nathankaye

immersion heater update
« on: March 23, 2017, 10:33:51 am »
Ok so ive been using hot water for some weeks now using a 27inch 2kw immersion heater in a 500l upright insulated tank.

My review is that its brilliant and theres no turning back, not even in summer.
I run it from 10pm until about 7.30am on highest setting and that gets me over 50 degrees C in tank. If ive refilled my van tank full from ibc the starting temp is about 16degrees. So i start the heater from 9pm. Either way you dont want to put your hand in the tank.

Brush end:    ok so ive just cleaned a regular customrs house who about 2wks ago some bratts egged most of the windows.  To get that heat in the tank to the brush end i have my controller (purefreedom) on 75 -80. Now that i plumbed the hose direct to my reel i have no leak issues. The egg could have been bird muck for all i cared, it came off extremely easy, that much so i was laughing to myself.....before cold water lovers say how easy it is with a scrubbing attachment, please understand how stupid that is to say in comparison.

Yes its great for comfort, a warm pole, softer hoses to handle. But the more important side, the cleaning is even more of a joy as its more easier.  Now ive done many years trad and nearly 2yrs cold water wfp and now hot water. Ive tried many different approaches and thats why personnally i feel that ive fine tuned my working style and equipment to be able to knock out the work quickly and effortlessly.

Anybody whos not tried it and is thinking about doing so,, i would strongly recommend it. If your happy to continue to use cold water then that is obviously fine for you.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

nathankaye

Re: immersion heater update
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 10:36:09 am »
Oh an added benefit you can dry your scrims on the radiator  (your tank) or warm the extra t-shirt if it gets a little cooler outside and a 2nd layer is needed.
😆
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 10:47:32 am »
Thanks for post. What temp would you say the water is by 3 in afternoon ?

duncan h

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 11:03:43 am »
Its just another cost I can do without. Also messing about on a night

nathankaye

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 11:12:57 am »
Thanks for post. What temp would you say the water is by 3 in afternoon ?

In my previous post, i have shown my water temp at 8pm before i top it up with water from ibc tank in garden.
So this morning my tank temp was 52.9 degrees. By tonight it will be around 55 -57 degrees.  In course of a full day ive only lost roughly 5 degrees in temp. But as ive said my tank is well insullated. Silver bubble wraped insullation wrapped around my tank twice. It holds it temp very nicely.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

nathankaye

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 11:16:08 am »
Its just another cost I can do without. Also messing about on a night

Theres no messing on a night, fill tank on and plug in extension whilst tanks filling. Job done in less than ten mins.
A bit extra on electric bill but you can also get a smart reader so you can run that cost through your books and it wont be that much more.
But this post is for ones who might be considering it. Im just reporting my findings on using it as it might be useful to someone
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

KS Cleaning

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 02:08:30 pm »
Oh an added benefit you can dry your scrims on the radiator  (your tank) or warm the extra t-shirt if it gets a little cooler outside and a 2nd layer is needed.
😆
Why would you need to dry scrims if you use WFP?

Smurf

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 02:20:13 pm »
I think what Nathen was getting at he has turned the back of the van into an large airing cupboard.

nathankaye

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 03:25:21 pm »
I think what Nathen was getting at he has turned the back of the van into an large airing cupboard.

Yep, just not told mrs as she'll have me hanging clothes up over night too   ;D ;D
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Smurf

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 03:31:41 pm »

Yep, just not told mrs as she'll have me hanging clothes up over night too   ;D ;D

Best not then. lol

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 10:59:50 pm »
Have you had your first electricity bill yet Nath? ;D That's the equivalent of running a kettle for a constant 9.5 to 10.5 hours every day!! I think you may well go back to cold in summer. ;D
Comfortably Numb!

Dry Clean

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 07:18:47 am »
Have you had your first electricity bill yet Nath? ;D That's the equivalent of running a kettle for a constant 9.5 to 10.5 hours every day!! I think you may well go back to cold in summer. ;D

Don't forget the cost of egging the customers properties to make it worthwhile, it all adds up.

Jonny 87

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 07:23:10 am »

Only £2.50 in electric per night.  8)
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Jonny 87

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 07:23:52 am »
If he's in the same tariff as me mind you.

I have mine on for 8 hours and costs 30p per hour to run.

