matt

raining
« on: January 06, 2007, 01:28:25 pm »
will it ever stop raining ?? ?? ?

forcast for next week is just RAIN  :'( :'(

Re: raining
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 01:52:55 pm »
never trust a weather man. i only ever look one day ahead becasue they cant even get that right let alone 5 days

matt

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 03:05:34 pm »
i hope your right, i could do with working 2 out of my 3 days next week ;) could do with a few pennies

steveaqua

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 03:18:31 pm »
I looked at the 5 day forecast last night and it said Mon-Wed Raining and Thursday Friday dry, i need a full 5 days next week to earn my cash...there was thursday this week which was suppose to dry but all day showers on and off, so yes never trust the weather man  >:(

matt

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 03:34:11 pm »
I looked at the 5 day forecast last night and it said Mon-Wed Raining and Thursday Friday dry, i need a full 5 days next week to earn my cash...there was thursday this week which was suppose to dry but all day showers on and off, so yes never trust the weather man  >:(

mon to wed is what i work, so thats my 3 days gone

are well, cannot do anything about it

simon knight

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 03:35:10 pm »
The forecast for saturday was dry until noon. So I book up 7 small jobs for this morning. It's rained non-stop since 8.30 and I've had to cancel them all. I'm not watching the forecasts any more....my cat is more accurate. If he doesn't want to be let out at 6am rain is almost guaranteed.

P®oPole™

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 04:15:58 pm »

mon to wed is what i work, so thats my 3 days gone

are well, cannot do anything about it

I will be working come rain or shine ;)

Pro

Trevor Knight

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 04:57:23 pm »
post reported - now modified - the amount of days a person works is their choice!
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

steveaqua

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 05:22:08 pm »
I only got from 9am till 11.30am working time today, it was real heavy rain in the end and i ain't working in that, tomorrow the east midlands is suppose to be dry for most of the day, fingers crossed  ::)

simon knight

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 05:34:05 pm »

If the BBC website is to be believed it's gonna be poxy all this week. I'm getting to the stage where even if the forecast says dry till midday I have to really force myself to rack-up the ladders etc for a few hours work.

jeff1

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 05:35:14 pm »
Now I have changed over to wfp, I did my first day in rain and wind, not one moan from any of my customers, so unless its raining hard its work in the rain from now on ;D

pylofm

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 05:41:20 pm »
Hi Guys I use this website http://www.meteox.com/h.aspx?r=holiday&jaar=-3&soort=loop3uur
and it does actually help me in planning my day...used it today and worked out that by staying home for an extra half hour I would miss the rain in the area where I was due to work today... ;D

pjulk

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 06:05:05 pm »
Went out at 9.30 this morning and back at 12.10 as it was pouring hard and im not happy about cleaning window in the rain.
But still earn't quite a bit for the time i was out.
So im happy.

Well if they are right about the weather this week i will be doing some decorating indoors i have put it off long enough.
But i expect they got it wrong like usual and i will have to go and earn some money.

Paul

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007, 06:09:43 pm »
Well I did £10 today before it belted down all day. :(
Tomorrow's supposed to be a total washout too.

I've got nothing to give the taxman by the end of the month. >:(
Guess I'll have to have a polite chat...

JM123

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 06:14:42 pm »
Squeeky you can still work in the rain, I've done it many times trad - you need to squeegee really well though - thats not a dig I'm just saying it can be done but needs to be done really well.
Live life in the fast lane.......if you break down you'll freewheel further

Ballymena N.I

Ian_Giles

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2007, 06:19:41 pm »
The rain is a right pain in the neck >:( I didn't let it stop me having a good day though, but then I was doing commercial work today, so not remotely affected by the weather.
Tomorrow I'm mostly domestic. so long as it isn't hammering down or there are gale force winds I'll work in the rain.
Around here it wasn't that bad today, mostly that horrible heavy drizzle, I don't  mind working on in that stuff.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

steveaqua

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2007, 07:15:57 pm »
Just seen the weather forecast for tomorrow.

