Glen

How long can you clean windows for?
« on: August 08, 2005, 10:19:17 pm »
I have been window cleaning since 1997 and have had an increasing amount of pain, of late. I read about people being window cleaners for 25 years and can't understand how they are not injured. My back, shoulders and arms are really aching like mad.

Anyone else in the same boat? Can you suggest any treatment/exercise? I stretch my shoulders and arms twice a day and attend a Chiropractor once a month but not much help.

Chris Cottrell

Re: How long can you clean windows for?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 10:28:35 pm »
Hi Glen

I haven't been w/c for long but have had muscle aches for many years as Rhuematoid arthritis (if thats how you spell it) with no real cure  but I can say that rest is not the best thing just makes it worse so keeping active does it for me

Im def no doctor but hope this helps a bit

with sympathy

Chris C

Paul Coleman

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 10:46:42 pm »
I have been window cleaning since 1997 and have had an increasing amount of pain, of late. I read about people being window cleaners for 25 years and can't understand how they are not injured. My back, shoulders and arms are really aching like mad.

Anyone else in the same boat? Can you suggest any treatment/exercise? I stretch my shoulders and arms twice a day and attend a Chiropractor once a month but not much help.

I've found that it can go through phases.  Within a few minutes of finishing work, it can be helpful to tighten each muscle group for about 15 seconds then relax. This can cut out much of the aching that occurs later when the muscles get colder.  Also, when it was bad several years ago, I went to see a good acupuncturist regularly for quite a while.  It was one of my better decisions.  I haven't needed to go for quite a while but may start up again for a session every few weeks just to maintain what I've got.  I know many Western doctors see acupuncture in a bad light but maybe they just feel threatened.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 11:30:19 pm »
I have been window cleaning since 1997 and have had an increasing amount of pain, of late.  My back, shoulders and arms are really aching like mad.
Absolutely the same here, right down to starting in '97!

I've had tests for arthritis a few times as my joints ache a lot, and click, clunk and crunch.
I've always got shooting pains and permantly tired.

I'm falling apart at 31!

It's mainly in my wrists the aching though.... ;D

Roger.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 05:41:12 am »
I have been window cleaning since 1997 and have had an increasing amount of pain, of late.  My back, shoulders and arms are really aching like mad.
Absolutely the same here, right down to starting in '97!

I've had tests for arthritis a few times as my joints ache a lot, and click, clunk and crunch.
I've always got shooting pains and permantly tired.

I'm falling apart at 31!

It's mainly in my wrists the aching though.... ;D

Roger.

I see the smiley about the wrists aching so I'm not sure if you are joking or not.  Anyway, I've done one of mywristsa big favour in recent years.  I use a swiv-loc applicator for wetting the windows (I don't know if you use WFP or trad).  Using the swivloc allows the bending to occur on the applicator rather than the wrist.  Of course his is no help to the other wrist.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 08:12:04 am »
Yes I'm a trad worker.

Is that swiv-loc the same concept as this Wagtail squeegee people are talking about?
I find both wrists ache a lot, and I've over strained one and had nearly a week off.
The reason?

Wringing out my wet scrim. >:(

I tried different ways when my wrist was still tender, including putting it on the ground and driving my car over it!

Paul Coleman

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 08:33:28 am »
Yes I'm a trad worker.

Is that swiv-loc the same concept as this Wagtail squeegee people are talking about?
I find both wrists ache a lot, and I've over strained one and had nearly a week off.
The reason?

Wringing out my wet scrim. >:(

I tried different ways when my wrist was still tender, including putting it on the ground and driving my car over it!

Well I hope that your tyre was on at the time.
Re swivloc.  I believe that it is similar principle to the wagtail.  Its just an applicator that swivels at the neck and can be locked in several different positions. I really bought it for using on a pole when I couldn't stand directly beneath a window.  However, my right wrist was aching a lot so I decided to try it out as an ordinary applicator too.  The only time I use another applicator is when I constantly need the very small applicator on a job and the windows are a bit large for scrimming only.
I suggest you give it a try.  All you have to lose is the price of the applicator.  Even then, it can be used for some pole work.

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2005, 09:40:22 am »
I've been w/c since 1987.
I'm not fit fanatic..Got stiff joints and pains everywhere.  Neck,elbows,wrists,fingers,hip,knees,ankles,fallen arches, but most people I talk to in my age group are heading the same way, not just window cleaners.  What do you expect?  Unless you keep super fit, you can't stop the tide coming in, just keep active, its called repetitive strain..modern living.  Don't waste your money on Chiropractors etc. It won't go away but your money will!  at least you get a result from what we do!
I had a client tell me what a nice man her chiropractor is, so helpful and understanding.  She paid £35 for 20 minutes.  Did he solve the problem?  Oh no she says, I've had it for years!!  Then she moans as I tell her it now costs £9 instead of £8 to clean her windows which take more time than the quack spent on her!!
long term it's not such a doddle window cleaning thats why we charge what we charge, but the positives are more than the negatives.
Pj

dustycorner

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2005, 07:56:36 pm »
Hi all,

I have problems witth my knees due to old football injuries, i now take a calcium magnesium tablet everyday it really helps.

