Jonny 87

Re: diesel heater.........costs...
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2018, 07:56:54 am »
So Daz,using provisional figures of £100 per month fuel costs and including your initial purchase cost of £5000.
Over 10 years using that heater is going to cost you approximately.....................
£16K!

If we all lived by that motto we would all
Still be on ladders and shammys because over the years it would save us money. In those 10 years Daz should have done about half a million in turnover in that time.

You could do that with anything.

That tesco meal Deal You buy  instead of making your lunch at home, over 10 years that costs you 3 grand.  ;D and that’s just a sandwich!

I’m About  to spend 5 grand on a heater and I’m more than happy to pay £5  a day on fuel.

I know it’s going to earn me more than it costs in the long run. Hot water definitely in my experience made me faster. You can definitely squeeze in an extra job or two at the end of the day with the time savings, especially in summer with baked on bird mess, first cleans etc. Never mind the fact that in winter you can work when normally you couldn’t.

then there’s the fact it just makes work more enjoyable. More comfortable. We spent most of our lives working, so it’s good to make it as best we can.

Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

dazmond

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2018, 08:38:35 am »
So Daz,using provisional figures of £100 per month fuel costs and including your initial purchase cost of £5000.
Over 10 years using that heater is going to cost you approximately.....................
£16K!

It'll probably cost nearer 17k mate as it'll need servicing and burner replacements too.although i dont know whether it needs servicing every year.

How often do u guys have your heater serviced?

Over the course of 10 years i should earn £400,000-£450,000.

The heater didn't cost 5k it was 4.6.k and that included smart b to b charger,2 batteries and all fitting including VAT.new controller and my original pump being housed inside the heater.

price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2018, 08:57:59 am »
£16K!

Still be on ladders and shammys because over the years it would save us money. In those 10 years Daz should have done about half a million in turnover in that time.

That tesco meal Deal You buy  instead of making your lunch at home, over 10 years that costs you 3 grand.  ;D and that’s just a sandwich!

I’m About  to spend 5 grand on a heater and I’m more than happy to pay £5  a day on fuel.

I know it’s going to earn me more than it costs in the long run. Hot water definitely in my experience made me faster. You can definitely squeeze in an extra job or two at the end of the day with the time savings, especially in summer with baked on bird mess, first cleans etc. Never mind the fact that in winter you can work when normally you couldn’t.

then there’s the fact it just makes work more enjoyable. More comfortable. We spent most of our lives working, so it’s good to make it as best we can.

I very much doubt it'll make you more money jonny than the cost of the heater and ongoing fuel costs compared to just using cold water mate....

I just prefer working with hot water with no faffing about changing gas bottles,warm supple hoses,easier scrubbing and rinsing and generally an overall more pleasant working day.

I wont be squeezing in any extra jobs just because im using hot water...... ;D

DeLuce

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2018, 10:33:18 am »
It's true that initial outlay costs are high, that it may take years to recoup the costs. But sometimes and when you have the right circumstances, why not make life easier if you can afford it?
When I started out, I was working from the back of my car. Trad ladder work. It worked. Costs were low.
Later, I decided to go to wfp. Costs were higher, risks were lower. Life was easier once I'd got to grips with the system which I did on the cheap, building my own diy with much help from people on here. I bought an old van and now it's knackered, I need to change it.
But, now I'm on a firmer footing financial because of my work over the years.
I can afford to have hot and can afford to have a van I like rather than get by with. I don't need hot nor a more plush model of van.
But, you know what, I'm getting older and like to make things easier for myself, if I can.
So that's what I think I'll do.  ;D

DeLuce

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2018, 10:35:28 am »
this is for jonny(and anyone else thats interested)..ive worked 21 days this month and spent £100 extra in diesel (using the heater on full whack every day) so roughly its costing me £5 a day to run the heater.

Mmmm, £5 a day, not too bad!
How are you finding it with regards to eating your brushes and cleaning generally?

ive upgraded my brushes to stiff versions(ultimates and xtremes)and i now have the red 6mm pure freedom microbore which is excellent....cleaning is defo easier esp on bird muck,snail trails and grit from nearby gutters,windows dry quicker too,easier rinsing and warm supple hoses....ill never go back to cold water now... :)

Thanks for that Daz. Good to know how you're getting on mate! Sounds like it's working fine now after your initial problem.
Cheers.

Jonny 87

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2018, 12:48:20 pm »
£16K!

I very much doubt it'll make you more money jonny than the cost of the heater and ongoing fuel costs compared to just using cold water mate....

I just prefer working with hot water with no faffing about changing gas bottles,warm supple hoses,easier scrubbing and rinsing and generally an overall more pleasant working day.

We’ve got different circumstances mate.

I’m flat out with work at the minute, and always tying to squeeze extra jobs in where possible.

I’m using cold water now since I switched van and systems, and I can definitely tell a difference from my speed with just cold.

Just half an hour extra time at the end of the day could be £15-£20 for me easy. That’s he heater paid for in a few years tops. Plus along with the easier working day and warmer hands. Win win for me.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

NWH

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2018, 01:14:51 pm »
I spend over 3k a year on fuel but it’s a means to an end my work is rural and all over spread between 2 county’s.

Splash & dash

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2018, 02:26:48 pm »
£16K!

You will notice a big difference in speed especially in the winter months it’s so much quicker with hot especially on first cleans or costal jobs with tones of salt some jobs we do are that bad in 4 weeks that the windows are opaque that’s not an exaggeration we clean these jobs with minimal extra time it just desolves the salt so fast with cold water it takes ages : I could never go back to cold Evan use hot in the summer just turn it down a bit or turn off the boiler at lunch time and use the hot water in the tank

We’ve got different circumstances mate.

