֍Winp®oClean֍

Dazmond....
« on: December 07, 2017, 06:52:53 pm »
Come on man, I've got tea on hold, tv progs set to record, turned the phone off etc..... ;D
Comfortably Numb!

dazmond

Re: Dazmond....
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 06:56:05 pm »
the ruddy heater doesnt work mate!hopefully itll all get sorted tomorrow morning.
price higher/work harder!

Jonny 87

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 06:57:05 pm »
No way!

Did it not get demonstrated while you were there and all up and running? That’s disappointing!
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

dazmond

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 07:01:25 pm »
No way!

Did it not get demonstrated while you were there and all up and running? That’s disappointing!

yep but i just couldnt get it to work for longer than 5 mins when plugged into my pole today(the burner kept cutting out and fault codes 1 or 2 flashed up)its getting sorted tomorrow hopefully jonny.

Dry Clean

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 07:07:33 pm »
Cut your loses, will give £200 cash no questions asked.

Jonny 87

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 07:09:14 pm »
No way!

yep but i just couldnt get it to work for longer than 5 mins when plugged into my pole today(the burner kept cutting out and fault codes 1 or 2 flashed up)its getting sorted tomorrow hopefully jonny.

Just a teething problem!

Happens with everything that has a bit of technology to it. You can drive a brand new bmw worth 50k off the forecourt and have to take it back for a little niggle. Then it could run flawless for 10 years.

Same principle mate. It’ll get sorted.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

nathankaye

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 07:15:45 pm »
Just bung in a 3kw Immersion, plug in during night. No faff next day nor stress n away you merrily go  ;D ;D

Feel for you though, hope it gets sorted
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 08:22:08 pm »
Just teething problems Dazmond, they sell lots of these things so I'm sure it will just be a minor niggle.👍
Comfortably Numb!

lal

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 10:02:10 pm »

It must be very soul destroying first day and this happens dazmond, just look at it as a minor setback, the Grippa engineer
  will have you up and running tomorrow, and you won't look back, its probably something  trivial, all the best mate.

Lal

Spruce

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 10:35:25 pm »
How much fuel have you in your tank?
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

andyM

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 06:04:15 am »
the ruddy heater doesnt work mate!hopefully itll all get sorted tomorrow morning.

You didn't put unleaded in it......did you Daz?
One of the Plebs

dazmond

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 07:50:10 am »
How much fuel have you in your tank?

full tank and full charge on batteries spruce

NWH

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 10:29:02 am »
Could be something as simple as a loose plug there’s 3 that go into the top of the heater unit,it could take 2 hours to sort or 30 seconds.

NWH

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2017, 10:31:01 am »
A loose plug will give the same symptoms works for 5 minutes and switches off if it’s not solid on top of the right hand side of the heater where they plug in I’ve had the same problem,took it off re seated it and away it went.

NWH

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2017, 11:27:52 am »
Try to familiarise how it works in conjunction with the system it will save you headache after headache,read the manuals and like I say get an idea of what wires etc work together and with what. I’ve had the simplest things stop it working over the years and without having read what goes where and troubleshooting trial and error of the years I’d have been stuffed.

andyM

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2017, 02:29:39 pm »
Stick some Redex in it!
One of the Plebs

dazmond

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2017, 04:01:41 pm »
fuel issue.grippa are picking my van up next thursday.the heater works fine when the engines running but as soon as i stop the van and start working within 5 mins the heater is starved of diesel and stops working.something to do with the fuel pump/diesel tank/ pick up pipe.just needs a new part fitting and a different place to go in the diesel tank methinks.

i worked with hot all day today but with the engine running and doors locked.(heater was running for a solid 4 hours plus)

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2017, 04:08:06 pm »
Glad to hear it's getting sorted, I hear good things about Grippa.👍
Comfortably Numb!

p1w1

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2017, 04:10:27 pm »
fuel issue.grippa are picking my van up next thursday.the heater works fine when the engines running but as soon as i stop the van and start working within 5 mins the heater is starved of diesel and stops working.something to do with the fuel pump/diesel tank/ pick up pipe.just needs a new part fitting and a different place to go in the diesel tank methinks.

