steve k

What on earth..!!!
« on: February 04, 2006, 04:21:03 am »
how bad is this... :-X :o

M Walker

Re: What on earth..!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 07:36:18 am »
obviously idiots probably would not do them any harm if they fell on to their heads. You would think someone might report them working in an area like that. Nutters must be

stuart howes

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 07:53:42 am »
oooooooooooooooo god iam not that brave or dumb and what for £8 i bet :o  did you take this pic steve    o yes and whens the next lot of pics coming from your round  going to be on ::)

steve k

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 08:18:29 am »
the thing is...1 man  could easily do those windows off the ladder with the correct pitch and have the other 1 foot the ladder ???
How do they get back on their climb down ladders?? frightening :o

a quick search on the shop name below gives this location as:

3 St Peters Buildings
Gilmore Place
Edinburgh

dish

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 08:55:34 am »
That is the most incredible thing I've seen.  If I hadn't seen the pic I would never of believed it.

Nothing on earth would get me up there like that.

H h20

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 09:23:39 am »
 :o UNBELIEVABLE  :o,and those ladders are the cheap DIY ones,and no safety signs on the pavement either,Gaz(shocked)

Paul Coleman

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2006, 09:31:33 am »
how bad is this... :-X :o

You've got to be having a laugh.  Please tell me that you've been playing around with an image manipulation program and that it's not really happening.

sunshine windows

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2006, 09:43:55 am »
    You've got to be having a laugh.  Please tell me that you've been playing around with an image manipulation program and that it's not really happening.   

my thoughts exactly. surely that can't be a real image. i think they must have been cross bred with a chimp.
To climb mount fuji you must first find a path
(Swindon, Wiltshire)

www.sunshinewindowcleaning.co.uk
www.sunshinesoftwashing.co.uk

Sarah Sarill

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2006, 09:47:27 am »
And I dont blame the passers by for not walking under those ladders either !!!

Sarah
Sarah

brett walker

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2006, 02:43:44 pm »
I just cant believe it  >:(

Leaving his bucket there, when he falls he'll knock his water over.... idiots :o

I bet if you ask them what wfp means they would reply
We Fall Propery  :P

Its people like this that gives the industry a bad name

Brett

Spoonbill1970

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2006, 03:33:50 pm »
And what's that girl in the white top doing going out without a jacket?  Brrr. :o

When I was young and stupid...we used to clean these sort of windows by going out onto the ledge from the inside and walking round the bay. 2nd 3rd or even 4th floor. Makes me wonder how we never ever fell off.

I know there is a great debate about wfp v trad, but surely the HSE regs, however they are interpreted, are designed to end this sort of lunacy.

I wonder if they are self-employed or working for someone for the minimum wage as I once was?

Spoonbill

dai

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2006, 05:12:29 pm »
The crazy thing is, It would be so much easier to do the job safely if they positioned the ladders right to start with. The ladders should be longer with the top positioned half way up the window. What are they holding onto? I can't see any where for a decent handhold. And how are they going to reach the bottom panes? Scary, very scary. Dai

stuart howes

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2006, 05:31:18 pm »
 :o who took the pics?   the hse? :o

macc

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2006, 05:36:53 pm »
they must have b- - - - the size of footballs.  ;D

Ben Walker

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2006, 05:38:26 pm »
Yes i immidiately recognised that as a tenement, thought it was probably Glasgow, but yes Edinburgh
Quite a good example of tenement window cleaning!! Not usually two up there at once, it really does make you feel one of them should fall!
At on time this is how all of them where done i'm sure, though often accessed from the inside. you still see it fairly often.
I window clean in glasgow, and though not often i do stand on the ledge, holding onto the inside of the window frame. (not like the picture though, i access from inside) I must say, standing on a broad sill, holding firmly onto the frame, with weight centred, it feels suprisingly safe. Feels more secure than top of a ladder.
Though i have to stress, not like in the picture, they haven't got much to hold on to and the transition back to ladder is surely dodgy tstl.

The daft thing here is those windows look like they might be the renovated ones, the ones that swing round to let you clean from the inside!!   :o 

Dai, yes the bottom panes are the tricky ones i'm sure. The reason it is done like this as you can imagine is it is much quicker than up and down a ladder for each window. Esp when you get the multiple bays, 3,4,5,6 windows. very tempting when the ledge is broad. (i wouldn't say the one in the photo is particulary broad though!)

