Re: banning jasonb, right or wrong?
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2004, 12:18:47 am »
Maybe a facility to block answers from a person, as on msn, would be the way to go.
Anyone who wanted to ignore a certain individual could do so in one swift move.
Lets hope admin have the power.

Dynafoam

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2004, 12:41:48 am »
Chris,

This would be a usefull, but as far as I know, the software does not have this facility.

However if the insults could be blanked out by individual members, they would still exist.

John.

Jasonc

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2004, 12:48:20 am »
Chris,

This would be a usefull, but as far as I know, the software does not have this facility.

However if the insults could be blanked out by individual members, they would still exist.

John.

Apparently JasonB called someone a "plantpot." I am sure that we need a lengthy discussion about forum techicalities and politics to make sure that this heinous crime does not happen again. The plantpot.

Dynafoam

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2004, 12:48:40 am »
Chris

I am sorry but I have to totally disagree with you and others who are prepared to tolerate this diatribe... one rotten apple will eventually spoil the whole barrel.

I would have to consider whether I personally wanted to participate in this or any other forum if it continued.... you may say 'good' ...I can live with that... I have my values

Derek

Derek,

You are not alone in having values and I would like to go on record that I wholeheartedly support your comments.

For members to dissagree  is one thing but when one member persistantly insults other members, that is an entirely different matter.

John.

Jasonc

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2004, 12:49:57 am »

Derek,

You are not alone in having values and I would like to go on record that I wholeheartedly support your comments.

For members to dissagree  is one thing but when one member persistantly insults other members, that is an entirely different matter.

John.

He didn't insult you, he just said you didn't know what you were talking about. You must get that everyday surely?

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2004, 01:00:06 am »
Seem these last few posts came around the time i was asked by PM, to cease a subject on another forum.
If anyone saw the thread by mistake and was offended then i APOLOGISE. :-[
Paintball is such a political hot potato ::)
I wonder who i have annoyed this time?
chriss

Dynafoam

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2004, 01:23:30 am »
Chris,

There was nothing in the thread that was in any was offensive, and you have no need to apologise to anyone.

Nor were you asked by any moderator to stop the thread was this another member?

John.

Harry

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2004, 02:31:59 am »
Derek, "a mere moderator", perhaps but a difficult and thankless job. I don't envy you.
However, one more point on your contention:

"one rotten apple will eventually spoil the whole barrel."

I also don't buy this. I would give virtually all carpet cleaners, who are, after all businessmen and the ones who frequent Forums, in particular, much more credit.

I believe that Forums like this can do a world of good by taking on every issue, head on.  But now by banning jaasonb, the members are now no longer debating Industry issues but are instead discussing nuances of word meanings and what constitutes an insult, what is fair or acceptable and what is not, what determines if a man has "values" or not.  
Which is the greater insult, to be called a "plantpot", (a word I'm unfamiliar with as an insult) or to be called a person "without values" for defending freedom of expression. This is just an example, I have the greatest of respect for both the Boltons, and do not in any way feel insulted.  I do believe that the best way to deal with an ignorant, cheeky, pompous, wrong or unwise poster, is to give him enough rope and he'll surely hang himself.  "You can't fool all of the people all of the time."  I've seen it so many times before, give the crowd more credit.

ps, Some US Forums have "banned words" that when used on a post cause that post not to appear on the Board.
Leatherwright Seminars

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2004, 02:38:33 am »
I heard about a cleaning forum that was set up and is not moderated

Why dont these people go to that site and have there fun?

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2004, 03:03:15 am »
Maybe Im dumb but i come on to these forums everyday.

Some of you appear to know what is really going on the rest of us have to guess,

Personaly i find them very helpful and I think it is sad when egos get in the way.

I am a tolerant man and did vote that Jason should not have been banned.

However there was one particuliar thread that in my opininion justified a possible ban for a period of time.

However I respect the decisions of those that own the site and the moderator as they have to do the hard work.

And Yes standards did fall but I did learn from Jason

Fox

« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2004, 04:35:44 am »
FGS (for God's sake) lighten up you lot!  