i worked with hot all day today but with the engine running and doors locked.(heater was running for a solid 4 hours plus)
are they leaving you a van so you can work still? What temp did it get up too

dazmond

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2017, 04:18:47 pm »
yep mate.theyll drive up to me and leave me a van and system to keep me working while they sort it.they ve been great to deal with.good customer service.

no idea what temperature but warm to the touch and quite hot when reel virtually fully wound in(it was very cold today).the reel hose was nice and warm.i forgot how great it is to have supple manageable hoses! :)

Tristan R Clean

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2017, 04:43:46 pm »
 I was going to go down the diesel heater route - but the expense :o
I am going to buy one of the gasstop safety valves for £40 for my gas heater.
£100 for my fastar gas boiler ,a few fittings and gas bottle job done.

i like lots of others liked the idea of cheaper option of gas but the safety issues were a concern.
I have my boiler mounted on a trolley so can take in and out of van easily.
sometimes work with it out of the van all together .
With a gasstop i will work with more confidence probably using the heater a lot more.

Tris

Tristan R Clean

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2017, 04:46:41 pm »
What is the heat of the diesel like compared to the gas Dazmond?
That is another point of gas :instant heat.

Tris

Don Kee

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2017, 04:48:11 pm »

You wont do your van engine any favours doing that mate

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2017, 05:06:23 pm »
Glad you're getting it sorted Daz. At least the boys at grippa are looking after you even though it sounds like a Ford issue. 

I have loved using mine the last few days.  Piping hot when hose reeled in. Scolding to touch.  Then hot shower level feel to it when unwound in the snow.

I called it a day early though today due to bad road conditions.  The road was gridlock where a bus hit a car in the snow.  So thought "sod that" did not want to risk it anymore.  Even though I struggled to drive up the road on a hill by me.

So makes a big change for me to call it day due to driving conditions rather than working conditions.

The steam was great to watch. The hose was like a rubber band.  Felt like summer.
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

p1w1

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2017, 05:12:43 pm »
has anyone told their insurance company that you have a diesel heater installed and tapped into the fuel line? has it made a change to your premium?

robbo333

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2017, 05:18:49 pm »
I was going to go down the diesel heater route - but the expense :o
I am going to buy one of the gasstop safety valves for £40 for my gas heater.
£100 for my fastar gas boiler ,a few fittings and gas bottle job done.

i like lots of others liked the idea of cheaper option of gas but the safety issues were a concern.
I have my boiler mounted on a trolley so can take in and out of van easily.
sometimes work with it out of the van all together .

With a gasstop i will work with more confidence probably using the heater a lot more.

Tris

So rather than blow up your own van, you're going to blow up a custie's house instead...nice!  ;D

"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

Tristan R Clean

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2017, 05:43:17 pm »
Who said anything about being near a custys house.
I dont usually park in peoples driveways.

Anyway with a gasstop - no explosions :)

Tris

dazmond

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2017, 06:13:57 pm »

why?its a new van not a 10 year old van.its only for a few days anyway.

dazmond

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2017, 06:29:54 pm »
Glad you're getting it sorted Daz. At least the boys at grippa are looking after you even though it sounds like a Ford issue. 

I have loved using mine the last few days.  Piping hot when hose reeled in. Scolding to touch.  Then hot shower level feel to it when unwound in the snow.

I called it a day early though today due to bad road conditions.  The road was gridlock where a bus hit a car in the snow.  So thought "sod that" did not want to risk it anymore.  Even though I struggled to drive up the road on a hill by me.

So makes a big change for me to call it day due to driving conditions rather than working conditions.

The steam was great to watch. The hose was like a rubber band.  Felt like summer.

apparently its webasto that havent updated their data sheets for certain newer vehicles with these fuel pumps.its them that are supplying a part.

its been great to use hot water today despite having to have my engine running.im sure itll get sorted next week hopefully.

dazmond

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2017, 06:52:05 pm »
paul i bet the frost stat feature on your system will  kick in  over the next week or so! ;D

im just making sure im ok by putting an oil filled radiator in my van every night until it gets sorted as obviously mine wont be working.ive turned it off too so it doesnt even try.

