ian harper

Electric Truck Mount
« on: August 04, 2013, 10:47:14 pm »
http://www.cleaning-carpet.co.uk/essex/electric-truck-mount/

Respects to this guy for building this.

I would have gone the Kit car model. take all the parts from a high spec portable and used them in a custom chassis and added the extra parts in with a self build kit.

some of the mods I would do is go for a smaller recovery tank and even alone prowler lines this would give you a long vac hose run as you dont have to fill a big tank with air.

maybe use the cfr method as again the air gap is always small.

third vac

if you used cfr as donor you would have good heat.

power from leads mounted on front from customers house so no gen. have you seen cfr new power leads that have screw attachments so that would help.

water could be from hose on baffle tank or on board.

if you think about most jobs you can pull up outside so the only extra run would be from van to door. so the power would work with that extra vac and small recovery.

lots of other things you might try is hose size, no recovery or fresh water tanks.

How would you design a "Kit Carpet Cleaning Machine"

peter maybury

Re: Electric Truck Mount
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 11:05:12 pm »
there is probably a lot of us in this industry that have done similar things and after spending uncountable hours of time and wasting a lot of money, realise that we still have nothing remotely comparable to a genuine truckmount. At the time that i was doing such things, I was unaware of what was available on the market. This was long before the internet became popular. In these days there is less excuses for such ignorance.
The look on  the faces of the woodbrige guys who were demonstating their electric truckmount said it all after Simon Gerrard's titan went over the area they had been cleaning for hours.

Peter
www.carpetcleanercardiff.comhttp://

john martin

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 11:28:30 pm »
there is probably a lot of us in this industry that have done similar things and after spending uncountable hours of time and wasting a lot of money, realise that we still have nothing remotely comparable to a genuine truckmount. At the time that i was doing such things, I was unaware of what was available on the market. This was long before the internet became popular. In these days there is less excuses for such ignorance.
The look on  the faces of the woodbrige guys who were demonstating their electric truckmount said it all after Simon Gerrard's titan went over the area they had been cleaning for hours.

Peter

Dont think its fair to sum up the Mytee Escape like that based on one demo   ....
The carpet result difference you saw could purely be down to heat  ....  the escape had small gas burner custom added by woodbridge  ....   did hey even turn it up fully during the demo  .  Im sure a full size heat source ( little giant ) or additional electric inline could have made a difference .
No one who felt the hose end dissed the vac performance ...

john martin

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 11:38:40 pm »
http://www.cleaning-carpet.co.uk/essex/electric-truck-mount/

Respects to this guy for building this.

I would have gone the Kit car model. take all the parts from a high spec portable and used them in a custom chassis and added the extra parts in with a self build kit.

some of the mods I would do is go for a smaller recovery tank and even alone prowler lines this would give you a long vac hose run as you dont have to fill a big tank with air.

maybe use the cfr method as again the air gap is always small.

third vac

if you used cfr as donor you would have good heat.

power from leads mounted on front from customers house so no gen. have you seen cfr new power leads that have screw attachments so that would help.

water could be from hose on baffle tank or on board.

if you think about most jobs you can pull up outside so the only extra run would be from van to door. so the power would work with that extra vac and small recovery.

lots of other things you might try is hose size, no recovery or fresh water tanks.

How would you design a "Kit Carpet Cleaning Machine"

That Terry Brevic guy has been welding his cooking vats together for years  ...
The machine is only slightly less crude than the man himself if you read his OT rants .

Forget the Americans  , this is 230v land  :)
we can have 4 vacs from a regular pulg socket  ....   the yanks have to use all kind to splitters and dryer sockets to get more than two going ...  or a huge generator ..

All the bits you would need for a DIY is available online of from would local hardware store  ....   gutting a portable would be a laborious way to it imo

Steve Gunn

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 06:40:51 am »
To be fair this was a picture of a pad after it had been cleaned by the electric t/m and the titan

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 07:08:47 am »
The problem with the Escape and other van mounted electric machines is that you have to be able to park very close to your job and be able to run multiple electric cables to it in all weathers and perhaps deal with customer objections to you sapping so much power from their property.
To be fair putting an Escape up against a Titan 875 is like putting a Reliant Robin against a Formula One car, but even so there shouldn't have been such a big visual difference between the patch of carpet at the TACCA day but some of that can be put down to the difference between the fixed head of the Mytee T-Rex and the Rx20/HE.

I disagree with John, the difference wasn't just because of the heat (270 degrees) against barely warm, it was all about massive power and that is what you forgo when you if you make the mistake of thinking that their is any such thing as an electric truck mount.

Simon

Nick Attwood

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 07:10:21 am »
Just don’t get it myself!an Electric T-Mount?? why? What are you going to befit from?? and if you do why not use a proper blower run by an electric motor!

John Kelly

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 08:21:33 am »
You can't get an electric motor powerfull enough to run a blower off 13 amp mains.

john martin

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 10:58:43 am »
The problem with the Escape and other van mounted electric machines is that you have to be able to park very close to your job and be able to run multiple electric cables to it in all weathers and perhaps deal with customer objections to you sapping so much power from their property.
To be fair putting an Escape up against a Titan 875 is like putting a Reliant Robin against a Formula One car, but even so there shouldn't have been such a big visual difference between the patch of carpet at the TACCA day but some of that can be put down to the difference between the fixed head of the Mytee T-Rex and the Rx20/HE.

I disagree with John, the difference wasn't just because of the heat (270 degrees) against barely warm, it was all about massive power and that is what you forgo when you if you make the mistake of thinking that their is any such thing as an electric truck mount.

Simon

Multiple electric cables ?   its two !   ....  cable tie them together and its one   

The demo did not show its capabilities due to the lack of heat  and as you point out the type of dreadful carpet not suiting the T-rex .
Woodbridge should have switched to a wand or brought along a piece of carpet representing the domestic market in which the Escape could be used successfully .

