Terry_Burrows

do leaflets work?
« on: October 17, 2006, 12:28:23 pm »
 :-\ we are thinking to do leaflet via the papers etc on a scale :-\ as the yp bt books are total crap :P we thought we might do the leaflet,any of you think they are good worth while ??? like 10,000 in some areas post code areas etc :-\
WWW.FASTESTWINDOWCLEANER.CO.UK
GUINNESS WORLD RECORD HOLDER
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF MASTER WINDOW CLEANERS.

bennymon

Re: do leaflets work?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 02:10:46 pm »
20,000 leaflets put out in local papers cost £250 to print   £550 to put the leaflets out  and i got back £150 in work so no keep your money >:( >:(

Jeremy

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 02:44:29 pm »
You need to be consistant.

Pick a specific area and divide it into 8 week cycles. That is send your flyers out to the same area every 8 weeks.

I send 5000 flyers per week out and try to repeat the area every 8 weeks even if the flyer hasn't changed.

I also target the local community papers in that area for about 3 months.

You will find that people visually only notice you after they have seen you about 7 times.

With this process, I get fantastic results. Once you have established your self in the area you can slow down and concentrate on the next area.

Sending out a once off drop is expensive with little immediate result.

Hope this helps

Regards
Jeremy

cleaning co

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 03:05:15 pm »
no dont do it,    only way leaflets work is through the door on their own,  ive done leaflets for over 10 years and this is the only way to do them  and i hav tryed every way,  must add that leaflets get nowere nr the  responce they did years ago

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 03:20:52 pm »
I find leafleting soul destroying. I always end up knocking on doors and talking to people, you get a resuly within an hour or two . Put a leaflet thru if not in.

Over the last three months business has come from door knocking, parish mags, leafleting (10k) and word of mouth in order of success.

Winter is approaching and the thought of pushing though soggy, crumpled up bits of paper in peoples' letter boxes only for 998 per thousand of them to be binned just doesn't compute. (but I'll probably do it   :'( )   

Terry_Burrows

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 05:45:48 pm »
wow :o I was hoping for more positive news I do agree you would have to work at it every couple of weeks,it is suck it and see :-\
WWW.FASTESTWINDOWCLEANER.CO.UK
GUINNESS WORLD RECORD HOLDER
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF MASTER WINDOW CLEANERS.

rich hand

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 05:57:40 pm »
Yes leaflets work, even if they are posted with 2-3 others and so long that they ARE actually posted, just get the ad right. 1-2 jobs for 1000 leaflets usually which costs me £20 to be printed and distributed.

Phil Marlor

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 06:10:40 pm »
Terry,

There is only one person on the planet who can give you the best advise on Leaflets and that's Mike Halliday.

He knows the best design and where/when/how many etc etc.

You will probably find loads of info from Mike if you do a search!

Phil
Stevenage, Herts

LUTON TOWN 3-0 SUNDERLAND

Mike Halliday

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 07:40:12 pm »
leaflets work.

people who say they don't haven't done enough or had the right leaflet.

a good leaflet put through enough letterboxes will succeed.

I did 5k a week for 6years this kept me working full time 6 days a week.

but I agree with cleaning Co they are not as good as a couple of years ago ( more people doing them?)

to be truthful I've stopped replying to these leaflets questions because of all the stick i was getting, " I did what you said and it was crap" but when I asked a few questions they didn't do exactly what I said.

its like baking a cake, you stick to the recipe or the result will change.

I spend a lot of time at DP design and see a lot of crap leaflets, no wonder people don't get a result.

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

David_Annable

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 07:51:13 pm »
Hi

What always suprises me is when DP design send out leaflet samples is that about 70% of them have low prices on.

Even people running TM.

Have you ever seen Chem Dry or Safeclean leaflets with prices on ?

Dave

NCCA, Woolsafe, IICRC Leather Cleaning Technician

benny d

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 08:36:46 pm »
>>I spend a lot of time at DP design and see a lot of crap leaflets, no wonder people don't get a result.<<

Seen my new one Mike??  ;)
"If i'm not in action, I'm in traction"
Voted 397th best looking carpet cleaner in West Sussex 2015. Up 10 from last year...

AquaMagic

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 08:48:34 pm »
Flyers work but you have to get plenty out, you would be suprised how long someone will hold onto a flyer so dont be disapointed if you dont get 10 jobs on the first day you put them about, ive got my responce rate to about 0.035 ish on average which is realistic but would love to get it higher which is why every time i print more flyers i tinker with it just a little then monitor the results.

Dene

Bill Robinson

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2006, 08:59:25 pm »
council estates v private what do you all recon is the best to delever to or does it not make a differance

the red carpet

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 09:02:40 pm »
Yes Yes and Yes again, they do work. Im personally thinking of dropping all other advertising and just soley doing leaflets.

At the moment i also advertise on the web, witch gets me a lot of work, but the jobs come from all over the show and are often 30 miles apart, this means you spend half the day on the road driving, and when your driving your not earning.

I also advertise in the y/p and all you get from that is price shoppers, and i also find once someones got to the stage that there actually looking in the y/p for a cc they really need one and there carpets are filthy, meaning harder work.

With leaflets your work is concentrated in a small area that you want to work in, the customer dosent usually have another number in front of them to get another quote so you win more jobs, and its usually a spur of the moment thing for them so i find the carpets are less dirty.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2006, 09:07:17 pm »
Benny, does it have a big bee on it? whats it like?

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Geoff Jewkes

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2006, 09:07:46 pm »
Yes they work!!!

I agree with mike halliday. My missus puts 1000 a week out and they generate £300 - £400 a week. Your flyers have to look good though, my latest design works a treat. Print them all myself and can do 1000 for just over a tenner.

Gwet A4 paper and trim it to A5 ( halves the paper cost ) and get a cheap supplier of ink. I can get a full set of cartridges for Epson R220/ R300 for a fiver a set if bought in bulk ( Epson charge £48.99 a set  :o )

Geoff Jewkes

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2006, 09:10:16 pm »
Red it can be done. All I use is a colour ad in thomsons and flyers, and obviously recommendations. Flyers are more affective than the thomson local

Damian

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2006, 09:12:11 pm »
What do you reckon to mine then Mike? Ive never done leaflet drops before so giving them a go ;D
Kids for the ex-missus. The fireblade is my baby!!

the red carpet

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2006, 09:16:31 pm »
All my work really comes from leaflets now when i think about it, coz im still getting calls from the y/p and net but i never do the jobs because of the reasons iv allready stated. Iv got to a stage were if i get a feeling the people are gona be a headach or if the jobs to far i tell them i can do it but that i have no appointment for around 6-8 weeks.

This usually gets rid of them ;)

Geoff Jewkes

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2006, 09:21:49 pm »
The only thing with leaflets you gotta have someone you trust to get them out while you're busy to keep a steady flow of work. Do you do your own leaflets red???