This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Poll

Flyers a waste of time?

Yes
53.7%
29 (53.7%)
No
46.3%
25 (46.3%)

Total Members Voted: 46

duncan h

Re: Flyer drops becoming a waste of time?
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2015, 07:58:32 pm »
Al I have done is flyers. Me and a take away share delivery charges. £2.50 hour each. Flyers £40 per 5000 (vista print) It usually works out that first clean covers costs, after that all £ in my pocket

Spruce

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2015, 08:51:25 pm »
It does work, but you have to deliver tens of thousands, and on a regular basis which requires a big outlay.
Like anything else really you get out what you put in.

Exactly. If it didn't work we wouldn't constantly be getting Dominos leaflets through our doors. A company like that wouldn't keep doing something if they didn't make money from it.

Speculate to accumulate.

The success rate from a wfp mailer is easy to measure. Number of mailers to number of new inquiries then new customers in the target area. Dominos on the other hand have no way of measuring their mailing success except by sales increase at takeaway level. An increase in sales may or may not be directly related to a recent leaflet drop.

Just because a well known pizza fast food outlet advertises that way doesn't necessarily mean that it's successful. Each outlet will be a franchise and advertising by leaflet will be a head office decision with little input at branch level apart from cost. It will be cheaper than newspaper or radio advertising.

Takeaway menus will always be more attention grabbing than a wfp leaflet, especially if the home owner comes in hungry and sees it.

We tried all sorts of attention grabbing leaflets in the motor trade, but our success rate was less than .04% and dropping. That was 10 years ago.

In order to financially survive at the beginning of the financial crisis in 2008, most dealerships made huge cost cuts.
One of them was to stop regular mailers. Now times have improved, I haven't seen many motor dealer leaflets/mailers, so maybe the writing was on the wall for that sort of advertising anyway. The financial crisis just secured its timing.

I'm in agreement with other posters and still believe that cold calling/canvassing is the most effective method of growing a customer base - it is our experience anyway.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Johnny B

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2015, 09:11:16 pm »
As I have already said, straight door knocking is my favoured method of getting new customers, but I have just come up with the idea of producing some leaflets or dropping business cards in areas where I will be working that day. Has anyone tried this and with what results?

TIA,

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Joey Eastwood

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2015, 10:05:13 pm »
As I have already said, straight door knocking is my favoured method of getting new customers, but I have just come up with the idea of producing some leaflets or dropping business cards in areas where I will be working that day. Has anyone tried this and with what results?

TIA,

John

buisiness cards work for me. when iv canvassed in the past and not had time to call back at houses that wer t in iv dropped a simple buisiness card, company name, what i do, contact details and had quite a bit of success, its different to the usual rubbish that comes thru the door so gets a bit more attention and easily shoved on a pin board in the kitchen rather than folded up with the pizza menus and the charity bags.

personallly i dont read any leaflets that come thru my door, straight in the bin. id pick a buisiness card up and have a look simply because its different
when life throws you water, clean windows

David Kent @ KentKleen

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2015, 11:05:40 pm »
Johnny, we time our leafleting so a van will be working in the same area a few days later, this works very well.
So does targeted leafleting. We sometimes personalize our leaflets for a particular area.
I have ambitious plans for 2015, this includes over 600 new customers. We only leaflet and promote via facebook and are ahead of target already.
As frank would say, 'I love leaflets me' (for the northern lads)

Johnny B

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2015, 11:49:26 pm »
Joey, the use of business cards sounds like a good idea. I too would take more notice of one over a leaflet. I get lots of flyers through my door, and they usually go straight in the bin. A business card would more likely grab my attention.

David, I can see how advance targetting could work. They get the leaflet/card, then they see you in the area a few days later and remember the leaflet, especially if it comes across as specific to them.

Thanks guys, it's given me some serious food for thought.

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Perfect Windows

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2015, 08:19:38 am »
Leaflets don't work.  Don't waste your time.

Vin

Ian101

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2015, 09:16:34 am »

Vin

;D

David Kent @ KentKleen

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2015, 09:44:35 am »
 ;D  ;D

davids3511

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2015, 12:41:15 pm »

Vin
Yeah, we've never had much luck with leaflets either. ;D

slap bash

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2015, 04:17:57 pm »
Flyer through the letter box is old hat and done to may times the road to success is to do something a little different. There has been a few clever things done before that would work.But like so many good ideas they went over the heads of most. Advertising need to be fresh, with a lasting impression that attracts attention. Start thinking out of the box and you will be in the right direction.
Jesus, this reminds me of when I worked for a yank company. They'd cone over for a week, spout this sorta poope, add in a few 'going forward's' and fly home again.
I take it you don`t like my ideas.Maybe its because it does not spoon feed you but leaves you to decide for yourself. 

colin bird

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2015, 05:08:22 pm »
Knock the doors, if not in put flyer through or on no cold callers.
 I`ve done this and get really good results.

+1

colin bird

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2015, 05:11:34 pm »
Just canvass!
 ;D
[/quote

Agreed,I went out yesterday for an hour,picked up three,works out at £500 per year pay rise,happy days

davids3511

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2015, 10:23:11 pm »
Flyer through the letter box is old hat and done to may times the road to success is to do something a little different. There has been a few clever things done before that would work.But like so many good ideas they went over the heads of most. Advertising need to be fresh, with a lasting impression that attracts attention. Start thinking out of the box and you will be in the right direction.
Jesus, this reminds me of when I worked for a yank company. They'd cone over for a week, spout this sorta poope, add in a few 'going forward's' and fly home again.
I take it you don`t like my ideas.Maybe its because it does not spoon feed you but leaves you to decide for yourself. 
Well, if you actually post some ideas I'll be happy to run a critical eye over them for you.

Joey Eastwood

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2015, 10:32:43 pm »
Al I have done is flyers. Me and a take away share delivery charges. £2.50 hour each. Flyers £40 per 5000 (vista print) It usually works out that first clean covers costs, after that all £ in my pocket

so every one of your leaflets is delivered with a chinese menu...

have a lot of large customers??  ;D

£2.50 an hour each is cheap! £5 an hour total below minimum wage lol
when life throws you water, clean windows

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2015, 10:45:38 pm »
Reason for asking is simply with so many charity bags, pizza menus etc coming through the door every day are our flyers just getting picked up with the rest and straight into the bins...
dont put mine in the bin,leaflets are great for lighting the wood burner,keep them coming

Mick Kent

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2015, 10:53:28 pm »
I love you leafleters.
It makes my job much more easy.
Leaflets defo warm an area up for a knock, in london everyone leaflets so when the potential customer asks if the leaflet is mine i just say yes and sign a new custy up from the help of shiners who wait for work to come to them instead of chasing it.
If your going for mansions and posh large properties then maybe leaflets are the way to go as its near impossible to get a yes from these canvassing as they all just ask for a card to get rid of you, for everyday houses with little walking involved then canvassing all day long, none of this re leafleting the same house different times of the day rubbish to get a responce! Just a simple knock once with a simple question asking if they use a window cleaner. Why wait for work when you can go and grab it yourself?

David Kent @ KentKleen

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2015, 11:30:18 pm »

Leaflets DONT work!!

Mick Kent

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2015, 11:38:36 pm »
Just think. If you canvassed instead of leafleting you would have 40 vans out instead of just 4 for all the doors you must have leafleted over and over that would have rathered a face to a business instead of a piece of paper.
Anyway jokes aside well done. Looks verey smart.

David Kent @ KentKleen

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2015, 11:42:20 pm »
Each to there own Mick, thanks tho, hard work but worth it.