I’m flat out with work at the minute, and always tying to squeeze extra jobs in where possible.

I’m using cold water now since I switched van and systems, and I can definitely tell a difference from my speed with just cold.

Just half an hour extra time at the end of the day could be £15-£20 for me easy. That’s he heater paid for in a few years tops. Plus along with the easier working day and warmer hands. Win win for me.

NWH

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2018, 03:08:29 pm »
Water loving glass hydrophilic as it’s known doesn’t mind cold water but hydrophobic hates cold water especially on small panes of glass,check the latter glass after cold cleaning it’s like looking at a teenager spots everywhere.

dazmond

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2018, 06:04:49 pm »
It's true that initial outlay costs are high, that it may take years to recoup the costs. But sometimes and when you have the right circumstances, why not make life easier if you can afford it?
When I started out, I was working from the back of my car. Trad ladder work. It worked. Costs were low.
Later, I decided to go to wfp. Costs were higher, risks were lower. Life was easier once I'd got to grips with the system which I did on the cheap, building my own diy with much help from people on here. I bought an old van and now it's knackered, I need to change it.
But, now I'm on a firmer footing financial because of my work over the years.
I can afford to have hot and can afford to have a van I like rather than get by with. I don't need hot nor a more plush model of van.
But, you know what, I'm getting older and like to make things easier for myself, if I can.
So that's what I think I'll do.  ;D

exactly....

a lot of us who have been window cleaning a long time have worked out of old bangers for years and had our fair share of breakdowns(both mechanical and personal!) ;D

dazmond

« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2018, 06:31:40 pm »
also i never have to think about putting an oil filled radiator in the van on cold nights anymore.as long as my return valves are connected up the heater will take care of it and prevent the heater,pump and hose from freezing up.great stuff.... :)

Shrek

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2018, 06:34:09 pm »
also i never have to think about putting an oil filled radiator in the van on cold nights anymore.as long as my return valves are connected up the heater will take care of it and prevent the heater,pump and hose from freezing up.great stuff.... :)

It’s gonna be another cold week next week! Think il empty my van into the house again  :'(

dazmond

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2018, 06:40:17 pm »

It’s gonna be another cold week next week! Think il empty my van into the house again  :'(

been there and done that mate.....humping trolleys and barrels into the house,pumpboxes,leisure batteries etc....... ;D

Shrek

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2018, 06:47:41 pm »

been there and done that mate.....humping trolleys and barrels into the house,pumpboxes,leisure batteries etc....... ;D

That’s the plan!  ;D roll on spring time

dazmond

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2018, 08:59:36 am »
its forecast to be sub zero overnight for most of the next week here in the north west....

nathankaye

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2018, 09:49:29 am »
So to summarize;

Diesil heater.                          Immersion heater

£5,000.          (]Setup cost)   less than £100
   A day of work.                       Couple of hrs in
                                                                 evening

£100.            (running cost)          about £40
 Per month.                                      Per month.

Hot water.        (benefits)            Hot water.
Frost protection.                  Frost protection

The potential earning cost is irrelevant as if both methods earn the same wage, which one gives the biggest net profit.

Erm,  im sticking to the immersion heater

;D ;D
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Splash & dash

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2018, 03:39:16 pm »
So to summarize;

evening

The potential earning cost is irrelevant as if both methods earn the same wage, which one gives the biggest net profit.

;D ;D

An immersion heater turned on for a couple of hours in an evening isn’t going to give you hot water to work with it will prevent freezing and that’s it

nathankaye

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2018, 05:38:13 pm »
So to summarize;

evening

;D ;D

An immersion heater turned on for a couple of hours in an evening isn’t going to give you hot water to work with it will prevent freezing and that’s it

Depends what heater you have and how long you have it on.  Plus what tarrif your on.  Before midnight it costs me 15pence per kwh. And only 7pence from midnight till 7 am.  Not exactly a fiver a night nor an extra 100 per month and i work with 60 degrees plus.
But even at 50 degrees i wouldnt want to put my hand in it.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

alank

« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2018, 05:57:08 pm »
The imersion will keep everything frost free and if you want hotter water to work with during the day just turn it on in the morning before you leave for work ;D

Jonny 87

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2018, 07:23:09 pm »
So to summarize;

evening

;D ;D

Depends what heater you have and how long you have it on.  Plus what tarrif your on.  Before midnight it costs me 15pence per kwh. And only 7pence from midnight till 7 am.  Not exactly a fiver a night nor an extra 100 per month and i work with 60 degrees plus.
But even at 50 degrees i wouldnt want to put my hand in it.

Nathan..........I love your posts but please let’s be reasonable. People Read these posts and will
Be disappointed when they try it themselves.

Any normal operator won’t get 60 degrees from an immersion heater.

I’ve worked with a 2kw immersion for years, and at most I would get 40 degrees tops, that was if I had a quiet few days and didn’t use much water, meaning that the immersion was heating water already at 20 or 30 plus degrees.

Fill Your tank up with cold water, and stick your immersion on for one night. That will give you the real world scenario.

Most full Time workers nearly empty there tank on a daily basis, and if this is the case, you will never achieve 60 degrees, unless your running a 3kw Heeater, and costing yourself a fortune in electric, plus running your household electrics at maximum.

In general, all immersion users use them for frost protection, and warm water.

Diesel heaters on the other hand are for those who want “hot” systems.

If I could have 60 degree water all
Day everyday with an immersion, then I and many others would already be using that.

Both have pros and cons, I’ve used both, and I’m going for a diesel system soon.