DASERVICES

ladders are dangerous
« on: September 08, 2007, 08:15:15 pm »
I meant drivers of mobility scooters ;D

Taken from http://www.scarborougheveningnews.co.uk/news/Window-cleaner-hit-by-scooter.3173238.jp

News

Local News National News Schools & CollegesBusiness News CrimeHealthRoads & HighwaysCondolencesSEN TVQuirky CornerAround Town

Coast and SeaClubs and OrganisationsFire Ambulance and Police NewsHeritage NewsCharity FundraisingLifeboat NewsSt Catherines Hospice NewsNorth Bay NewsSouth Bay NewsSouth Cliff NewsCoast and SeaTown CentreGalleries

Evening News GalleriesReader GalleriesSchool Prom GalleriesBuy Evening News PhotosSport

Latest National Sport Local Sport NewsFootball Junior Sport Cricket Indoor sport Rugby Raceline TipsFeatures

Big Night OutScarborough People Mick Jefferson's Scarborough DiaryDear Faith Yesterdays Literary links Cafe TastersLocal Lives Local PeopleCrimes Of The CenturyEntertainments

Cinema Theatre Music Latest Entertainment News TV guideMovie TrailersThe Film GuruThe ArtsEvents and FestivalsSEN:GamesInteractive

The Big DebateThe ForumContact usNewspaper subscriptionsSEN TV

SENTV Pets And AnimalsSENTV SportSENTV Local LifeSENTV NostalgiaSENTV Weird And WonderfulSENTV NewsSENTV Interactive VideoRegional Sites

Beverley TodayBridlington TodayDriffield TodayMalton TodayPocklington TodayWhitby Today Community

Ayton TodayBurniston TodayCloughton TodayEastfield Today   What's this? Email a friend
Print article
Increase text size
Decrease text size
Be the first to comment on this article...

Published Date: 05 September 2007
Premium ArticleTo read this article in full you must have registered and have a Premium Content Subscription with this site.
Subscribe Registered Article To read this article in full you must be registered with the site.
Sign InRegisterWindow cleaner hit by scooter

« Previous « PreviousNext » Next »
View GalleryA WINDOW cleaner fell 10ft on to the pavement after being knocked off his ladder by the driver of a mobility scooter.
Eye-witnesses said it appeared the scooter knocked into the ladder of window cleaner Sean Leighton while he was working in St Thomas Street.
He was lucky just to escape with a badly bruised leg and arm following his plunge as he was cleaning the exterior of Tanfastique and the In Stitches design and embroidery shops.

The new incident is just the latest case involving mobility scooters crashing into pedestrians. There has been mounting concern about the number of injured people, both locally and nationally.

In December last year a Scarborough pensioner was injured in a "hit and run" accident in Ramshill Road. In the previous month a holidaymaker was taken to hospital after being run down in Northway. Last month a Hunmanby woman claimed a the driver of a mobility scooter caused hundreds of pounds worth of damage when he collided into the side of her car.

A few months ago a woman in East London died after she was knocked down and crushed by a scooter while shopping.

Pat Geraghty, who runs Tanfastique, said: "I heard the clatter of the ladder and he just came flying down. The paramedics put a neck brace on him."

Her husband, Mick, who runs the adjacent shop, said: "The driver of the scooter admitted he must have caught the ladder. He was very upset and did not drive off.

"I saw the ladder come down, then the bucket and then Sean fell right past the window. It brought back memories of when a window cleaner died after falling near the Sun Inn."

Tosh

Re: ladders are dangerous
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 10:04:42 pm »

NWH

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 10:07:07 pm »
I can see some Die Hard trad cleaners coming on here in a minute saying,what`s wrong with that then.LOL ;D ;D ;D ;D

the gedi

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 10:21:19 pm »
how many trad w/c adhere to heath and safety 2005 regarding the use off ladders , still see some cleaning third level off ladders, walking on pitch roofs ,resting ladders on gutters  , if they do not adhere to the directive then ladders are dangerous, risk there life and health for a few pounds, and the homeowners. do not care if they fall thats what one told me. ,

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 10:37:29 pm »
Ladders are dangerous.....No they are not
It an idiot using them that makes the danger or in the case of this storey the idiot on a scooter.....who could just have easily run into someone using wfp which causes the 24 foot pole to crash down onto a third parties head.

tacky

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 10:49:43 pm »
bugger the chistmas .decorations .

Tosh

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 10:51:50 pm »
I've had a ladder slip from under me and have taken a fall, and have had a number of close calls.

