LWC

Free website
« on: November 11, 2007, 11:26:51 pm »
This may have been on here before. I see alot of you asking about costs and all that. BUT microsoft can offer you a nice shiney free one. Proper domain name and email address

Dead easy to use. Update it in seconds.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/officelive/default.aspx

Check it out...if your un sure, go look at my web site

http://www.ladderless-window-cleaner.co.uk

Did that all myself and am well chuffed with it

When siging up it does ask you for your card details. This is to prove who you are and if you took any extras out. Ive had my site around a year now. NO charges

;)

paulstevens

Re: Free website
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 11:34:21 pm »
hi LWC i saw that but wasn't too sure what the outcome would be but looking at your site. im gonna sign up now something for nothing. you also get a free .co.uk domain.
Quality
Paul

Neil271052

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 09:02:10 am »
That looks good.

I'm going to have a look.  :)
Cheers,
Neil

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 09:58:54 am »
can see in time stories being put on here that  websites are rubbish, dont work ect etc

Bobs Window Cleaning

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 10:48:40 am »
So Windowwashers, what do you think of this? It seem ok.

Bob
Why oh Why did he spell my name as bod & not bob on my wedding invites.

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 10:59:22 am »
So Windowwashers, what do you think of this? It seem ok.

Bob
I took a quick look, does look ok, my only worry is the catch to it, also from what I read there is extras to pay it you need simple thing (I could be wrong there)
They do not say about transfering away from them if you need to, and the site is theres not yours.
Marketing is the whole point of having a website not making it look all pretty and top level, pointless having a free site if no one finds it, I speak to people all the time about why their site is not working, and I guess the more that take the free site the more work I will get in the future 1 step forword 2 steps back  ;)

will say one of the sites I looked at looked very nice (they forgot about the marketing though)
My prices are not expensive if you need a website that will work  ;)

Neil271052

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 11:55:07 am »
can see in time stories being put on here that  websites are rubbish, dont work ect etc

Why?

I've had a free webs site for my other interest (wristwatches) for years and never a problem.
Cheers,
Neil

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 12:03:47 pm »

Why?

I've had a free webs site for my other interest (wristwatches) for years and never a problem.
not everyone is like you neil, and ones that do not have a knowledge to do online marketing it is a no no, then there is navigation and the list goes on. if you know how to do these then I would say it is worth a try, still not sure about the whole thing as free (will have a cost somewhere along the line, domain names cost money to register, and no company would just give things like this away for free). and the transfering out part if you wanted to (I am guessing you cannot or have to pay a high price for or if server is slow and gets alot of downtime, will drive traffic away once someone goes to a site that is not working 90% of the time they never go back again.
I have done this for many years so no quite a bit about it. I got caught on a free name about 10 years ago the company would not let me transfer the name unless I paid £80, would not let me have the site I designed free as it was not mind it was theirs. All of these thing need serious consideration before jumping in feet first.

martindrz400

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 06:32:12 pm »
great website not complicated like some easy to read and not to many paGES great work WISH I HAD ONE

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 06:52:15 pm »
great website not complicated like some easy to read and not to many paGES great work WISH I HAD ONE
well you now no to places to get one  ;)

Dean Aspects

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 06:57:24 pm »
Nice site thats who i have used as i know little to nothing about computers i found it easy to use and am quite happy with how it has turned out
p.s i have not been charged a penny either :D

Dean

martindrz400

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 06:59:06 pm »
i wouldnt no were to start  !

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2007, 07:22:19 pm »
Martin if you want a site that will get you more business you have my number if you want a site just for the sake of saying you have one get one free. I can bet money that the people that dont have a clue lose money even thought is costs them nothing to start, just because you are not paying money does not mean it does not cost you anything. These are wise words if you understand the points that are being made.

Ian

m.b.s.

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2007, 10:05:42 pm »
Martin if you want a site that will get you more business you have my number if you want a site just for the sake of saying you have one get one free. I can bet money that the people that dont have a clue lose money even thought is costs them nothing to start, just because you are not paying money does not mean it does not cost you anything. These are wise words if you understand the points that are being made.

Ian
i agree with ian i dont have a web site or know a lot about one had a look on the live web site free it cannot be it askes for credit card details ian windowashers is a window cleaner and is trying to help other window cleaners not ripping them off take a look at his web site he seemes to know what he is doing at least with ian you know were he is every night if you have any probs  ian you could do with a few more windowcleaners on your site thou hope i win then i can be on there too

nat

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2007, 10:26:38 pm »
This may have been on here before. I see alot of you asking about costs and all that. BUT microsoft can offer you a nice shiney free one. Proper domain name and email address

When siging up it does ask you for your card details. This is to prove who you are and if you took any extras out. Ive had my site around a year now. NO charges

;)

it looks like your site is set up to be seen/picked up by search engines but only on your home page, you need to add more keywords, more description,  more in your title, add a links page, link more pages together within your site, have a few links on each page, these will all help to be seen more by engines. there are more ways but all the above will help it along,
do you know your success rate? do you know what traffic your are getting to your site?

