LWC

Re: white spots...could this be it?
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2008, 07:48:48 pm »
A HA, THE ANSWER, cheers da. i emptied the resin last night and it was manky...so theres my problem  ;) ;D

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2008, 07:53:09 pm »
Some windows look like pvc but are actually powder coated aluminium. Also, some PVC windowsleaves have rubber edging that leaves spots.

This is absolutely correct. Some windows have painted aluminium inserts but it looks like uPVC. It can be very deceptive. By the time you can see milking it has to be pretty serious, a lot of times it is happening but you don't see it

When ever you get spots check the top of the frame by rubbing with your finger and checking for white coming off.
Also, look at the pattern of the spots. You can usually see its running down so its drip related. Or its splashing down from above having come off the brickwork or sills above.

Spots don't appear out of thin air. As I have learned through many such problems there is always a reason for it. 

Hot water speeds up this removal process IMO. Problem windows...use cold water.
Have to agree that if it is breaking down oxy then hot will speed it up as it eats in more, think of it of washing up in a bowl of cold water yes it will get rid of grease but will take longer, hot water eats through it quickly. thats IMO

Londoner

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2008, 07:08:31 am »
Some frames (most?) come good after a few cleans. Presumably this is because all the loose paint has gone. So my technique of trying to avoid disturbing the stuff is probably 100% wrong.

Perhaps its better to bite the bullet and try to get rid of it.?

Pj

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2008, 07:34:15 am »
Thats my method ;)

I scrub everything I can.  Scrub until it runs clean and clear.

edd

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2008, 08:20:59 pm »
matt go to messenger

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2008, 11:13:41 am »
A HA, THE ANSWER, cheers da. i emptied the resin last night and it was manky...so theres my problem  ;) ;D

LWC, Surely you take a water reading on a regular basis, to make sure the water you are using is at a acceptable level for cleaning windows?

Peter

LWC

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2008, 12:43:21 pm »
yes sure, been 000 for a long time and just went to 001 amonth or so ago

Peter Fogwill

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2008, 05:09:30 pm »
Are you sure then the meter is working properly?  If the TDS reading is 1, and the meter is working properly, then it shouldn't be causing the problem on the glass.

Peter

LWC

« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2008, 05:11:19 pm »
i took the resin vessel out and it was manky, brown on top and the a slush in the bottom. its been in there over 2 years. i think its just given up