Tony dunmall

« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2017, 07:43:17 pm »
Glad it’s being sorted Daz, Unsure you’ll really enjoy working with hot again

it’s a shame these things happen, Sounds like you guys need spare set winter tyres up there as well

Up till last year when I changed the vans I had  hot water with winter tyres, seemed to be best solution but it’s got so mild  down here the last 5 years you bairly need the heat

To be honest down here I never used the frost stat drained batteries to much

Just switched on after starting, put on recirculate and drove to work by time I got there had de iced everything

Tristan R Clean

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2017, 08:10:14 pm »
I think you have brought up another issue here Tony. If you spend your hard earned £4000- £5000 on a diesel unit and we get a few mild winters i would be a little cheesed off.

With the gas boilers little outlay and if you do have a bad winter it comes into play.
But no hardship if you have a few mild winters.

T

Stoots

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2017, 08:15:56 pm »

why?its a new van not a 10 year old van.its only for a few days anyway.

Not a right clever idea to leave van running whilst working. Would only take a brick through the window and it's gone. Insurance void and 20k worth of van and heater gone.

Have a word with yourself mate and be patient whilst the heaters sorted.

Only looking out for you  ;)

Jonny 87

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2017, 08:19:33 pm »
Who said anything about being near a custys house.
I dont usually park in peoples driveways.

Anyway with a gasstop - no explosions :)

Tris

These gas stops prevent explosions of the cylinder itself, but still doesn’t stop gas leaks at the boiler inlet, which is where the main problem occurs. So you could still have an explosion...... just at the other end.

Tristan R Clean

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2017, 08:28:18 pm »
If you watch the gas stop videos - any leaks and it shuts off the gas supply - end of

robbo333

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2017, 08:44:32 pm »
If you watch the gas stop videos - any leaks and it shuts off the gas supply - end of

Oh dear, and I was only joking on my last post!
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!

Splash & dash

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2017, 08:46:28 pm »
has anyone told their insurance company that you have a diesel heater installed and tapped into the fuel line? has it made a change to your premium?

Yes insurance company are fully aware of what and how it’s installed no problem at all

P @ F

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2017, 08:50:01 pm »

Robbo , do you have experience in an explosion with the likes of L5 or similar ?
If so i would like to hear of it , as i am curious , and the more i look at the gasstop gadget i am dubious as to how well it works !
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

Splash & dash

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2017, 08:52:42 pm »
Glad it’s being sorted Daz, Unsure you’ll really enjoy working with hot again

it’s a shame these things happen, Sounds like you guys need spare set winter tyres up there as well

Up till last year when I changed the vans I had  hot water with winter tyres, seemed to be best solution but it’s got so mild  down here the last 5 years you bairly need the heat

To be honest down here I never used the frost stat drained batteries to much

How does the frost stat drain the battery’s ?????  Never had a problem with mine

Just switched on after starting, put on recirculate and drove to work by time I got there had de iced everything

robbo333

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2017, 09:06:02 pm »

Robbo , do you have experience in an explosion with the likes of L5 or similar ?
If so i would like to hear of it , as i am curious , and the more i look at the gasstop gadget i am dubious as to how well it works !

None at all.
My mate is a boiler repair engineer and when I discussed this issue with him he advised me to stay away.
There are too many issues:
Health and safety
Fitness for purpose (they are not designed for commercial use).
Correct venting
Insurance
Fitting and Certificating
Hazard Van symbols
Certified Maintenance
the list went on...

Jonny 87

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2017, 09:30:21 pm »

Sorry tris but that’s not correct.

https://youtu.be/ImVhMcjSrsQ

It can help you “detect” a small gas leak, but it certainly does not shut off at any leak as you seem to think.

The possibility is still there, that if your not on the ball and checking after every job, a leak could occur, and like mine, catch fire on the burner.

Far too much risk for me, especially after investing in a new van and system to use something that isn’t fit for purpose.

It all goes back to insurance. I’m yet to see ANY insurance provider give it in writing that you are covered, while working away from the van.