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2007, 10:29:34 pm »

Ian
i agree with ian i dont have a web site or know a lot about one had a look on the live web site free it cannot be it askes for credit card details ian windowashers is a window cleaner and is trying to help other window cleaners not ripping them off take a look at his web site he seemes to know what he is doing at least with ian you know were he is every night if you have any probs  ian you could do with a few more windowcleaners on your site thou hope i win then i can be on there too
I am doing very well getting window cleaners on ym site have you seen my areas page, this will grow  ;)

niceandclean

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2007, 10:40:46 pm »

;)

it looks like your site is set up to be seen/picked up by search engines but only on your home page, you need to add more keywords, more description,  more in your title, add a links page, link more pages together within your site, have a few links on each page, these will all help to be seen more by engines. there are more ways but all the above will help it along,
do you know your success rate? do you know what traffic your are getting to your site?

So this is how you get further up on the search engines??

nat

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2007, 10:43:03 pm »
yes it all helps!

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2007, 10:47:27 pm »

;)

So this is how you get further up on the search engines??
that is some of the ways  ;)

niceandclean

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2007, 10:47:31 pm »
Cool, thats interesting, thanks!

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2007, 10:50:20 pm »
Cool, thats interesting, thanks!
one more tip, get it wrong and you can do the opposite effect and even get banned from search engines  ;)

nat

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2007, 10:51:26 pm »
do not repeat words over and over, get as any variations to your business relevance as possible

a lot of people used to use invisible keywords, by that i mean have reems and reems of keywords, links etc etc on the web pages but make it the same colour as the background so you couldn't see it but search engines would pick them up, nowadays robots pick up on this and will throw you off the search pages

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2007, 10:53:58 pm »
do not repeat words over and over, get as any variations to your business relevance as possible!
these also have to be in the right places for them to work  ;)

nat

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2007, 10:55:27 pm »
as long as there in your, meta tags, description, title, keywords they will be found

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2007, 10:58:20 pm »
as long as there in your, meta tags, description, title, keywords they will be found
you will also find that keywords do not have as much weight as they used to, get the keywords wrong and they do give you a worse placing, the trick on a search engine is not just get to the top, it is staying there  ::)

Thats enough tips from me for today.

nat

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2007, 11:00:19 pm »
you will also find that keywords do not have as much weight as they used to, get the keywords wrong and they do give you a worse placing, the trick on a search engine is not just get to the top, it is staying there  ::)

it must be a trick i'm good at then WW cause i've never had a problem staying there by following this guide

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2007, 11:07:29 pm »

it must be a trick i'm good at then WW cause i've never had a problem staying there by following this guide
good one you Nat  ;), what is your website address by the way.

Ian

nat

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2007, 11:08:24 pm »
i don't have one yet  ;) ;D

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2007, 11:11:49 pm »

I am now well confused if you dont have a website, how can you get to the top of the search engines and stay there  ???

nat

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2007, 11:15:54 pm »
i never said MY site i just said i never had trouble staying there, its sites i've done for other people

niceandclean

« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2007, 11:44:33 pm »
Thanks for the tips guys!  :)

nat

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2007, 11:52:25 pm »
no probs, have you got a site niceandclean?

niceandclean

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2007, 05:34:28 pm »
no probs, have you got a site niceandclean?

No not at the moment, having one designed as we speak. Just wanted to know some questions to ask. Thanks.

LWC

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2007, 08:00:13 pm »
hi nat, thanks for your advice. yeh i do see my traffic. and i thinks its good! this month so far, so just november ive had 500 views, 120 unique ones

and my keywords are workings, im being found from ladderless window cleaning. and if you type in laddeless window cleaner oswestry...or shropshire. mine comes up

brightnclean

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2007, 10:44:51 pm »
I think it's a beta and wont be free for long.

Here is a quote from the website for getting this so called free website.

We also require a credit card to facilitate payment of services during the beta (for example, the purchase of additional domain names) as well as at the conclusion of the beta period, when customers will be asked if they would like to continue using our services on a paid, monthly subscription basis. With your explicit permission, we can establish monthly billing using your credit card information. You will be able to continue using our services without interruption and without having to submit additional account information.

The site addy is http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/officelive/FX101955581033.aspx#1

So they have ur card details.. you have selected your domain name and spent the time developing your site. It's a no-brainer why they are doing it for free for a lil while  :o

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2007, 12:40:13 am »

We also require a credit card to facilitate payment of services during the beta (for example, the purchase of additional domain names) as well as at the conclusion of the beta period, when customers will be asked if they would like to continue using our services on a paid, monthly subscription basis. With your explicit permission, we can establish monthly billing using your credit card information. You will be able to continue using our services without interruption and without having to submit additional account information.

The site addy is http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/officelive/FX101955581033.aspx#1

So they have ur card details.. you have selected your domain name and spent the time developing your site. It's a no-brainer why they are doing it for free for a lil while  :o
cant wait to see there charges, I new there would be a twist to it, hope the people that registered there name free dont get stitched up to much, (i did 10 years ago with a so called free name and had to pay £80 then a hosts fees on top  just to get back where I started., nearly forgot I bet they dont let you transfer your website either   ::)) For new people that come on here and read try me I am open and upfront about my charges.

mark dew

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2007, 01:17:14 am »

All you need to do is 'lose' your credit card and get a replacement. There won't be charges sprung on you then.
Still, as said, nothing in life is free.

LWC

« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2007, 07:43:56 am »
ive had mine for a year. no charges.

it clearly states that IF they are gonna start charging you, they will let you know and you can decide what you want to do about it

im very happy with what ive had, easy to use. i dont know why al of you arebad mouthing it, you havent even tried it. as i said they will tell you if they are gonna charge.