Dynafoam

Re: English or Belgian Wilton
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2004, 12:46:29 am »
Michel,

As I understand it, a large part of the problem with the BW is that two backing sheets are pulled through the loom under high tension. These are then stitched (almost) together and then parted into "A" and "B" rolls by a shearing blade.

It is these same rollers that  are the motive force through the entire process, so the tension is maintained within the roll.

When a section of carpet is removed from the roll to be fitted, this tension starts to gradually relax (because it is more loosely rolled) causing the length of the section cut off to start reducing. When the carpet is laid out by the carpet fitter, without the friction within a roll, the relaxation accelerates.

Thus, even without the additional influence of atmospheric changes, if it was left laid out in the room for a couple of days without restraint, it would reduce much further in length. These is the reasons that it is recommended that it be acclimatised in the room prior to fitting and then not tension-fitted.

Even after several years in a room, if removed from the grippers, (e.g. for decorating) for a week or so, it can be imposible to stretch back.

Derek

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2004, 06:31:31 am »
John

The method you describe has confused me somewhat...not a difficult thing to do these days.

The 'A' and 'B' sheets you mentioned would indicate to my fuddled brain a face to face carpet which I have always associated with tufted carpets.

Perhaps you would be kind enough to either put me right or to please my nearest and dearest...have me put down  ;D

Derek

woodman

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2004, 08:35:07 am »
OH no Derek not again ;D

You ever get the feeling of deja vu.

BW are made on face to face looms.

Dave;

I agree no un-trained operator should ever be let loose on a BW but they would have to be brainless to shrink one using DF or Texatherm as it would almost impossible to over wet with one of these systems.

Dynafoam

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2004, 03:48:31 pm »
Thanks Trevor,

When Little Brother questions something I can almost feel egg on my face  :D

(Incidentally that deja vu stuff goes down really well with a bit of ripe Camembert)

Monge tout, my friend, monge tout  :D ;D

Derek

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2004, 07:34:23 pm »
Hi Guys

I must make my New Years Resolution for 2005 to see a BW carpet being made

As Victor would say..."I don't believe it"  ;)  ;D

How about organising a day out folks for next year  to a BW factory.... would they invite us I ask myself???

Derek

Len Gribble

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2004, 08:02:58 pm »
John

Are you saying you frequent that place in Swanley called déjà vu

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2004, 08:47:20 pm »
deja vu been there twice, didn't like it the first time ;D

Shaun

Dave_Lee

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2004, 09:29:32 pm »
Michael,
Tell us more.
Len,
The only BW I have fitted was during an 8 year period which finished about 10 years ago, when I accidently got roped into doing a day or two, a week, fitting for Carpet Right. Lots of what I would deem not standard procedure would happen. As for the BWs, I just used to fit them the same as I would any other woven, you couldnt tension them up anyway. I never got any call backs, and as for today - I just wouldnt fit one. Its usually the lower end market that purcheses them and hey would be unlikely to pay my charges as I dont fit cheap.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2004, 10:54:48 pm »
Dave doesn't fit carpet into corners just incase he has to clean into them (specially stairs)

Merry Xmas Dave

Shaun

Michel Roberts

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2004, 12:22:47 pm »
Dave

Got a call last week "can you come and have a look at my carpet I think It might need a little stretch"

When I got there customer takes me downstairs into the basement to view said carpet.

As I have already said 2 1/2 -3" uniformaly shrunk all down the lengh.
A washing machine in the room above had broken and flooded the room below a couple of weeks ago.

Concreate floor!

The same cloth was fitted throughout the whole house so It was worth spending money on.

The first thing I did was to Get the custi to turn the Heating on full Blast.
Then I went To HSS and hired A space heater and put that in full blast

Then I fitted two Lots of architecerial(spelling) carpet gripper to both ends of the room. Fixed using aluminium drive nails and stickatack blue glue.

Then I went home and got my power stretcher an extra head and my deadman that I allready had and knocked up a tempaory second deadman.

Then I went and Got my best mate Colin (lucky he was around)
If you hav,nt got a mate called colin, a mate with a different name will do!

When working with a double headed power stretcher its alot easyier with two people

When we got back to site the room was like an oven.

Lovely!

Son now hasseling me to go and play football
will carry on later.

Michel

Derek

« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2004, 02:01:37 pm »
Trevor

I have to apologise to you ...I have today spoke to a couple of my 'sources' who confirmed that BW are in fact made face-to-face as you correctly said ..

I have learnt something new today  GREAT!

The next thing is to try to arrange to go and see the things made... that will be most interesting. There are so many questions still buzzing around in my head

Regards
Derek

woodman

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2004, 05:06:25 pm »

apology not necessary Derek (just a glass of the finest John Smiths next time we meet up ;D)we are always learning something new in this game and I intend to carry that on in a major way in the new year ;)