BBC1 saying Dry where i am for most of the day

SKY NEWS WEATHER saying raining from 11am till 5pm

Which one is it, bloody weather men! >:(

simon knight

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2007, 07:22:24 pm »

Nip outside and if the cows are lying down and the pine cones are closed rain's on the way.

dai

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2007, 07:43:13 pm »
Do you ever go out on the morning thinking you have forgotten something?
I find with the onset of old age this is a frequent occurrence.
I did a mental check of all my bibs and bobs. Got every thing I need.
I get to the job 25 miles away and realise I have forgotten my hill walking jacket.
Of course it starts lashing down. I don't mind working in drizzle, but not without a jacket. And while I'm thinking about it. I better go and put it in the van now.
It looks like I'll be needing it tomorrow. Dai

Mr.G

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2007, 10:13:46 pm »
it,s getting ridiculous, what with all the rain over the last couple of months, plus the christmas break, I'm nearly 4 weeks behind now, and the customers are moaning...

Trevor Knight

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2007, 07:43:04 am »
it,s getting ridiculous, what with all the rain over the last couple of months, plus the christmas break, I'm nearly 4 weeks behind now, and the customers are moaning...

Clean in the rain! I have done this for years now, otherwise, someone may knock on their door canvassing, customer thinks, hmm, my window cleaner still hasn't been, must have give up, ok then, when can you clean?

The new window cleaner turns up in the rain and customer thinks, at least i am getting them cleaned today!

If your that worried, clean them and if they complain, explain its so you can keep up and if all else fails offer them a discount as its rained, personally i never give a discount but then my customers know we will clean regardess of the weather, unless of course its honking it down all day!

Chris - CBWC

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2007, 09:04:19 am »
I'm having one of those weeks where I'm mentally battling to go out and work, but losing!  Yesterday it was supposed to rain all day, so I looked forward to a day off, didn't go out, and it didn't rain til the afternoon.  Today, I was set to go out, but it's ridiculously windy and gusting quite violently.  I say to the wife when she moans that I can't clean windows if I'm hugging the ladder with both arms (trad only) but still think I'm being a lazy bum!  Do any trad cleaners stop because of the wind?

Chris

007 or what

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2007, 09:17:24 am »
I used to not clean trad in the wind although the guy i was working for dint like us to stop for anything, anyway i'm not really bothered if it rains or is windy this week i've got bloody flu  :( again i'm a week behind  :'( cough cough sniff sniff

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2007, 09:26:48 am »
Yet another washout as predicted.

People say work in a bit of rain, but it's lashing down and the wind is really gusty.
Nobody's going to have it done in this. :(

I certainly wouldn't.

pjulk

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2007, 09:34:22 am »
Just light rain here but the wind is strong so just got to get motivated to do some decorating.

Paul

KarlJones

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2007, 09:37:31 am »
Here in south staffordshire the postman said it was very gusty and he is right.  Saw a window cleaner while taking my son to school.  Greedy begger cleans em every fortnight no matter what the weather.  I do not think I would bother as it is a battle to walk around in it let alone work.  No rain yet though.

You can all come canvassing for me if you like :D
You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind.

seansurrey

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2007, 10:04:28 am »
Don't mind a bit of rain but the customers seem to. I'v managed to get out just 4 days since xmas. I phone round the night before then they phone in the morning to cancel I'm now nearly 4 wks behind.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2007, 10:07:55 am »
I'm with Roger on this one, conditions are really bad today, heavy wind and rain too, the worst of all weather combinations.
Shops I'll do because they are done so often, you can't leave them because of the weather, you have to stick very rigidely to your routine.
most offices are at least monthly, so in extreme conditions like these at present I leave those till things calm down a little too.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2007, 10:34:16 am »
It's too bad for me to!  Fancy a game of squash, Ian?

rugby

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2007, 10:35:18 am »
  looks like no work for me either, again  :'(  only light rain  here in gloucester, but the heavy wind is driveing it against the windows,dont think customers would be too happy if i turned up in this

i blame you lot in chepstow,we always seem to get your bad weather a couple of hours after you  ;)

gmcs

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2007, 10:42:36 am »
Has not stopped for the last 5 days in "Sunny" >:( est Someet and is p***ing it down still

Trevor Knight

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2007, 10:47:36 am »
People say work in a bit of rain, but it's lashing down and the wind is really gusty.
Nobody's going to have it done in this. :(

Totally agree with you, however, if its just light rain or drizzle then we just crack on, never had any problem with that?

seanmcshane

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2007, 10:49:06 am »
I`m in now with the rain and wind hammering at the windows. I have an engineer on the way to fit a business line in my hose and am awaiting delivery of a ladder stand off.
When and if I am free this afternoon, I have 2 well priced gutter cleans to do which I can do in an afternoon and earn a good days pay.

