Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

Re: Why i dont want truck mount
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2014, 09:47:24 pm »
Didn't you buy a prowler Ian and then market it as a cheap way to clean carpets ?
If I remember, you were criticised for that marketing strategy by both portable owners and truckmounters alike.

wynne jones

« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2014, 09:52:36 pm »
Didn't you buy a prowler Ian and then market it as a cheap way to clean carpets ?
If I remember, you were criticised for that marketing strategy by both portable owners and truckmounters alike.

You are right Steve, I remember the video he did which basically was saying don't pay me much because I'm quicker with a TM. Didn't make sense then either.

It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2014, 09:55:03 pm »
Apparently most splash and dash merchants are truck mounted ?

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2014, 10:02:15 pm »
I don't think Ian is here to 'wind us up' Ian is in his own way trying to discuss marketing on social media something I know very little about, i just think that keeping up with him is the hardest bit.

Shaun

John Kelly

« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2014, 10:07:04 pm »
Its past your bedtime Keith. Yes Glynn he's just ordered a Turbo. You should have got one and sold your truckmount ;)

stuart_clark

« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2014, 10:09:57 pm »
Whats a turbo ?

mr muzzy

« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2014, 04:58:01 pm »
Look at it as a grass cutter. The customer has a large lawn wants cutting. You can do it with a push along and it will do a fine job and customer will be happy or you can do it with a petrol engined mower, it will do a fine job and customer will be happy and you'll be on to your next job a lot quicker.
sorry mr Kelly the man from the company that I got my machine from told me, there machines were a lot better than any t m , he talked to me for a good few hours. going over everything about this subject,,
I think you need to talk to him too he seems to know what hes talking about xxsee you soon xx

lol yes mate just kidding with john Kelly

Does he have the initials JH by any chance and has a business in the North East ?

*Hector*

« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2014, 06:19:46 pm »
I don't want a truck mount because.....................................

It wont fit in the back of my skoda felicia...  ;D ;D
Everyday this forum slips further from God.  :'(

Mr Dvae

« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2014, 01:27:27 pm »
'Get the work, get the machine. Not the machine then the work'

isn't that a little like saying 'i'll get my daughter a bicycle when she's learn't to ride one"?

Dave

stuart_clark

« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2014, 02:20:14 pm »
No it isn't

maxcampbell

« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2014, 06:31:55 pm »
I've said it before, but it's what I believe - any CC'er who gets busy enough will end up with a TM.

Nearly all the people who do get TM's have worked their way up from porties, and wouldn't want to go back.

TM's do do a better job - if not in the cleaning, then in the drying - I was amazed at how dry we were leaving carpets when we first got a TM.

It is easy & obvious to charge just that little bit more, or convert a better percentage of quotes, when you tell people you've got a machine 7x or 10x times as powerful as the bloke down the road with "One of those little electric machines." (and it's self contained, hot water right from the start, etc, etc - it is a very easy sale for us if we're quoting against a porty user.)

We're all allowed to talk b******s on our website, but the link from Steve, presumably Ian's site, does seem to hit a high in this regard - we TM'ers are "creaking (sic) nuts", apparently.

Running costs are negligible compared to greater output. If you really want to spend time engaging with customers, you could get a helper, which allows that and more throughput, but my betting is that the answer is in my first sentence - you say you don't want a TM because you're not busy enough.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2014, 06:40:31 pm »
I've got two powerful porties and only use them when I absolutely have to, today was one of those days. Lift it out of the van push it to the door, fill it up, plug it in, start cleaning, stop, fill it up again and empty it.........
Do they do a good job? Sure do, but god almighty what a palaver. :'(
Next job done with the TM in a fraction of the time. ;D

Simon

Glynn

« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2014, 07:34:39 pm »
I've got two powerful porties and only use them when I absolutely have to, today was one of those days. Lift it out of the van push it to the door, fill it up, plug it in, start cleaning, stop, fill it up again and empty it.........
Do they do a good job? Sure do, but god almighty what a palaver. :'(
Next job done with the TM in a fraction of the time. ;D

Simon

Which powerful portie Simon ?,
Iv'e never come across one of these.
Regards
Glynn

wynne jones

« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2014, 07:45:16 pm »
I'm going to try and be as unbiased as possible here, I may fail but..

I can honestly say I have huge respect for someone like Hector. He knows what he wants for him and what other people think doesn't matter. He's working on a shoestring without a care in the world. The main thing though is his clients are happy and that's all that matters. He also takes a huge amount of stick on here with a real sense of humour.

However, I think getting a TM soon as you can will be the best decision you make. Sure, if you are sht at marketing you wont get anywhere and if you are a crap cleaner no TM will make up for that. As sson as you get yours you can role up to a pub or restaurant and SHOW them what you can do in 10-15 minutes. This is something I got off Simon off here a long time ago and it pretty much paid for the thing.  

If you are a go getter you can do twice as many jobs as a portable user and if you are a bit lazy you can make a lot more per hour and be home for Countdown.

Price and a fear of the mechanicals is what put people off but honestly after a month or two you will be laughing about how silly you were.

It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.