Interested to know where the picture came from, taken intentionally no doubt.

ben

Mike_G

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2006, 06:33:42 pm »
If it is in Scotland, what is the point of having to obtain a license to clean windows, I would have thought the whole idea is to stop this kind of thing happening.(Maybe the license thing does not work) If one of them was to fall and land on a passer by well it would probably cost them thousands if not a stretch at her majestys pleasure. Looking at the picture I wonder If they have climbed out on the ledge from inside and closed the windows down to do the bottom piece.

I expect we have all bent the rules from time to time (if not now maybe in the past) but to do it in the middle of town at a busy time is just asking for trouble. And one final point I assume the office/shop is occupied why on earth are they letting these guys (CALL THEM WORSE IF YOU LIKE ) clean there premises like that, because they would probably be as much to blame if an accident happened as the window cleaners!     

dave0123

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2006, 08:01:28 pm »
very silly,  i carnt belive that were the first left ladder is they have actully cleaned that window how it is positioned without being footed its to far out and they wont have anot articulated feet on 2 help either >:( the left ladder needs to be brought in and up more 2 lean onto the wall next to the window 2 be cleaned i would say anyway there is to much top for the ladder to b held there on to little plastic feet which are rubbish ??? ::)
Dave.

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2006, 08:29:15 pm »
Some of you have expressed suprise at the picture of myself and my mate cleaning windows.

I have to say in our defence, it was quite safe, (untill the atractive lady walked passed, I nearly lost my balance)
You see, we put chewing gum on our shoes, so it helps us stick to the ledge.
(A Hollywood insider gave us that tip from the "Spiderman" movie)

Sorry I will explain more later, going to see my mate in hospital, No he hasn't fallen, it's a routine lobotamy, company health care!!

Our company moto

"Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but STUPID lasts forever."

pjulk

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2006, 08:37:44 pm »
How can the chap on the left honestly think he is going to do a good job when he's eyeing up the girl in the white top.

Paul

pjulk

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2006, 08:39:12 pm »
Now looking at it again he might even be eyeing the bloke in the black top up.

You can never tell these days

Paul

bazzup

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2006, 09:55:54 am »
stunt windows r'us ;D

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2006, 10:58:07 am »
Pretty scary. :o

We used to get off the ladder onto ledges sometimes, but that's a bit narrow!

Don't suppose this was posted by a wfp user.... ::)

I'm sure I could find some disgraseful behaviour from them too. ;D
Old ladies slipping in the wet, pole near power lines, hose across pavements...etc.
I think you know what I'm talking about.

They're only risking themselves on the ledges. ;)

The Fox

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2006, 02:33:34 pm »
They're only risking themselves on the ledges. Wink

What happens if they land on someone?

Michael D

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2006, 02:47:51 pm »
Hi All,
         What silly fools they are. Not only is the ledge to small to stand on, But if they fell it would be the people below who would be hurt also. do they have insurance,
it`s operaters like that , that give window cleaners a bad name, WHAT CAN BE DONE TO IMPROVE THE IMAGE OF WINDOW CLEANERS when we have fools like that around.

Michael D

brett walker

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2006, 03:58:15 pm »
These guys in this picture risking life and limb, it would be a good idea if someone from this forum got onto the building that they were cleaning and pointed the risks out.

Tell them its been a great discussion on clean it up and if the idiots in the picture would like to come on and explain how theyve got 9 lives.

Also tell the owners of the building that if at any time they need your services you have a safer mehtord of cleaning the windows its called a wfp and it involves no-one getting killed

Brett

brett walker

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2006, 04:01:02 pm »
When i mean get onto the building i dont mean go up there and try and talk to them. ;D ;D

Speak to the owners ;)

brett

Paul Coleman

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2006, 04:04:42 pm »
The only possible saving grace in this is that the upper halves of the sashes may have two handles on them to hold on to.  Even so, you wouldn't have got me working like that even when I was younger and totally lacked experience.

gaza

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2006, 06:59:07 pm »
In a previous life they may have been wing walkers,  or called gabrielle cleaners

gaza

IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

williamx

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2006, 07:13:25 pm »

Don't suppose this was posted by a wfp user.... ::)

Does it matter who posted it

They're only risking themselves on the ledges. ;)

I hope you will be so forgiving if someone like that fell off and landed on your mother - Gran or child.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2006, 07:22:46 pm »
I think realistically there's a lot more chance of my daughter slipping on a wet shop doorway or tripping over a hosepipe.

