reflection

Re: It's frozen
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2022, 07:59:55 pm »
All my hoses and pipe work froze on friday from the exit of the pumps onwards, strange because i think it only went to -3 on friday and last year it went to -4 or 5 and i didnt have a single issue.

So i wasnt really prepared for it freezing this year - again strange as only one van froze the other no issues at all and both parked beside each other.

Iv just spent the weekend striping all my van out and insulating
Took all ply off filled every gap i could with insulation then lined everything with loft insulation including the roof put the ply back on then lined this with the silver foil insulation and covered all pipes with foam insulation.

Im going to order one of the 5kw chinese deisel heaters but it will be good to see in the morning how the insulation has done on its own as its to go to -6 tonight

I think for the price of the heaters you cant go wrong they are around £150/£200

and iv already spent £180 0n insulation this weekend

davids3511

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2022, 08:01:25 pm »
My thoughts exactly. Imo at temps of -3 or less, it’s the leaving puddles of ice that’s the problem and having hot doesn’t solve that problem.

You could fit an immersion.....hot water is much nicer to work with in the winter months even if its above freezing during the day.

Does an immersion stop the water freezing on the ground when it’s -4 or less?

Surely this is the most important thing, I can't think of many houses on my round that wouldn't become a big slip risk if I went ahead and washed the windows. I just don't see it's worth the risk. It'll be over in a week or so.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2022, 08:03:15 pm »
Insulation will only work if the (higher) temperature inside it is kept high enough.

So if your van interior is hovering around zero you should put (say) an oil filled radiator inside.
It's a game of three halves!

Frankybadboy

« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2022, 08:12:44 pm »
been so nice to hear the frost stat kick in on the heater all weekend when park on the drive

all ready to go in morning no issues

AuRavelling79

« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2022, 08:13:24 pm »
My thoughts exactly. Imo at temps of -3 or less, it’s the leaving puddles of ice that’s the problem and having hot doesn’t solve that problem.

You could fit an immersion.....hot water is much nicer to work with in the winter months even if its above freezing during the day.

Surely this is the most important thing, I can't think of many houses on my round that wouldn't become a big slip risk if I went ahead and washed the windows. I just don't see it's worth the risk. It'll be over in a week or so.

I have an immersion fitted.

If I feel the need to work I would choose which windows to wash wfp. The front door I might trad clean and then I will use a broom and ice melt on any wet paths.

Obviously if I get below about -2 and if water is freezing on windows I am likely to be less inclined to clean at all.

A lot of my work is in surrounding villages to Bristol. Some is very close to the Severn estuary and some is in Bristol.

It can be minus 3 in the higher outlying villages, minus 1 by the Severn and zero in town. So I work differently depending on where my work is. The colder it is the more I start late/finish early, do trad. on some glass, use ice melt etc. Or not at all.
It's a game of three halves!

Frankybadboy

« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2022, 08:15:26 pm »

I have an immersion fitted.

If I feel the need to work I would choose which windows to wash wfp. The front door I might trad clean and then I will use a broom and ice melt on any wet paths.

Obviously if I get below about -2 and if water is freezing on windows I am likely to be less inclined to clean at all.

A lot of my work is in surrounding villages to Bristol. Some is very close to the Severn estuary and some is in Bristol.

It can be minus 3 in the higher outlying villages, minus 1 by the Severn and zero in town. So I work differently depending on where my work is. The colder it is the more I start late/finish early, do trad. on some glass, use ice melt etc. Or not at all.
wimp get out and work you lazy sod

G Griffin

« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2022, 08:22:46 pm »

I agree.
That and driving on side roads. We've got a plasterer coming round tomorrow and I might trad my bungalows after he gets here.
But then I might not. I'll see who's on Loose Women first.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

dazmond

« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2022, 06:40:57 am »

No idea I've never used an immersion heater but my diesel heater means I have soft,warm,supple hoses and I can thaw out ice on glass,sills and frames.

Any water that lands on the ground can easily be swept away if needed and gritted.if it does freeze then you can thaw it out with more hot water and sweep it away quickly....

This very rarely happens though.if the ground is already icy then it doesn't matter.front doors are generally just scrimmed in this weather(most customers have wreaths up now anyway)and a lot of water ends up on grass and areas where the customers don't walk very often....

