This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Poll

I had a text at 5am this morning

Nothing
3.8%
1 (3.8%)
Phone him back and give him a telling off
65.4%
17 (65.4%)
Sack him
30.8%
8 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Ian Rochester

Re: What would you of done
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2007, 08:54:53 pm »
NWH,

We now have 5 full time window cleaners, others on Carpet Cleaning and Office & Domestic Cleaning, also do a bit of pressure washing and hard floor cleaning

ronnie paton

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2007, 09:25:19 pm »
i may be wrong but if he is full time on the books you cant just sack him!

He has employees rights, i understand its a pain when some one lets you do but twice in 10 months is not a lot and these things happen.

I would put an attandance bonus in is wage has an incentive!

NWH

« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2007, 09:31:37 pm »
I thought as much,i am talking completly window cleaning and nothing else.The exchanges we had on this thread were all window cleaning issues and not the running of an allround cleaning business which i have also run myself over the years,you will probobly say that the day to day running of the businesses are the same where`s we both know that as far as money coming in there worlds apart.As you will know keeping wcs working week in week out and month in month out is a different ball game and can be more stressfull where moneys concerned,with carpet cleaning hardfloor cleaning etc your not talking the same talk.As far as money is concerned and wc if you employ staff you have to turnover a hell of a lot more money than you think,Nat was saying that he is far better off employing staff and in my reply to that i said it might make life a little easier sometimes but as far as money is concerned i bet he`s not better off than he would be working on his own, to which he replied with 0.

Ian Rochester

« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2007, 10:22:24 pm »
NWH - There is no difference with what business you run the rules of employment are exactly the same.  There is no stress either way, providing you set up your Terms of employment properly, my window cleaners and carpet cleaners get paid a percentage of  the work they do, my office cleaners get paid on an hourly basis.  Simple.

Ronnie - If he has been with the business for less than 12 months, then yes, you can just sack him, providing you give him statutory notice

nat

« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2007, 11:00:33 pm »
i bet he`s not better off than he would be working on his own, to which he replied with 0.

didn't i reply that 2 people earn twice as much much as one person? i can't remember now! ;)

I'm by far better off than i was or could be on my own, and as business grows so does the profit, so in answering your question i'm sorry but its a big fat YES!

Ian Rochester

« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2007, 05:27:50 pm »
So John, what have you done?

ronnie paton

« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2007, 05:34:40 pm »
Lionheart are you sure ??
 I was sure that has all changed now unless in a probation period??

Majestic

« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2007, 06:02:01 pm »
I sacked him the same day, it was not about him not comming to work . It was about him sending me a text on the day and not phoning me the night before . He said he had been ill all wekend . The best was he said he  did not have my phone number, ;D its on the back of all his t shrts / sweat shirts

Ian Rochester

« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2007, 07:13:25 pm »
Ronnie,

Exctract from Business Link Website:

Employees can usually claim unfair dismissal only if they have worked for you for at least one year. Until October 2006 they usually also had to be below your normal retirement age (NRA), or 65 if you don't have an NRA. However, since that date there had been no age limit on claims for unfair dismissal.
The right to complain to a tribunal about unfair dismissal is unavailable to:
•   self-employed people
•   independent contractors
•   other special groups, generally the police
Wrongful dismissal has no qualifying period or age limit.

I'm not aware of any changes in the legislation, we retain the services of an HR/H&S consultant to keep us up to date with any new legislation.

Jason Atwell

« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2007, 09:47:14 pm »
HI john, sorry to hear about this problem, you know where i am if you need a hand with anything.

jason
Fleetwood Window Cleaning Services

ronnie paton

« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2007, 10:00:28 pm »
Your proberly right then braveheart i was just under the impression that there was  a route an emplyer had to take b4 dismissing someone no matter wot the amount of time he has been employed.