john green

car washing with pure water
« on: July 30, 2006, 10:07:00 pm »
 Among WFPer's there appears to be mixed veiws on the pro's and con's of washing vehicles with purified water some say its brilliant ,even if done weekly,others will not even consider it as they fear it will harm the paintwork,any veiws ???   

paul mather

Re: car washing with pure water
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 10:10:38 pm »
I am glad you raised this question John. I have just started down WFP route & washed my Espace with it this weekend. As it is a fairly big car can normally take 35 - 40 mins. Less than 10 with WFP. The result, a gleaming car.

Can't see how it could damage paintwork it's only water & my brush is pretty soft. I stand  to be corrected though.
Use the wand of power !!

Warrington, Cheshire

john green

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 10:37:23 pm »
same with me I tried a few times ,great results,but would prolonged use of pure water harm paintwork or create rusting on exposed metal caused  through stone chips etc ????

paul mather

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 10:45:03 pm »
I can't see why, it (purified water )has less or virtually no impurities in it to react with anything. Only thing I would be concerned about is scratching the paint if I held the gooseneck at the wrong angle.
Use the wand of power !!

Warrington, Cheshire

john green

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 10:50:01 pm »
so why do so many seal the base/floor of their vans with a  glassfibre based sealant  :-\

paul mather

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 11:06:21 pm »
I suspect they do that because they feel water will no doubt slosh around in their van on a regular basis. I think many would do that if they were using normal tapwater. There is a big difference with giving your car a quick clean once a week & regularly having water dribble out of connectors & sitton the floorpan of your van.

As I said before I have no evidence to back my views up & no doubt someone will come along & prove me wrong. But I can not see the difference between washing a car with pure & regular tap water.
Use the wand of power !!

Warrington, Cheshire

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 12:06:56 am »
Rubbish idea.

It takes the polish off and loses it's shine.
Just like windows done with wfp, they're flat not shiny.

And yes I do know what I'm talking about.
I'm a fully qualified Autoglym Motor show valeter. :P

paul mather

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 12:20:50 am »
Ya  know what squeaky I don't think you could get a more apt picture if you tried.

I actually think you could out Victor, Victor Meldrew.
Use the wand of power !!

Warrington, Cheshire

paul mather

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 12:24:46 am »
John if you do a search for washing cars you will find this subject has been discussed before as have  most subjects I suppose.

I would put a link on here for you but I haven't got a clue how you do it.
Use the wand of power !!

Warrington, Cheshire

jeff1

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 08:29:40 am »
Just out of interest, why do many car-wash's use pure water as do car valeter's,  you never see a car come out of a car wash drying with white spots.

a couple of guy's on here wash cars with pure water as a side line.

Clear Vision

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2006, 08:35:16 am »

Well squeaky you should see my windows. What a shine!! All done with wfp. I must admit though, they were shiny before but there's even more of a shine now!

jeff1

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2006, 08:39:11 am »
squeaky remember one of my threads, (Lost my first one to a wfp), you know I'm still traditional, but those windows were very shiny.

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2006, 08:40:05 am »
http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=10867.0

Heres the last thread it was discussed on.  More of a detailed explanation in there as to what Squeaks is saying.
Sarah

Morph

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2006, 09:56:31 am »

There is an automated car wash round here that says it gives a final rinse with purified water.  The BMW local dealer washes their cars through a purified water sprinkler system.
Washing with purified water cannot harm the car anymore than letting the rain fall on it.  Of course it will reduce the wax finish on your vehicle, as soon as you finish waxing your vehicle the elements start to break it down!
If you love your heap of metal on wheels so much, you can wash it then wax it.  The only difference using purified water, is that you can walk away, let it dry, wax it.  Using tap water, you'll wash, rinse, dry it yourself, then wax.  End result = Same.
If like me your van is just a work horse, then you just wash it down with wfp, 10 mins. walk away!  Send it to the garage for regular service, thats it.
In short: Purified water does not speed up the rusting process, nor does it slow it down, it just saves time on the need to dry.

