Adam Fearnley

Closing a Deal
« on: October 21, 2009, 03:22:56 pm »
Whats the best way to close a deal when your quoting over the phone, you know when custy sounds unsure, and says 'well ill think about it and get back to you blah blah'?   Any good techniques?  Thanks

Aquakleen Restoration Services

Re: Closing a Deal
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 04:57:59 pm »
I find keeping them talking for as long as possible works for me. Try to be friendly with them and tell them the pitfalls of cowboys with poor quality machinery. Tell them you can pop along and quote for free so they have nothing to loose. Once your in the house thats half the battle!

Adam Fearnley

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 05:12:08 pm »
Ok, trouble is I'm fairly new and not really got the lingo and confidence up to its potential, so I find that the more I talk, the more I can dig a hole for myself, so I try to keep it brief.  I suppose confidence will come with time.  Im relatively cheap so if someone doesn't call back I just wonder why.   :D

markpowell

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 05:14:28 pm »
I just tell them that i am fully trained and insured, that i can show them testimonials and before and after pics if they would like to see them. I do not put down any other cleaners or try frightening them with the cowboy rant, i use my own positives not someone elses negatives, looks more professional.
Mark

Ricky M

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 05:18:03 pm »
Hi Adam , ive only been out a hand full of times to Quote I dont really see the need ( Personally ) but I get 9/10 and Im not silly cheap £25-£30 per seated area on fabrics and £30-£35 on leather, carpets are all different depending on cost, age wear etc etc  but I come from a tele can & door can training back ground and Im accustomed to extracting as much information over the phone , things like how many kids how old what they do for a job etc etc etc , but this info is some times needed to help quote

Ask questions of the client build up a picture , talk about the items to be cleaned , ask the age of the items
MOST DONT it will surprise them and show you genuinely care about what your being asked to clean .

Myself and Shaun Ashmore will be doing a much more in depth talk on this subject at the next CCDO meet in April at Fenton sports manor , I should hope to have some real time pre recorded conversations with new clients for the listeners to hear.

The potential clients only ever hit straight for a price cause they dont know what else to ask.
But the best bit of advise is to listen to the client.

Hope to see you in April

Ricky
www.ability1975.co.uk
                          www.carpetcleaninguttoxeter.co.uk  
              NCCA !? but why have non of my clients herd of them ??

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 05:37:29 pm »
Closing is a very misunderstood subject, it's the natural conclusion to doing all the important stuff right.

It's hard if you haven't asked the right questions, built rapport and gained trust and even tougher when you get the call the next day to cancel.

On the other hand, some people are scared to close and leave money at the door.

I'm sure all this stuff will be covered in Shaun and Ricky's professional selling skills presentation.

Ricky M

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 05:57:28 pm »
Mike I ve found that the best sales people dont really sell , they present a product so well that the client wants to buy after they have been given the options.

the best in sales are always girls !
men will buy from a woman really easy and a woman will always buy from a woman
men selling to men some times there is just too much testosterone . 
www.ability1975.co.uk

M.Acorn

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 06:14:25 pm »
This was one very big area of concern for me when i first started up ! I was always a behind the scenes kind of guy as a chef,didn`t really have to make contact with any of the public as such !
I used to find it hard to talk to people,but you soon learn when your living depends on it !
As said before build up a good rapport with the custy,find some common ground  ;D
What goes around comes around

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 06:15:02 pm »
Mike I ve found that the best sales people dont really sell , they present a product so well that the client wants to buy after they have been given the options.

the best in sales are always girls !
men will buy from a woman really easy and a woman will always buy from a woman
men selling to men some times there is just too much testosterone . 

Ricky

What are your sales credentials?

How many years have you been the top salesperson for a company in the past and have you ever done any sales training?

Adam Fearnley

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 07:14:40 pm »
Ricky,

Could you give some more info about that meeting, where it is exactly, does it cost? 

Maybe it's asking too much but would it be possible to hear a few recordings you have, or anyone else, thanks.

Peter Sweeney

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 07:29:44 pm »
Mike

As you know, I have worked in sales (and done countless training sessions for other sales people.

Having seen Ricky in action I can certainly vouch for his credentials. His style is very different to that of my own but he is certainly results driven.

The key is in the questioning so that ultimately the customer closes you which is exactly as you have said Mike

Adam, drop me an email and I will answer your questions

Pete@oakleafcc.co.uk

The Protector post from Mike is spot on.

