bennymon

is everyone quiet or just me
« on: February 09, 2011, 01:17:41 pm »
 worst week ever 1 job took 1 hour £85. and only had 3 jobs last week.dont know whats going on still got 7 web sites highly ranked  and 20,000 leaflets went out a week and a half ago.

Hilton

Re: is everyone quiet or just me
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 01:22:19 pm »
Four suppliers in our area have closed in the last 6 months, one had only been in their new unit a year.

Steve Chapman

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 01:39:42 pm »
If i had only 1 job booked in this week i'd be out knocking doors until I got some work booked in !

steve

bennymon

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 01:51:01 pm »
used to go doorknocking but people dont like it and i dont want to look like a dodgy salesman [ i cover fairly posh areas]and i wouldnt buy at the door.

Matt Seymour

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 02:12:44 pm »
You're not alone Benny. I packed in because I had weeks like you describe for almost 3 months in a row.

Speaking to some other carpet cleaners it seems to be a very similar story. Having to work very hard to secure any kind of work at all and with so many price shoppers at the moment the value of each job seems to have gone through the floor.

I notice you are down south like me. I am beginning to wonder if the problem is worse in this part of the country than north of here.

Steve Chapman

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 02:29:14 pm »
Theres lots of different ways to go about door knocking, if I go out leafleting, instead of just pushing a leaflet through the letterbox i will knock and ask if its ok to leave one. - You wont look like a dodgy salesman just a considerate a business person.

You'd be surprised how many people will ask for a quote straight away and saves you having to go back when they ring you later.

Also if the occupier says they dont want one at least you can keep it rather than it ending up in the bin !

Steve

jasonl

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 02:41:42 pm »
Go to your nearest secondary commercial area/suburb, the kind of place where all the shops and busineses are owner operated, NOT  national chains.

Go after 7 at night and leaflet them all . I did this when starting out ,worked wonders.

Then the next night do it again in another area

In fact , since things are so quiet , I think I will do it myself tonight.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

bennymon

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 03:04:10 pm »
good idea jason will give it a go steve i have tried that way in the past not great results but it wont hurt to try again cheers   del

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 03:08:20 pm »
I go to Guildford regularly

I am thinking of opening a Branch in that area.

What strikes me is that House Prices are so Expensive you need 60 k a year to pay a mortgage and if you are first time buyer 100k

bennymon

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 03:20:14 pm »
not wrong ian my mum sold her 3 bed semi in the town center in 2000 for £170 one year later it was resold for£345k and in 2003 it was turned into 3 self contained flats wich sold for £220 k each not even any parking with them CRAZY

Doug Holloway

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 05:01:02 pm »
Hi Guys

Just deleted the last few posts and it was getting silly, lets stick to the topic and forget the insults.

Thanks

Doug

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 05:04:34 pm »
Good move Mr Holloway.

But have to agree with Gary

daniel harbut

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 05:21:02 pm »
Iv been quiet lately. Maybe enterprise have given carpet cleaners a bad reputation? An it doesnt help with the recession! I think alot of people would rather have a go at it themselves with some asda shampoo! Or maybe things will pick up nearer summer

Adam P

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 05:25:36 pm »
yeah good move Doug, and i agree with Gary too. some people just want to go off topic for their own personal gains. this forum used to be about helping each other. good to see the moderation team were quick to delete him this time.

don't know if you remember me benny, met you before at cleans we were both doing at the same time. work is picking up for us maybe it'll start coming for you too as we both are i nthe same area. i've got your number handy for when we're too busy to cope not yet happening but sure it will in the coming weeks so may be sending work your way soon

clinton: not once noticed enterprise in guildford area. didn't realise they operated here. no customers have mentioned them and never seen a leaflet, where as i often here of abm and a few others

clinton

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 05:26:05 pm »
Have this enterprise set up taken a lot of work from you guys down south then ???

daniel harbut

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 05:31:09 pm »
Have this enterprise set up taken a lot of work from you guys down south then ???

Yeah a fair bit, and some polish too. I had a ladie call me for a quote 2 weeks ago, i gave her my price and she said she had got another quote of £40 from a polish bloke for the whole house!! I told her the quality of the clean will be very low compared to mine, u get what u pay for!

clinton

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 05:40:16 pm »
sounds like dif areas then down there that enterprise are hitting hard by the sounds of it.

Thats cheap daniel what the polish guy is quoting.

daniel harbut

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 05:42:17 pm »
I know! Well she was happy to go ahead with him so fairplay to him, maybe im
In the wrong?!!

Sarah Kirby

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 05:43:51 pm »
yeah good move Doug, and i agree with Gary too. some people just want to go off topic for their own personal gains. this forum used to be about helping each other. good to see the moderation team were quick to delete him this time.

Looks like everyone agrees with Gary  ;D
What you failed to mention is that your posts got deleted too  ::)

Doug Holloway

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 05:46:36 pm »
Hi Guys

I'm holding up quite well here,essex.

My diary is about the same as last year apart from a nice commercial.

Cheers

Doug