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2017, 09:40:59 pm »
I know there are a few that think some of us are stupid when investing so much in diesel systems.....

...but you can't put a price on your own saftey let alone others.  If you're happy to take the risk and pay larger insurance premiums each year then go for it.

Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

Missing Link

« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2017, 09:47:07 pm »
Daz, have you tried hitting it with something heavy like a hammer or one of your m00bs?
Pronouns She/Her/Madam/Ma'am

DeLuce

« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2017, 09:53:03 pm »
I think you have brought up another issue here Tony. If you spend your hard earned £4000- £5000 on a diesel unit and we get a few mild winters i would be a little cheesed off.

With the gas boilers little outlay and if you do have a bad winter it comes into play.

T

At the moment, I use an immersion heater set-up, 2kw. I use it every day. I don't have it as hot as you can get it with diesel heater users. But I much prefer cleaning the glass with hotter water. I personally feel it does a more thorough job, if not just a bit quicker. Certainly it's quicker on the bird poop and fly dots, snail trails.
So, wether mild or not, it gets switched on because I prefer it. I don't really think it's a waste of money just because we have milder winters.  In fact, I think it is a safe and sensible investment for cleaning windows quickly and efficiently in all weather.

P @ F

« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2017, 12:24:41 pm »

T

At the moment, I use an immersion heater set-up, 2kw. I use it every day. I don't have it as hot as you can get it with diesel heater users. But I much prefer cleaning the glass with hotter water. I personally feel it does a more thorough job, if not just a bit quicker. Certainly it's quicker on the bird poop and fly dots, snail trails.
So, wether mild or not, it gets switched on because I prefer it. I don't really think it's a waste of money just because we have milder winters.  In fact, I think it is a safe and sensible investment for cleaning windows quickly and efficiently in all weather.

I assume  this is fitted to van tank ?
How long do you leave it on for , what size tank , and what temp do you get to in tank and at brush head ?  Please  ;D ;D

Og

« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2017, 02:15:18 pm »
If you’re that desperate for hot water, just t off the hot water in the house and insulate your tank well?

I’m happy with cold. Makes me work faster ‘cause my hands are numb and need to get back in the van.

DeLuce

« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2017, 06:14:26 pm »

How long do you leave it on for , what size tank , and what temp do you get to in tank and at brush head ?  Please  ;D ;D
[/quote]

Hi P@F,
I've got it on a 500ltr tank in the van,yeah.  I usually have it going for 8-10hrs straight and get 50-60 degrees  in  the tank. At the brushhead, I don't know, it's quite warm, not tepid,neither too hot that your hand wants to recoil. But it keeps the hoses supple and gets  the marks off the glass and frames quite well.
I know cold works fine. I just prefer the warmer water.  I also know, from feedback, that hot is more efficient yet. That's why I'm pondering the move that Daz and others have made. Also, if I have a diesel system it saves me the wires and electric hook up. Not that big a deal, but I think I'd prefer it. 

tlwcs

« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2017, 08:45:33 pm »

Hi P@F,
I've got it on a 500ltr tank in the van,yeah.  I usually have it going for 8-10hrs straight and get 50-60 degrees  in  the tank. At the brushhead, I don't know, it's quite warm, not tepid,neither too hot that your hand wants to recoil. But it keeps the hoses supple and gets  the marks off the glass and frames quite well.
I know cold works fine. I just prefer the warmer water.  I also know, from feedback, that hot is more efficient yet. That's why I'm pondering the move that Daz and others have made. Also, if I have a diesel system it saves me the wires and electric hook up. Not that big a deal, but I think I'd prefer it.
[/quote]

I'm the same as you Rigsby. The only thing for me is ours setups are simple. 4.5k on something that if it goes wrong will cost a lot more in downtime than the repair.
Tony

dazmond

« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2017, 09:40:30 pm »
Why will it? These heaters hardly ever go wrong and even if they do from time to time you can still work with cold water. Like Nigel says once your familiar with how they work you can repair most little niggles/problems  yourself.