Pete

james roffey

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 07:33:17 pm »
Adam i am new as well since Feb this year, i agree with others keep talking as long as possible let them talk  i have chatted to customers about anything and everything,i would have thought it best not to rubbish the competition its just negative , explain why they should use you,  fully insured! member on ncca! Truckmount etc etc  what can they benefit from using you above someone who is cheaper i find now i repeat the same thing to allmost all my customers , i dont know where i heard the phrase "i dont compete on price just quality"  but i have even used that its corny but true what seperates you or any good carpet cleaner from the £18 lounge hall stairs and landing free, guy.
If you believe you are providing a quality service believe it and the customer will too

Peter Sweeney

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 07:41:26 pm »
Okay Jim, your points are correct but in order to sound like you are not selling you need to obtain answers from the customers to some key questions.

eg. What sort of carpet is it Mrs Smith

ans "oh I don't know"

Is it a good quality carpet?

"oh yes, it was quite expensive"

ans, I see, so an investment worth looking after then.

Can you see where I am going with that? I'm sure you can but getting that response from the custy "it was quite expensive" is a classic example and makes it so easy to do a very soft sell and shape the conversation, buy credibility, build rapport I could go on........

Pete

Ricky M

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 07:56:55 pm »
Ricky

What are your sales credentials?

How many years have you been the top salesperson for a company in the past and have you ever done any sales training?

Mike what do you mean sales credentials ??

I went from a door canvaser to a national training manger in a few years ,  had the best and highest paid team in the company for 2 years running then became the national float team for 9 ish months ( full hotel expenses , new car every 6 months and fuel  ) then branch manger for 6 ish months then regional over 2 branches for 4 ish months then 3  branches for a few months then national trainer always picked up a 4 fig wage every week for mon-fri . O and I personally wrote 2 company scripts used by over 650 door canvas ( 1 is still used now ) . I still speak to the owners now and again but they end up trying to pitch me back so I dont really bother as much as I should. I personly broke the sales record and set it at 205k  in 1 month and it still stands I think .

I left because it would never be mine and there is a high level of sniffing and partying that comes with the job and I found it was my time to settle down , and settle I have  ;D ;D
I still stay friends with some of the guys from gateshead to portsmouth for very good reasons  ;)
I still keep the print outs of the records I archived if you want me to post you some copies

Mike Is there a reason you doubt me ?

Looks can be very deceiving matey

www.ability1975.co.uk

Adam Fearnley

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 08:16:57 pm »
Impressive Ricky, come knocking with me, i'll give you 20% ;)

derek west

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2009, 08:29:45 pm »
ricky
i think you'll find theres a lot of people on here who seem to think, if your new to carpet cleaning, your new to life.
for intance i was told i'm a boy in a mans world, thats still making me laugh now. ;D ;D ;D proper tickled me that one ;D ;D

derek
 ;D ;D ;D sorry, i'll stop laughing now
 ;D sorry

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2009, 08:40:30 pm »
You all know the situation. you can just tell they are about to put the phone down without committing to you.

So a direct way of (not necessarily) closing the deal but preventing it being lost is to try the following:

Me: Are you buying purely on price or if not what other factors are you taking into consideration when you make your decision?"

As many potential clients are generally ignorant of such matters it makes them stop and think. Then you can have the opportunity to put other factors to them. They are receptive to listening to you rather than putting up with sales banter which is an important distinction.

They may well go off and get other (cheaper) quotes, but I find they often come back to me.

(The only potential problem with this theory is when you find out that your quote was the cheapest of the three that they got in any case. Then you might just talk yourself out of the job. :'( )
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

Ricky M

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2009, 08:45:32 pm »
Adam I worked with a small team and we hired over 700 D/C and I ran training courses for around 350 Ive done all I can for others so its a no mate

but I will gladly help you put a script together , that may help you close !?

info@ability1975.co.uk

Ricky

Westy I know some of your history and your a grafter , a tough sort and you lapp this up over an 8 pack
and laugh your butt off .

what take away was it 2 nite ? how is the mother and little girl doing ?
www.ability1975.co.uk

derek west

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2009, 08:56:29 pm »
curry rice and chips, only 4 kronenbergs tonight, (with the dynamo system of coarse).

wife is back to stunningly beautiful again, not that she wasn't when she was preggars. :) and baby is doing great, she's smiling loads now which is just magical. "i pitty the fool who tries to date her, pitty the fool" ;D

cheers for asking ricky

derek

Ricky M

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2009, 09:03:03 pm »
Westy , I feel the same about the boys thing but it will hopefully mellow in time or it will cause me and my family REALLY SERIOUS probs in the future 
mind you saying that her 2 god fathers are damng animals so thats out of my hands
Nice lads but a bit naughty  ;) ;)
just in case I kick the bucket or get done in
ya never know  ???
www.ability1975.co.uk

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2009, 10:21:05 pm »

Ricky

Sounds good. Hopefully my question was an opportunity for you to let people know that you have 'walked the walk' and have a lot of experience to impart.

