Stoots

Doing price rises
« on: September 23, 2019, 07:42:40 pm »
Just sent out about 250 texts for price rises.

So far about 50 said no problem

Just one tight get that said ok we will cancel then

£10 job going to £11 had them 3 years

How tight are some people  ???

Plankton

Re: Doing price rises
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 07:57:51 pm »
Your giving them the easiest way to cancel though, I prefer to just mark it on the Windows cleaned slip and then they don't have the knee jerk reaction of canceling.

nathankaye

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 08:05:17 pm »
Best thing about GoCardless.
Bang their price up every couple of months and a great tip at xmas from them as well.
Obviously you tell them via the email which is generated but how often do they check their email..... ;D
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Stoots

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 08:15:36 pm »
Your giving them the easiest way to cancel though, I prefer to just mark it on the Windows cleaned slip and then they don't have the knee jerk reaction of canceling.

Maybe, but I don't think just sticking the price up without warning would go down very well either. Seems a bit rude not to pre warn them.

I don't mind losing 10-20 to be fair I've got a few too many really but still can't believe how tight some are over a quid

P @ F

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 08:17:22 pm »

So you have lost £10 a month but gained £49 a month in my book  ;D
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

PHILIP HARDY

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 08:52:55 pm »

So you have lost £10 a month but gained £49 a month in my book  ;D

A £1 price rise on a £10 job is 10%, I reckon you will lose around 1-2% of customers with this level of increase, so expect the one from 50 to become 4 or 5 from 250,  stil a good winner, +£ 245 monthly gain, lost £40-£50 monthly
The Stupid Neither Forgive Nor Forget
The Naive Forgive And Forget
The Wise Forgive But Don't Forget

Plankton

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 08:57:45 pm »
No what I meant is writing on the slip to say "price changes next month, up by £1.00"
My wife does email some though but I think with the text it's to easy, like there's no reality/no thought about what their doing. Especially if you catch them at the wrong time, it's just an automatic fook you then I'm cancelling!

Spotfree

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 09:03:40 pm »
It's also an excuse for those wanting to jump ship anyway.

I feel like sticking a few quid on here and there now...

zesty

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2019, 09:13:50 pm »

Mate, these sort of people are the most annoying.

It’s a flipping pound, and they cancel! Never mind it being a 10% rise, ITS A POUND!!!

As you can tell, I have no time for this type of customer 😁

P @ F

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2019, 09:15:20 pm »
I’m thinking the same  ;D
Last one I did was end of January 17 , about 300 up by 1 or 2 quid , didn’t lose any but had 1 grumble !

I’m still cheaper than I should be but that is a rod I made for my own back over the last 15 years , by the time I put the next rise on I will be back on par I reckon

chris turner

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2019, 09:34:20 pm »
I put my prices up by £1 a while ago, didn't even tell the customers, Just added £1 on to every bill. So far know one has said a thing.
Honestly why do we even need to tell them about a price rise? It's not as if their signed up to a contract with us. Prices go up all the time, it's called inflation or something right? As far as I'm aware every single service I use ( that I'm not contracted to ) and every single product I buy put their prices up all the time without sending me a txt.
Just whack the prices up, if they query it then give them an explanation, if they don't then happy days.

zesty

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2019, 09:36:37 pm »
I put my prices up by £1 a while ago, didn't even tell the customers, Just added £1 on to every bill. So far know one has said a thing.
Honestly why do we even need to tell them about a price rise? It's not as if their signed up to a contract with us. Prices go up all the time, it's called inflation or something right? As far as I'm aware every single service I use ( that I'm not contracted to ) and every single product I buy put their prices up all the time without sending me a txt.
Just whack the prices up, if they query it then give them an explanation, if they don't then happy days.

I’m the same mate, I just add it to the bill. I’ve never told a customer in person before doing it.

dazmond

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2019, 10:45:59 pm »

personally i think its the wrong time of year to be putting up prices....mine go up in april as the weathers changing for the better and customers are looking forward to the summer and lighter nights but obviously its up to you....
price higher/work harder!

chris turner

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2019, 11:13:44 pm »

absolutely bang out of order in my book,no way would i just put my customers prices up without telling them....... ::)roll

if you were my window cleaner id dump you without a doubt...id think you were a cheeky F**ker...... ;D

I don't cover council estates so your fine there daz  ;)

I'm well within my right to put my prices up without informing anyone. The same as the Customers have their right to move to another company if they so wish without any exit fees, final payments or giving me any good reason, because there is no contract.
If I did have customers such as yourself daz who decided to ditch me over a £1 rise, well goodriddance I say.

nathankaye

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2019, 11:39:37 pm »

absolutely bang out of order in my book,no way would i just put my customers prices up without telling them....... ::)roll

if you were my window cleaner id dump you without a doubt...id think you were a cheeky F**ker...... ;D

I'm well within my right to put my prices up without informing anyone. The same as the Customers have their right to move to another company if they so wish without any exit fees, final payments or giving me any good reason, because there is no contract.
If I did have customers such as yourself daz who decided to ditch me over a £1 rise, well goodriddance I say.

