wayne zabel

Ideas for naming a business
« on: October 25, 2009, 01:38:35 pm »
Any opinions for naming a CC business.

My wife has come up with something like Kind To Carpets or Kinder Carpets.I'm wondering wether a name should have the word "clean" or "cleaning"in it to identify it when first seen

Is there a rule/law when it comes to calling a business a certain name that may have the same name as another business elsewhere?

For example there maybe a company called ABC Cleaning 50 miles away,what would happn if I were to pick that name?

Daria Taylor

Re: Ideas for naming a business
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 02:12:47 pm »
Well if you are self empoyed which you will probably be to start off with. You could pottencially name it like the other company and get away with it.although the law says you must do a research and not take anyonce name i.e not give your company same name as already existing company.

You willfind all the information here :
http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/layer?r.s=tl&r.l1=1073858805&r.lc=en&topicId=1073859131

And here you can find if theres a limited company with such name exists:
http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/ae1af563a83348f6619ff6c024a063a5/wcframe?name=accessCompanyInfo

The main issue with giving your company name that already exists is that if other company with same name well established people will think you are them, so they may get your businessand other way round in which case they will tak you to court for loss of profits.

james roffey

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 03:55:49 pm »
I spent bloody ages thinking about this question whatever clever name you think up you will find someone got there first, i even went on to the Australian yellow pages to get something that may be unique in the UK you could try that look round the world see one you like then see if it is in use here.
I ended up with "Roffey cleaning" in the end, simply because my internet guy who did my site suggested it, saying its unique the domain name would be availlable, so it will stand out on a google search, it shows you have confidence to put your name behind your business, and he thought people would remember it, you would appear to be in the same position but you could use a play on words with you name as well

derek west

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 04:05:29 pm »
what about "able clean" and if you ever move to germany "zee able clean ya" but without the "ya", thats just silly ;D
derek

Andy Foster

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 04:06:37 pm »
Hi

If you are going limited you can register a name and then trade as whatever you like.
eg - 123 carpet cleaning limited could be the 'official' name but you could trade as jo bloggs carpet care

It is probably a good idea to choose a name that is not similar to anyone near you as this will cause problems and probably bad feeling between the 2 companies.

As James says, if you are having a website, a domain name the same as your trading name (not the limited company name although I would get this too if I were you) would be a distinct advantage.

Andy

gwrightson

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 04:19:24 pm »

you should either name your self by your name , " more personel" and people will take kindly to that, or a name with your local vicinity in it " people will know your local" and prefer that.

Gimmicky, names dont imo work for a professional  local image.

GEOFF
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

wayne zabel

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 04:39:55 pm »
The problem I have in using my name for the business is that because its not an English/British name it might put some off using me.

Bloody Foreigner syndrome if you know what I mean.

Derek,I like your idea.Maybe Abel cleaning and just drop the Z.Your right about the German bit as well,my great great grandad came over from Germany in the 1880's and left us with the name and then went to USA with another woman :D

calmore

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 07:42:09 pm »

My wife has come up with something like Kind To Carpets or Kinder Carpets.I'm wondering wether a name should have the word "clean" or "cleaning"in it to identify it when first seen

Is there a rule/law when it comes to calling a business a certain name that may have the same name as another business elsewhere?

For example there maybe a company called ABC Cleaning 50 miles away,what would happn if I were to pick that name?

Out of the two I prefer "Kinder to carpets".

Personally, I went with the "local name" approach. Granted, I don't get too many jobs outside the local area but I get more from within. People seem to prefer someone they know is local, rather than a company that appears "National", IYSWIM?
Calmore Carpet Cleaning-Southampton
www.calmore.com

Southern PAT Services
www.southernpatservices.com/

vacman

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 07:55:41 pm »

Gimmicky, names dont imo work for a professional  local image.

GEOFF

Well thank you that person, i was starting to think that i was the only person in the world who hated 'cheese'. Don't expect to be easily found in the phone book et al if you are going to muck about with the spelling of a word you use in your business name, never more so if it's the first letter you plan to change (but changing any of the spelling is silly). It may just be the people in my life of course, but I’ve met few people who said they thought a certain ‘witty’ business name was actually quite cleaver or amusing.

