johnstanley

Tips for starting driveways / patio cleaning
« on: January 04, 2004, 03:59:54 am »
:)hi
im just starting a driveways/patio cleaning comp has any one got any tips or usefull info
thanks john

recs

Re: driveways
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2004, 10:23:18 am »
Hi John
       I am just doing the same thing ready for springtime.
I have just purchased a Kranzle machine and I am impressed with its results.If you have not got your machine yet its worth having a look at their site www.kranzle.co.uk (sorry express). I have certainly found there is no need for hot water machines and chemicals forget it. As long as the machine is powerfull enough it will do the job.
I would be interested to know how you are going to price up i.e. per square meter or per hour,etc.
would be good to share our thoughts/potential prob's
Regards Russell
;D

johnstanley

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2004, 07:28:52 pm »
hi russell
thanks for the info i think im getting a washer off e-bay
have you heard of soda crystals they are cheap and good for grease let me know if you want some info
john

recs

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2004, 11:04:03 pm »
yes please John send me any info you have and i will likewise. what machine are you going for??
have you considered using it for fascias and soffits ??
i get a lot of these in the spring but iam not sure wether it would make more work or not.

johnstanley

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2004, 06:46:36 pm »
hi russell
im just phoneing round for supplyers(what area are you)

fascies/soffits you could cause a lot of dammage with a pressure washer on wood

denzle

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2004, 08:05:02 pm »
John,
In my humble oppinion you would be better off getting a petrol engined unit ( 11hp Honda or Briggs and Stratton ) with a power output of 200bar. This will clean anything and will last you forever. Treat yourself to a Turbo lance and there will definately be nothing that you won't be able to get clean.
If you want to ask any questions on how to do certain things / Tips etc let me know what you need and i'll do my best to answer them.
Hope this helps
Denzle

johnstanley

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2004, 08:29:42 pm »
hi denzle
thanks for the info
its good to know theres help out there i'll be in touch or let me know if you think of anythink :D
thanks john

Mike_Boxall

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2004, 08:37:11 pm »
Hi Recs

We'll let you off the Kranzle issue but I'm interested to know why you went for it rather than any other?
How are you going to deal with oil and grease patches if you dont have heat or chemicals?

I'd agree with the spec that Denzle gave and although we supply Karcher machines we supply quite a few Deltas for this type of work. If you're interested in more info click here: http://www.express-cleaning-supplies.co.uk/shopbask/it120014.htm

Regards

Mike

denzle

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2004, 10:42:26 pm »
From experience, oil and grease are very difficult stains to remove and its a brave man that claim's he can remove it completely.
For block paving i would say that the best approach is to remove the affected area and replace with new or reclaimed blocks, the same goes for slabbs.
And don't even think about cleaning tarmac drives as you'll rip big chunks out of it. I have tried numerous chemicals which will often lessen the stain but i have never completely removed it.
Maybe a hot water machine might but the price of those is prohibitive.
Denzle

denzle

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2004, 10:46:14 pm »
Just had a look at the spec of mikes machine, that is exactly the sort of thing to buy !!
It'll last you forever and will clean anything. just one tip though... get a turbo lance as well, that will set you back about £80 and is worth every penny.
Denzle

Mark Betts

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2004, 11:17:26 pm »
This seems  like a good add on business.

As a matter of interest how much say per sq/yd would you charge to clean drive ways and patios etc?

Many Thanks

Mark
A Dog Isnt Just For Christmas.........  Save a Bit For Boxing Day  !!!!!

denzle

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2004, 10:30:50 am »
Mark,
Have a look at my last post under Rotary Washers, that will give you an idea of pricing. Bear in mind that all areas of the country are different and what works for one may not work for another and of course the more affluent areas will pay more.
Denzle

recs

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2004, 11:29:13 pm »
Hi Mike
 sorry for delay answering- busy boy.
 the reasons i chose kranzle is locality (essex) where i am based plus excellent pricing. I got a great deal on a factory return machine 1 month old with a cracked casing(now has a new one).
Denzle
  I would only use machine on upvc fascias/soffits as you say it will cause damage to standard wood type.
I am using the machine as a bolt on to my windows hope to get a lot of work in the springtime .
Russell

denzle

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2004, 06:08:29 am »
Rus,
Don't know if your interested but you can get extention lances that will reach facias etc from the ground. I have one that goes to 21' high, it is a bit of a beast at that kind of hight but it is good.
Fom memory it cost about £100 and was made by Whirlaway.
Just a thought.
Denzle

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2004, 08:12:33 pm »
Rus,
Don't know if your interested but you can get extention lances that will reach facias etc from the ground. I have one that goes to 21' high, it is a bit of a beast at that kind of hight but it is good.
Fom memory it cost about £100 and was made by Whirlaway.
Just a thought.
Denzle

Hi Denzle,
Is this extension wand you have made from fibre glass?
I used to have these (yellow in colour) when finances allowed I upgraded to aluminium,much better control and fewer accidents! ::)

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2004, 08:33:07 pm »
:)hi
im just starting a driveways/patio cleaning comp has any one got any tips or usefull info
thanks john

John, the best advice IMO would be don`t underestimate the work and time involved.If you have enough work pass on block paving restoration and concentrate on flags,concrete and PIC.Speed is the key to make money,and rotary cleaners is the way to go.
Be extra careful doing flagged areas as invariably the mortar jointing is much softer and liable to damage and blow-out.Your existing client base(if you have one) should provide you with enough to get started, but be choosy.
A 45 degree fan tip,and a pin jet will come in handy and if you can, go for flow rate not PSI to clean and try and hook up with a chemical supplier in your area,chemicals do have there uses for certain jobs.
I move around quite a bit in the restoration of PIC, resealing and restoring colouring,as increasingly companies seem to apply nothing better than varnishes instead of a quality sealant.If you have any questions feel free to ask away,hope this helps!Good luck

denzle

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2004, 10:48:33 pm »
Yes Pepe it is a yellow fibreglass extion wand and at full reach it is a beast to control. However i seldom need the full lenght so the end section gets left in to give me a bit more rigidity. Don't often use it but it's there for when the need arises.
Denzle

johnstanley

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2004, 07:24:58 pm »
hi pepe
thanks for the info do you use a hot or cold washer
do you think hot washers are any use for cleaning driveways
rotary washers are costley do you know a supplier?
thanks for your help
                                john  

Rob_B

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2004, 10:28:55 pm »
I have been looking at this as an add on and have found a supplier in Doncaster if this helps.

http://tech-clean.co.uk/

johnstanley

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2004, 01:31:46 am »
thank rob
iv been after that address for ages
thanks john