benny d

Van signage information
« on: May 07, 2007, 12:00:28 pm »
At the moment my van is signwritten mainly to the Joe Polish way of doing things, ie-

"The Most Thorough Carpet Cleaning Ever Seen...Or it's FREE"

But to be honest in my area, near Littlehampton West Sussex, it doesnt seem to be working too well with the local people. Im not getting many people saying "ive seen the van and it looks good, so thats why ive called" etc.

So I was thinking of having a change on the van to something a bit more traditional. If it is possible can you put a photo of your vans on the page so that I can get some ideas? It would be interesting to see the different types of van signage.
thanks
Ben

PS:- In your opionions does decent van signage make that amount of difference to business??
"If i'm not in action, I'm in traction"
Voted 397th best looking carpet cleaner in West Sussex 2015. Up 10 from last year...

Mike Halliday

Re: Van signage information
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 02:47:48 pm »
your van should be part of your overall marketing, projecting a recognizable corporate image, what i mean is when some one sees your van across the road at a neighbours house they need to be able to recognize your company when they look in the YPs.

so all your marketing should look the same including your van signwriting. I use a picture of me using a rotary waving my hand.

mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

chrisg

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 03:48:41 pm »
I used many designs, JP included, none work, your hardly get anything from van signage.

When was the last time you wrote down a number off a van?

I never have.

your better off leaving it blank, it looks tacky signed any way.

Nick Johnston

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 04:21:37 pm »
I get 9.48% of my business directly from my van. When I'm not working, I park the van on an A road adjacent to my house for maximum exposure.

I've attached some piccies.

Nick

Paul_Ashworth

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 04:25:32 pm »
I think if your van is not sign written you look like a cowboy and you Do get jobs from your van If it look professional.

Id attach a Pic but am not sure how to do it !

Nick Johnston

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 04:27:03 pm »
P.S. I now also have 2 business card holders attached to the van so that prospects don't have to write the number down.

Just to reinforce the crazy inconsistencies of marketing and advertising, although my van works for me in my area, leaflets do not! Many CCs swear by leaflets, but I cannot get them to work for me.

Happy marketing.

Nick

Nick Johnston

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 04:28:31 pm »
Paul

Select Additional Options just below the Message box and you can attach images

Paul_Ashworth

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 04:32:06 pm »
Nick Leaflets dont really work for me either, will be having them redesigned and trying again, i think you need to put lots of leaflets out for them to work.

Your van looks really good Nick

Paul_Ashworth

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 04:39:51 pm »
hope its worked

chrisg

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 04:42:37 pm »
OK :-[, ill rephrase that, its never worked for me, even with smart vans and signage, over years of trying.

Leaflets; 1 per thou.

Phillip Mold

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2007, 04:46:03 pm »
I like my number plate, its great watching people work it out!
Doing the best job in the world as well as I can

Paul_Ashworth

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 04:47:26 pm »
Gone on Phil, what number plate have you got ??

Phillip Mold

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2007, 04:49:23 pm »
Number plate and message:

Paul_Ashworth

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2007, 04:53:26 pm »
lol  :)

Neil Grainger

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2007, 05:00:08 pm »
This is mine and it works well, pick up jobs about 1 a week from the van.

benny d

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2007, 05:28:11 pm »
Thanks for the replies.
Its good to see what your vans look like.

Keep 'em coming!  ;)
Ben
"If i'm not in action, I'm in traction"
Voted 397th best looking carpet cleaner in West Sussex 2015. Up 10 from last year...

Liahona

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2007, 05:46:52 pm »
Paul, how can you say an unwritten van suggests a cowboy.  If its unwritten how can it suggest anything?

Mine is not signed nor will it ever be for various reasons.

I did sign write one once but lost so much work because of it I quickly took the writing off.

Unwritten certainly doesnt make me a cowboy.  A lot dont like the way I do things perhaps but again doesnt make me a cowboy.

Some of the highest earners (per job) I know all have un-signed vans.

For some it works and I wouldnt suggest for them to change but if you want to get into a more "higher end" clientelle then I would suggest a clean blank van would be better suited.

If you want to do 2, 3 or 4 jobs a day then I would have thought a sign written van was or is a must.

Best, Dave.

