Ricky M

Mods ??
« on: March 30, 2012, 02:28:05 am »
should a Mod stick it in like that !? some of these post have been a bit harsh of late !

I thought a mod stopped bullying and help to crate a democratic air if posts are getting attacking towards 1 individual  ??

www.ability1975.co.uk
                          www.carpetcleaninguttoxeter.co.uk  
              NCCA !? but why have non of my clients herd of them ??

jasonl

Re: Mods ??
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 06:38:52 am »
Someone stole the moderate from moderator , the sad and unprofessional decline of this forum continues .

Myself and several others I have spoken to are on the verge of doing a Joe.

Moderators I thought were supposed to be impartial , this is an internet wide set of etiquette?
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Mike Halliday

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 06:49:18 am »
I'm assuming you are referring to me, just because you say some thing people don't like it is not 'sticking the boot in', the problem is when i reply to a childish, insulting post then that post is edited are removed it gives a tainted picture of events.

Colin was  childish  he liked to dish it out but anyone who stood up to him was accused of being a bully, all I did was respond to his sarcastic comments which he just deleted or eddited the insults out after i had responded so it looked like he was a victim.  look at his post last night are they the post of a reasonable  man?
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

jasonl

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 07:18:13 am »
I'm assuming you are referring to me, just because you say some thing people don't like it is not sticking the boot in, the problem is when i reply to a childish, insulting post then that post is edited are removed it gives a tainted picture of events.

Colin was  childish  he like to dish it out but anyone who stood up to him was accused of being a bully, all I did was respond to his sarcastic comments which he just deleted or eddited the insults out after i had responded so it looked like he was a victim.  look at his post last night are they the post of a iresanamal  man?

I agree with you Mike ,  BUT , you are the parent ! 

I have to say Colin , as an employee of a supplier is not doing himself any favours, this is why I am in no ones pocket , be it  supplier "trade" association, franchise or whatever .
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 07:59:48 am »
Mike,
I didn't like the way you dealt with Colin, I thought you were patronising at best and bullying at worst. It is the failings of the Mods that make this forum the bear pit it often is because you guy's don't do your job.

Simon

Billy Russell

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 08:04:13 am »
Mike,
I didn't like the way you dealt with Colin, I thought you were patronising at best and bullying at worst. It is the failings of the Mods that make this forum the bear pit it often is because you guy's don't do your job.

Simon

You got splinters from the fence!!!

;)  ;D ;D

bennymon

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 08:27:40 am »
We are the mods we are the mods we are we are we are the mods .oh sorry wrong mods but I think I'll go and listen to the jam now .

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 08:36:24 am »
Mike,

Simon

very good post Simon.....

room on the fence for a Hector ??  ;D

Mike Halliday

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 09:57:38 am »
Mike,

Simon

can you show where i was patronising and bullying?

...... and do you think Colin's sarcastic insult of Tony Gill last night were 'patronising and bullying'..... the problem with answering this question is Colin posts it, allows tony to read it and respond.... then deletes the offending insult.

just like my first post said, you cannot form an educated opinion when a person constantly posts insulting, sarcast replies, lets you answer, then deletes the offending post,

wynne jones

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 12:39:18 pm »

I agree with you Mike ,  BUT , you are the parent ! 

I have to say Colin , as an employee of a supplier is not doing himself any favours, this is why I am in no ones pocket , be it  supplier "trade" association, franchise or whatever .

Think Jason has got it just about spot on.
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

james roffey

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 12:48:05 pm »
I posted a couple of years ago about the "rough and ready style" of this forum the debates do get heated, what with the hidden agendas that are not very hidden  ;D
the passion people have in the  way they do business, machines they use, pricing and marketing. But for all the faults this is by far the most impartial and intesresting forum availlable to carpet cleaners and from my own perspective it has gone a long way to helping me establish my own business and been a invaluable support network.
Even moderators have an opinion, but should i think refrain from insulting other users, "putdowns"  can take many forms and a moderator if he feels enclined to tell someone what he thinks is the truth should do so in a professional way.
I did not see all of the post as i gather some were removed but i believe moderators should be moderate and are in place to stops the lunatics taking over this
particular asylum.