Using your own name is great BUT the trouble is on a sign written vehicle it is hard to take in all of the words ie Wayne Zable Carpet Cleaner. It’s worse when the font is fancy and almost illegible when passing the vehicle at speeds of more than 5 mph. Therefore the first part of your business name should make you identifiable AND tell people what you do.

My business is called ”Domestic Cleaning by Adam & Eve” (well, I use mine and my sisters names, not Adam & Eve). It is what is written on our letterhead (our cars are not logoed) and it does what it says on the tin.

You don’t want to pick anything close to a competitor, if only because people will –and believe me they will- get you muddled up. Great if you inadvertently get a job intended for the ‘other’ guy, but horrific if people start bad mouthing the wrong outfit. And they do.

vacman

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 08:00:47 pm »

Out of the two I prefer "Kinder to carpets".

Personally, I went with the "local name" approach. Granted, I don't get too many jobs outside the local area but I get more from within. People seem to prefer someone they know is local, rather than a company that appears "National", IYSWIM?

As far as "kinder to carpets" goes, i have two points to raise.......one, i first read it as 'Kinder' as in "Kinder chocolate egg" and not "kinder" as in "more kind".

Secondly, kinder than what?.......as in "What specifically is it that is 'kinder' and what specifically is it 'kinder' than?"

Were it me, I’d be a bit bothered that one of my competitors took the hump by thinking that the name was implying than this business was kinder than the one round the corner.

wayne zabel

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 08:29:55 pm »
I take your points,but the name was actually Kind To Carpets as in being nice to them and caring for them with safe cleaning methods ect.As I said this is an idea of my wifes. ;D

daz1977

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 09:32:22 pm »
i use the name blue monkey window cleaning, the reason for this was becasue i wanted some thing that would stick in peoples minds, i could of called my self abc window cleaning, 123 window cleaning etc, but wanted something to stand out and a blue monkey does lol  people take a second look when van is pared up rather than just walk past,   y dont you use the name  Blue banana carpet cleaning  that is a name people will remember

james roffey

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 05:06:47 pm »
i use the name blue monkey window cleaning, the reason for this was becasue i wanted some thing that would stick in peoples minds, i could of called my self abc window cleaning, 123 window cleaning etc, but wanted something to stand out and a blue monkey does lol  people take a second look when van is pared up rather than just walk past,   y dont you use the name  Blue banana carpet cleaning  that is a name people will remember

For being noticed i could not agree more,  the best marketing i think is get noticed first above everyone else, what brands or adverts do you remember , i mean canyou imagine the guy who suggested a bloody meerkat to advertise "compare the market.com" its ridiculous but memorable i have my young son wearing a t shirt saying its cool to be green its obvious hes not a model from some agency photo and stands out against the usual  Joe Blogs carpet cleaning "Blue Monkey" fantastic :) the only problem with company names that are amusing are they may not look very professional thats why i went with my own name but you can be adventurous with other marketing

cannon

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 05:34:48 pm »
Round this way Blue monkey was a notorious rave club untill it was burned down

Then there was the new monkey that was closed down

People would be expecting glow sticks, whistles and dancing while you cleaned there windows, it would be a unique selling point though  ;D

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2009, 05:58:12 pm »
Be careful of local names. I call myself  Kinver Clean  as I lived in Kinver at the time and many Black Country folk have a good regard for kinver from their youth.
Trouble is that Kidderminster folk think Kinver folk are stuck up snobs and wont have anything to do with them. Kinver folk think Kiddy folk are the pits ( mostly not far wrong )
So two adverts one Kinver Clean  the other The Carpet Cleaner.
Should have called it something non geographical like Trev's cleaning.

Trevor
God must love stupid people---He made so many.

Ricky M

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2009, 06:22:31 pm »
daz1977 blue banana carpet clean , might not be very pro like but its a classic in my eyes and will never forget that .
CLASSIC  ;D
www.ability1975.co.uk
                          www.carpetcleaninguttoxeter.co.uk  
              NCCA !? but why have non of my clients herd of them ??

daz1977

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2009, 07:05:34 pm »
thanks ricky m,  thats the point i was trying to get across, people remember unusal names and adverts, and will usually take a chance on you, then u get the chance to be professional  and with this your reputation will grow.  having a blue monkey on the side of my van gets it noticed, and that is the hardest thing to do these days

derek west

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2009, 07:16:32 pm »
what about "orange orangutan", well we've got red gorilla and blue monkey, trouble is, is if everyone starts getting freaky with names then us ordinaries will stand out ;D

i think you'll find no matter what you call your business, you'll never please everyone with it.
so weird and wonderful or just plain boring, if you do a good job, they'll never forget you. ;)

derek

vacman

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2009, 07:59:44 pm »
"can you imagine the guy who suggested a bloody meerkat to advertise "compare the market.com"

Ah yes, but there is a method in that madness, which -unusually for me- i quite liked.