I always have ice melt grit in the van in weather like this...👍
price higher/work harder!

Stoots

« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2022, 08:10:27 am »
Might not be going anywhere today all my pipes into van are frozen solid. Think the heater needs to be on longer  :)

DJW

« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2022, 08:29:55 am »
Estate roads look like this:
Another day by the fire I feel.

Slacky

« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2022, 08:30:52 am »
Wow! Down south too.

Granny

« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2022, 08:37:04 am »
Might not be going anywhere today all my pipes into van are frozen solid. Think the heater needs to be on longer  :)
I make a tent over the pump DI vessel and reels using a quilt and a couple of blankets to contain the heat where it's needed.
I'm currently using a 120W tube heater in there and it's about 5 degrees that's enough to stop it freezing.

Stoots

« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2022, 08:59:39 am »
I make a tent over the pump DI vessel and reels using a quilt and a couple of blankets to contain the heat where it's needed.
I'm currently using a 120W tube heater in there and it's about 5 degrees that's enough to stop it freezing.

I think it must have been frozen solid over the weekend and the heater hasn't been on long enough to thaw it. Heaters been on since 6 and still solid. Nevermind I didn't fancy it today anyway really good excuse.

G Griffin

« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2022, 09:04:49 am »

No idea I've ever used an immersion heater but my diesel heater means I have soft,warm,supple hoses and I can thaw out ice on glass,sills and frames.

Any water that lands on the ground can easily be swept away if needed and gritted.if it does freeze then you can thaw it out with more hot water and sweep it away quickly....

This very rarely happens though.if the ground is already icy then it doesn't matter.front doors are generally just scrimmed in this weather(most customers have wreaths up now anyway)and a lot of water ends up on grass and areas where the customers don't walk very often....

I always have ice melt grit in the van in weather like this...👍
It does matter if there is ice on the ground. Unless you are clearing paths as you go.
This is more than a bit of cold weather and windows are not that important to me or my customers when it's like this.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

dazmond

« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2022, 09:13:28 am »
Work.
Don't work.

Entirely up to each window cleaner to make the decision.ill be working 10am-3pm today.

I've just started with a cold over the last few days,sore throat,etc.

The worst thing when I've got a cold is to stay inside.a few hours in the fresh air will do me good.i might skip the gym  tonight though(or a reduced workout than normal)

Have a good day chaps!🙂
price higher/work harder!

deeege

« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2022, 09:22:42 am »
I’ll be heading out at 10am or when the temp reaches -2°, currently -4°.  Side roads, paths and driveways are still completely iced over so it’s going to be a battle, but I’d rather try than not.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

Splash & dash

« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2022, 10:04:55 am »
I think when there is ice on the ground you make yourself look desperate for  a few quid it’s not life threatening to have  dirty Windows but could cause customers to slip over in the  ice left behind by us , also most on hear are earning £500 per day so can easily afford to take a few days off 😂😂😂 this weather shows who are telling the truth with earnings and those that are working hand to mouth and make themselves look desperate,if someone turned up at my house spraying water around in this weather they would be told in no uncertain terms ware to go .  Some claim to have large sums of money in the bank but are still determined to go out out in this why ?….. ,from the customers point of view I think many wouldn’t appreciate us leaving water / ice behind , also from a RAMS  point of view I would love to see the risk assessment as to the prevention of slips ,trips  and falls , if anyone had a fall after we had been we would be held liable , not worth the risk for  hundred quid a day .

NWH

« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2022, 10:33:29 am »
⬆️ yeah lol I can’t believe people are even bothering in the South East we have 6-8” of snow the last thing on my mind is work.

andycap

« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2022, 10:39:05 am »
Just walked the dog out,and fellow windy out tradding...😳off ladders😳😳

Stoots

« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2022, 10:42:12 am »
Don't think how much you have in the bank has any bearing on whether you work or not. I know people much richer than me who work 80 hours a week because they are addicted to making money and working.. If you choose not to because you don't want to be cold or have or cause an accident that's fair enough. Others may have a motivation to work for various reasons. Personally I want to keep up to my schedule as best i can, I don't like to be defeated and id rather have a day off of my choosing. It's also Christmas in 2 weeks I want to work hard and enjoy a break.

Having said all that I've defrosted my van and one of my pumps is leaking ive had enough and I'm sacking it off.  ;D