Agree with you daz!
The customer is expecting you to clean their windows on a time frame agreed upon by YOU and a price agreed upon by YOU. 
For you to suddenly change that price without their agreement, is totally wrong in all moral sense. The excuse your saying doesnt fit the example.  You walk into a supermarket and the see the prices, you are well within your rights to turn around and go elsewhere.  Yet, YOU have that choice as you see the prices and are informed and the same is true on many services etc, where you can ask the price.  Here you have turned up, provided the service and then in essence depand a new price without any new agreement or choice being given.  Yet they can have the choice to turn you away without payment and im sure you would be disgruntled at that as well.

Unless this is a complete wind up for people like me n daz to take the baite.......doh
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

chris turner

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2019, 11:41:36 pm »

of course its up to you....but your not doing much for "customer rapport" doing things like that.....its just not something i would do personally.....i just think people who do that are a bit of a c*nt! ;D

It's a £1 every year or so daz, nothing to cry about is it. My way of building rapport is by always doing a grand job, being honest, polite and trustworthy. Once you build that sort of respect with customers then most will happily take the price rise, even without being informed. 
Anyone with common sense expects prices to rise, its life. They can question it, I will inform why my prices have gone up, they can decide if they want to continue with me or go elsewhere.
Yet not one single customer has said a thing. Havnt lost any and havnt had to explain why I added £1.

chris turner

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2019, 12:02:26 am »

Agree with you daz!
The customer is expecting you to clean their windows on a time frame agreed upon by YOU and a price agreed upon by YOU. 
For you to suddenly change that price without their agreement, is totally wrong in all moral sense. The excuse your saying doesnt fit the example.  You walk into a supermarket and the see the prices, you are well within your rights to turn around and go elsewhere.  Yet, YOU have that choice as you see the prices and are informed and the same is true on many services etc, where you can ask the price.  Here you have turned up, provided the service and then in essence depand a new price without any new agreement or choice being given.  Yet they can have the choice to turn you away without payment and im sure you would be disgruntled at that as well.

Unless this is a complete wind up for people like me n daz to take the baite.......doh

If a customer sees the £1 added to their bill, emails me and says "not happy,  I will pay the old price then I'm finding a new window cleaner", then fine I wont argue with them.
Know one does though.
I think the key here is the £1. 1 being the smallest number, a number that people naturally look at as almost nothing, because it is almost nothing. So they think "oh he"s put his prices up by £1, suppose that's not to bad". They don't query it because its not worth querying, as long as you don't hike it up to often of course ). I find evry 14 months works very well, its longer then a year, at which point customers almost begin to expect it.

Let's be clear here though, if I was to put up prices considerably ( which I did 4 years ago )then I would inform beforehand.

Jonny 87

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2019, 07:14:00 am »
The ones that get me, at the ones that try to work out what percent of an increase it is.

I don’t put my prices up every year. Far from it in some cases. ( I need to be more ruthless).

But say an £9 house goes to £10, they have said .......”that’s more than 12% increase! That’s massive!”

Er......... no, it’s £1. Would they rather ever year I increased it by 20p or something. Madness.

Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

dazmond

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2019, 08:09:59 am »
just my opinion but i think its sneaky and sly to put a customers price up without informing them....also putting prices up every year(or 14 months)is just TOO often.....even raising prices every 3 years i get customers thinking it was only last year since the last increase.....every year then they would think i was taking the pee.....

zesty

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2019, 08:11:26 am »
I find the same Chris, whenever I’ve rasied prices by a pound, I’ve never had anyone question it, and i don’t let them know, I simply put the new price on the ticket.

I haven’t got all my customers contact details, so wouldn’t be able to text or email them all anyway.

I have a great relationship with my customers, if they’re in, than I say ‘just to let you know it’s going up a pound’ but if no one is in, it’s just written on the ticket.

dazmond

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2019, 08:14:06 am »
The ones that get me, at the ones that try to work out what percent of an increase it is.

I don’t put my prices up every year. Far from it in some cases. ( I need to be more ruthless).

But say an £9 house goes to £10, they have said .......”that’s more than 12% increase! That’s massive!”

Er......... no, it’s £1. Would they rather ever year I increased it by 20p or something. Madness.

yep i hate that too.....ill be putting lots of jobs up £1/£2/£5....the £5 rises will be on larger jobs that have been the same price for  years.......

AuRavelling79

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2019, 09:15:26 am »

Is it "our house in the middle of our street?"
It's a game of three halves!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2019, 09:21:00 am »
Anyway ...