*paul_moss

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2007, 07:13:58 pm »
I get about 15 jobs a year off the van.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2007, 07:19:13 pm »
I haven't got room for signage on my wheels, so I have it embroidered onto my shirt and sweatshirt
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

Phillip Mold

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2007, 07:34:53 pm »
And the marigolds?

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2007, 07:40:10 pm »
Yes Phil, I always carry the marigolds with me.  That pictures about 6 years old.  My marigolds are now sky blue to co-ordinate with the new bike ;)

Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2007, 07:00:24 am »
i think vans that say "its the best cleaning ever or it free"  look so tacky its realy put the company down , i mine why would you do this ? and people think the same most custys think you get northing free in life and will be abit more likely to ring someone that more upmarket looking

every cheap spash and dash c.c. im my area puts this on there vans  !i just laff at them . ..... 

Neil Grainger

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2007, 09:17:08 am »
1st

Really makes me look like a splash ??? when I pull up at Marks & Spencers in Camberley and always get people taking leaflets off the Van and then phoneing for quotes.

This works, Some of the top Sole Traders in UK Carpet Cleaning use this method and it brings in the work. One in Bradford springs to mind and another in Devon.

Its each to their own but dont knock it until you've tried it.

chrisg

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2007, 06:23:30 pm »
Thats not many success stories though (one in bradford one in Devon) cosidering it must be over a thousand done FT.

is it really only a handfull of success stories ?

matt jones

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2007, 06:46:28 pm »
chris who is the successful ft you talk about in devon its just i know one and was wondering if it was the same person?
matt

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2007, 06:55:47 pm »
every thing will work until the cow boys start copying it then its worth less ! like the eco cleaning all well and good at the min until the cowboys click was going on then its over  ;)

if it works for you then great i say just i think its looks cheap thats all and am not impressed with the standing outside of m and s thing at all i could post about  us fitting on the qe2 if you like  ;) as my father and bother use to do the  jobs for durham carpets many years ago  ;)

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2007, 07:01:20 pm »
I used many designs, JP included, none work, your hardly get anything from van signage.

When was the last time you wrote down a number off a van?

I never have.

your better off leaving it blank, it looks tacky signed any way.

vans do work i just got a phone call from nottingham asking for a price on a job as he seen the van in the petrol station !  the t.m. is on the way too HydraMaster guess he pulled in there for fuel  ;D

chrisg

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2007, 07:14:33 pm »
So when was the last time you wrote a number down off a van?

Its all a lot of ball, your get maybe 1 or 2 jobs a year. Is that worth the effort?

carry on kidding yourself if you like.

matt jones

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2007, 07:19:24 pm »
chrisg what ft guy were you talking about when you mentioned devon?

chrisg

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2007, 07:22:13 pm »
Neil said Devon, i was quoting him.

matt jones

« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2007, 07:35:52 pm »
oh yea so he did sorry chris so same question to neil then lol?
matt

Neil Grainger

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2007, 08:05:04 pm »
Martin R is from Devon and the Guy in Bradford I cant remember but all the fast trackers should no him because he is the guy that charges £10 a metre.

There are quiet a few others that use it and do ok otherwise why would the fast trak courses not be full everytime they run.

If they did'nt work for the majority it would soon get out. The CC world is very small and most know a lot about whats going on.

Using it has worked for me but I only use things that I think would benifit my business like the signwriting on the van. Using Fast Trak marketing got me that commercial Job.

Liahona

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2007, 08:19:29 pm »
The gentleman in Bradford is "Fluffy" Walker.  Funny though  I only know him as Fluffy although his name I think is Derek but what do I know.

Rightly so, Martin is the man in Devon

Neil, I think but I am not sure that Fluffy charges more than that now.  I hope so anyway as he was charging £10 a square meter two years ago.

£10 a meter is only around £1 a square foot so I think he is spot on for what he does and how he does it. 

Well done on getting the job.  Lot of work for what you ended up getting but the point is you did get it.

Best, Dave.

matt jones

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2007, 08:30:10 pm »
Thought you meant martin he only lives about 8 miles from me got hold of one of his famous ft leaflets back along. Don't know the guy but nearly bought a machine of him through ebay when i was starting up.
matt

AquaMagic

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2007, 09:09:19 pm »
I dont think its much about people writing the number down when they are driving, its more about customers neighboroughs seeing the van.  In a village local to me ive had serveral jobs from people how said they had seen the van about then called when a flyer dropped through their door,  I think its worth doing.

goto http://www.signsandshirts.co.uk/default.html

When had our van done for about £160, had to put it on the van ourselves but its not hard.

