robbo333

Re: Still find trad quicker for some houses...
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2015, 07:35:43 pm »
I did a new custys bungalow but he really didn't like the wfp.
Normally, I can talk them round but this time I couldn't. They are a very old, very nice couple so I agreed to trad it for them.
Surprisingly, it wasn't that much slower doing it trad and I enjoyed it more too.
A round of 320 bungalows, all done trad...not a bad way to earn a living.  :)
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

Joey Eastwood

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2015, 07:44:30 pm »
to me using a wfp on a bungalow is just lunacy really, i mean its like using a stairlift to get from the livingroom to the kitchen.
when life throws you water, clean windows

8weekly

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2015, 07:47:29 pm »
to me using a wfp on a bungalow is just lunacy really, i mean its like using a stairlift to get from the livingroom to the kitchen.
Well if you don't have WFP equipment it would be.

CleanClear

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2015, 08:38:57 pm »
i do all frames all the time  if i like the customer haha, anyone i dont like or know I do as little as i can get away with

Doing all the frames is a good selling point i think, especially if the competition may not do it. On this note, when i've been cleaning WFP i've had a lot of walk ups to say along the lines of..."oh, i wish my window cleaner would do that, its great, really cleans all your plastics doesn't it ". So i'd like to ask you, when you're rubbing with your cloth, do you get similar walk ups ?
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

Jakey boy

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2015, 09:12:56 pm »
i do all frames all the time  if i like the customer haha, anyone i dont like or know I do as little as i can get away with

Doing all the frames is a good selling point i think, especially if the competition may not do it. On this note, when i've been cleaning WFP i've had a lot of walk ups to say along the lines of..."oh, i wish my window cleaner would do that, its great, really cleans all your plastics doesn't it ". So i'd like to ask you, when you're rubbing with your cloth, do you get similar walk ups ?

Don't get me wrong here, because I love my wfp system, but the sheer amount of people that have come up to me when I'm tradding and say 'finally, a real window cleaner, that pole thing is crap' is unreal, I'vepicked up so many customers because they prefer the trad method, and I'll always say trad does the better job done properly. That's my opoion, and I'm a wfp user, so I'm not biased. I just find more people prefer the trade clean over wfp round my area. That's why I say it's essential to master both tecniques!

Joey Eastwood

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2015, 09:15:51 pm »

i never used to do frames, but  have done the last two years and priced higher. yeah alot of my new work is from walk ups at the moment

Joey Eastwood

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2015, 09:19:37 pm »

Doing all the frames is a good selling point i think, especially if the competition may not do it. On this note, when i've been cleaning WFP i've had a lot of walk ups to say along the lines of..."oh, i wish my window cleaner would do that, its great, really cleans all your plastics doesn't it ". So i'd like to amsk you, when you're rubbing with your cloth, do you get similar walk ups ?

Don't get me wrong here, because I love my wfp system, but the sheer amount of people that have come up to me when I'm tradding and say 'finally, a real window cleaner, that pole thing is crap' is unreal, I'vepicked up so many customers because they prefer the trad method, and I'll always say trad does the better job done properly. That's my opoion, and I'm a wfp user, so I'm not biased. I just find more people prefer the trade clean over wfp round my area. That's why I say it's essential to master both tecniques!

i agree jakey, i canvassed quite a big round last year and all tbey asked me was ' you aint gonna use one of them poles are you' lol. only wfp'd a week of my life so cant comment greatly, but from the ground i cant see how u can tell if a window is totally clean. and the answer is you cant.

Joey Eastwood

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2015, 09:20:29 pm »

lazy or just cant use a blade? ;)

Jakey boy

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2015, 09:44:25 pm »
i do all frames all the time  if i like the customer haha, anyone i dont like or know I do as little as i can get away with

Doing all the frames is a good selling point i think, especially if the competition may not do it. On this note, when i've been cleaning WFP i've had a lot of walk ups to say along the lines of..."oh, i wish my window cleaner would do that, its great, really cleans all your plastics doesn't it ". So i'd like to amsk you, when you're rubbing with your cloth, do you get similar walk ups ?

i agree jakey, i canvassed quite a big round last year and all tbey asked me was ' you aint gonna use one of them poles are you' lol. only wfp'd a week of my life so cant comment greatly, but from the ground i cant see how u can tell if a window is totally clean. and the answer is you cant.

Totally agree, and also 'the customer is always right' so if they prefer trad, then that's that, and I'm happy only using my wfp for high acces and Georgian/lead style windows, saves me money on water etc, with trad you have next to no outgoings, so if you can trad and still get the same work done that you would using wfp all day, then it's a no brainer!