Gutters are a real BONUS ;D

simon knight

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2007, 11:04:27 am »
I'm having one of those weeks where I'm mentally battling to go out and work, but losing!  Yesterday it was supposed to rain all day, so I looked forward to a day off, didn't go out, and it didn't rain til the afternoon.  Today, I was set to go out, but it's ridiculously windy and gusting quite violently.  I say to the wife when she moans that I can't clean windows if I'm hugging the ladder with both arms (trad only) but still think I'm being a lazy bum!  Do any trad cleaners stop because of the wind?

Chris

Sounds like your Mrs and my Mrs are related ;D.  I do work in the wind provided it's a steady wind and not coming in sharp gusts. Tend to work more with my extention pole...not as good a finish....ho hum!

KarlJones

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2007, 11:23:32 am »
To me it does not matter how well priced those gutters are.  65MPH gusts knocking about I think I would play it safe.

Forcast for tommorow says nothing about wind.

You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2007, 12:13:12 pm »
I've been asked to do a gutter job.
It would be ideal on a miserable day like this, I need the money.

Not worth chancing these winds though.

tonylee

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2007, 01:33:12 pm »

Chris
used to worry about the wind but now i'm wfp. it now drys the glass. would not go back to trad now after 6 months or wfp.
tony

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2007, 02:15:11 pm »
Grrrrr!!!!!

We just a nice bright spell and it looked like it had really cleared up.
Feeling guilty, I thought I'd better try and get something done.

3 or 4 windows into the first house it starts again, really nasty sideways rain.
I don't leave jobs half done, so I battled on.

Lady wasn't too pleased, but I offered my apologies and got away with it.

Result? Soaking wet now, and made £8. >:(

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2007, 02:18:22 pm »
Oh how im so glad i do wfp as well so i can do my 4 blocks of flats in the rain @ £300 per block should see me right by the weekend

Trevor Knight

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2007, 04:11:12 pm »

shall I say I told you so or shall I sit here smug knowing that people will pay if it rains. Nah, I won't say a word, glad you got paid though  ;) ;D ;) ;D ;) ;D ;) ;D

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2007, 07:07:27 pm »
Of course they pay Trevor we know that...we scrub and clean the dirt from the windows when its raining not clean the rain off huh???

macc

« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2007, 07:17:34 pm »
Grrrrr!!!!!

We just a nice bright spell and it looked like it had really cleared up.
Feeling guilty, I thought I'd better try and get something done.

3 or 4 windows into the first house it starts again, really nasty sideways rain.
I don't leave jobs half done, so I battled on.

Lady wasn't too pleased, but I offered my apologies and got away with it.

Squeaky.

I always leave mine soaking wet rain or sun,  ;D.

Dont get moaned at if its raining,  ;D.

Always get paid,  ;D.

Time to move over to the dark side mate,  ;).

Macc  :-*

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2007, 08:49:26 pm »
Squeaky.

I always leave mine soaking wet rain or sun,  ;D.

Dont get moaned at if its raining,  ;D.

Always get paid,  ;D.

Time to move over to the dark side mate,  ;).
That's down to the customers.

Your's wouldn't moan if I cleaned them.
Mine would moan if you cleaned them.

Makes no difference how they're done, it's up to the customer. ::)

rugby

« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2007, 08:59:32 pm »
i agree squeaky, tried taking the advise of others on this forum, "clean in the rain customers wont mind" but found most of them do mind,im wfp but that doesnt seem to make any differance,they dont want it done in the rain, end of.

seanmcshane

« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2007, 10:50:22 pm »
new phone line in, ladder stand off arrived, out at 12.30pm in reasonably dry and settled weather.
First job was a gutter clean to include the outsides with WFP. This is a £20 windows job every 4 weeks. A few days ago she balked at my £120 quote all in and to include the windows so we negotiated at £100.
Took me 3 hours but came up really well. She gave me the initial £120 and said I deserved it!
Off then to a 20 minute gutter clean at £40.00. Back home for 4.30pm.

