waynebarry

PUB CLEAN
« on: July 21, 2009, 05:49:46 pm »
Can you guys & girls give me some advice/
I have been asked to clean a local pub one side is 11m x 4.5 and is worn but needs a good clean the other bar is 9m x 6m and has a load of chewing gum on the carpet plus ground in dirt any suggestions on what I should charge as this is alot more dirtier than a normal house.
Your fed back would be gratful!

richy27

Re: PUB CLEAN
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 06:32:30 pm »
removing chewing gum can be quite time consuming so should quote according.

Len Gribble

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 06:51:22 pm »
Care it the gum you don’t see under the black top! years ago some of the top guys were quoting .20p a blob.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Joe H

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 06:54:21 pm »
I'd be looking for a lot more then 20p a blob today Len.

How many in a hour, + materials ??

Make it a round £1 per blob.

Len Gribble

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 07:29:24 pm »
Joe

Back in the Dark Age 2003 :o materials = bread knife :-X :-[ sometimes a bit of chemical not that am advocating a newbie use this method one needs training. ;) ;)

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Gary Webber

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 08:04:33 pm »
Wayne,

You haven't given any indication of your experience? What is the carpet looking like apart from the gum. Are there large areas of "black top" caused by dirt attracting to beer sugar? is the carpet feeling sticky? This will be a factor besides the many hours of gum removal.

You will be looking at a joint scrub-extraction method if bad, plus dealing with countless hours of gum removal. Dont go in CHEAP !

Gary

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 08:07:24 pm »
With my super dooper TM I can sometimes remove gum just with HWE.

Shaun

Len Gribble

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 08:17:01 pm »
Shaun

My Titan remove them with ease but as I said not for a newbie ;)

Len

Gary Webber

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 08:19:20 pm »
Shaun,

Do you remember to give them the carpet back out of your waste tanks!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Gary

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 08:55:30 pm »
Wrapped up with a red bow ;D

Shaun

waynebarry

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 10:06:45 pm »
Gary,
I have been cleaning carpets for about 18 months, there is a large area of black top in the bar where the chewing gum is any advice?

robert meldrum

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 11:30:42 pm »
Wayne

You can quickly and effectively remove gum with a steam cleaner preferably one with some pressure but will also require a rough towel and orange gel or other solvent to wipe away the residue .

That's assuming you don't have the machinery described by Len or Shaun

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 11:34:21 pm »
I tried to get some blue tac out of a carpet today just with the TM.

Although it made it pliable and took the crust off I had to give it some citrus gel and a good going over before it whipped out.

Andrew Briscoe

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 11:35:20 pm »
As Robert says, i use a dry steam unit, often removes in seconds.
Think it runs at about 6 bar.

Andrew

carpetworx

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 04:17:53 am »
removing chewing gum can be quite time consuming so should quote according.

Not with paint stripper ;D

Gary Webber

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 07:52:42 am »
Hi Wayne,

the problem is how much of the black top is disguising the gum. The way I would do it would be to remove as much as possible, prespary and agitate in your agent to remove/breakdown the black top then rinse. Dry pass, then have a go at the rest of the gum with steam gun & gel. Finish off with a final rinse to remove gel residue.  This can be very time consuming if you have lots of pieces, so allow plenty of time.

Gary

Darren O

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 02:57:03 pm »
Think ive finally cracked how to get rid of black top done a pub today used my Hydraforce Sprayer first time ive used it on a pub used Blitz and blasted it at 300psi then used a Rotary on it with brush and then sprayed some more Blitz on it and left for 10mins then when i came to rinse it with the porty it just cut through it like butter i think it was all down to the Hydraforce Sprayer.

davep

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 04:38:09 pm »
I did an indian using JKs citrus cleaner,  Wasnt as bad as black top though just greasy.  Just used the brush to aggitate it.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2009, 06:46:16 pm »
One of the best things we ever did was tell our pub customers we DON'T remove chewing gum. At first glance that might seem like a silly thing to say, but we lost not one of many Breweries that gave us work.
The reason we did is this. One day we were cleaning a pub in in Wirrall and the manager insisted that remove every single chewing gum deposit of which there were hundreds, which we duly did. Low and behold at nine o'clock the cleaners show up and open their cleaning cupboard to reveal a shelf full of Chewing Gum Freezer, which obviously they had never used.
We rang the Area Manager and told him from now on we were no longer doing it. 'Why?' he asked, 'Because we only clean the carpet every few years and so apart from the day it is cleaned, all the rest of the time there is chewing gum on it. But if the cleaners did it on a daily basis then there would be NO chewing gum on it ALL of the time!' He thanked me saying I had done him a favour because now he could solve the chewing gum problem, not just in that pub, but in all of the pubs in the chain.
You're not solving the chewing gum problem by removing it for them, but by telling them you don't do it and that it is something that should be done on a daily, not bi-annual basis, you actually help them solve the whole problem, not just some it.

Simon

Joe H

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2009, 06:57:45 pm »
I hate chewing gum removal and dont do it if I can help it.
Like Simon, I told a pub manager I dont remove it and if I did he would not like the charge, so he got his staff to do it.
In my previous post I said I would do it for £1 a blob. That was a bit tongue in cheek cause, like I said, I dont do it.
BUT what do YOU charge??

AJB

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2009, 07:20:21 pm »
I do a High School every year that is plastered in chewing gum. When i originally tendered
i put on the tender that only some of the chewing gum would be removed, that which was sat
proud of the Bitumin backing. Another quote included £1.50 per blob, his quote was £9500 for
the 1800 SqM they wanted cleaning that year. Glad he was such an a**ehole. Some of the smaller classrooms are more chewing gum than carpet!!

If i'm in the mood i use Craftex chewing gum remover (Very quick).

If theres lots of time Craftex orange Gel ( slowly soak),
or more often than not, if the wand doesn't shift it, it stays put.
www.ajbcarpetcleaning.co.uk
At the end of the day a Satisfied Customer is all that counts, They'll come back and so will their friends!!!

Len Gribble

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2009, 07:32:40 pm »
A few years ago ask to do a quote O’Neill’s Bexleyheath see the picture above the paten, gum was just like that with a bit more black top, gum removal about £750 carpets £650, glad he told me where to go! Understand they had some bonnet boys in there. ;D

Oh I may do a few free that’s the ones I can see ;)

Len

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2009, 06:06:37 pm »
One of the best things we ever did was tell our pub customers we DON'T remove chewing gum. At first glance that might seem like a silly thing to say, but we lost not one of many Breweries that gave us work.
The reason we did is this. One day we were cleaning a pub in in Wirrall and the manager insisted that remove every single chewing gum deposit of which there were hundreds, which we duly did. Low and behold at nine o'clock the cleaners show up and open their cleaning cupboard to reveal a shelf full of Chewing Gum Freezer, which obviously they had never used.
We rang the Area Manager and told him from now on we were no longer doing it. 'Why?' he asked, 'Because we only clean the carpet every few years and so apart from the day it is cleaned, all the rest of the time there is chewing gum on it. But if the cleaners did it on a daily basis then there would be NO chewing gum on it ALL of the time!' He thanked me saying I had done him a favour because now he could solve the chewing gum problem, not just in that pub, but in all of the pubs in the chain.
You're not solving the chewing gum problem by removing it for them, but by telling them you don't do it and that it is something that should be done on a daily, not bi-annual basis, you actually help them solve the whole problem, not just some it.

Simon

And if you're really on the ball you sell them the chemicals to do it-then you build bridges so that they always come back to you for the cleaning.
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way