Our latest design. Pics and details
« on: July 21, 2006, 08:09:37 pm »
A couple of weeks ago I said that we were field testing our latest design for the Freedom trolley and that I would post details ASAP.  Well.. here it is. I am extremely proud of it. We field tested 4 for 4 weeks. 2 of my guys and 2 other local window cleaners used it and they absolutely love it.

Its lighter... more compact and with as low a centre of gravity as possible it is very stable and perfectly balanced for easy moving around when loaded with a container full of water. We now include an intelligent charger which you just plug in and forget at the end of the day.

Here's a view ready to work with container loaded.

Now one with the handle folded down showing the charger box and a container so you can see how little room it takes up in a vehicle. Folding the handle down takes only seconds and lifting is very easy indeed.

We still fit the Varistream Mk2... Shurflo 100 PSI pump and you will still easilly get 2 days work from 1 battery charge but it is far better for your battery if you top it up daily as this considerably increases the life of the battery. This applies to all deep cycle batteries by the way.

Anyway folks there it is. I think it's the dogs!!!

I cant wait to post a pic of one that was ordered today. The customer wants it in bright yellow!!!  :)

Cheers

Andrew

pylofm

Re: Our latest design. Pics and details
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 08:40:02 pm »
Hi just a silly question...how is the tank kept on?, or is it just a question of using straps?

Cheers
Dave

matt

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 08:44:52 pm »
Hi just a silly question...how is the tank kept on?, or is it just a question of using straps?

Cheers
Dave

i was thinking the same, the barrel would fall off if you went up steps etc

but it looks very nice all the same

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 08:47:51 pm »
Hi Dave

Not a silly question at all.

OK..  you cant really see this well in the pic but there is a diagonal bar on both sides and the handle on the front. The weight of the water also helps. Even when you are emptying it the water is always towarsd the bottom if you know what I mean. Having said that even when completely empty the container is very secure.

Matt... We have had it up and down steps/over rough ground etc and have had no problems at all.

Hope this helps

Andrew

pylofm

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 08:49:51 pm »
Looks...very nice....looking forward to mine arriving ;)

Cheers
Dave.

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 09:08:00 pm »
Hi Andrew,

That looks smart, mate.

What's the weight of it 'dry'?  It looks heavy to me.

Do users still get regular punctures in those tyres?

Will it suit car users who still want to carry ladders?  Or will they find they can't get it out of the boot without a fight because it's too hefty?

Is there an attachment for it to carry 50 litres; comfortably; Peter Fogwill's set up does, you can attach a 30 meter (maybye longer) reel and hose to it too which is a major asset.

Or is it the same old, 'smart looking, but loads of weight and just a bit more water as a backpack scenario'; twice the cost too?

I'm sorry if I sound negative about your product Andrew; I have tried your Mark 1 system, and to be honest didn't find it much cop.  Given the hefty weight of it, combined with the lack of ability to a place to put a hose on it, with it's small water carrying capacity; I thought it was 'below standard' to put it politely.

I understand there are a few fans of yours out there using the Freedom, but they seem to be lads with VANS, who use it mainly as a van mounted system; yet it has the capabilty to be used as a trolley system.

Recently a user of your system posted a picture which looked like he'd used rubber bungees to attach a hose reel to your system; and it looked really bulky to transport about.

I feel drawn (probably as a result of too much sun and red wine) between just ignoring this post, or helping (PREVENTING) fellow window cleaners from purchasing a 'mistake', and I'm drawn towards helping the window cleaners.

Sorry, Andrew.

Tosh.

PS.  I remember a similar post giving Peter Fogwill a 'dig' about his Salmon Brush and he fought his corner admirably; citing point by point; why his brush is quality.  I bet he flogged a few more of them after that post.

So show me I'm wrong!

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 09:44:08 pm »
Andrew,

Out of interest did you have any female w/c test this new model? 

I am really struggling to find one that can be used for prolonged periods.  Tried a DIY which looked so unprofessional we now use it for spare parts.  ::)

There are now more Female w/c trading now than ever so someone could tap into the market  ;)

Sarah

Sarah

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 09:52:00 pm »
Andrew,

Out of interest did you have any female w/c test this new model? 