Cheap as chips.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Dry Clean

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 07:36:22 am »

Only £2.50 in electric per night.  8)

Are you sure ? that would be about 12p per unit not sure if mines that cheap.

nathankaye

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2017, 09:23:53 am »
To answer a couple of questions;

Why wet scrims??
Because i still like to do the odd trad work on bungalows.
Also i have loads of scrims from the trad days and they come in handy to dry rain of my water proofs as i work in the rain and also dry back of van ehen doors are open again when its raining!! Its a simple answer when you stop and think about it, which makes it a silly question.

Electric costs:   not had my first bill in yet, but surely its 1kw per hour x 2 (2kw immersion) x hrs used.
Going back to cold in summer: not likely!! If guys charge silly low prices for their work then i can understand why some might. But if you run your work as a business n professionally  ;D :D lol (joking chaps before hissy fitting starts) then your first job of the day will surely cover the electric costs for a while so no im not worried about the electric bill. If the bill is quite higher than expected than adjust some new prices,,,,,,,simples.........come on guys its a business as in oberheads are part n parcel and should be factored in
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Dry Clean

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2017, 09:54:35 am »
To answer a couple of questions;

Why wet scrims??
Because i still like to do the odd trad work on bungalows.
Also i have loads of scrims from the trad days and they come in handy to dry rain of my water proofs as i work in the rain and also dry back of van ehen doors are open again when its raining!! Its a simple answer when you stop and think about it, which makes it a silly question.

Electric costs:   not had my first bill in yet, but surely its 1kw per hour x 2 (2kw immersion) x hrs used.
Going back to cold in summer: not likely!! If guys charge silly low prices for their work then i can understand why some might. But if you run your work as a business n professionally  ;D :D lol (joking chaps before hissy fitting starts) then your first job of the day will surely cover the electric costs for a while so no im not worried about the electric bill. If the bill is quite higher than expected than adjust some new prices,,,,,,,simples.........come on guys its a business as in oberheads are part n parcel and should be factored in

1 kwh is one unit per hour so should be easily worked out.
If you run your business professionally then all costs should be considered carefully and putting up prices doesn't make a
difference, the price you get is the price you get no matter what it costs for you to achieve it.
Therefore as with most costs it comes down to two things, will it make me more money than it costs or will it make my life easier
justifying the extra cost.
As a guy who was easily knocking out 35 properties a day (your words) I cant see how hot is going to make you any quicker
therefore no extra earnings, that fact would also suggest that you haven't been getting anything on the glass that's difficult to
remove therefore it wont make you day and easier, to be easier you have reduce difficult.
If you enjoy hot then work away but don't make out that your some business guru who has discovered the secrete of success.

nathankaye

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2017, 10:55:41 am »
If you run your business professionally then all costs should be considered carefully and putting up prices doesn't make a
difference, the price you get is the price you get no matter what it costs for you to achieve it.
Therefore as with most costs it comes down to two things, will it make me more money than it costs or will it make my life easier
As a guy who was easily knocking out 35 properties a day (your words) I cant see how hot is going to make you any quicker
therefore no extra earnings, that fact would also suggest that you haven't been getting anything on the glass that's difficult to
remove therefore it wont make you day and easier, to be easier you have reduce difficult.
If you enjoy hot then work away but don't make out that your some business guru who has discovered the secrete of success.
[/quote]

Sorry Dry Clean, you might want to re read my comment mate. As i said joking about the professionalism bit etc. So calm down buddy.
I love how people get so passionate  ;D

Also i did say about the calculation as well mate, just to repeat 1kw per hr times 2 then times number of hours used. But thank you for pointing that out. 😁

When people harp on about the cost of hot water and say bet when you get bill you will go back to cold.......the simple answer is NO!   Dispite what you say if i wish to use hot water for whatever part of my business, its part of the business cost and if i wish to incorporate that into my pricing stratergy then so be it. However again if my post is read correctly, i do say that my prices are good enough that my first job of the day will no doubt cover the electric costs for that weeks usage. (If price correctly then surely first job of the day will surely cover electric costs for a while)

So apologies if you think im saying ive hit gold, thats for from it. But yes, 30 or 35 houses a day is achievable pending where your working. For me, its now even easier. Yes mostly im cleaning clean windows, but hot makes it quicker because its hot. If you use hot water you may understand. But also im not the only one picking up new jobs daily or weekly im sure, and it makes light work of first cleans as well. But on a comfort note, its way more comfortable which can for some make working more easier n pleasurable. Which can also motivate and hence speed you up anyway.
Ie if your down in dumps, bet you dont get much work done in a day?

