Marcus McDonnell

Water heater Is it a must for Carpet machines
« on: April 21, 2012, 09:55:52 am »
Buying a new machine but trying to keep cost down is the inline heater a must or can u get away without it

Russ Chadd

Re: Water heater Is it a must for Carpet machines
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 12:17:09 pm »
Well... the simple answer is no, however this really depends on the chemicals you use for pre spraying.
If you choose a chemical which does not rely on hot water to increase its cleaning efficiency something like SPM from Solution, Cornwall will work just fine.
Saying that, if you are cleaning lots of filthy greasy restaurant carpets then hot water will help when rinsing.

gwrightson

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 12:42:15 pm »

well.the simple answer is yes,  No matter what bulls**t they tell you ,heat will improve the procces .

.......  there are how ever a number of products available that claim do not need heat , available form a number of differnt suppliers . 

Geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

Elfyn

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 01:20:16 pm »
I have an inline heater and haven't used it years.  ::)
I do a lot of "end of tenancy work" and I get very good results without heat.

gwrightson

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 01:41:14 pm »

Try some proper heat Elfin , and you might get some excellent results ;)

Heat will always give you the advantage , no question about it , I am not saying you cannot clean with out heat, the point i am trying to make is heat is an advantage  what is the point in manufactures making machines with heat? what is the point in making inline heaters ?   and why am i wasting money turning my burner on ?

Geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha

cleantech

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 01:47:01 pm »
Wet cleaning of carpet is classed as HOT WATER EXTRACTION i cleaned a restaurant carpet recently and without heat i had no chance of removing the soil. you will get away without heat most of the time but with heat you will get better results every time

Richard Meads

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 02:40:06 pm »
Three parts to cleaning, Heat, Agitation, and Chemicals, of you use less of one, you need more of the other. So microsplitters work on the principle that the chemical is good enough not to need heat.  I sometimes use microsplitters, but for resuraunts I use a hot enzyme, and the machine heater (portable), boosted with Magma heater.

Most portys have some sort of heater, you can fill the tank first, let it heat up while you move furniture, prespray agitate, let it dwell etc. Then upgrade over time.

Elfyn

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 02:53:08 pm »
Geoff, you are wasting your money when you turn on your burner without a doubt.

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 03:07:25 pm »
The heater on my machine has not worked for years.
I only use microsplitters and rinse with cold water.
But then I do not do restaurants nowadays. Tap hot water will help with rinsing greasy carpets but is not essential--- as long as you use free rinsing micro splitting presprays. It is at that stage the breakdown of dirt is done. The rinse then removes the emulsified crud.

If you are using intank detergents like we used to, then a bit of heat helps.
Most people have moved on from that.
God must love stupid people---He made so many.

gwrightson

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 03:08:37 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

now i can save myself £15 per week  , thanks Elfin

Geoff

gwrightson

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 03:12:25 pm »
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The heater on my machine has not worked for years. I only use microsplitters and rinse with cold water. But then I do not do restaurants nowadays. Tap hot water will help with rinsing greasy carpets but is not essential--- as long as you use free rinsing micro splitting presprays. It is at that stage the breakdown of dirt is done. The rinse then removes the emulsified crud. If you are using intank detergents like we used to, then a bit of heat helps. Most people have moved on from that. I,ve heard it all now ;D  tap hot water on greasy carpets , exactly how hot is it when it hits the carpet , by the time its been sat in ur rugdoctor  ermm porty, and got to the wand !!! geoff

cleantech

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 04:14:37 pm »
Three parts to cleaning, Heat, Agitation, and Chemicals, of you use less of one, you need more of the other. So microsplitters work on the principle that the chemical is good enough not to need heat.  I sometimes use microsplitters, but for resuraunts I use a hot enzyme, and the machine heater (portable), boosted with Magma heater.

Most portys have some sort of heater, you can fill the tank first, let it heat up while you move furniture, prespray agitate, let it dwell etc. Then upgrade over time.

Sorry richard there are 4 parts in the cleaning pie heat agitation chemical and time dwell time as you said yourself

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 04:15:17 pm »
Just get a Truck Mount and stop elfyn around  ;D
Sorry, couldn't resis that one.

cleantech

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 04:22:37 pm »
But then I do not do restaurants nowadays. Tap hot water will help with rinsing greasy carpets but is not essential--- as long as you use free rinsing micro splitting presprays. It is at that stage the breakdown of dirt is done. The rinse then removes the emulsified crud.

How are prochem and chemspec managing these days

Doug Holloway

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 04:59:41 pm »
Hi Guys

There are so many scientific reasons why hot water cleans better, most of which have been listed in previous posts.

Yes a heater is a major advantage, essential in some cases.

Cheers

Doug

Richard Meads

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2012, 05:18:25 pm »
Ooops yeah Cleantech you are right!

I'll have to dig out my training manual and do a bit of re-reading  :)

Richard

Marcus McDonnell

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 03:55:49 pm »
Thanks for all your comments has been really helpful.

garybristow

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2012, 06:12:55 pm »
If your doing mainly residential you can get away with it,you will be filling your machine with hot water generally speaking
its all in the presray and spotting,the machine only lifts out the soiling you dissolve?
gary

Jamie Pearson

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2012, 06:45:13 pm »

How are prochem and chemspec managing these days

Outselling micro splitter 10:1 in my shop.

Bob Allen

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2012, 07:06:11 pm »
Heat, heat and more heat  ;D
Bob Allen