Oh and by the way, unless you give the windows you clean a wax finish, neither wfp or trad will make the glass shinier than clean glass can be.  I still use both methods, in fact I use a third method too; ie. wet microfibre wash + dry buff microfibre.  Glass looks exactly the same when done properly, however it's done. 

DASERVICES

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2006, 10:09:54 am »

One word of caution, don't try it with an Ionics brush you will end up scratching
  the car.

Doug

ronaldo

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2006, 11:19:54 am »
Rubbish idea.

If i was you then squeak i would stick to valeting, youve got less chance of breaking your neck doing that.
A bad days fishing is better than a good days work !

Morph

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2006, 11:34:49 am »

One word of caution, don't try it with an Ionics brush you will end up scratching
  the car.

Doug

Hasn't scratched my car or van in 10 months.

"A bad workman..............."

DASERVICES

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2006, 12:16:54 pm »

Hasn't scratched my car or van in 10 months.

"A bad workman..............."

Nope came direct from Ionics at the BWCA course that their brushes would scratch
a car, you would see faint lines not talking about major scratches. On a white van
you would hardly see it, but on a darker colour car you can see it.

Used to valet car's before w/c and the only brush I would use is hoggs hair brushes,
soft as a babys bum. Nylon brushes tend to leave faint scratches.

Doug

Morph

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2006, 12:35:01 pm »
I can't argue with Ionics then!

Interesting point though:  Vikan sell hundreds/thousands of nylon brushes.  On the box they are called car wash brushes.

Mind you I would hardly call any automated car wash brushes soft :o

john green

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2006, 07:50:30 pm »
thanks to one and all,I think I've got the point,I will continue doing the Lambo with P/ water,, ;)

macc

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2006, 08:09:39 pm »
Rubbish idea.

Obviously not qualified in the wfp department.  ;)

D.Salkeld_Ltd

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2006, 11:21:33 pm »

There goe Sqeeky again..............................
another one in the bag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Squeeks you even got me going too?!?!

I wash my car Pure Water lovely job
And the windows SHINE

So Squeeky.........YOU ARE TALKING   B*******

There you DID wind me up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David
Not Perfect - But Honest

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2006, 11:42:57 pm »
Funny thing is though David it wasn't a wind up!

I know my car care, and pure water removes polish.
It may look shiny, but not like a polished car washed with wash and wax.

It's impossible to lean against my car, you just slide off.
There's about a millimetre of polymer on it. ;)

If you keep washing a base colour car with pure water it will fade really quickly.
Want a pink car? Just keep doing that to your red one.

I can't believe people are still disagreeing with someone who knows....
It does make me laugh sometimes this forum. ;D

macc

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2006, 11:54:12 pm »
I cant believe im about to say this but Squeaky is right for ONCE,  :'(,  it does remove all polish & wax leaving no protection on the paint. Also any stone chips will rust quicker cause of the pure water.

I never use pure water to clean my van & cars.

Macc

macc

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2006, 11:57:40 pm »

I can't believe people are still disagreeing with someone who knows....
It does make me laugh sometimes this forum. ;D

Am i reading right  ???

Macc

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2006, 11:58:31 pm »
 ???

macc

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2006, 12:05:42 am »
???

Us wfpers know what we are talking about but you disagree,  :o

Morph

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2006, 08:24:51 am »
I worked with valetters for 7 years, every red car went pink over time, no matter what was done to it!

ValueValeting

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2006, 08:40:46 am »
I worked with valetters for 7 years, every red car went pink over time, no matter what was done to it!

That only happens if its one stage paint - There are two types of paintwork :

Single stage which is generally just the colour and no clearcoat (which is why they are more likely to fade), most older non metallic cars have this i.e red vauxhalls etc

2 stage paint has a thin base colour layer (normally metallic) with a thicker layer of laquer or clear(coat) paint on the top.

D.Salkeld_Ltd

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2006, 06:29:53 pm »
OK Squeeks I see your point now.