I am really struggling to find one that can be used for prolonged periods.  Tried a DIY which looked so unprofessional we now use it for spare parts.  ::)

There are now more Female w/c trading now than ever so someone could tap into the market  ;)

Sarah

Sarah, water by itself is heavy.

If you're after a 'trolley system', you can't/wont get lighter than a backpack on a sack truck.

You wont get lighter; honest; you'll see what I mean when you use one.  It consists of a small battery and water container with a pump inside.

I've a spare backpack if you want to trial it.

E-mail me if you want to borrow it.

I don't ask Wor Lass to use it because I think it's too heavy for her.  She weighs in at about 8 Stone and I don't think she's capable of using a pole or lugging the backpack about; all day anyway.

She's great with a seven foot set of A-Frames and a bucket mind.

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 09:56:20 pm »
Pylo,  Hi Dave,is it you who has a pulex/unger modular pole system ?

Sarah, go out of your way to try one of the very extremely light fishing poles. Although nobody makes one yet you need a powered trolley. Combine the two and you have absolute perfection.
I have never had so much fun and enjoyment in my life. Well apart from s-x 8)

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2006, 09:58:20 pm »
Tosh, one day someone (hopefully)will make a window cleaning b.pac with all the numptys on.

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2006, 10:01:41 pm »
Thanks Tosh - your a gent.

I did try one last summer and got really sick of the re-filling.  We use about 450 ltrs per day as we do tops and bottoms.

The 50ltr Omnitrolley only last about 4 houses and the backpack less.

We have a 1000ltr tank on board the van so filling a trolley is the quickest option.

I recall you once sugesting filling butts in advance and placing them when we think re-filling will be needed but Hubby had to lift them to fiill and we gained nothing.  I can easily put a hose in a trolley and turn on the pump thus avoiding Hubby work being interupted - HE He.

Sarah, go out of your way to try one of the very extremely light fishing poles. Although nobody makes one yet you need a powered trolley. Combine the two and you have absolute perfection.
I have never had so much fun and enjoyment in my life. Well apart from s-x 8)

Jeff I saw your picks elsewhere - looks promising.  Dont have any real issues with the poles in relation to weight as I tend to do downstairs only (when I work !!!) .

Am still waiting for the nod on that big job and will contact you when (or if) its comes off.

Regards,

Sarah

Sarah

gaza

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2006, 10:03:19 pm »
SAHARA: MAYBE Andrew will do one in BARBIE PINK FOR LADIES ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) :-X

GAZA ;D
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2006, 10:05:04 pm »
Ok Tosh lets take this one point at a time.

Punctures.. yes of course they can happen but I personally only know of 2 that have happened. The benefits of a pneumatic tyre far outweigh the remote possibility of a puncture. I have run 3 of the systems for over a year and have not had any punctures at all so far. We have tried non pneumatic wheels and found them to be very inferior. No cushioning effect when going up/down steps..  far less comfortable to use all day due to bumping up and down and ruts left in soft ground etc.

Weight: 19 Kilos dry. ( Within ROSPA guidelines for one man lift from below knee height)  Now.. it isnt just about the dead weight but a major factor is geing able to lift it SAFELY..  the design allows this to be done very easilly. The compactness is a major factor here.. EG.. try lifting a bulky 10 kilo item not well designed for lifting.. its FAR harder than 20 kilos CORRECTLY designed for lifting.

We dont advise users of cars with only a boot to use it. Hatchbacks are no problem at all. I have for a considerable time specifically asked what vehicle a prospective customer uses. If it it only a boot I tell them its not ideal.

We are no longer doing an attachment to carry an extra container. It cuts down manoueverability far too much and adds another 25 kilos to move around houses. Rather like the backpack.. which has to be refilled from containers and holds less water this is all about manouveralability. You get around very easilly indeed. Also you do have a much larger capacity battery so you dont have to worry about running out of charge or as a lot do.. carry another battery to get through the day. On some work like yours where there is very bad access/fences to cross all the time a backpack probably is the tool for the job but really only in those circumstances. In our and others experience manouveralibility = PRODUCTIVITY which of course = increased earning potential.