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 01:18:13 pm »
i believe moderators should be moderate and are in place to stops the lunatics taking over this
particular asylum

Too late   ;D ;D

Billy Russell

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 01:34:01 pm »
HERES HECTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;D ;D ;D

Garyj

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 01:39:44 pm »
I think the mods on here do a good job and always have done. It's pretty much a bloke environment and has always been a place for a good laugh, that alone sets it apart from the other forums.  It woul be a pretty boring place without the banter. I learn something every time I come on here, today I learnt that for the company that has done the most for the industry is a toss up between Solutions, Altec, Cleansmart, Restormate and Hydramaaster also learnt Mick is a fatty.

You just can't learn this stuff anywhere else.

Garyj

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 01:41:35 pm »
HERES HECTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;D ;D ;D

He looks more like Dr Snuggles  :-*, nothing a lay in wouldn't cure though.

derek west

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2012, 02:26:14 pm »
I think the mods on here do a good job and always have done. It's pretty much a bloke environment and has always been a place for a good laugh, that alone sets it apart from the other forums.  It woul be a pretty boring place without the banter. I learn something every time I come on here, today I learnt that for the company that has done the most for the industry is a toss up between Solutions, Altec, Cleansmart, Restormate and Hydramaaster also learnt Mick is a fatty.

You just can't learn this stuff anywhere else.
;D

you put on a bit of timber since i last saw you mick???

i've had all the names under the sun thrown at me on here, still got my dummy though. ;D

yes you need a bucket of salt to post regularly on here but like a few have said, still a bloomin good forum, great laugh, great banter and great advice if you have a sieve. ;D

its a shame colins be pushed OTT though as i liked his posts, biased or not, he's still one of the guys.

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2012, 03:15:28 pm »
Dr Snuggles has far too much hair Gary

;D ;D

CARPET KNIGHTS

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2012, 03:52:54 pm »
The thing I have found with the forums is that if someone asks a question about which product etc and someone comes back with, I use this or that, you always seem to get replies basically saying oh don't listen to that he's in the suppliers pocket, which really isn't the truth. All that is being done is that people are recommending what they have experience of.

So many people on here have a knack of belittling people for recommending or talking about what they know and use.

There always seems to be these nonsensical arguements between people who use different suppliers equipment and products, WHY, it's up to them, it's their business, let them do what they want. So many people also seem to get drawn into taking sides in these arguments too, most of which have no experience of what they are arguing about.

Just stop it and grow up. Concentrate on your own business and make informed decisions from your own experiences.

Just my tuppence worth.

Goron

Paul Moss

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2012, 04:09:38 pm »
I totally agree with you on that Nick ;)

jasonl

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2012, 05:29:37 pm »
Mike,

Simon

I agree with Jane Mcdonald on this one.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Craigp

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2012, 05:35:13 pm »
This forum is not decending into anything it's always been like this, remember all this ?

http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=16423.0

See nothings changed!

;D

Russ Chadd

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2012, 07:06:15 pm »
What is all this about?? did i miss something?

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2012, 07:16:57 pm »
Personaly I think the mods do a good job. And they are also human and have the right to have an opinion. IMHO

It is annoying when they remove posts though! I want to see the full extent of the arguments!  :P Better than Corrie this!  ;D

Tony

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2012, 07:40:24 pm »
Mike,
Forget Colin and Tony, they are big boys and can speak up for themselves. The issue with you Mods is that you don't impose any kind of rules as to what is and is not acceptable behaviour, but then every know and again, usually when someone has the gall to say something you don't like, you wade into the bear pit and instead of controlling it through MODERATION end up fanning the flames instead of putting the fire out. You need to think up, then publish a set of rules and then apply them fairly and consistently and thereby make this place a better experience for all.

That's me banned then ;D (again)

jasonl

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2012, 07:52:10 pm »
I agree with Jane , too , it is either moderated or not , simples.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2012, 07:53:43 pm »
Please Mike let my ban him

Plz plz plz ;D

Shaun

Ps tbh being a mod which on this forum is new to me is harder as you do try and let things run to a natural conclusion but sometimes you do have to step in before things happen sometimes you jump the gun but one thing is you do know that the problem is coming.

Pps Jason l - Jane McDonald lol

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2012, 08:50:16 am »
Plz plz plz ;D

Shaun

Shaun,
You can ban me anytime you like, luvvie, all you need is a good reason, or perhaps no reason at all, 'Childish Provocation' was the last one - but I'm sure you could do better. Also interesting that you seem to be more interested in banning people you don't like rather than actually doing your job as a moderator.;)

Simon

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2012, 09:35:30 am »

Shall we take a poll on this... ??

wynne jones

« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2012, 11:33:38 am »
Plz plz plz ;D

Shaun

Shaun,
You can ban me anytime you like, luvvie, all you need is a good reason, or perhaps no reason at all, 'Childish Provocation' was the last one - but I'm sure you could do better. Also interesting that you seem to be more interested in banning people you don't like rather than actually doing your job as a moderator.;)

Simon

He hasn't banned me yet.  ;D

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2012, 04:01:44 pm »
Sense of humour deficit  :o

Shaun

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2012, 06:55:05 pm »
I think you're taking yourself too seriously again Simon relax and enjoy you'll do yourself some harm.

