Jeff Brimble

Re: Change is on the way
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2006, 06:51:24 am »
There is another "army" of workers yet to emerge  and work to their full potential they are  waiting in the wings. They are generally underpaid and undervalued but their day will come and will rival the immigrant workforce.

The LADIES are comming, Many of you have wifes and daughters who would love to get involved. But the wfp market place has been a heavy manual affair but with the acceptance of the new lightweight poles and the yet to be developed powered trolleys, I believe that the LADIES  will soon become more prevalent in this male dominated market. They work just as hard and may do a better job than many of us.

2 million in 2 years, good luck to the guy, hes prob to busy to be coming onto this community.

steve m

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2006, 08:05:52 am »
you dont believe about asylumseekers?????. LikeI said I used to kleen 44 three story houses on a brand new estate just outside london, charging £20.00 a house with wfp. After doing them twice nearly all said they wanted to cancel, when asked why the answer was " the bosnians are doing it for a tenner". How would YOU answer that

Trevor Knight

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2006, 08:37:58 am »
Hi Extreme,

Thanks for your posting regarding your colleague and his business.

I have to say, I run a large operation myself, I have 3 vans on the road and look after just over 2000 customers a month. The time it takes me to administer all the paperwork, round maintainance (computerised), dealt with Tax, VAT returns and accountans etc.... as well as actively promoting and looking out for new business I have to take my hat off to your colleague.

In a good month I will bring to the business in the region of 30 - 40 customers and will probably lose about 3-5 customers due to circumstances beyond my control. To have to input 200 new customers a week, employ operatives, train and teach the round along with providing a vehicle and equipment I personally this is unrealistic if not impossible.

I don't wish to knock a fellow window cleaner but have to say I bust my arse building my business and cannot see how I could possibly control this amount of new business.

Best wishes,
Trev
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

squeaky-clean 1

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2006, 09:52:46 am »
i agree with jeff

take a look over your shoulder the LADIES are coming.

;D ;D ;D ::) ::) ::)
 with pink fluffy dice too ;D

Belinda
Belinda
the real boss.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2006, 01:04:15 pm »
you dont believe about asylumseekers?????. LikeI said I used to kleen 44 three story houses on a brand new estate just outside london, charging £20.00 a house with wfp. After doing them twice nearly all said they wanted to cancel, when asked why the answer was " the bosnians are doing it for a tenner". How would YOU answer that

Well maybe we need to clarify something here.  Let's not confuse "asylum seeker" with "immigrants".  While someone is awaiting a hearing to decide if asylum will be granted, they are not allowed to work anyway.  I suppose that some may do so illegally.  Bosnia is not currently part of the EU as far as I'm aware so a Bosnian would need a work permit.  If a Bosnian sought asylum, they would not be able to work legally until it was granted.  Maybe your Bosnians all have work permits, maybe not.  Perhaps we should all expand our businesses and start employing them.

JohnL

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2006, 01:07:07 pm »
with pink fluffy dice too,

I for one look forward to that !!   ;D     ;D     ;D     ;D

JohnL
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

Morph

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2006, 04:29:46 pm »
All this high flying talk no doubt will have some truth to it, but at the sales end of any product or service, the client's decision is very much influenced by the personality selling.
How many times have you said, "I didn't buy because I just didn't like the guy". 
A couple of years ago I was pricing a job up against a much bigger competitor than me.  Their quote for the monthly clean was a third cheaper than mine!  You can think what you like, the client chose me, because they didn't like the look or attitude of the "big boys".
There are huge companies selling and fitting kitchens, double glazing, bathrooms, bedrooms etc.  But many many people search for the skilled man on his own, and always will.
Go, take over the world if you want to.  You can only eat and drink so much, you can only wear one pair of shoes, you can only sleep in one bed and it could be the most luxurious bed in the world, but if you got to it by carving up business from the little men and by being greedy, your night's sleep won't be much more comfortable than someone who sleeps in the gutter

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2006, 05:02:39 pm »
....but if you got to it by carving up business from the little men and by being greedy, your night's sleep won't be much more comfortable than someone who sleeps in the gutter

How sure are you? ;D

Morph

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2006, 05:06:51 pm »

How sure are you? ;D

I've tried both! 8)

Trevor Knight

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2006, 05:19:31 pm »
PJ,

I understand your morals, however, I have to differ on this one.

There is nothing wrong in having goals, setting yourself a target and working towards that. If along the way you stumble over a few people well as long as you don't deliberately hurt them then I see no harm. Business is business after all.

Question for you. How many old age pensioners that queue up every week outside the post office for their pittance of a pension do you think would have changed the way their life has panned out. If given a choice how many would have preferred to retire without worrying about the measley state hand outs?