I don't think ladders are that safe, and I'm not a total idiot too (a bit of a one maybe; slightly above average on the idiot scale of 1 to 10; 10 being the worst).

Regulations aside, to be honest, I think ladders are dangerous.  When you climb one 50 to 100 times a day, five days per week; month-after-month, you can get a bit 'slack' and over confident; and you know what they say about familiarity breeding contempt.

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 11:35:34 pm »
Regulations aside, to be honest, I think ladders are dangerous.  When you climb one 50 to 100 times a day, five days per week; month-after-month, you can get a bit 'slack' and over confident; and you know what they say about familiarity breeding contempt.

So in other words you've just agreed with what I said ie the person using the ladder is at fault NOT THE LADDER itself. ;)

Adam Boss

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 06:24:38 am »
Tosh,  for the ladder to slip you must have placed it on slippery ground or at an angle where it will slip.
It was your fault and not the fault of the ladder that is dangerous.
Anyone who can't use ladders in a safe manner should go WFP as they are giving pro window cleaners bad press. ::) ::) ;D
EST: 1988

Adam Boss

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2007, 06:28:04 am »
Oh, D.A it seems that you spend time trawling the internet for story's about accidents with ladders and then post them on this forum.
Is this a comfort thing ?  ???
EST: 1988

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2007, 08:59:10 am »
if they do not adhere to the directive then ladders are dangerous, risk there life and health for a few pounds, and the homeowners. do not care if they fall thats what one told me. ,
next time someone says that to you point out that they are liable for the workmen that they employ that will take the smugness off their face.

DASERVICES

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2007, 09:48:56 am »
Oh, D.A it seems that you spend time trawling the internet for story's about accidents with ladders and then post them on this forum.

Nope I read the cleaning sites which pick up these links.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2007, 09:57:13 am »
Ladders aren't dangerous at all, so long as they are:
1. Kept horizontal
2. not a trip hazard,
3. never used for their intended purpose

;) ;D ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

It doesn't matter how careful you are with ladders,.. in my opinion its only a matter of time.
I still use ladders occasionally, but only when there is not other alternative.

the gedi

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2007, 04:17:09 pm »
hi windowwashers it only applys to commercal work that they are liable and not to homeowners maybe h/s sould change it so it includes houses too , w/c who do have a fall and get injuried and cause damage maybe there insurance might not pay up and then what would the homeowner do

Neil271052

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2007, 04:27:23 pm »
Ladders aren't dangerous at all, so long as they are:
1. Kept horizontal
2. not a trip hazard,
3. never used for their intended purpose

;) ;D ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

It doesn't matter how careful you are with ladders,.. in my opinion its only a matter of time.
I still use ladders occasionally, but only when there is not other alternative.

Rubbish!

Why should it just be a matter of time?

I was posting hoardings in the outdoor advertising business for over 25 years.

3 X18 foot sliders put up on your own to post a board.

Never had an accident because I was always careful. Putting up ladders on a normal two storey house is like kiddies play.

Health and safety have clobbered that job as now you have to be strapped on if you are up two rungs which cuts down the money you can earn as the job takes double the time.  >:(

You nancy boys who are afeared of ladders don't know you are born.  ;D
Cheers,
Neil

Majestic

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2007, 04:39:17 pm »
Tosh
There were more pictures that you did not post ,the man lifting the ladder was also put on the shoulders of the man behind  to reach the next floor, and so on until they reached the top floor

poleman

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2007, 04:59:31 pm »

Seems you only jump up when there is post about ladders  ::) is this a comfort thing  :P  ;D

Andy

Feen

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2007, 05:35:33 pm »
Neil271052, You sound like a guy who thinks the invention of the wheel was OK, but we'd've been fine without it ;) Ladders have their place, but wfp HAS been invented and no amount of bullsh*t spouted can convince me that it's not better to clean windows standing on your feet rather than standing on a ladder.
Feen

Tosh

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2007, 07:00:30 pm »

So in other words you've just agreed with what I said ie the person using the ladder is at fault NOT THE LADDER itself. ;)

Isn't that the same argument used for guns?  It's a naff argument though.  Screw drivers aren't dangerous either, but give one to a nutter who wants to stick in your head; and it becomes dangerous.

We're only human at the end of the day, and it's human to make mistakes.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2007, 07:08:11 pm »
Well it's a bit of a strange opinion then.

I used ladders for 9 years with no problems, and so do many others.
Of course it matters how careful you are.
You'd have to be pretty careless to fall off. ::)