Yes for many Jasonb's post may have pressed the wrong buttons but come on so do many others throughout the forum.

As for him lowering the tone of professionalism within this sector don't you think anyone outside of cc would read his comments as we do?  People aren't as naive as you think they are.  If they have been following the forum for professional reasons they will know that JB is not the norm.

Let JB voice what he wants (makes good entertainment and as already said keeps hits & posts to good levels) isn't it his sort of posting that makes a good argument about how to 'do it properly'?  

Wind up or not - lessons learnt, at the end of the day we don't have to agree (which, with his methods, I for one don't).

Fox

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2004, 10:56:07 am »
JB,
If my thread contained nothing remotely offensive...... why was i sent a PM telling me that a watch would be in place and it may be pulled/stopped.
On this forum people are allowed to continue for quite some time before they are pulled. I am told that my thread is distracting..........THE IDEA OF IT :o
"It must not become a score sheet"........... ONE other person added his score ::). Talk about give me an EARLY warning. another forum should go into the radar business with efficiency like that.
I have removed the 'offending' posts of mine, along with myself from the forum.
I will frequent a forum where such narrow minded rules are not enforced on the whim of one person when it suits.
AT LEAST jasonb KNOWS WHY HE WAS PULLED UP.

The Great One

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2004, 12:14:30 pm »
Hi Guys

Banning jasonb because he has different opinions than the rest of us is in my opinion an abuse of power.

So he is different, big deal.
So he speaks up, big deal

Way off the scope here, or maybe because he was popular....hmmm

Regards

Martin 8)

Mike Halliday

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2004, 01:58:01 pm »
How about everyone who posts has to regester with their full name, company name, address & telephone number.

do you think we'd get some many insulting, sarcy posts if we new everyones full details

its easy to be a git if your anonomous ;)

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Mike Halliday

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2004, 02:13:07 pm »
thought of some thing else :D :D

the best way to combat unwanted post is to lose them in a sea of good, interesting posts. if all we have to read is jasons rantings then we can't  moan.

everyone should post at least 2 topics a day each!!

Mike

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2004, 02:15:37 pm »
Now THAT is a good idea.  ;D

Mike Halliday

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2004, 02:22:19 pm »
Go on then Chris you can start, Whats your 2 post for today going to be about? ;D

Mike

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2004, 02:23:40 pm »
First was Paintball (DISTRACTING) thread and second is in the making :-/

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2004, 02:28:17 pm »
Second one is now completed  ;D

Jim_Lynch

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2004, 04:06:11 pm »
From another outsider's perspective...

I have to agree with Harry, Chris and others that banning someone simply because you disagree with their views is narrow minded censorship.

Harry is correct that several US boards in the past have either died or become moribund because of narrow "carpet cleaning only" restrictions. Look at Cleanfax, which used to be the most active board about six years ago, but because any post going the least bit outside of carpet cleaning technical matters was deleted, that board all but died. It is only in recent times under the leadership of Jeff Cross that it has livened up a bit.
Even here, I posted last year about the Rugby World Cup which I thought was topical...was deleted as it was not related to carpet cleaning. Thank goodness that admin has relented a bit...
I think it was Mari...oops Ken W. that pointed out very wisely that these forums are not about carpet cleaning, but carpet cleaners...that is, not just the technical things that we do day in day out, but our lives in total...what interests us as a group of people . That is, all the things that we do...not just cleaning carpets.
So, when we thrash you in the next Test cricket series, as expected, why can't I come here and gloat without being censored  ;D
But, let's forget the Rugby...although we did beat you down here last month .. :(
Jason was just stirring...and I'm sure was a regular poster just winding you up...these guys are everywhere...(are you reading Terry  ;))...don't throw the baby out with the bathwater...just roll with the punches...

And....the most important thing.....get a sense of humour...life is too short....realise when the p is being taken :P

Len, I am not "American, brash and bold with their intelligence"...neither is Harry...

Jim
Jim Lynch
ChemDry Supreme
Brisbane,Queensland
AUSTRALIA