Dene

Steve Chapman

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2007, 09:30:13 pm »
Just wondering about the "best cleaning ever or it's free" on the van, what happens if the customer turns around and says they are not convinced and want it for free?  lets face someones going to try it. ::)

Do you actually do it for free or is there a way around this?

just curious ;D

steve

Neil Grainger

« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2007, 10:11:29 pm »
It only as good as you are at cleaning, Survey first explain to customers what will happen.

I tend to know if custy is going to try it on, Has happened once to me as it was an old man who thought he was a jack the lad. As always I cleaned the dirtiest part first and got him to check he said he was'nt happy, so I walked away. Funny thing is that he walked back over the carpet in welly boots that was obviously the reason for the state of the carpet in the first place.

Its works for me and its only a Gurantee that makes the customer feel safe, you only have to do what it says if you are not on the ball and doing a bad job.

Dave, not totally happy with price but think it will leed to more work on a maintenance basis, so will be worth more in the future.

Cheers

neil

chrisg

« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2007, 08:43:28 am »
The down side of   "the most thorough....."   is it DOES raise expectations, there fore its probally  not a good idea to use it in your first year or 2 or 3 when your abilitys lower.

ianharper

« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2007, 09:40:09 am »
guys

the USP you are talking about is Jim wolvertons from the USA he is one of JP members and wrote the pink leaflet.

what you should do is make up your own USP. by attaching yourself to someone else's you run the risk that a bad cleaner in your area also uses it.

i changed this USP to "like new carpet cleaning or your money back" but now have moved on to my Eco USP.

you will get linked to all the FT guys and sometimes that is not good. not that they are all bad. like anything you will get the odd one.

when making any marking judgement it should aways be based on results. as you may or may not know i rewrite my van about every year if i don't get any work from the signs. its a media and should pay for itself.

signage is cheap and can be got if you want to fit yourself for £50. (basic signage)

if you need to decide what to put on your van, test it in leaflets, as that's where "the most thorough" came from.

one last thing, I always thought that by putting offers on the van that it would work better. i found out that's its not so in my case.

respect

Ian Harper

DanielWelford

« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2007, 04:32:52 pm »
can someone tell me where you can obtain the card dispensers that you have stuck on your vans.

Cant see on ebay!!!

Ta

Dan

Karl Wildey

« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2007, 08:37:20 pm »
If you going to put 'or its free' on any advertising, you got to know what you are doing and do a good job, or it will be free.

Maybe the 'or its free' says more about those afriad to use it. I don't think a cowboy would even risk it as he would be working for nothing, hence thats why you only see this on professional carpet cleaner vans.

Got a website for the card dispensers somewhere in my misc file in the office, will dig it out if I remember tomorrow

Steve Chapman

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2007, 08:44:11 pm »
The fact is you can't "make" someone be satisfied with the cleaning even if it's the best in the world!

I've had jobs where we've done a fantastic job and even tho the customer has readily paid up, they've still said they are unhappy about this or that! Just because they are a miserable so & so.

If i'm satisfied i've done a brilliant job i'm certainly not gonna give it away for free! :o

wheres the sense in that?  -  and if you never intend to then thats misleading also ;)

regards
steve

Mike Halliday

« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2007, 08:50:10 pm »
I think 'the happy or you don't pay guarantee' is a case of get started, show them a test sample and then ask them 'will you be happy with this result?'

if they say 'no' then you pack up and leave, if they say yes then you are guaranteed to be paid,  so its not as if you are cleaning a carpet then finding out if they are happy and are willing to pay you.

mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Neil Grainger

« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2007, 09:59:37 pm »
Its a sales ploy and it also makes the customer feel safe with you as a company.

Karl Wildey

« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2007, 11:44:18 am »
Been running the 'or its free' for over 5 years, and never given a free job. I do get lots of worried clients who do not know who they are getting from yellow pages, so this 'fail safe', puts they mind at rest.

Saying that I live in Norfolk, and its quiet and relaxed. If I lived in one of the busier cities in the Uk, I would not use it as too many scammers in the larger places.