I've done a lot of work for sales companies in the past. Who did you work for I may well know them?

will_turton

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2009, 10:32:10 pm »
 age 11 milk round 15months
 age 12 paper round 3 years
 hm forces 6 years
 8 years :-* wanna be carpet cleaner :-*

serious you can be the best salesmen but be crap at cleaning carpets, its only when you know your job can you chat poope to customers ;) ;)

mark shannon

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2009, 11:06:22 pm »
All the decent custys know when their getting the hard sell, just go round and see the ones who seem worthwhile, if they like and trust you you'll get the work.

Don't need scripts and sorry ain't obsessed with closing, but do OK, its all about building relationships and trust IMO.

mark

derek west

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2009, 11:19:19 pm »
You all know the situation. you can just tell they are about to put the phone down without committing to you.

So a direct way of (not necessarily) closing the deal but preventing it being lost is to try the following:

Me: Are you buying purely on price or if not what other factors are you taking into consideration when you make your decision?

same as roger only a different language.

"are you shopping for the lowest price or are you after a decent job doing"

i'm not as posh as roger, ;D
derek

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2009, 12:17:59 am »
I would class that as a qualifying question, not a last ditch rebuttal question. Ask it early on, save both of you some time - it also gets attention!

Ricky M

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2009, 05:56:41 am »
Billy , must of been right hard work delivering milk up ur way with out getting robbed
papers fine , no 1 can bloody read  ;D ;D
www.ability1975.co.uk

james roffey

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2009, 11:08:14 am »
Okay Jim, your points are correct but in order to sound like you are not selling you need to obtain answers from the customers to some key questions.

eg. What sort of carpet is it Mrs Smith

ans "oh I don't know"

Is it a good quality carpet?

"oh yes, it was quite expensive"

ans, I see, so an investment worth looking after then.

Can you see where I am going with that? I'm sure you can but getting that response from the custy "it was quite expensive" is a classic example and makes it so easy to do a very soft sell and shape the conversation, buy credibility, build rapport I could go on........

Pete

A very good point and clever too  one thing i have noticed is sometimes when they say the cost is higher than expected and i  give my usual reply quite often saying "i know i am not the cheapest" but explain what i will be doing, it clinches the deal  with most its not the cost so much as value, quality and  trust, enevitably a few just want the cheapest but those are often ones you dont really want to do anyway         

malcom1961

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2009, 09:03:22 pm »
Hi sit down and write a script( write down the questions you want to ask etc )  when you think you are happy with it read it to a few people see what they think when you think every thing is right then memorise it or make it into a questionnaire and wright the customers answers by your question,  if you get the job you can always take it with you for reference to what you were told.
you can always chop and change it as you go on until it is 100%
Malcolm

Ricky M

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2009, 10:13:35 pm »
Malcom your on the right track there but IMO scripts are more guide lines that Should be deviated from as much as possible so your speech is more free flowing .

Vocal Interaction is from both parties is key but thats IMO.
the recipient most talk as much as the person throwing in the the ice breaker , they should feel like they own the conversation .

www.ability1975.co.uk

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2009, 10:26:08 pm »
What is a sales script?

A sales script is a researched and tested goldmine because its results cannot be beaten. It means that someone has tried all different approaches and found the one that on the average gets the best response. Therefore deviating from it is a bit silly, unless you are very skilled and have all this in your head anyway.

OK that said - most scripts are crap, most people can't be bothered to own them and most scripts don't have the flexibility to cope with any response. And worst of all most sales people are worrying too much about what they are going to say next rather than responding to what the person just said in a way that makes sense.

I had a call from a YP rep the other day. I felt sorry for the guy. He was like a robot. I could have said his head was on fire and he still would have said. well sir did you know we are also offering...

But when you deal in numbers you can get away with it 60-100 calls a day you got to find the odd mug. How many people do you put yourself infront of a day? I think I want something better than that.

derek west

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2009, 10:37:03 pm »
all you need is a bit of paper which lists the benefits of your business, the benefits of having your carpets cleaned, what makes you better than the opp, and a few other bits and bobs of interest on it, then when you get a call, its something to jog your memory while your giving your usual speel. if you feel your losing your sale, pick one of your benefits off your piece of paper and throw it at them.
by the way, i don't do that, i just talk to them like i talk to my neighbours.
good old friendly banter wins hands down for me,
i texted a second time customer today, "just leaving now, be there in 30 minutes, not to much butter on my toast, i don't want me egg to slide off" ;D
derek

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2009, 10:55:12 pm »
Derek

Don't know about you but I think the sales side for carpet cleaners is all very well, but what everyone seems to want is to get the phone ringing more.