Also, the website comparethemerekat.com is quite funny  ;D

Tony Gill Carpet Smart

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2009, 10:36:06 pm »
Mine works for me 8) 8)

Cheers Tony
STAY YOUNG HAVE FUN BE HAPPY xx
www.carpetcleanersbridlington.co.uk

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2009, 09:07:23 pm »
I think Soak and run is a great name for your company Tony ;D

Splash and dash would sound better!

Joking aside it is very difficult when deciding on a company name.

Personally if you live in a large town I think the town name is by far the best to go with. That way it is not personal and it gives people a better idea of the areas you work.

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2009, 10:33:25 pm »

Not that easy. Once you have thought of a few great names. Check if the url has been taken or not.  Has well as the other advice given here.

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2009, 10:40:50 pm »
Well if you are self empoyed which you will probably be to start off with. You could pottencially name it like the other company and get away with it.although the law says you must do a research and not take anyonce name i.e not give your company same name as already existing company.

You willfind all the information here :
http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/layer?r.s=tl&r.l1=1073858805&r.lc=en&topicId=1073859131

And here you can find if theres a limited company with such name exists:
http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/ae1af563a83348f6619ff6c024a063a5/wcframe?name=accessCompanyInfo

The main issue with giving your company name that already exists is that if other company with same name well established people will think you are them, so they may get your businessand other way round in which case they will tak you to court for loss of profits.

Is it right that you can have the same tradmark name has someone., BUT only if it is in a different type of business?

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2009, 01:14:17 pm »

This might help
http://www.biztrek.com/articles/Naming%20your%20business.htm

Mike Halliday

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2009, 01:40:17 pm »
I'm thinking of changing my name by deed pole to Henry the carpet cleaner

'the' will be my middle name, it'll be great and just think of all the free advertising I'll get :D :D  I'll be sat in the doctors and they will have to shout Henry the Carpet Cleaner!!

everytime I have to give my name I will be able to advertise myself :D
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2009, 01:48:31 pm »
Mine will be,
Walter fred paul,  lol

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2009, 04:04:19 pm »

'the' will be my middle name, it'll be great and just think of all the free advertising I'll get :D :D  I'll be sat in the doctors and they will have to shout Henry the Carpet Cleaner!!

Question:

What is Rupert Bear's middle name?

A: "The" ;D

Q: What's white, cold and wears yellow and black check trousers?

A: Rupert The Fridge :'(

You'll be pleased to know I wont be making too many more posts till I get my new computer!
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2009, 04:20:24 pm »
A grown up one we hope  ;)

derek west

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2009, 04:35:40 pm »

Question:

What is Rupert Bear's middle name?

A: "The" ;D

Q: What's white, cold and wears yellow and black check trousers?

A: Rupert The Fridge :'(

You'll be pleased to know I wont be making too many more posts till I get my new computer!

a top of the range V-tech by the sounds of it roger ;D

derek

clinton

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2009, 04:42:17 pm »
All the way from toys r us  ;D

Rob_Mac

« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2009, 04:46:49 pm »
My name is Robert McLean.

Put a hyphen between the M and the C and got M-CLEAN, I work all over the place so added UK and came up with M-CLEAN UK.

All I had to do was fit it to the industry and I guess I was born to do cleaning!!! - Thanks Dad, grandad, great grandad etc etc ;D

Rob ;D

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2009, 04:53:27 pm »
Nice one Rob

Or add an i  and become Rim clean :-\

Sorry Rob I'm in a funny mood today

I've just finished adding all my customers to Kev's Data base

Rob_Mac

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2009, 04:55:12 pm »
We are talking toilet cleaning there Dave, you aren't being rude are you.

I liked that  ;D

Rob ;D

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2009, 04:57:59 pm »
Me Rob be rude not me sir!

clinton

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2009, 05:57:47 pm »
Dave your better than a sir Lord I;)

carpetworx

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2009, 03:19:50 am »