I won't be forgiving then, as the job could be done in a safer way.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2006, 07:40:44 pm »
Squeeks

A door way can be wet at any time.

No one slips on water just because the window cleaner left it and not a cloud.

We are talking about the picture not the use of ladders.

Just grow up will you.

gaza

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2006, 08:18:37 pm »
I WOULD LIKE TO SAY I AGREE WITH SSQUEKKY ON THE MATTERS OF SAFETY HE HAS RAISED ON THIS SUBJECT. It doesnt matter how many signs you put out people will still walk over your hoses even walk into a shop just as your cleaning the doors,
I said I would like to agree but I CARNT

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

GAZA
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

Morph

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2006, 08:28:40 pm »
What bugs me is that guy down below has moved their ladders and nicked their safety net.
There's no water in their bucket.
They don't have a mop or squeegee between them.
Lazy tikes.  I think the real window cleaners are inside.  These guys are hiding outside till the others have gone!

Who took the photo?
Is it staged?
Why is no-one looking at them?
Whenever I've done stunts in the past I've always had an audience.

marc al

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2006, 08:48:14 pm »
  Took me 10 minutes to spot that you lot were looking at 2 blokes, I've had my attention on the bird in the white top.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2006, 09:35:14 pm »
I've done things equally as dumb and stupid in the past, and from a much greater height too.
As Squeaks will testify, one lad who worked for me would clean the 2nd floor windows on a high office, and then climb off the ladder halfway down to clean the first floor widows.
On one occasion, while he was off the ladder a gust of wind took it, it was extended to about 35 or so feet at the time...........
It crashed across the complete width of the road, falling just in front of a moving car :o
Fortunately no one was hurt and nothing was damaged apart from the ladder. :-\

In a town called Monmouth, 15 miles from me, we cleaned the windows of a place called 'The Beaufort Arms Court Hotel...at least it was once apon a time.
I name it in case any of those local know the building I am talking about.
It's now been converted into smart flats.
We had to hire a ladder for this one, this ladder took 2 people to operate..it was a bigun'!
The front of the building, overlooked a cobbled area and a couple of pubs where in the summer the drinkers would sit outside supping their cider :P
So to look cool and impress the watching babes 8) the ladder would be extended about 35ft or so, maybe a little higher, and one of us would climb off it at the top and walk along a very narrow ledge cleaning the top 4 or 5 windows.
Yeah, I know, really dumb, but we thought it cool.
Around the other side it was higher still, on the highest window we would send newbies up there to clean the topmost windows.
On this side there were a couple of cafe's and cake shops with tables out on the cobbles.
On one occasion we had sent 'Lance' up to do the top window.......who froze 3/4 of the way up the ladder and was screaming in panic :o
A courtyard full of people watched on, sipping their coffee's and enjoying the show.
I duly climbed up the ladder behind Lance and talked him down...one step at a time :-[

Can any of you imagine doing anything so stupid in todays climate??

Had one guy fall off the ladder in that same section too!!
I was sat in the van having a quick coffee when my son, who was along with me for the day, ran up and said there'd been an accident! :o
On running around I saw that to the one side a lad had slipped. The ladder was on top of a balcony, this place has an ancient vine growing on the side of it....Virginia creeper! (just remembered the name in time :P)
It was Autumn and the creeper was shedding seeds all over the place, these seeds acted like ball bearings and the lad had not ensured his footing was safe, ergo he was at the top of the ladder when the bottom shot out, aided by the fallen seeds.
The ladder went so far and stuck in the bottom of the railings around the balcony, the top of the ladder went crashing through one of the windows, Jon (the lad in question) fell through one of the rungs of the ladder (ok, not all of him! Just one of his legs :-\)

By the time I had got there Lance had shinnied up the drain pipe (why he didn't use his ladder I still don't know) and was stood on the balcony scratching his head as Jon screamed out in agony, telling him not to touch his leg :'(
Foregoing the drainpipe I used the ladder to climb up to check on Jon.
Just as before an interested audience looked on, little fingers crooked as they sipped their tea ::)
Jon was shouting, 'Don't touch my leg! Don't touch my leg!
With the ladder positioned just so I was above Jon, I braced myself as Jon put his arms around my neck and started to extricate himself...at which point Lance decided to help by grabbing his leg and shoving it upwards!
Jon has a fine pair of lungs and proceded to further entertain the crowd as he told Lance, clearly and succinctly, exactly what he was going to do to him.
Lance said his leg looked alright to him :(
It didn't, it looked a mess!
A firemans lift saw Jon deposited safely on the ground.

