AshWhite

Re: truckmount vs porty
« Reply #100 on: August 15, 2011, 12:06:14 am »
Is somebody elses profit important to you?
Carpet Cleaning http://www.floors2show.co.uk
Google Adwords Management http://www.pagecrest.co.uk

« Reply #101 on: August 15, 2011, 12:11:38 am »
Is somebody elses profit important to you?

Yes it is  ;D  if they choose to advertise it on this forum 

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #102 on: August 15, 2011, 12:50:39 pm »
There's profit and MORE profit, that's why people have a TM, coz they're greedy ;)

richy27

« Reply #103 on: August 15, 2011, 01:20:02 pm »
of course profit is important or what is the point .   

i think many cc s get to a certain stage in their business and feel they need to up grade their equipment most get put off by the new price of a tm . but if people are patient you can find very decent sec hand units at the same price as a top end porty .   

yes the running costs are higher but for small tms its peanuts really.

PaulKing

« Reply #104 on: August 15, 2011, 01:39:51 pm »
like all things its "horses for courses"

personally I wouldn't want to go back to portables, but have to from time to time, just so happens thats about twice a year and thats far to often for me!

www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne

peter maybury

« Reply #105 on: August 15, 2011, 03:55:44 pm »
The equipment that you use will ultimately dictate the market you are in. Do not expect to get large commercial jobs unless you can advertise the fact that you are able to do them. In that case you will not get enquiry's from large customers. Having a truckmount will not automatically make a business profitable but it will give customers a different perspective.
Many customers have reservations on the phone but when they see us turning up, our equipment and our van it straight away give the impression that we know exactly what we are doing. I have read threads on here about people repairing lids on their machines with araldite rather than spend £60 on a new lid and I really wonder how their customers perceive them.
I started on a very low budget being able to fit all my equipment into a mini van.  I was very niave and f I had then known what crap equipment i had would probably of failed because I can only sell enthusiastically if I believe that to be right.
The investment that I have made in equipment is the best investment that I have made. I am still doing it now investing in flood equipment and will be doing it for a long time.
You have to make as much investment as you can afford in your presentation  this means your dress your vehicle, literature and above all your equipment.

Peter

www.carpetcleanercardiff.com

wmidsgw

« Reply #106 on: August 15, 2011, 10:10:20 pm »
''Do not expect to get large commercial jobs unless you can advertise the fact that you are able to do them. In that case you will not get enquiry's from large customers. ''

Peter, you do not need a TM to clean large areas of commercial carpet

I ran several TMs including dual operater m/cs for 25 years but can honestly say that in the later years we cleaned more carpet per hour by using Rotaries and pads than we ever did with our TMs. Most of our work was in high rise office blocks cleaning thousand of sq. yds of carpet in Birmingham. You know what, after using TMs to do the work, I was concerned about what our clients would say when changing to rotaries........never said a word.......the carpets always looked as good, possibly a little better, plus were dry by the time we left.

Yes I know Restaurants & Pubs require the power of a TM with their 'blacktop and grease' but the millions of yardage of commercial, office carpet can be more than adequatly cleaned with a LM system and good operator techniques.

Gordon

« Reply #107 on: August 15, 2011, 10:22:22 pm »
Having a truckmount will not automatically make a business profitable but it will give customers a different perspective.

Well that's ok then, no profit but the customer thinks you're the dogs nuts.
Perhaps I'm totally missing the point of being in business because I thought it was to maximise potential profit and nothing will do that better than a rotary, some pads and a sprayer (basically).