colley614

guys with uniforms.
« on: May 08, 2008, 06:18:30 pm »
Do any of you guys with uniforms wear shorts. Just wondering because last summer I wore jeans with my company t-shirt but I don't fancy the same again this year. Any suggestions?

alanwilson

Re: guys with uniforms.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 06:40:34 pm »
no, we wear trousers all year round - you can get some really light, breathable trousers.
I've never been to bed with an ugly bird but I've woken up with loads!

pingu

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 06:42:44 pm »
I wear shorts....and why not...postie's do..I have Navy blue shorts which are like cutdown combat trousers...they look smart...

And when the weather is like this why not...if I were to be cleaning insides of commercial I would then wear trousers but in this weather...why not?

Dave.

George P

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 06:46:49 pm »
if doing domestic then i would say its ok but not on commercial, a few years ago a very good commercial client made a polite remark about wearing shorts, something on the lines of - i understand the need to wear shorts but i have clients coming here and it doesnt look very proffessional, most clients wont tell you, i perssoneely thought we looked allright and if it came from someone else a may not have took too much notice,

colley614

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 06:47:30 pm »
Yeah, shorts cause a foot wear problem for me. A business adviser told me to issue people steal toe capped boots with ankle support for climbing ladders and I can't see how boots and shorts would work.

Trousers are a good suggestion, I'll pop into my local work wear store and see what they sell. Also at the moment I'm wearing black t-shirts. I thought black because you can't see dirt on you stomach as my old firm wore blue and we used to have gray stomachs if we leaned on things. Plus I find lads dry their hands on their stomachs while they are working and they get scrim marks on their shoulders. I might change over to green t-shirts and see how it goes. 

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 06:48:25 pm »
We wear dark shorts just below the knee with loads of pockets in, with company tops.

As said post men use them, as long as the are not bright Pink (dave st.ives wife is allowed as she has matching hat and boots if I remember)
Jokes aside, smart shorts look professional.

Ian

pingu

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 06:52:50 pm »
I wear shorts with my boots....yes you're right they do look a tad odd...I'm only a ;D ;D  shorty anyhow...but hey it's summer and I like to wear shorts...

colley614

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 06:54:24 pm »
What footwear do you guys wear with shorts?

My main problem is that a lot of my work is offices. today I did 4 offices. I've got one tomorrow and I really need an alternative to jeans. Last year I was saving every penny but I don't mind spending a bit more on kit this year.

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 06:57:00 pm »
What footwear do you guys wear with shorts?

My main problem is that a lot of my work is offices. today I did 4 offices. I've got one tomorrow and I really need an alternative to jeans. Last year I was saving every penny but I don't mind spending a bit more on kit this year.
Combat trousers is winter wear, cut off below the knee combat shorts for summer weather (get the right shorts they look smart and professional (any old shorts I agree do not look good)

I have been wearing steel toes caps all day with shorts, I look like a work man in uniform thats all.

Ian

Ian Rochester

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 07:03:20 pm »
Logo on T shirts/Vests/Polo Tops, Craghopper trousers in the winter with walking shoes, Craghopper shorts in the summer with walking shoes.

If we are on a building site or elsewhere similar then it's trousers and safety shoes.

colley614

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 07:04:54 pm »
yeah but I've got knots in cotton so I don't think I will be getting many wolf whistles.  ;D

I'm gonna have a look around and see what other guys in my area are wearing. I'm sure one firm wears combat shorts that look smart. I'll have a look around and see whats in my local work wear store. I'm sure I'll find something to get me away from these horrible jeans.

mr D

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 07:26:22 pm »
shorts are a must!!! must i say must!!!

Spursboy1972

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 07:35:57 pm »
I wear smart cargo shorts. Will always wear them. I wear north face mid trekking trainers in the summer. They are still gortex lined. I agree as the posties are alowed so should we. You can still look professional in shorts if its done right.

However 3qtr lengths are a big no no!!!!
Clear Vision~"The Difference is Clear"

Southampton- Hampshire

Sanity

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 08:02:01 pm »
I need to get some smart shorts.  2 uniforms.  One summer and one winter.  (winter = overalls + bodywarmer with rigger boots)  (Summer = polo shirt, shorts and walking steelies)

colley614

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 08:04:09 pm »
I've just thought. It may be a good idea to ask some of my customers what they would think of our summer uniform being shorts. If I got a lot of negative feedback then I would have to leave it.

NWH

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2008, 08:26:10 pm »
no, we wear trousers all year round - you can get some really light, breathable trousers.
I use craghopper trousers all year round,no the same pair of course lol.You don`t no you`ve got them on there so light,the ones you want are the solar dry ones which are ideal for summer.For the winter they do a fleece lined version.

colley614

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2008, 08:30:34 pm »
I use craghopper trousers all year round,no the same pair of course lol.You don`t no you`ve got them on there so light,the ones you want are the solar dry ones which are ideal for summer.For the winter they do a fleece lined version.

What are craghopper if you don't mind me asking?

Ian W

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2008, 09:36:13 pm »
I wear shorts all the time during the summer, but only do domestic. They are navy blue shorts made by Dickies, so you can even get them at Halfords and Screwfix. They look smart and I have never had any negative comments.
Do all the good you can, and make as little fuss about it as possible.
Charles Dickens

NWH

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2008, 09:42:11 pm »

What are craghopper if you don't mind me asking?
It`s the make,you can get them from millets or blacks.

Sir Squeaky

Re: gays with uniforms.
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2008, 10:07:27 pm »
I've just thought. It may be a good idea to ask some of my customers what they would think of our summer uniform being shorts. If I got a lot of negative feedback then I would have to leave it.
No customer worth having anything to do with is going to give a toss what you're wearing.

They just want a good job doing.