simon knight

STUCK ON FLAT ROOF
« on: November 24, 2006, 03:48:41 pm »

Put the ladders up to clean windows from roof (about 12 ft). Crash...bloody wind blows them over and I'm stuck. Phone customer to explain the situation...she bursts out laughing and says she's in Twickenham and won't be back for 40 mins or so. The longest 40 mins of my life! Luckily I had my tabs with me...must have smoked 5 at least.

No great calamity but I'd sooner it didn't happen again. Any tips guys?

P @ F

Re: STUCK ON FLAT ROOF
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 03:50:16 pm »
Get yourself a parachute  ;D
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

simon knight

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 04:02:18 pm »

It was only 12ft up...the thing wouldn't open in time...funny man!

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 04:05:26 pm »
i use a bungee strap around the ladder and can normally catch it to gutter if not tie a bit of rope to it and lassoo it around your foot

P®oPole™

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 04:05:51 pm »
lol  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I would of jumped it mate ;)

ProPole

Paul Coleman

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 04:06:05 pm »

Put the ladders up to clean windows from roof (about 12 ft). Crash...bloody wind blows them over and I'm stuck. Phone customer to explain the situation...she bursts out laughing and says she's in Twickenham and won't be back for 40 mins or so. The longest 40 mins of my life! Luckily I had my tabs with me...must have smoked 5 at least.

No great calamity but I'd sooner it didn't happen again. Any tips guys?

It depends how big the roof is but I pull the ladder up after me and lay it down on the roof.  Obviously some roofs are too small for this.
Another method I have used is as follows.  Usually there will be a bit of two storey building attached to the single storey bit.  I have extended the ladder up much further than I need for the climb.  Once I have made my climb, I lean the ladder into the two storey part of the property.  The extra ladder length should ensure that the ladder doesn't blow down in the direction of the two storey part and the fact that you have leaned it should ensure that it doesn't blow away from the two storey bit.  Hope that makes sense.
If none of the above are practical due to the layout, I would leave it for a calmer day.

I bet you felt a right lemon didn't ya?   ;D

P @ F

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 04:07:30 pm »
Looks like freefall lessons are your only option then !

Seriously though , on windy days i used to carry a bungee and just clip it round the ladder onto a gutter or the like .

Rich P @ F

P @ F

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 04:08:48 pm »
Bit slow with the bungee bit wasnt i , story of my life  :P

Rich  P @ F

craig jwc

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 04:09:19 pm »
If i use my ladders and it's windy i usually put a bungee around the top to stop them been blown over.  
I usually hook it to the guttering as it's only to stop it moving sideways whilst your off them working so there's no real weight been put on gutter.
I only use my ladders to gain access to balconies etc as i'm wfp.

Craig

P @ F

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 04:14:53 pm »
WHAT ARE YOU ....... A BLOODY PARROT  ;D

simon knight

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 04:17:29 pm »

When you say bungee I take it you mean the thing you get from Halfords that secures stuff to car roof-racks?...sort of elasticated thing with hooks either end?

petski2

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2006, 04:18:54 pm »
12ft,jees by the time you hang over side your feet are only about 4ft from the ground.
Hang and drop man hang and drop. ;D

craig jwc

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2006, 04:19:51 pm »
Thats the ones only a couple of quid - beat you to it this time Rich.... Muppet ;D

P @ F

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2006, 04:20:34 pm »
THATS IT SIMON , YOUR A GENIUS MAN  ;D

P @ F

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2006, 04:21:27 pm »
DOH , GOT ME AGAIN  :'(

simon knight

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2006, 04:23:20 pm »
Cheers guys. Halfords here I come.

Yes Mr Shiner I did feel a right tool.

4ft for you maybe Petski2 but I'm only 5'9" and can reach roughly 7ft...so for me a 5ft drop....not for me thanks!!

P®oPole™

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2006, 04:24:36 pm »

;D ;D ;D Like petski2, hang and drop, I wouldnt of thought about it (obviously done a risk assessment) and just jumped it, no probs at all ;)

ProPole

simon knight

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2006, 04:38:36 pm »

Yeah but you're all WFP so it's easy for you to give the large....I say 12ft but from where I was standing it looked more 50ft....also I'm a shandy drinking southern Jessie!

P®oPole™

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2006, 04:47:35 pm »

Yeah but you're all WFP so it's easy for you to give the large....I say 12ft but from where I was standing it looked more 50ft....also I'm a shandy drinking southern Jessie!

I hardly ever wfp on flat roofs, im a trad basher when I have to climb the roofs an alot of balconys too.