Shaun

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2012, 09:13:23 am »
Shaun,
But you're making lite of a serious issue about behaviour.
I thought moderators were supposed to moderate and maintain some sort of code of conduct.
I haven't read all of the Colin Day topic, but from what I have read there are innumerable points where a moderator could have posted a rebuke to those that had clearly overstepped the mark and make it clear it isn't acceptable.
This would publicly warn the offender and make others aware that there is a code of conduct that needs to be adhered to, if you did that then this forum would be a better place.

Simon

Mike Halliday

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2012, 10:40:53 am »

As you say..... "You havent read all posts on the Colin day topic...."

so you are giving your opinion without knowing  the facts, but how could you read all the post when Colin deleted or edited his offending post, like I said in an earlier post it is impossible to give an intelligent response without all the fact hence your uniintelegent replies.

Wouldn't it be better to take the time to try and read the topic before answering?

Richard Basey-Fisher

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2012, 10:49:48 am »
i think on the whole the mods conduct themselves pretty well on here.  what we must remember is his is a difficult forum to moderate as many members are using nicknames and can comment at will whilst keeping their identity secret. 

there are members who do like to dish out but then get upset when they get it back.

in most instances the people do leave themselves open for attack by their own comments.

most other forums dont have these same problems as they are much smaller and use real names so on the whole are self policed.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2012, 11:38:58 am »
richard is right,  but  we need to remember that a lot of the 'arguments' on here are 'verbal jousting'  even my spat with colin was just 2 men playfully taunting each other he calls me fatty i call him thick... I was disappointed that he resigned his membership there was no need.

Simon calls this place a bear pit..... but its the confrontational topics that make this forum real,  edgy and fun they don't harm the forum, but enrich it.

this why I'm waiting with baited breath for simon's response to me calling him' unintelligent'  ;D ;D

Billy Russell

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2012, 11:47:42 am »

this why I'm waiting with baited breath for simon's response to me calling him' unintelligent'  ;D ;D

Well i'm still waiting for your response on me calling you shrek!!!! but i gather its because you agree with me!!!!

;D ;D

Got to be honest though, its lovers spats like this that make the forum what it is!!!! Bl**dy entertaining!!!! Keep up the good work, and i hope Shrek and his sidekick, Shaun ' Donkey ' Ashmore will also keep up the entertainment!!!!1

;D ;D ;D

Doug Holloway

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2012, 11:54:09 am »
Hi guys

The vibrancy of CIU has been what has set it apart from the other forums and made it the biggest player by far.

This does mean that sometimes we live on the edge and it can be difficult to moderate.

The ability of the mods to ban has made a big difference, previously we had to contact Mike who may not have been available and  some knew this and took advantage.

This has been used very sparingly and is only final in exceptional circumstances.

Obviously there are lurkers and suppliers with agenda's but this is inevitable in a large forum, having fully authenticated proper names would help in this respect but we would lose some of that vibrancy and it would become boring.

The forum has it's own way of balancing and when a post/ topic is placed to promote a product/company this is quickly balanced by others offering different opinions.

In summary we try to treat users as adults and the vast majority behave extremely well, there will always be  a few who like to challenge this, but they can sometimes write very good posts as well as dross.

Cheers

Doug

wynne jones

« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2012, 12:09:47 pm »
So you're on holiday in Kenya and your wife and kids are abducted by Somali pirates.

You have to choose either Doug or Mike as hostage negotiator, who would you plump for?  ;D

Billy Russell

« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2012, 12:10:39 pm »
So you're on holiday in Kenya and your wife and kids are abducted by Somali pirates.

You have to choose either Doug or Mike as hostage negotiator, who would you plump for?  ;D

;D ;D

AshWhite

« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2012, 12:14:01 pm »

That's exactly why I stick to Trekko Bay.
Carpet Cleaning http://www.floors2show.co.uk
Google Adwords Management http://www.pagecrest.co.uk

Billy Russell

« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2012, 12:17:13 pm »

TRECCO BAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your having a laugh!!!!! i'd rather holiday in fancy dress as sadam hussain in Iraq!!!!!

