Monty Rooney
« on: September 14, 2011, 05:40:43 pm »

davep

Re: Monty Rooney
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 06:18:48 pm »
This guy is doing 2 rooms for £28 (£90 value) yet website states you pay what you want?

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 06:42:04 pm »
It's his logo and new company name so I would say yes.

Shaun

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 10:20:11 pm »
He's got 101 jobs to do for £17 each, commercial suicide in my view.
Simon

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 10:37:06 pm »
Maybe this is a guy who is part of a new campaign to educate the public and stop them using rug doctors and inexperienced carpet cleaners  :D

No wonder some good honest established cc'ing businesses now find it hard to make a living.

Unbelievable  ::)

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 10:45:04 pm »
Sounds like £28 is the groupon magic figure wonder why nobody has tried a higher figure? if marketed correctly I'm sure good money could be made.

Shaun

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 10:55:16 pm »
Days are gone when you used to get a genuine 10-15% discount I wonder how long it will be before we get 101% discount!!

Shaun

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 07:47:54 am »
It is often small, inexperienced business people who go for this kind of thing, belieivng that some business is better than none. In reality you can only afford to do this type of work if you can assign a couple of days a week to it and take the losses, but be doing profitable jobs the rest of the time. 100 jobs is going to take a lot of time and apparently you don't get paid until you've completed them, so not only are you losing money on every job, you don't even get it in your hand till long after. Yes, you can upsell on some of them and recoup some of your losses, but the rest of the time you're dealing with people who only bought it because it was cheap. And, the other huge problem is the time it takes for a customer to need a re-clean, what's that, a year - two? So no repeats to earn from for a considerable time.
It will certainly be insteresting to see how Monty goes on with this, I wish him luck.

Simon

Tony_Browning

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 08:43:31 am »
Depends on the Thinking Behind It.

When I first Started I spent a Day a week Cleaning carpets FOC!!!!

I Marketed this to Big , High end properties, they were fully aware of the real cost going Forward.

10 Years Later I have taken thousands of pounds from about 50% of THEM.  ;)
Newark-on-Trent, Nottinghamshire.
"A Local Company with a Passion for Exceeding Expectations"

robert meldrum

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 08:45:49 am »
I looked at one in the Glasgow area yesterday which suggested in the advertising that they'd been established in 2010 and intended adding carpet cleaning.................reading further I found the company had only been formed in July 2011..............and reading even further it transpired the web site was incomplete and full of " loren dipsums "

There were three named directors and I wonder if this might be a case of setting up a business to gain high volume sales ( they also claim their intention is to cover the entire UK ) by employing operators at minimum wage and quitting a couple of years later.

I haven't done the maths but it's been shown that the owners of such businesses can rake in many hundreds of thousands over a short time scale and move on when it gets too hot.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 09:14:16 am »
It might work for those brazen enough to hard sell the extras, but it isn't business building, just short term gain.

Simon

jasonl

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 10:06:13 am »
I know Mick has a good TM and set up , all paid for . He has just moved area , and so will end up doing around 70 of these jobs , gaining around 30 regulars , he will turnover around  3k on initial cleans with NO hard or pushy selling, if he has free time ,it is a wise business building decision.

I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

Phil @ Extreme Clean

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 01:44:34 pm »
This seems ok if you need the work but who gets the £28 will the cleaner recieve all that or do groupon take some aswell and if you registered on here can you set your own discount price?
Extreme Clean
Carpets to DRY For!!!!!

www.bookaquote.co.uk

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 01:53:47 pm »
I know Mick has a good TM and set up , all paid for . He has just moved area , and so will end up doing around 70 of these jobs , gaining around 30 regulars , he will turnover around  3k on initial cleans with NO hard or pushy selling, if he has free time ,it is a wise business building decision.

If he does £70 cleans he'll end up with £1960, less the 40% groupon keep. Where do get £3k from?
When does your groupon start, Jason?

Simon

derek west

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 02:04:03 pm »

If he does £70 cleans he'll end up with £1960, less the 40% groupon keep. Where do get £3k from?
When does your groupon start, Jason?
Simon

should of started in august, now september, i think i should get my tenner if it doesn't happen in september, and mr ashmore will owe me a tenner too, woohoo, i'm rich i tell ya, rich.

jasonl

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 02:25:19 pm »
It is all done , most of the work complete  and I have invoiced out the Groupon  reciepts to a factor of x4 , that is where I get the 3k from .

It works as a promotional tool as well as any other , not amazing , but not a flop.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

robert meldrum

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 02:53:46 pm »
Well done Jason for having the balls to have a go at where current marketing is heading. Once you've found out how to make it work I'm sure it will be like any other marketing tool.

Understanding it fully and knowing how to gain the most from it is critical.

derek west

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 02:54:55 pm »
are you saying youve done the groupon deal jason?

Billy Russell