Sure if it's a 3 quotes job you need to work it, but for most if you haven't got to heads and the price is reasonable you get the job, has that been your experience?

Ricky M

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2009, 11:23:09 pm »
What is a sales script?

A sales script is a researched and tested goldmine because its results cannot be beaten.

What a load of pure crap
www.ability1975.co.uk

Ricky M

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2009, 11:25:29 pm »
Mike what are your creds then ?

www.ability1975.co.uk

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2009, 12:25:04 am »
Ricky

My credentials are 10 years as a 100% commision only Headhunter recruiting mainly Sales Engineers/Account Managers for blue chip technology companies. I ran my own firm for 5 years hiring and firing salespeople/headhunters. To say I have a good nose for salespeople econimical with the truth when it came to their sales figures is an understatement, it's surprisingly common as I'm sure you know.

My questions always revealed the bullpoopters.

If you think what I say about a  professional scripts is crap then I really feel you need to go back to the drawing board if people are going to pay good money to learn sales from you. Sorry mate but that's my view.

Ricky M

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2009, 10:55:31 pm »
Mike 5 years with your own firm eh 
mm
and your now in the cleaning industry with how many staff ?

I humbly bow down to the blue chip mover and shaker  ::)

www.ability1975.co.uk

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2009, 11:27:07 pm »
Ricky

In some ways it's a come down, but I'm happier now than when I had the stress and all the rubbish that went with it.

I'm sure you have turned over the numbers in your time, but if you are teaching people to wing it, well that's plain wrong and any professional sales person at the top of their game will tell you that.

R-CLEAN

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2009, 11:55:33 pm »
sorry but i read the first question and the last answer.

more then likely there price shoping so there gone before ya started. (unless ya cheap).

me personally would say simple terms "you get what you pay for, if ya want a 40 pound job done(like the others) i can do that, if ya want a through job £100 i will do that. (example) thats for the price shoppers, the rest will come naturally. the end :D

ok not the last lol

james roffey

« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2009, 10:37:40 am »
Sometimes the customers quite capable of figuring out by themselves, when i explain  to them what  process i will use the length of time it will take and how thorough i will be, they often understand why i may be a little bit more expensive, i would be interested in taking a look at one of these "scripts" though to see what they may offer when i got started i read  many books on marketing mostly american but it definately helped not with selling over the phone but leaflets
My only criticism would be i  myself cant stand the feeling that i am being sold something and often thats how these methods come aross. but i would like to see one.

Mr Dvae

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2009, 07:58:01 am »
How many of you 'Ask for the order'?  sales people would never sell anything without asking for the order, and did you know that the best thing a potential customer can say to you is NO!

Dave

clinton

« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2009, 08:37:27 am »
Mike O

Good credentials with your sales background :)

Did you find it helps getting work ???

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2009, 01:24:15 pm »
Hi Clinton

I think the key is maximising every lead and getting a good price rather than relying on a low price to get the business. We like to optimise our time and our costs, but when you think about it, not having your sales down pat will lose you lots of time and money.

Having said that getting the phone ringing I suspect is more the average CC problem and the more it rings the easier it is to sell.

nevil

« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2009, 03:06:39 pm »
I find the best way is to not think sales. Put that to the back of your mind for a moment. Whenever possible try to engage the customer. talk to them, listen to them. Have a joke. I have always thought that half the battle is for them to like you. If you alienate them there is no way they are going to use you.

They are thinking about more than just price. Getting the job done properly and making sure they are not going to get a weirdo coming in their house could be important factors. If you have talked to them you will already know when they are thinking of get the job done. I always say don't leave it to late to book or that day or week will be fully booked. 

Robert Watson

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2009, 04:45:44 pm »
When a customer says "I`ll talk it over" or what ever, I always say.
My name Robert, if you want to get back to me.
Then they warm up and say " Oh thank you very much Robert"
Might just be enough to win them if the price is not to far out.

Rab.
The Kitchen Door Centre

COLIN BRIGHT

« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2009, 05:23:32 pm »
i always go out to quote unless its a repeat customer - the thing is that i always want to know what im walking into E.G state of the carpet/upholstery,where its situated,can i park my van and more importantly do i like the look of potential customer or are the nobheads