Joey Eastwood

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2015, 09:53:06 pm »
i do all frames all the time  if i like the customer haha, anyone i dont like or know I do as little as i can get away with

Totally agree, and also 'the customer is always right' so if they prefer trad, then that's that, and I'm happy only using my wfp for high acces and Georgian/lead style windows, saves me money on water etc, with trad you have next to no outgoings, so if you can trad and still get the same work done that you would using wfp all day, then it's a no brainer!

there should be more like us i recon, make this place a better place ;) haha. seems to be all about whos got the biggest shiniest equiptment and who makes the most thousands of pounds a week quite alot, and if anybody doesnt have the same kit/methods/greed, oh i mean earnings, then they are inferior lol. some people forget about the people who started with a wooden ladder and a rag years ago and still managed to make a living. if you forget your roots you cant grow any new branches... haha

8weekly

« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2015, 10:03:46 pm »

lazy or just cant use a blade? ;)

You aren't Aragorn mate.  ;D

Jakey boy

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2015, 10:10:16 pm »

there should be more like us i recon, make this place a better place ;) haha. seems to be all about whos got the biggest shiniest equiptment and who makes the most thousands of pounds a week quite alot, and if anybody doesnt have the same kit/methods/greed, oh i mean earnings, then they are inferior lol. some people forget about the people who started with a wooden ladder and a rag years ago and still managed to make a living. if you forget your roots you cant grow any new branches... haha

Defo, this forum can be right mare at times! I started out walking round my estate with a ladder and bucket etc, never forget ya' roots!

Real men use ladders and squeeges!  ;)

8weekly

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2015, 10:15:43 pm »
My dad and his dad before him used chamois and scrim. Squeegees are for girls!

gary999

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2015, 10:20:43 pm »

Defo, this forum can be right mare at times! I started out walking round my estate with a ladder and bucket etc, never forget ya' roots!

Real men...that leaves you out then ;D

nothing wrong with remembering your roots...as long as they stay memories the idea long ter
is to move forward not keep looking behind you.

Look where your going, not where you have been ;)

Clever Forum Name

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2015, 10:22:47 pm »

Real men use ladders and squeeges!  ;)

nothing wrong with remembering your roots...as long as they stay memories the idea long ter

Gary can't make up his mind on where his roots come from.

So he uses wfp then uses a blade on the glass ;D

duncan h

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2015, 10:37:12 pm »

+1  ;D
not getting me up a ladder anyway. they kill people lmao.
I love the feel of doing trad. If I started years ago, I guess I would swear by it...but I started WFP because I am 49 and aint dragging a ladders round at my age

Jakey boy

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2015, 07:48:24 am »
Gary I use trad more than pole, pole is used for high work and Georgian windows, woman use wfp for every house ;D

Duncan, ladders only kill people if they don't take adequate care, respect the ladder and it will respect you back  ;)

8weekly

« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2015, 08:01:40 am »
Gary I use trad more than pole, pole is used for high work and Georgian windows, woman use wfp for every house ;D

Duncan, ladders only kill people if they don't take adequate care, respect the ladder and it will respect you back  ;)
If you only use wfp for the odd job, is it surprising that you are quicker trad? Seriously, ask Dazmond's when he first switched. His diary is an eye opener. To begin with he thought he had made a huge mistake as he was so much slower.

In as polite a way as I can put it, you are just plain wrong about trad being quicker. I have watched trad guys work on the houses nearby and I am twice the speed on a 3 bed semi maintence clean.

j timms

« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2015, 08:03:22 am »
At last some comrades in arms. I've been saying that trad is as quick or better on here for the last three years and getting continually slated. Don't get me wrong I love my wfp system and use it on 50% of my work and do believe every window cleaner should have one. Fact is in my opinion most customers prefer trad and to be honest I find it a lot easier on a lot of my jobs.

dazmond

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2015, 08:24:38 am »

fair play mate.its entirely up to you BUT climbing ladders every day is not great esp as you get older.as your a young whippersnapper no probs. :)........unless you have a fall.

i climbed ladders every day for 17 years 100+times a day just to clean  upper windows.i thought i was invincible!(its called being young!).the thing is you get complacent after a while.it only takes one slip.ive fell off twice.luckily i was ok apart from a sore back and swollen ankle.

others not so lucky.i know of other window cleaners who have shattered heels,damaged vertabrae in their backs and head injuries.not good. :(

why you would want to climb a ladder to clean a window rather than pole from the ground is beyond me! ;D ;D

how big is your tank?and what poles do you use jakey?
price higher/work harder!