woodman

Re: read this (prices / training)
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2004, 08:47:55 pm »
(I, personally, don't believe that it is ethical to simply pay money to display a logo... which in effect makes it, in my eyes, completely worthless.)

What,, you mean like a Franchise Derek ;D

Derek

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2004, 10:33:49 pm »
Trevor

No, The franchises provide sound training within their respective fields.

The Guild of Master Craftesmen is one and there is another highly respected organisation which allows people, on payment of a fee, to place letters after their names this, 'I' believe, gives the perceived impression that a qualification has been awarded when in fact it hasn't.

I withdrew from this organisation because of this practice..  again its a 'me' thing... call it 'principles' if you like.

Derek

Ha ha   I have just read your post again... I fell for that one Hook Line and Sinker ;D

Len Gribble

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2004, 10:40:28 pm »
Yes Derek you did but you are in your own world can I join you then we can franchise it and make big ££££

Len ;D ;D
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2004, 01:44:14 am »
Why I introduced the subject as paid for logos is for two reasons.

When selling yourself on the phone or in person you need to establish your credentials.

As Mark has said unless you are in our industry you would not be aware of the trade organizations.

I think most people are aware of Corgi National Federation of Housebuilders etc,

Therefore if you buy a badge you might convert extra sales.

If you have just joined the business and have already paid out £500 plus to do training with equipment suppliers you may feel a little agrieved to do similiar courses again to get the industries badge ie NCCA
Hence the temptation to fall for Sales patter telling you that you have been selected in your area to join the Guild of Mastercratsmen.

Two if you dial Carpet Cleaners advice lines You are advised not to employ a cleaner unless they ar NCCA.
or more often  IIRC note NCCA not mentioned.

Again someone not a memember of the above might be tempted to join a badge organization just in case another carpet cleaner has implied they are no good because they have not done the NCCA course or IIRC.

However I am not advocating  flying badges of convienence.
In my Sales Carrer I turned down several opportyunities from such organizations.  They openly admitted they were not talking shops. Their product was percieved crediability to the Tradesman somthing all tradesman stride for,
Plus usual discounts on Car Leasing, Telephones, RAC possibly insurance etc

One of the Largest leaflet type operations in our Industry use this logo/ So the public associate this logo as a Carpet Cleaners trade group.

I think Dereck and Len have suggested a that a Franchise uses this logo.

If so the only reason would be to give the Sales pitch more crediability.

Derek

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2004, 09:52:02 am »
Ian

I think that you are confusing the Franchise corporate 'badge'  as allegedly denoting a standard.  
I believe it to be more the corporate image..  as with all organisations there are good and some not so good franchisees

Ian... look into the Corgi registered deal a little more and you will find that it too has its problems which are having to be addressed.
e.g. Did you know that there are different levels of Corgi membership which are not apparent when you see the overall 'Corgi' badge.... it can be quite frightening.

Speaking to a high ranking Trading Standards officer a year or so ago he was pretty scathing about poor quality tradesmen displaying badges particularly those where badges are 'bought' without any other criteria than a cheque... also there was reference to Associations having 'no teeth' to police its members.

As an aside..comments were also made about non sign written tradesmen's vehicles... Trading Standards actively tell the public not to deal with tradespeople who do NOT have their vans signwritten

The NCCA registered their name and log as a result of this conversation hoping that Trading Standards would assist in the policing by prosecution of people using logo's / names illegally..  the truth is they are severely restricted by lack of cash and and Government red tape they therefore 'cherrypick' what they want to do... this doesn't help the situation at all

Even when training has been undertaken there is still an element of trust that the person will put into practice what has been learnt... sadly all too often shortcuts/bad practices are introduced.

That's my early morning soapbox session for today

Have a nice day
Derek

shaun_pearson

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2004, 12:09:41 am »
ken, no i don't support "ONE ONLY" for machine type, brand etc etc, thats communism isn't it :D
as i said i was talking about entry level training.
plumbers, painters etc do not use the same equipment and methods but they are all trained exactly the same and recieve a standard qualification, the only qualification that is recognised.
does that make it clearer :D

shaun

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2004, 12:26:40 pm »
Not sure about that Shaun,

In the papers recentley I have seen adverts,

Train TO be A Plumber

Enter this Momey Making

Train In Days

Institute of Master Plumbers

etc