29 (53.7%)
No
46.3%
25 (46.3%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Wc Solutions

Flyer drops becoming a waste of time?
« on: February 07, 2015, 04:27:34 pm »
Reason for asking is simply with so many charity bags, pizza menus etc coming through the door every day are our flyers just getting picked up with the rest and straight into the bins...

Gerald Ash

Re: Flyer drops becoming a waste of time?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 04:34:40 pm »
Knock the doors, if not in put flyer through or on no cold callers.
 I`ve done this and get really good results.

slap bash

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 04:40:30 pm »
Flyer through the letter box is old hat and done to may times the road to success is to do something a little different. There has been a few clever things done before that would work.But like so many good ideas they went over the heads of most. Advertising need to be fresh, with a lasting impression that attracts attention. Start thinking out of the box and you will be in the right direction.

dave f

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 04:49:09 pm »
go then give us all a clue

wpclean

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 04:59:22 pm »
It does work, but you have to deliver tens of thousands, and on a regular basis which requires a big outlay.
Like anything else really you get out what you put in.

Smudger

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 05:09:12 pm »
So what are these ideas slap ?

Leaflets have always been low return 0.5 to 2% return (on average) so it's simply a numbers game, solo delivery helps, as does a Saturday or Sunday drop. Good thing with leaflets generally cheap to do ( cost of leaflet + delivering them ) and can be a slow burn we've had enquiries upto 18 months from the drop day.

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Johnny B

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 05:11:36 pm »
In my area there are far, far more letter boxes with 'no junk mail' than there are notices saying 'no canvassers'.

I've always preferred knocking door anyway, because it puts me face to face with my potential customers straight away.

I'm getting more customers through Facebook these days, and these have turned out to be very good customers.

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Tom-01

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 05:13:37 pm »
It does work, but you have to deliver tens of thousands, and on a regular basis which requires a big outlay.
Like anything else really you get out what you put in.

Exactly. If it didn't work we wouldn't constantly be getting Dominos leaflets through our doors. A company like that wouldn't keep doing something if they didn't make money from it.

Speculate to accumulate.

robbo333

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 05:17:49 pm »
Reason for asking is simply with so many charity bags, pizza menus etc coming through the door every day are our flyers just getting picked up with the rest and straight into the bins...

We can all have our opinions to your question, but why don't you just try it yourself and see how you get on?
For me 5,000 leaflets cost about £250 printed and delivered.
Personally, they work very well for me, but it all depends on the area, the quality of the leaflet, the proposition, the quality of the distributors and a few other factors like timing, the weather etc etc.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

Tom-01

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2015, 05:29:44 pm »

We can all have our opinions to your question, but why don't you just try it yourself and see how you get on?
Personally, they work very well for me, but it all depends on the area, the quality of the leaflet, the proposition, the quality of the distributors and a few other factors like timing, the weather etc etc.

Agreed. I'm getting my first big leaflet delivery done in a few weeks time so I will be able to see what happens. At the very least I'd like to make my money back and some profit, then gauge it from there.

David Kent @ KentKleen

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2015, 05:47:28 pm »
IMO, they work very well, but only when done correctly. Its not all about massive numbers. The following WILL increase your response rate=
 1.Repeat delivery to the same addresses works a treat.
 2.Time of delivery is important. (you wont believe me I know)
 3.Branding so people connect the leaflet to your van and uniform are critical for good results.
 4.Having a good reputation in your town. (i.e not dumping customers who ask you to leave them this time)

;D

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2015, 05:53:21 pm »
IMO, they work very well, but only when done correctly. Its not all about massive numbers. The following WILL increase your response rate=
 1.Repeat delivery to the same addresses works a treat.
 2.Time of delivery is important. (you wont believe me I know)
 3.Branding so people connect the leaflet to your van and uniform are critical for good results.
 4.Having a good reputation in your town. (i.e not dumping customers who ask you to leave them this time)

;D

Half of CIU dead in the water before they even start. I must say i enjoy reading your posts and also Darran who posted in this thread. Always bloody good advice!

robbo333

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2015, 06:09:44 pm »

Agreed. I'm getting my first big leaflet delivery done in a few weeks time so I will be able to see what happens. At the very least I'd like to make my money back and some profit, then gauge it from there.

Tom to give you some idea this is the results i've had over the last two years:
5,000 leaflets £250 printed and delivered (I design them myself, ex graphic designer, so it's easy for me).
I usually achieve 20 customers (4 per thousand) at about £18 per house average = £360 per 8 weeks.
Also out of that 20, 3 or maybe 4 will want FSG cleans at about £140 per time. I hate doing them so I charge top dollar.
Out of that 20 custys, i'll probably keep about 15 long term.
If you do the maths I think that's not terrible.
Hope that's helpful.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

Smudger

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2015, 06:36:35 pm »

You will make a profit because hopefully over a year each customer is worth £££'s not just the first clean price, and hopefully will be with you for many years  ;D
Darran

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Mick Kent

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2015, 06:39:09 pm »
Just canvass!
 ;D

David Kent @ KentKleen

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2015, 06:41:22 pm »
I bet there's not many who have delivered 1000 leaflets all in there own envelopes with house numbers and addresses on.
Why bother!  ;D

supernova77

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2015, 06:42:08 pm »
You will make a profit because hopefully over a year each customer is worth £££'s not just the first clean price, and hopefully will be with you for many years  Grin
Darran

Exactly... That's why I've always concentrated more on regular window cleaning work instead of other add on services...

Clean, get paid...
8 weeks later - Clean, get paid...
and so on...

£££

;)

David Kent @ KentKleen

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2015, 06:51:35 pm »
The problem most people have with using leaflets is the spread of customers and response rates.
But then most will do blanket drops of 1000's of leaflets all in one go all at the same time.
Delivering them personally, you can deliver in small batches to the same areas on regular occasions and also choose the time of day you deliver. IMO between 12 and 3 weekdays or 10 till 12 on a Sunday bring in the best results.
It takes time to build up, but once there you can get to a position where you have to stop delivering for a while to get through the first cleans. Happy days. 

Tom-01

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2015, 07:00:25 pm »
You will make a profit because hopefully over a year each customer is worth £££'s not just the first clean price, and hopefully will be with you for many years  Grin
Darran

Exactly... That's why I've always concentrated more on regular window cleaning work instead of other add on services...

Clean, get paid...
and so on...

£££

;)

Just woken up Andy*?

;)

I agree. But also with the add-on services they are big money items so its brilliant for cash flow.

davids3511

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2015, 07:54:17 pm »
Flyer through the letter box is old hat and done to may times the road to success is to do something a little different. There has been a few clever things done before that would work.But like so many good ideas they went over the heads of most. Advertising need to be fresh, with a lasting impression that attracts attention. Start thinking out of the box and you will be in the right direction.
Jesus, this reminds me of when I worked for a yank company. They'd cone over for a week, spout this sorta poope, add in a few 'going forward's' and fly home again.