I got the hero's pat on the back ;D ;D
And murmerings of how strong I was could be heard ;D ;D
All of which peed Jon off no end as it was him that had pulled himself out of the ladder and onto my shoulders.
A trip to the hospital showed no bones broken, just lacerations and severe grazing and bruising.
I reckon I should have posted public notices every time we cleaned that place, it was always full of incident!
But had that accident happened today the brown stuff would've hit the fan, I shudder to think of the trouble I'd be in :-\

Ignore Health and safety at your peril, it just isn't worth it.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

rosskesava

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2006, 10:28:05 pm »
I'm glad you posted that. I didn't want to post the daft things we've done in the past.

When we started almost 5 years ago and I got my 'ladder and height' legs, I thought it was what window cleaners did - being stupid and walking along ledges and casually clean the window whilst those in the office watched both in awe and horror.

One place, on the 5rd floor, I would get out the window, get a secretary to close it, and then do the 8 or 10 windows by stepping around bit in between the windows and climb in the last window, get the receipt book out and write the receipt. All very macho stuff or so I thought at the time.

Then there was some bay windows we did above a shop. The flat bit above the sign over the shop was about  3 foot wide and we'd lift up and put a 2 extention ladder on it to do the 2nd floor windows. The angle was so acute that I'd hold the ladder (pulling it against the wall) whilst the lightest would go up it. Very hair raising stuff.

And there's a few other stupid things we did.

Now though - not a chance in hell.

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2006, 05:22:04 pm »
I remember just starting out window cleaning and seeing 'our' Ian_Giles stood on the window sill of a third floor building in town.

I remember thinking, 'Crikey, I'm not sure I would do that', (or words to that effect).

Obviously he does them all WFP and I always check his work as I pass them; as you do out of interest; (they're in our town centre) and they always look gleaming.

Changing this job from ladders to WFP must have transformed from an extremely physical and dangerous account into a 'class' one.

I bet we've all done dangerous stuff in our time.

I still regularly see window cleaners using 'B & Q ladders', and it's a common sight to see them with no feet; just bent aluminum where the friction stoppers should be.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2006, 06:33:56 pm »

I still regularly see window cleaners using 'B & Q ladders', and it's a common sight to see them with no feet; just bent aluminum where the friction stoppers should be.

That'll be me then. :-[

I bought some new rubber feet, and then lost them before I got around to fitting them.
Trouble is, it's about 70 miles round trip to get some more,(for £3). :(

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2006, 06:45:17 pm »

That'll be me then. :-[

I bought some new rubber feet, and then lost them before I got around to fitting them.
Trouble is, it's about 70 miles round trip to get some more,(for £3). :(

I was referring to SG actually!  I took the mick out of him so much last year, he bought a new set of ladders; along with with me.

Chase Ladders in Newport sell feet for around £5.00 per pair or you can order them from tinternet too!

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2006, 06:50:17 pm »
Cheers Tosh, I'll look that up.

They're not B&Q ladders, they're top quality, but feet wore out.

Trouble is, I think they've worn past the screws that hold the feet in, so I'll probably have to do some drilling....  ::)

colinyates

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2006, 07:10:48 pm »
I bet there strapped together with a belt that goes on the inside of that colum.

PLONKERS

batterbee

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2006, 07:11:56 pm »
Hi squeaky

I get all my window cleaning supplies from www.soapnational.co.ukhttp:// and they have a big range of replacement feet for ladders, go on treat yourself!

john
JB CLEANING SERVICES, NORWICH, NORFOLK.

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2006, 07:33:59 pm »
I bet there strapped together with a belt that goes on the inside of that colum.

I'm not sure I understand this 'dig'.

Are you saying that some window cleaners, who've broken the 'hooks' on their ladders, stap them together with a belt, so they stay apart?

I once borrowed a set of ladders; big doubles; to get at some third-story windows.  The window cleaner forgot to tell me that he'd taken the 'tips' off the 'hooks' in an accident when he dropped the upper section which collapsed, slicing off most of the 'hook'. 

So when I used them even though the hooks weren't 'hooks'!  They were 'short-flats'.

I was still daft enough to use them though.

Only once.

steve k

« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2006, 08:39:19 pm »
it was happening in 1952 as well...this case has become a test case and is used today to prove similar cases...employers take heed.

http://law.web-tomorrow.com/twiki/bin/view/Main/GeneralCleaningContractorsVChristmas1952