P @ F

« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2017, 09:50:48 pm »
They only go wrong on the first day , after that its trouble free eh Daz  ;D

P @ F

« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2017, 01:44:37 am »

T

Just stick one in your tank heat the water and go for it, he will be saying cold doesn't work, the £4.5k guys will be saying lukewarm doesn't work, the additive guys will be saying hot doesn't work and the ppb guys will be saying ppm hot or cold doesn't work.
I could repeat the whole thing over again with different flows and brushes adding more to the mix.
Its great that window cleaning is becoming more technical its sad that it still attracts more than its fair share of idiots.
I don't mean you when I say that.

HeHe , I just like to explore all avenues really , I have had 7 years trouble free from an L5 so im happy that what i am doing is safe , may well blow me to poope in the morning but i dont reckon it will to be honest  ;D

I like on demand , if i had a drive i may well try immersion , but as i dont i cant , i like the thought of a tank of pure that i can pump through an NG boiler sited off my mains and fill each morning , but that is not possible at the mo either , im just going with what is doable at present .

Spruce

« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2017, 11:21:09 am »
They only go wrong on the first day , after that its trouble free eh Daz  ;D

Its nothing to do with the heater. Its Ford who have changed the inside return pipe design. By taping into the return fuel line to the tank, I presume Grippa believed that it's end was 3/4s into the tank as you would expect. But if Daz hasn't been getting fuel to the heater, then it would appear that Ford have now ended that return pipe at the top of the tank.

I would be interested to know what Fords new solution is to this. On further reflection, I can, to an extent, understand why the manufacturers would bulk at the idea of drilling a hole into the plastic tank and fitting a Webasto standpipe into it.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

LBWCS

« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2017, 12:18:47 pm »
Can you have one fitted with a separate diesel tank? So you can use red diesel in it?

p1w1

« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2017, 12:29:31 pm »
not advisable to use red diesel on them

DeLuce

« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2017, 12:41:02 pm »

On yeah, there was a thread about the perils of using red diesel in your heater.
I think it caused a coking issue due to the additive in the red.

dazmond

« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2017, 04:02:34 pm »
Oliver has fitted out loads of these newer connects with these systems but never had this problem before. He ll just have to go into the tank from another spot. I'm sure it'll get sorted.

The heater works great with the engine running 

NWH

« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2017, 04:07:11 pm »
With the engine running ? I know that when I first had mine fitted the people said that the diesel pump was strange as it looked like it had to be fitted back to front,why is it working fine with engine running all that would do would produce more charge surely.

Splash & dash

« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2017, 04:11:23 pm »
With the engine running ? I know that when I first had mine fitted the people said that the diesel pump was strange as it looked like it had to be fitted back to front,why is it working fine with engine running all that would do would produce more charge surely.

I think it is running the boiler off the fuel returning to the tank with the engin running it will have fuel to draw on , with the engin off it cannot run as Ime guessing it cannot draw fuel from the tank as the return isn’t into the fuel just the top of the tank if that makes sense

dazmond

« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2017, 04:13:24 pm »

No idea Nigel but oliver says it's a fuel issue. He knows it runs great with the engine running but as soon as I turn the engine off within 5mins the heater gets starved of diesel and it goes off.

NWH

« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2017, 04:19:55 pm »
I know it doesn’t look as tidy but I run mine from a separate diesel tank now since I changed vans,originally I had it plumbed to the fuel tank but with VWs it can be more hassle with all the protection under the van it’s got covers covering most of the underneath. I was just miffed because the pump just draws diesel and pumps into the unit it’s a bit weird it stops pumping when the vans not running if there’s diesel there and the pumps working it should draw diesel,maybe it’s the original problem they had fitting mine.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2017, 11:16:58 pm »

On yeah, there was a thread about the perils of using red diesel in your heater.
I think it caused a coking issue due to the additive in the red.
Biggest problem with using red is that it would invalidate any warranty you had.

NWH

« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2017, 11:25:29 pm »
There’s only 1 fuel line going into the-a tank it just needs to be submerged in the tank the small webasto pump sucks fuel through the pipe and into the heater it’s as easy as that,it’s the same principle with a marine tank inside the vehicle.