Regarding the MK1. We have moved on considerably since then. Yes it was heavy but still in most cases excellent for the job. In fact we still use it very effectively and have done now for over a year.. We just cant get our hands on one of the new ones because of demand  :(

Of course you can use a hosereel with it. In fact because we use the 100PSI pump you can use 100 metres of any hose with any length of pole available. Why attach it and carry it around though? You would only want to use a long length of hose in the unlikely event that you cant get near enough to the windows you want to clean. All we do is carry a hosereel around with us and pop it into the trolley outlet as and when required.

It is an advantage as well to be able to just leave it folded down and run out long lengths of hose where access is good and there are not many obstacles. If you do want to add a tank say for commercial work gained because you now use WFP all you need is the tank!!!  

I know you are a big fan of the backpack Tosh and rightly so given your circumstances. However for the vast majority of window cleaners our system has many advantages hopefully which I have explained above.

At the end of the day its all about horses for courses. Thats why we now do van mount systems. Many of our customers do mainly commercial work where in most cases a van mount is better than a trolley. Having said that we have sold a great number of trollies to van mount users with access problems on some of their work and where they need to use say a 60 ft pole. Again because of the power of our trolley this is no problem at all.. unlike many others who use very small puimps and weak batteries/powerpacks.

We can never be all things to all men but we are constantly looking for ways to improve our products so that the customer benefits.

It's now a fact that over 80% of our orders come from recommendations from happy customers. I come from a commercial background and can tell you that this would be the envy of even the largest blue-chip company.

Andrew

pylofm

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2006, 10:06:32 pm »
Jeff....Sorry mate...I am a complete newbie at present and am awaiting for all my new toys to arrive.....So in answer to your question...sorry no mate.

Cheers
Dave ;)

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2006, 10:10:06 pm »
SAHARA: MAYBE Andrew will do one in BARBIE PINK FOR LADIES ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) :-X

GAZA ;D

Put me down for one but not sure if its Hubbys colour if he needs to use it in an emergency - LOL

Sarah
Sarah

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2006, 10:13:13 pm »
Bloody hell a pink one!!!!   ;D

Sorry but it took me ages to type the last post  :(

Sarah.  Let me put it this way.. if.. and only if.. you can lift a 25ltr container then this will be no problem at all to you.

I cant say too much but I was arrangeing for a couple of lady window cleaners to trial the trolley but I got so busy it got put back. Having said that I honestly think that once the container is on the trolley all but the slightest build ladies would have no problems.

I would love to arrange for you to get your hands on one of the trollies to give an honest opinion.. so.. maybe we can arrange something???  

My office number is on the website..  give me a call if you are interested.. :)

Andrew

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2006, 10:27:47 pm »
Andrew,

If you need its tested by a female w/c then I am happy to trial it for you.

I dont intend doing much during the summer hols but will test it at home and on the neighbours (for free obviously !!!!  ;))

Will contact you during the week.

Sarah

Sarah

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2006, 10:31:51 pm »
Okie dokie Sarah  :)

We will see what can be done  BUT... ur NOT havin a PINK ONE to trial!!!   :P

PS Might be a good idea to try it on ur neighbours WINDOWS...  look above Sarah!!  lol  :)

Andrew

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2006, 10:37:33 pm »
 ::) ;D

Mucky lot you are - LOL.

Sarah
Sarah

busydaffodil

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2006, 10:50:49 pm »
Just a few ideas....opinions.

Someone mentioned motorized.         Couldnt something be done on the lines of that.....like the motorized Golf buggy??  I suppose this would dramatically increase the weight of the trolley, making it heavier to lift in & out of the vans/cars.     

25ltr Water butts........handled them for many years (cleaning business with no water facility so had to take my own).   I'm definitely not a weak woman, but after lifting a few of those into the back of a van, it gets pretty tiring.  I'd not want to lift those around half a dozen times a day AND have to do a days work.   I eventually made room on the drive & ran the hosepipe directly into the water butts that had been placed in the van ready.  Thankfully, I no longer do this job!!