2 more gutters in the morning at £20 and £40 and a 4 hour stint on an estate of leaded houses all done with WFP, rain or shine.

pjulk

« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2007, 11:31:27 am »
Im getting like squeeky.
It was raining when i got up this morning.
Just before 10 its stopped so off out i went.
Got halfway through the 1st house and it chucked it down.
Luckily no customer in so i finished the job back home by 10.20 and it stopped
Had a quick coffee

Jumped back in van got 50 yards up the road and down it came again.
And at the moment still raining its like a monsoon.
Still earn't £12  :(

Hopefully it will stop soon as i have loads of work to get done.

Paul

« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2007, 03:14:33 pm »
I try to avoid working in the rain, because I don't like getting wet; and if I don't need the money; why bother?

However, if I do need the money, I'll work in the rain and have met very little resistance.  In fact my customers are more sympathetic and I get more offers of hot drinks.

But all that aside, don't you think that during the Summer when it rains as a 'one off' it's better to give that day a miss, but during the Winter, especially given some of the prolonged spells of wet weather we've had, the customer has no cause to complain?

Okay, maybe some won't like it, but you do remove cobwebs (and they're still about), bird poo and the build up of grime.  Not only that, by accepting you cleaning in the rain, they're retaining a good window cleaner.

Other businesses work this way.  Have any of you had a childminder and then went on holiday with your kid(s).  You still pay for the childminder even though she's not looking after your kids.

It's called a retainer.

I'd say if you want to work in the rain, then work.  If a customer moans; drop 'em.

Majestic

« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2007, 04:35:45 pm »
How do you go on about paying your staff. At the moment I have been paying mine, but I have told him if this bad weather continues he wont be paid.

Trevor Knight

« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2007, 06:24:26 pm »
How do you go on about paying your staff. At the moment I have been paying mine, but I have told him if this bad weather continues he wont be paid.

Exactly the reason why we work in the rain!!!!

If you let him go then when the weather is better he may not be around or interested in coming back to work.

steveaqua

« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2007, 06:34:54 pm »
this the problem i'm having at the mo, i think I will start to work in the rain soon but i've just taken on a load of new customers and i don't want them to get ped about working in the rain, the more established ones are ok i would of thought

macc

« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2007, 09:55:02 pm »
Hi Steve.

I think your better of starting them off how you mean to carry on. I did with mine & it works.

Macc

AuRavelling79

« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2007, 10:36:44 pm »
Hi Steve.

I think your better of starting them off how you mean to carry on. I did with mine & it works.

Macc

Yup! Training is what's necessary

Have you noticed - the ones who are prepared to politely and firmly train their customers are the ones that make a financial success from this business?

Train 'em for wfp ... and to send their money ... and to have windows cleaned in the rain ... and anything else you want for your business.

Send them a letter explaining why - accept the few who won't and let them go ... and move onwards and upwards.
It's a game of three halves!

matt

« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2007, 11:39:00 pm »
mondays forecast is SUNNY

yipppeeeeeeeeeeeeee

ok i know its a fair way away, but it is, so we can hope

steveaqua

« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2007, 11:44:20 pm »
Hi Steve.

Macc
Maybe i'll give it a go, i just picked up a load of new customers tonight, i may send them a letter each explaining...If i lose a load of em on your head so be it Macc  ;) ;D

Trevor Knight

« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2007, 07:32:13 am »
Hi Steve.

Macc
Maybe i'll give it a go, i just picked up a load of new customers tonight, i may send them a letter each explaining...If i lose a load of em on your head so be it Macc  ;) ;D

Have a letter with your terms with you when you canvass, when you get a new customer leave them with the letter and explain it face to face. This avoids a customer reading it and thinking oh don't want this and ringing and cancelling.

Face to face is so much easier to explain your terms.

steveaqua

« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2007, 07:44:06 am »
Trevor, don't suppose you have a copy of your terms that you could share do you?

Thanks steve