With cars you are right...........................
But windows????
You still like to wind us up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

David

Not Perfect - But Honest

paul mather

« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2006, 07:00:36 pm »
Surely if you polish your car regularly as you are supposed to then a clean once a week with pure water will not hurt. If it is such a bad idea how come some valetting companies use.

Yet again Squeaky you can't stand to admit that other people may do things in a way that is quicker  and easier than the old trad methods.

You're right David he's just got me going as well
Use the wand of power !!

Warrington, Cheshire

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2006, 07:12:52 pm »
Yet again Squeaky you can't stand to admit that other people may do things in a way that is quicker  and easier than the old trad methods.
How's it quicker with pure water than normal water? ;D

It'll slow you up, because you'll have to re-apply polish from scratch, instead of the quick whip-over wash and wax would leave you.

In fact if it's only been polished a day or so before, then wash and wax will return it to it's previous polished state, so it won't really want doing at all.

My car hardly ever gets washed, apart from now and again under the arches to remove muck build up.

It's polished before it gets dirty.
So no, I'm much quicker. ;)

Why don't you drop this now, as I've proved you wrong a hundred times over. ::)

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2006, 07:22:37 pm »
Rubbish idea.

Squeaks, isn't usually right, but he's wrong again.

Remember pure water is like rain water; it's just soft water; not a bleaching agent or a detergent.

Pure-water-cleaning began in the USA, aparantly, and was originally used to rinse cars.  It's best used to rinse a car after using a liquid shampoo/polish.  Rinse your car with pure water and it dries as if you've dried it with a shammy leather.

I've tried rinsing my car with my WFP, but found that using jug fulls of the stuff does a better job.  Your car dries all lovely and shiny with no 'tap water blemishes'.

You can also purchase (Wilkinsons sell them) an aparatus which uses De-ionised water to rinse your car. 

So, to conclude, pure water is like rain water; just water with no impurities; it's not a bleach or a detergent and Squeaks is wrong; again.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2006, 07:40:35 pm »
Ok fair enough I won't say any more on the subject, as you're all determined to argue with one of the country's most knowledgeable valeters. ::)

Purely because it's me...
If it was any other valeter you'd say "Oh yeah? Cheers mate, didn't realise"

You just think your bloody pole is the answer to everything.
It's not for shining cars.

If it can't even take polish off a smooth car, then how can it remove stubborn grease off a window? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
LOL!!!!  1-0 ;)

Absolutely full of it the lot of you......

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2006, 07:55:28 pm »

If it can't even take polish off a smooth car, then how can it remove stubborn grease off a window? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
LOL!!!!  1-0 ;)

Absolutely full of it the lot of you......

Pure water cleaning has its limitations; it can't remove bar-b-cue grease off patio windows for example, or paint, or putty either.  It also can't cure cancer, piles or genital warts.

As many have said here, it's not a magic wand.

But it is excellent for washing windows; and rinsing a car after you've used a shampoo with a liquid wax.

Roger,

You're quite welcome to some pure-water of mine, to try out on your own car.

You'll be impressed with the results.  Honest.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2006, 07:58:25 pm »
But it is excellent for washing windows; and rinsing a car after you've used a shampoo with a liquid wax.
If you're still using wash and wax, then it doesn't matter what it's rinsed with. ???

ValueValeting

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2006, 08:18:48 pm »
We don't use pure water to clean cars due to space (+ cash ;D) constraints, but I know of no reason why pure water cannot be used to rinse a car down. In fact I am of the understanding that the "flash car wash" kit includes a di module in it to name but 1 mass produced version.
I can also dig out (seen on web - would have to find the url..) many industial size units designed specifically for the automotive market.

However

You should never, ever, ever use a brush to wash a paying cutomers car with as it will scratch the paintwork causing the swirl marks seen on so many cars ** these scratches build up over time - so the window cleaner(s) who says I did mine once with it and there was no scratches is misleading himself and the customer if he ever states that it would cause no damage to the paintwork.

** Carry on doing it though, coz capable & knowledgeable valeters can charge a mint sorting out those sorts of problems in paintwork ;D