17 (65.4%)
Sack him
30.8%
8 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

nat

Re: What would you of done
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2007, 07:01:49 pm »
money earn't! i could obviously go out and get a load of over priced work but then its always at risk of being undercut, i don't work for peanuts and i'm quite expensive compared to others in the area. the money is always double with 2 people as we get twice as much done.

NWH

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2007, 07:05:32 pm »
Nothing wrong with overpriced work Nat,it`s the underpriced stuff i don`t want.

nat

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2007, 07:06:19 pm »
99 out of 100 couldn`t give a S*** about your name and reputation,the proof was in the pudding and i ate it.

then ask yourself why couldn't they give a s***? are you paying them enough? what icentives did they have to work hard for you?? etc etc...

nat

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2007, 07:09:00 pm »
Nothing wrong with overpriced work Nat,it`s the underpriced stuff i don`t want.

of course you don't, none of us do but you have to be realistic otherwise you leave yourself open to competition!

d s windowcleaning

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2007, 07:10:36 pm »
i get as much done with wfp , as what 2 , 3 ,or 4 people can do . belive me ive had 5 people working for me . i now do the same work on my own . all i did was tell custy i was going once a month rater than every 3 weeks . i still have 3 days spare but i just got some extra work off a old man i helped out . give it a go on your own . look after number 1 .  ;D
where theres muck theres money

NWH

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2007, 07:13:40 pm »
It dosen`t matter what you do,at the moment your obviously going through a purple patch with your workers where all is running smoothly.The garden only says rosey in the summer somone told me. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

nat

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2007, 07:16:46 pm »
its that kind of negative attitude that will always keep you working on your own, find solutions don't be negative  ;) theres always a way you just need to find it! :)

NWH

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2007, 07:22:37 pm »
I`ve had 4 working with me before now at 1 time,i made the decision myself it wasn`t forced upon me.With 4 workers you have to find at least £1500.00 a week at least before you pay the deisel things for the business etc,to make it worth while you need to be taking at least 12-13 grand a month otherwise you might aswell be on your own.

d s windowcleaning

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2007, 07:27:01 pm »
yes better on your own . nat theres no negative attitude just seems that myself &nwh have employed & we now find it better on our own . its fact that we are better off on our own . dont knock it till ya try it  ;D .

nat

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2007, 07:29:56 pm »
I`ve had 4 working with me before now at 1 time,i made the decision myself it wasn`t forced upon me.With 4 workers you have to find at least £1500.00 a week at least before you pay the deisel things for the business etc,to make it worth while you need to be taking at least 12-13 grand a month otherwise you might aswell be on your own.
i thought we were talking about unreliable staff not facts and figures?

the figures you are talking about are your own estimations and i don't find them to be nowhere near mine, I don't think it really relevant to be talking figures just solutions to your problems in regards to staff.

nat

« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2007, 07:31:10 pm »
yes better on your own . nat theres no negative attitude just seems that myself &nwh have employed & we now find it better on our own . its fact that we are better off on our own . dont knock it till ya try it  ;D .

I have tried it, and i find it 10 times better employing.

NWH

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2007, 07:35:19 pm »
Nat the only things i`m worried about mate is putting food on the table and paying the morgage and buying the Mrs what she wants,what i said based on 4 workers on a decent wage is fact you should be taking every month what your paying out otherwise it just looks good on paper,it`s called turnover and that means nothing it`s got to pay it`s way like an employee and if it dosen`t it`s gone.

d s windowcleaning

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2007, 07:36:39 pm »
ok nat youve tryed it on your own . i prefere it & its working for me i used to employ and found it a waste of time . same as ive said i aint lost any work by going it alone .

Ian Rochester

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2007, 07:49:21 pm »
I now employ 12 staff, regardless of what anybody else says there is no way I could be earning what I do now if I still worked on my own, there are just not enough hours in the day.  If you want to be able to retire and still have an income coming in then you need to grow your business and get others to work for you, to your standards and expectations, you also need to pay accordingly.

You need to operate as a business, in my former life I was a factory manager with 250 staff working under me, the same principles apply if you are employing just one person.  Make sure both you and they understand what is expected, if they fail in any area, be it performance, attendance, discipline or whatever, then it has to be dealt with professionally and documented accordingly.

All my guys and girls know what the standards are, they have a copy of what I expect, they know what their Terms of employment are, what their sick pay and holiday pay is, basically it's all in black and white with signed copies of everything, if they fail or underperform then I will deal with it and document it for our records.

I sacked a lad earlier on in the year for poor performance, gave him one weeks pay in lieu of notice and got rid of him on the same day.

If this person has worked for you for less than a year then you can get rid of them quite easily, they have very few legal rights.  But in future get a signed contract from them as early as possible.

John, I will send you a copy of our Contracts tonight.

nat

« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2007, 07:55:02 pm »
couldn't of put it nowhere near as good as that, well done lionheart, and well said!

the biggest jump i found was being a successful sole window cleaner, to being a successful window cleaning company, delegate and have systems in place and you will not fall short

NWH

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2007, 07:59:35 pm »
Lionheart how many WINDOW CLEANERS do you employ.

NWH

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2007, 08:03:08 pm »
It was starting to look like Nat was going to need somebody to come along and rescue him. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

nat

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2007, 08:04:33 pm »
sorry son but it was you two that bailed ;)

NWH

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2007, 08:05:50 pm »
I am allowed to eat my tea arn`t i. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

matt

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2007, 08:44:08 pm »
back on track

sack him

he has done it once, its only going to go 1 way now, and thats him taking the pee