Cheers Mark.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2005, 08:25:33 pm »
I'm forever being told to take Glucausamine(spelling?)

Apparently it's very good for joints.

So is cod liver oil, but it's b***dy foul even in tablet form. >:(

windolene

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2005, 09:05:17 pm »
Hi,

I'm 41 been window cleaning 22 years & am fit as a fiddle with no physical problems. A friend of mine has just retired at the age of 81, again in good all round health.

Kevin.

Perfectly Clean

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2005, 09:17:33 pm »
Maybe im wrong about this but I think it comes from Repetative Starin Injury, A lot people think its just typists with get it but any job where you use the same muscles for hours on end are in danger of getting RSI.

The key is and this is an example....You use your wrist to put water on the window so you are using that same muscles for god knows how many hours in the same way no change, so to help stop this every hour for a minute or so you need to change direction move it around, like when your wrist starts aching when doing lots of typing.  The same using a WFP and spening hours looking up the pole...Every hour move the neck around get the other muscles working....
There are also things which can help when the aches start, like knee supports wrist supports etc...They do work I done Tae Kwon Do for many years and have had a few knocks so have needed these...

Im no Doc but these are just things I have learnt along the way.....

Hope it helps a little.

Paul

The Bear

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2005, 09:25:57 pm »
I first started in 1984, properly from 1991.

About 4 years ago every thing ached, then I lost 3 stone, now nothing aches.

Loose weight, live longer!

Perfectly Clean

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2005, 09:27:48 pm »
Thats no good to me bear...Im 10 1/2 stone as it is...you should see the legs bow when i pick the ladders up  :)

AuRavelling79

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2005, 10:12:56 pm »
I'm with Bear - I'm 46 years old and have been w/c pt since 1997 and ft since 2000, I'm 6ft and have dropped over 3 stones by diet and extra exercise (mainly cycling). No more aches in the knees and feet anymore!

Other tips:-

I got wfp in Feb but I still do traditional one day a week primarily because it gives me a break from the muscle groups I usually use with the pole. And I sometimes do downstairs traditionally (either for the same reason or to save water as I can only carry 200 litres)

I always use the lightest gear - DIY ladders (Change every two years) Unger Ali pole (Light as  a feather) but top three sections (the ones I use most) will need new cones every six months.

But I'm probably just a bit lucky with the old genes too!
It's a game of three halves!

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2005, 10:20:56 pm »
Over the years I've had problemswith aches at one stage when I got up in the morning I was like a wooden top trying to come down the stairs nothing would bend, don't know what I've done but it seems to have gone away, I tend to drink more water during the day now about 4 to 5 ltrs, I use WFP so the wrists don't play up as much but I still carry wrist supports and elastic tube bandage for the times when they need supporting i.e when using WFP for long periods of time,and recently I've started to eat a lot more fruit instead of the normal choc and crisps.But I still have days when if I sit for to long I drop off to sleep (I call this power napping if a customer catches me)

But like Malc g I am now going though the prosses of changing my life style Gi diet, exercise lost 16lb so far in about 6 weeks need to drop about another 28lb.Who would have thought watching my weight at 50+
The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2005, 10:42:52 pm »
Thats no good to me bear...Im 10 1/2 stone as it is...you should see the legs bow when i pick the ladders up :)
I'm with you Perfectly Clean. I'm not much heavier than you, and if I lost weight I'd lose strength with it.

How anyone can have excess weight in this job beats me.
I eat like a Grand National winner and I'm still always hungry.

If you aint burning it off you aint working hard enough. ;)

The Bear

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2005, 06:35:52 am »

Incorrect Squeaky, how hard you work, or even how fit you are has nothing to do with it.

Some very large people are very fit, resting heart rate is a good indicator.

For many carrying too much of either fat or muscle, will put a strain on your bones.

Don't ever suggest i'm not working hard enough!!

9-4 Mon-Thurs with an hour lunch.

Friday 12 latest then usually off playing golf.  8)

So about 25-26 per week.

You part timers

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2005, 08:58:20 am »

Incorrect Squeaky, how hard you work, or even how fit you are has nothing to do with it.

Some very large people are very fit, resting heart rate is a good indicator.

For many carrying too much of either fat or muscle, will put a strain on your bones.

Don't ever suggest i'm not working hard enough!!

9-4 Mon-Thurs with an hour lunch.

Friday 12 latest then usually off playing golf. 8)

So about 25-26 per week.

You part timers

good on ya bear

Tell Stephen Hawking he wasn't working hard enough!!
You do know of Stephen Hawking?
Or Christopher Reeve (Superman).

As I said on my previous comment I ache all over, I've tried loads of remedies, best thing?  I keep going, don't winge, try not to be preachy, and try to believe that you are all doing your best in your own way.
someone once said "It's okay to be a vegetarian, but I have found them to be self righteous and full of wind!!"  I never said that.
I'm late, gotta get on, ooh, ooh , can't move I ache!!
Pj

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2005, 04:36:40 pm »
Do you drink too much Glen?

"I hurt, so I must be alive!" ;D

Pj