JSMC

finding work and staying off peoples areas
« on: January 12, 2008, 09:25:59 am »
ok guys if I do go into this window cleaning game I will most likely get some business from GF's father. A question i ask myself a lot is do you guys go into areas wher eothers work and look for business? I am unsure of where people work around my area and wouldn't want to be stepping on peoples toes.

Dean Aspects

Re: finding work and staying off peoples areas
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 09:32:58 am »
Targeting another window cleaners work is a definate no no but you do have to work so need to get jobs so canvassing areas is not a problem just set your own prices and dont be swayed by cheaper/dearer window cleaners prices

No window cleaner owns an area so canvass where you want to
 also try being friendly with local window cleaners as they may pass work on or be able to tell you where their is work available the downside of this is you may get their problem jobs but it will be a start
Good luck

Dean

Mhall

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 11:40:59 am »
Targeting another window cleaners work is a definate no no

Absolute rubbish! Window cleaning is like any other business, go out and try and get all the business you can.

You don't hear McDonalds saying "We can't open up in this area, theres a Burger King other the road"

JSMC

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 11:43:57 am »

Absolute rubbish! Window cleaning is like any other business, go out and try and get all the business you can.

You don't hear McDonalds saying "We can't open up in this area, theres a Burger King other the road"

so you would be cool a guy coming onto your area and undercutting you?

Dean Aspects

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 11:51:56 am »
Whats absolute rubbish about my advice what you are telling him to do is foolish if you go out and target a window cleaners work then you are asking for trouble and could result in a serious problem if the window cleaner is not a nice person
My advice was to target different areas so that the likelyhood of one window cleaners round being targeted is limited
In future read the whole post you fool  >:(

Dean

johnny_h

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 12:05:36 pm »
what i do is to chat to every window cleaner i meet in the area and warn them that im putting flyers about but let them know im not trying to undercut or nick work of all the window cleaners i have met in 2 plus years only 2 have told me not to start as they have all the business in the area both have turned out to be halfwit morons both hated by the other cleaners and full of the horse stuff and if someone is not happy with their present cleaner
they are to sack them before you take them onto your books has always worked for me
AUDI VIDE TACE

East coast window cleaning Services

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 12:14:01 pm »
Dont like that word undercut why do you need to undercut theres plenty of work to go round
P&R Window Cleaning

Richy L

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 12:18:00 pm »
if you target other peoples work then and "undercut" them i think thats pretty pathetic.
Theres plenty of work out there. why does anyone need to try to stop people earning a living.? what if someone did it to you?

Mhall

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 12:43:13 pm »
Who said anything about undercutting?  ::)

Get realistic Aspects, are you running a business or not.

As for not upsetting other window cleaners incase they are not a nice person, cmon now grow some nuts.

I have never undercut to get work but if a customer wants me to replace their current cleaner, i will do as long as they inform the other party first.

JSMC

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 01:03:16 pm »
Who said anything about undercutting?  ::)

Get realistic Aspects, are you running a business or not.

As for not upsetting other window cleaners incase they are not a nice person, cmon now grow some nuts.

I have never undercut to get work but if a customer wants me to replace their current cleaner, i will do as long as they inform the other party first.

i think the last section is the way i'd operate. I'd only take on work if they were not happy with their current cleaner. no point in stealing business from people.

Dean Aspects

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 03:24:26 pm »
MHall yes i am running a business but obviously in a different way to you and have done very well from it for the past twelve years if you want to go round taking other peoples work then good for you do as you please

i like you never mentioned undercutting so i dont know what you are on about

i have my own pricing and i target the areas i want to but not at the expense of my fellow window cleaner it probably comes down to your own personality as to the way you run and operate a business and also areas and type of work maybe in the big city your attitude will work but in my small backwater it will not

AM I BEING CLEAR ENOUGH FOR YOU

Dean

steve m

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 03:38:15 pm »
the first thing I do in any area is put flyers out. If anyone wants a window cleaner they will ring. As far as undercutting goes, I have my own prices and if they are cheaper than the windw cleaner in that area the so be it. I wont adjust my prices for any other window cleaners in the area the same as I wouldnt take on any house ifit looks like they already have one

Ian Lancaster

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 03:42:31 pm »
All this strikes me as nonsense.  I canvass wherever I want.  I leaflet, then follow up with a door knock.

You can't "target" another window cleaners work unless his customers are unhappy with him.

You knock, the householder says "No thank you, I've got one already"  So what are you going to do then?  Tell them they've got to move over to you or you'll bash 'em with an iron bar?

You can't poach another man's work unless you ask the customer how much they're paying, then offer to do it for less.  Anyone who does this is stupid, because they'll make enemies who could be very nasty, and the customers they gain won't be worth having because they'll drop you for the next one who comes along.

Anyone who does a good job has nothing to fear from competition, so we should all be running our businesses on that basis, and living and working side by side with no "my patch - your patch" attitudes.

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 03:53:01 pm »
All this strikes me as nonsense.  I canvass wherever I want.  I leaflet, then follow up with a door knock.

You can't "target" another window cleaners work unless his customers are unhappy with him.

You knock, the householder says "No thank you, I've got one already"  So what are you going to do then?  Tell them they've got to move over to you or you'll bash 'em with an iron bar?

You can't poach another man's work unless you ask the customer how much they're paying, then offer to do it for less.  Anyone who does this is stupid, because they'll make enemies who could be very nasty, and the customers they gain won't be worth having because they'll drop you for the next one who comes along.

Anyone who does a good job has nothing to fear from competition, so we should all be running our businesses on that basis, and living and working side by side with no "my patch - your patch" attitudes.
Good Post that is Ian, and so so true.

Ian

bluez

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2008, 05:42:58 pm »

Well said mhall I agree, market and be damned.
hi

Dean Aspects

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2008, 05:47:32 pm »

Well said mhall I agree aspects is talking throught his arse, market and be damned.

Why am i talking as you put it "out my arse"??
I have loads of work as do most window cleaners in this area we help each other here
and it works rather well as i have said before if you are happy running your business that way then do so it is no skin off my nose

Dean

bluez

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2008, 05:54:11 pm »
Sorry Dean
I was just about to delete that, I didnt mean it to sound that bad, I dont agree with you, but it is your opinion and a valid one.

I get a bit peed off when I hear the old "my patch" & "undercutting" line especially when it is said to someone who is just getting into the business and has plenty to focus on without worrying about other window cleaners and what they charge.

This is a business not a vocation IMO :)
hi

Dean Aspects

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2008, 06:03:25 pm »
Bluez appolgy accepted i dont believe in the "my patch" window cleaners either
but out of respect for local window cleaners i know i steer clear of their work

Having said that i will be over the next couple of months be canvassing certain house types and commercial whether they already have a window cleaner i do not know

the point i am trying to put across is to target one window cleaners round is a no no

I hope i have cleared that up

Dean

Davo

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2008, 06:13:42 pm »
How can you possibly target another cleaners round, it is virtually impossible, unless you follow him arround for a month and write down the addresses that he cleans ( Dont think this is very likely).

No matter where another cleaner works there will be properties he doesnt cover, even if he says there all his.

Its a free market, you go where you want to go. Price at your price, if you get the work you get the work. If another cleaner loses out what are you supposed to do?

Deliberately undercutting another cleaner to get work isnt the way forward.

Price buyers will drop you if they get a lower price, who wants to build a round of "price buyers".

Mark

Dean Aspects

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2008, 06:20:35 pm »
I give up!!!
Run your businesses as you see fit and i will run mine as i see fit
I think in future i will keep my advice to my self

Dean