Most domestics , depending on your area  , you can park right up the door .

john martin

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 11:13:16 am »
Just don’t get it myself!an Electric T-Mount?? why? What are you going to befit from?? and if you do why not use a proper blower run by an electric motor!

Yes , like john says , the Electric motor and Blower machine we've seen in the past are less efficient than the 4motors combined in the Escape .

Benefits of an ETM  , most who've used a Bane in the past seem to rate its use for convenience  ,  low maintenance and running costs  ,   even though it was about three times less powerful than the Escape .

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 11:32:31 am »

Simon

What about third floor apartments and other hard to reach places? The gamble for anyone investing in an eot is that they will be able to operate it every type of situation and that could be a problem.

Simon

john martin

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 12:21:26 pm »

Simon

What about third floor apartments and other hard to reach places? The gamble for anyone investing in an eot is that they will be able to operate it every type of situation and that could be a problem.

Simon

True ..  but im sure most users would have a small portable and a rotary in the van also anyway .

Ed Valentine

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 05:25:42 pm »
IMHO, This isn't a question about One electric TM being more powerful than another because that can be had by plugging in here, there, and everywhere.

Instead I would imagine its more about achieving MAXIMUM performance on 2 cords from one location (rather than having 3-4-5-6 cords) and able to run a reasonable distance (150'-200') from ones vehicle and achieve clean, dry carpets. Anything greater than Maximum means more cords, more inconvenience, and hassles.

I know this to be true because I have experienced it going way back to the early 70's.

I wanted then, as Operators demand now, convenience, performance, and as dry of carpeting/fabrics as I could achieve without the hassles of blowing circuits, and/or laying down more cords from one location.

Therefore, there are "options" out there for anyone researching for a ETM and who desires a portable for high-rise and security jobs. That's referred to as: "Versatility". ;)

Best to all;
Ed Valentine

peter maybury

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 05:32:17 pm »
My post is based on years of messing around trying to build my own stuff and spending time going around the country seeing what like minded people were doing in other areas. Not just seeing the look on the woodbridge guys at the tacca day, I have seen that look many times before, from people brining their "truckmount powered electric machines" to clean carpets alongside me.
There are a lot of arguments and to be honest I have had so many different setups there is just so much sense in having the real thing rather something that others are trying to emulate. I do a lot of rentals where there is no electricity. By the time you cover all the angle you might as well get the right tool in the first place. Some will still argue with somebody who has wasted so much of his time doing the things being talked about but wise words often fall on deaf ears. I wish that I had put the time spent experimenting on  the machinery side into marketing and other aspects of the business

Peter

Doug Holloway

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 06:27:43 pm »
Hi Guys

Why not just have a proper TM and an electric machine as back up. LM can often be used when there are access issues.

Bane machines have a reputation for reliability because they were designed to work well within their capabilities.

These electric Truck mounts will be expensive to maintain as the vacs breakdown.

Cheers

Doug

peter maybury

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2013, 06:40:29 pm »
The hotter you go the less life there is in an electric vac motor The bane was a really reliable machine but they were about £12,000.
They still keep their value second hand and the real advantage that people bought them for was the fuel saving and not the performance in comparison to a truckmount.
Truckmounts are so reliable these days, I spend far less on mine than I used to spend keeping the electrical equipment needed to do large areas going.

Peter

john martin

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2013, 06:42:57 pm »
My post is based on years of messing around trying to build my own stuff and spending time going around the country seeing what like minded people were doing in other areas. Not just seeing the look on the woodbridge guys at the tacca day, I have seen that look many times before, from people brining their "truckmount powered electric machines" to clean carpets alongside me.
There are a lot of arguments and to be honest I have had so many different setups there is just so much sense in having the real thing rather something that others are trying to emulate. I do a lot of rentals where there is no electricity. By the time you cover all the angle you might as well get the right tool in the first place. Some will still argue with somebody who has wasted so much of his time doing the things being talked about but wise words often fall on deaf ears. I wish that I had put the time spent experimenting on  the machinery side into marketing and other aspects of the business

Peter

I can see arguments for and against ETMs  , portables and Truckmounts  ....  
but someone buying an Escape doesn't fall into the  ' wasting time messing in your shed category '  as its ready to go to work as is .
The reason the Demo didn't work well is because the T-rex rotary didn't make good contact with that particular carpet  .... little to do with the Escapes capability of water recovery .
The same has been noted with the T-rex on the US forums .

The Escape has the most performance of 2cords currently available on any machine  , as it has both high lift and high CFM   .....   unlike the twinvac parallel pretenders .

It also has 2000psi ... APO .. and flood pumpout  , which would be too heavy and impractical in a portable .

john martin

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2013, 08:15:04 pm »
Hi Guys

Why not just have a proper TM and an electric machine as back up. LM can often be used when there are access issues.

Bane machines have a reputation for reliability because they were designed to work well within their capabilities.

These electric Truck mounts will be expensive to maintain as the vacs breakdown.

Cheers

Doug

Thats a good point , but if your a bit savvy you can get the exact motors from centralvacuummotors.com   for 85+ import
Cant think of any other major running expensive your likely to encounter .

wynne jones

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2013, 08:54:46 pm »
Like Scottie says, its the laws of physics. You will never match a fuel based TM. Work hard, save up and buy a proper one.
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

john martin

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2013, 09:26:24 pm »
Like Scottie says, its the laws of physics. You will never match a fuel based TM. Work hard, save up and buy a proper one.

You can measure most things in Physics    :)  ...

It measures about the same as an 18hp 36 blower .

This is a Mytee Escape and T-rex on a more suitable carpet   ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjI5Wk_LKx0