The difference with our industry is the we are in control of our future, we can make the difference today that will benefit us later on in life.

I for one, will not be stood in that queue. However, I will give those of you that are a polite wave as I drive by.

I am not meaning to sound smug or cocky, I just don't see the problem in being motivated and taking the opportunities that are out there for us to all grab!

Although I have to say 200 new customers a week, well I would like to see that in action, hmmm, what was that that just flew over my head???

Best wishes,

Trev

Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2006, 05:24:05 pm »
I've slept rough, and it's a lot worse than feeling a bit of guilt, especially when you find you've stepped in dog poo and then managed to get it inside your sleeping bag.

Give me guilt anyday.

-------------------------------

But back on-topic, I really don't have any opinions on the subject of this thread, apart from the original post is a bit difficult to believe.

I'd say it would have to be a darn good salesman to wrest enough of my customers away from me, to make me feel the pinch.

I honestly don't think I've anything to worry about.

One thing we've got in our 'favour' is that unlike utility companies, a lot of TRUST is placed on a window cleaner's shoulders.

We have the capability of 'breaking and entering' quite easily, and there's enough old wives tales of window cleaners doing just this.

I think once a customer finds a window cleaner they can trust and does even just a half-decent job; they'll generally stick with that window cleaner; even if they might be more expensive than others in the local area.

The Devil the customers know, is better than the Devil they don't.

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2006, 06:14:44 pm »
Well there has got to be some supermen on here.  2000 customers a month are they all in the same street because there is no way on this earth those figures can be acheived.

Winter start at 8am finish at 4pm latest thats 3 vans between 2000 customers is 33 units a day 5 days a week non stop per month over 4 units per hour how can this be done without a day off and without breaks,lunches.

I cannot see how these targets or figures can be met.Even with wfp to do a good job stop and collect payment thats about 20 minutes so that makes 3 units per hour.What about travelling or do you have 2000 units right next to each other.,

Its great to see all these figures and sums etc but realistically theya cant be reached unless a bad job is being done,under the minimum wage is being paid.

beats me???????

Morph

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2006, 06:44:03 pm »
PJ,

I understand your morals, however, I have to differ on this one.

Best wishes,

Trev

I wasn't really on a moral crusade there, Trev.  Just my take on the wild statements made on this topic.  I agree, good to have a plan, but make it a realistic one, not science fiction.

As for trying to beat the system so that you don't end up in the queue at the post office.....well, like many, I clean windows for a residential home, in one room theres an 75 year old who amounted to nothing all his life, next door is a 75 year old man who ran a successful business, owned a nice house etc...You know the rest, they both get the same treatment, one pays the other doesn't. ;)

Sorry folks, bit off topic there, I blame the mods ;D

JohnL

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2006, 06:56:42 pm »
The man who is the subject of this thread may be a very good businessman, may have lots of marketing skills etc but I just do not believe his figures.

Targets maybe, reality - no way

JohnL
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2006, 07:04:48 pm »
I was a lot happier when i was poorer,

I clean for a lot of pensioners and general the poorer ones are as happy as the richer ones, in fact i have got some right misreable ones in million pound houses.

Life is not all about money,

Its about how happy you are.

Clear Vision

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2006, 07:10:26 pm »
I notice that the poor ones are in general a lot happier than the rich ones.

At christmas It's the poor ones that allway's give me a tip apart from the odd big shot.

Once a old lady gave me £20 as a tip and she only just scrapes together £3.50 a month for her oap's bungalows windows to be cleaned.

Give the guy a break who started this topic!

I get 400 customers a week and do them all on my own ;D ;D

Matthew
Clear Vision

Morph

« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2006, 07:16:30 pm »
Yep and I was born on the 30th of February!

Clear Vision

« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2006, 07:19:46 pm »
Same day as me pj!  ;D

scrimit2

« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2006, 07:38:38 pm »
i got to say what a strange topic, and without being unkind to the guy who started it, it reminded me of some sales pitch, I say good luck to the guy earning £2 million a year, if he isnt cleaning any of the windows his self, I wonder just how much of it would be profit, if he is providing wfp systems, vans paying wages for the cleaners and surely wages of full time canvassers, admin staff, insurance cover etc,

It is good to have goals in your working life, and building a round and earning lots of money is one of them, but also building a round to create yourself a great lifestyle is also a great goal. I have learned that the amount of work you have isnt everything, and to wake up in the morning without huge pressures and overheads that some self employed have suits me fine.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2006, 08:05:01 pm »
Good balanced reply, saw this somewhere.

"There is only one success- to be able to spend your life in your own way." - Christopher Morely