But like i said, these have been my findings.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Dry Clean

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2017, 12:10:21 pm »

Sorry Dry Clean, you might want to re read my comment mate. As i said joking about the professionalism bit etc. So calm down buddy.
I love how people get so passionate  ;D

Also i did say about the calculation as well mate, just to repeat 1kw per hr times 2 then times number of hours used. But thank you for pointing that out. 😁

When people harp on about the cost of hot water and say bet when you get bill you will go back to cold.......the simple answer is NO!   Dispite what you say if i wish to use hot water for whatever part of my business, its part of the business cost and if i wish to incorporate that into my pricing stratergy then so be it. However again if my post is read correctly, i do say that my prices are good enough that my first job of the day will no doubt cover the electric costs for that weeks usage. (If price correctly then surely first job of the day will surely cover electric costs for a while)

So apologies if you think im saying ive hit gold, thats for from it. But yes, 30 or 35 houses a day is achievable pending where your working. For me, its now even easier. Yes mostly im cleaning clean windows, but hot makes it quicker because its hot. If you use hot water you may understand. But also im not the only one picking up new jobs daily or weekly im sure, and it makes light work of first cleans as well. But on a comfort note, its way more comfortable which can for some make working more easier n pleasurable. Which can also motivate and hence speed you up anyway.
Ie if your down in dumps, bet you dont get much work done in a day?

But like i said, these have been my findings.
[/quote]

Nobody is getting passionate Nathan its just your findings make very little sense.

You say it faster so how many properties are you doing now ?
You say its easier so what problems or hard to remove substance's were you getting on the glass to warrant full time hot usage ?
What is your electricity tariff ?
You harp on about your prices being good enough which shouldn't even come into it if the extra expense pays for itself and more.
You say its more comfortable fair enough but that comfort wouldn't be needed on a good summers day but you insist its still
be a must have all year round.
Seriously your knocking out 35 properties a day which you say wasn't a problem infect you said it was easily achieved, what
happened one day that made you think  this is way too hard and I'm taking too much time how can I solve this ?
Not joking its like your searching for problems as an excuse to faff around with hot water, but as I have said whatever makes you happy.
Don't get me wrong, if I ever find myself having to clean egg of glass more than once a year suddenly end up working at the
coast or a swarm of Seagulls engulfs my work area then I will certainly consider hot as a problem solver.

nathankaye

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2017, 12:31:44 pm »
In reference to cost, ill post my tarrif when i get back home if can be arsed to do so.
But harping on about costs in summer im trying to say is it that much in reality to put people of in summer using hot on slug trails or spider poop or tree sap for instance. Its not really is it. Thats the point im trying to make.  So im harping on about cost to counteract ones who moan that its the extra cost that puts them off, when in reality if they take this into account when pricing jobs etc then it shouldnt be an issue.

Yep my work is easy but now its a doddle. Ive said this alot on many threads. Its not that i woke up and said my work is hard one day, BUT why not make it easier for yourself. Im fit and soon 40yrs young 😂 but why not make the working life as easy as possible.  Im like the seven dwalves going to work whistling a merry tune. Theres very little i can do now to make it easier other than employ but why, when it is soooooo easy. Or should i say, MY work how I operate and organise MY work and the houses I clean. I have made small changes that have a great impact at making it easier to do.
Perhaps i should break a sweat and burn some of those breakfast calories off, but why should i???
My work is that easy, next week i should be done by tuesday for the month. But im finishing early taking my oldest daughter to flicks on monday. Why, because i can. I'll finish Wednesdays instead.............oh but it might rain???  Who cares,,,,,,work in it!!! Ive made my work easy and comfortable so i dont waste time off due to a rainy day or a week like i used to in the past. After 15yrs and most on trad, this is the easiest its ever been and im loving it.

Faff with hot water.....are you mad??!  Takes a couple of hrs to strip van and fit the immersion. Job done.......then each night when you top water up, stick extension in and turn on whatever time you wish. How is that hard work.
Cost?? Some like to waste money on alcohol, fAgs or national lottery......i spend a little extra on electric to make my job a joke and you find reason to question it....
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk