Try this one: www.youtube.com/watch?v=A73AyyI9TjE&

« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2008, 07:56:43 pm »
The robot was quite interesting... I had no idea..... It looked good working, but a couple of vids said it was rubbish, you still have to climb a ladder to insert it and then remote control it while you are up there. The gutter needs to be largish with clear access uninpinged by overhanging roof tiles as many british gutters are.

Mine(washing up wand) works without traction, you push it forward from the ground, and it has a water feed going in, and an exit pipe.I don't think I'll take it any further though.

jeff1

« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2008, 08:11:44 pm »
They always show these video's with a gutter full of dry leaves that are plentyfull in the USA, if it would fit into the UK guttering, I would like to see it try and get the gutter gardens out, I recon it would climb right over it, or come to an abrupt stop.