Trecco bay, your taking it to far now Ash!!! Full of bl**dy welsh!!! There worse than the Taliban!!!

;D ;D ;D

wynne jones

« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2012, 12:21:41 pm »
Mike ;D

That's funny cos Mike chose Mike as well.  ;D

Mike Halliday

« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2012, 12:25:39 pm »

You have to choose either Doug or Mike as hostage negotiator, who would you plump for?  ;D

what you don't realise is..... i am the logical choice as I speak the native language of somalia

Eg:

matarlos a todos no me importa, ja, ja, ja, ja me pasa otra cerveza

wynne jones

« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2012, 12:43:19 pm »

You have to choose either Doug or Mike as hostage negotiator, who would you plump for?  ;D

what you don't realise is..... i am the logical choice as I speak the native language of somalia

Eg:

;D

Something like  Tough luck buddy, pub now?

AshWhite

« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2012, 12:52:33 pm »
looks suspiciously like Spanish to me..
Carpet Cleaning http://www.floors2show.co.uk
Google Adwords Management http://www.pagecrest.co.uk

Dennis

« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2012, 12:55:08 pm »

Eg:

Use an online translator.  ;D

http://www.fissio.com/pirate.pl

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2012, 01:20:23 pm »

so you are giving your opinion without knowing  the facts, but how could you read all the post when Colin deleted or edited his offending post, like I said in an earlier post it is impossible to give an intelligent response without all the fact hence your uniintelegent replies.

Wouldn't it be better to take the time to try and read the topic before answering?

Mike,
You're missing the point, conveniently, perhaps. Members shouldn't be allowed to conduct themselves in the manner of the Colin Day topic and surely as moderators you should have posted against the people who went too far and thereby establish some standards. If you don't, or won't do that, what do you actually do as moderators and if you aren't prepared to moderate, should you be moderators at all?

Simon

jasonl

« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2012, 01:24:08 pm »
I think the mods have made it quite clear that they actively encourage what goes on in order to liven the place up a bit ....

Its a bit like a loose woman , if we dont like it we are free to leave I guess and start up our own amazing TM forum with loads of posts , I am sure that would soon become more lively than here in no time.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2012, 02:19:40 pm »
I could negotiate with pirates but they better be ready for me as I'm a poor Yorkshireman and they have a ship I wonder who would come out on top?

Anyone fancy a boat trip? ;D

Shaun

Mike Halliday

« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2012, 04:25:19 pm »

so you are giving your opinion without knowing  the facts, but how could you read all the post when Colin deleted or edited his offending post, like I said in an earlier post it is impossible to give an intelligent response without all the fact hence your unintelligent replies.

Mike,
You're missing the point, conveniently, perhaps. Members shouldn't be allowed to conduct themselves in the manner of the Colin Day topic and surely as moderators you should have posted against the people who went too far and thereby establish some standards. If you don't, or won't do that, what do you actually do as moderators and if you aren't prepared to moderate, should you be moderators at all?

Simon

Simon again, did you read the posts before answering? or do you just write what ever comes into your head? what are you actually on about you?

Members shouldn't be allowed to conduct themselves in the manner of the Colin Day topic .... what does this actual mean what are you referring too?

as moderators you should have posted against the people who went too far..... again what are you referring to..... who went too far????

I think you have a set purpose in your head and just post anything that fit into it,

I constantly question what you say  but  you just ignore my questions and carry writing  your drivel. your posts bear no relevance to what is being written within the topic.

could you at least answer the questions instead of just rough-riding along with you big, bad moderators agenda

creighton foyle

« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2012, 05:09:40 pm »

TRECCO BAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your having a laugh!!!!! i'd rather holiday in fancy dress as sadam hussain in Iraq!!!!!

Trecco bay, your taking it to far now Ash!!! Full of bl**dy welsh!!! There worse than the Taliban!!!

;D ;D ;D

yoh billy i resemble that remark  ;D ;D ;D

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2012, 06:06:18 pm »
Mike,
Your talents are wasted in carpet cleaning, you should have been a politician  ;D

will_turton

« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2012, 09:21:18 pm »
 who cares

Billy Russell

« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2012, 09:24:37 pm »
who cares

i do i do!!!!!! Let them get on with it Billy!!!! This is more entertaining than the tele!!!

;D ;D ;D

Mike Halliday

« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2012, 09:46:19 pm »