Most flat roofs are 12ft even at 15ft I wouldnt of had a problem it Must be my youthfull strenth and ability ;) I wouldnt recommend it tho especially if you been around for a few decades ;D.

ProPole

simon knight

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2006, 04:55:24 pm »

Exactly, at 21 the bones heal fast.  But with us old wrinklies it takes months....especially with the rhumatism giving me gip in the cold weather... ;)

P @ F

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2006, 05:03:04 pm »
Hey Simon , what would you have done if you phoned your customer and she said she was in Spain for a fortnight , would you still be up there now , you bloody big girl  ;D

Rich P @ F

simon knight

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2006, 05:08:49 pm »

Nah I'd have smashed the bleeding window, checked how much grog she had in stock, then invited all me mates round for a party.

P®oPole™

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2006, 05:09:39 pm »
 ;D

matt

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2006, 06:04:21 pm »
ive had it happen to me

i was working for the council (as a carpenter) and we had a call out on a council run OAP home about a roof leak

well we arrived and it was 2nd floor, so gets the BIG ladder off the van, hoist them up, i run up to check it out, its on a flat roof and the lead work has cracked, so i shout down to get some " roof sealant paint " (its a fibre based waterproof paint, drys like fibreglass EVEN under water, incase your interestd ;)) we havent got any on the van, my mate says "stay there i will pop up the yard and pick some up"

he goes, phone me on the mobile says "we have had another call" a smashed window on some old dears house, so i will go and do it

i say "go on then, but be quick"

crash, ladders blow over and im stuck up on this roof

i phone my mate, he will be with me ASAP

1 & 1.2 hours go by and he arrives

i was freezing cold by that time

geefree

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2006, 06:20:04 pm »
12ft...  ::)... sit down and jump !

would not have waited 40 mins  :o

simon knight

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2006, 06:37:34 pm »

It was a bloody long way down from where i was standing....understand please...I'm  a woosey and get scared easily....probably why I'm alive today!

Fear is good...keeps me alive :)

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2006, 07:13:08 pm »
I would have done a backwards triple-pike off that. ;D

If only I could find my leotard...

geefree

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2006, 07:14:25 pm »
true,... i suppose you could have landed funny... twisted a knee or something ... then off work...

so , i suppose better to be safe than sorry simon. ;)

D.Salkeld_Ltd

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2006, 07:45:02 pm »
Happened to me TWICE!!

First time the customer was in.  She wanted a FREE clean to put the laddrrs back........................WHAT!!!!!!!.....................I jumped!!!!!
I was only about 30ish at the time.

Second time.................The whole bloody street had a laugh at me.............Mind you did get a new job!!!

David
Not Perfect - But Honest

dai

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2006, 10:11:31 pm »
I told a customer yesterday that the flat roof felt a bit spongy, and was she sure it was ok to walk on. She said "oh better leave that one next time". That's one more job I don't have to get the ladders off for. Dai

EasyClean

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2006, 10:37:13 pm »
If you'd fitted stabilisers to the ladder you wouldn't have had the problem of your ladders being blown over. Work smarter, not harder you southern shandy sipping girls blouse. Personally I would have lowered myself off the edge and dropped to the ground. I'm from the south too and you won't catch me sipping shandy!
Losing a customer is like waiting for the next bus, another one will come along shortly!

david68

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2006, 01:36:15 am »
Same thing happen to me , Lean ladders up the second storey window and was chatting to customer.Then i notice the ladders falling from a gust of wind and just catch them in time before they landed on her 4x4 BMW.

Think i will start bringing my drill to fix them to the ground.

How would i stop this happening if there is no gutter to fix to???

Dave
David

www.ccwin.co.uk

My learning hobby
www.dbritweb.com

EasyClean

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2006, 07:20:30 pm »
Same thing happen to me , Lean ladders up the second storey window and was chatting to customer.Then i notice the ladders falling from a gust of wind and just catch them in time before they landed on her 4x4 BMW.

Think i will start bringing my drill to fix them to the ground.

How would i stop this happening if there is no gutter to fix to???

Dave

Fit some stabiler bars to your ladder before you go up it. The only way your ladder will blow over then is if you're working in severe gale force winds!!
Losing a customer is like waiting for the next bus, another one will come along shortly!

P @ F

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2006, 08:07:48 pm »
That reminds me of the first time i ever had my ladder go over , they landed right on the bonnet of a 3 SERIES bmw !

Funny thing was there was not a mark on the thing !

Rich P @ F

Paul Coleman

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2006, 05:40:38 pm »
That reminds me of the first time i ever had my ladder go over , they landed right on the bonnet of a 3 SERIES bmw !

Funny thing was there was not a mark on the thing !

Rich P @ F

.......and the car looked OK too  ;D