If I tell a customer my price is (say) £20 to do their house on a regular basis then that is what I have agreed. For me to change it without informing them beforehand is not ethical. It doesn't matter if my price goes up a penny or a tenner.

I don't change an agreement without informing the other person about it beforehand as that is how I would like to be treated.

chris turner

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2019, 10:22:04 am »
If you go about 'announcing' a £1 increase to your customers, they are more likely to question it or look around for a better deal. We all hate the words "price increase", so when we see those words in a txt or letter, even a small increase such as £1 can suddenly seem like a big deal.
By simply adding it to their bill, I'm not making a big deal about it and so they don't either, they just accept it because anyone with any sense knows that prices naturally rise.
Customers are free to cancel our service any time they wish without any valid reason or explanation,  just as we are free to change our prices anytime we wish without any explanation.
If I walk into costa, order my usual morning latte, go to the til to pay only to find out the price has gone up by 10p, do I think its unethical that I havnt been informed beforehand of the price increase? No. I simply pay the bill, walk away and then I'm free to decide if I want to continue using costa for my caffeine fix or find somewhere cheaper.
I continue using costa however because I prefer their coffee over Starbucks etc but I can change my mind whenever I like.

Without any contractual agreement between us and the customer then our situation is no different.
I don't think it is unethical personally, we are free to decide how we run our business and the customer is free to decide whether they want to use our service or not.

Stoots

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2019, 03:50:31 pm »
If you go about 'announcing' a £1 increase to your customers, they are more likely to question it or look around for a better deal. We all hate the words "price increase", so when we see those words in a txt or letter, even a small increase such as £1 can suddenly seem like a big deal.
By simply adding it to their bill, I'm not making a big deal about it and so they don't either, they just accept it because anyone with any sense knows that prices naturally rise.
Customers are free to cancel our service any time they wish without any valid reason or explanation,  just as we are free to change our prices anytime we wish without any explanation.
If I walk into costa, order my usual morning latte, go to the til to pay only to find out the price has gone up by 10p, do I think its unethical that I havnt been informed beforehand of the price increase? No. I simply pay the bill, walk away and then I'm free to decide if I want to continue using costa for my caffeine fix or find somewhere cheaper.
I continue using costa however because I prefer their coffee over Starbucks etc but I can change my mind whenever I like.

Without any contractual agreement between us and the customer then our situation is no different.
I don't think it is unethical personally, we are free to decide how we run our business and the customer is free to decide whether they want to use our service or not.

I don't really agree

You are right, when you inform them there is a chance they will cancel as I'm sure most of us have found out.

However I'm almost certain i would have more cancels from just putting the price up unannounced.

I've had it before where I've accidentally put the wrong price on a slip and the customer has pulled me up on it and questioned why. And that's just with the odd error. If I suddenly stuck 300 up without telling them I am certain I would get a few disgruntled customers.

You are wrong about not having a contract.  You agree to clean for X amount every 4 weeks. That's a verbal contract, sure they can cancel anytime but you would expect them to at least tell you they had cancelled otherwise you would clean their windows as agreed and expect to be paid.

If you are changing the terms of your agreement then surely you need to inform them to give them a chance to agree or disagree.

It's cheeky as feck imo, I wouldn't be right impressed if my window cleaner did that, it's not the money but the lack of common decency.

An example of this recently actually...I used a canvasser last year and paid him 2x.

He asked if I wanted a bit more doing some months later, I agreed for a small amount canvassing (only about £50 of work)

When he sent me the bill he was demanding 3x. When I asked him he said oh my prices have gone up at Christmas. At no point did he tell me that and do you think I paid him ? Not a chance, cheeky get didn't get any money from me.

It's just plain rude mate and a good way to pee them off.

dazmond

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2019, 04:21:35 pm »
as ive said before on this thread its sly and sneaky to just put their price up without informing them IMO........

chris turner

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2019, 04:46:40 pm »
Each to their own. Works for me and that's all that matters.

chris turner

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2019, 04:53:26 pm »

I don't really agree

You are right, when you inform them there is a chance they will cancel as I'm sure most of us have found out.

However I'm almost certain i would have more cancels from just putting the price up unannounced.

I've had it before where I've accidentally put the wrong price on a slip and the customer has pulled me up on it and questioned why. And that's just with the odd error. If I suddenly stuck 300 up without telling them I am certain I would get a few disgruntled customers.

You are wrong about not having a contract.  You agree to clean for X amount every 4 weeks. That's a verbal contract, sure they can cancel anytime but you would expect them to at least tell you they had cancelled otherwise you would clean their windows as agreed and expect to be paid.

If you are changing the terms of your agreement then surely you need to inform them to give them a chance to agree or disagree.

It's cheeky as feck imo, I wouldn't be right impressed if my window cleaner did that, it's not the money but the lack of common decency.

An example of this recently actually...I used a canvasser last year and paid him 2x.

He asked if I wanted a bit more doing some months later, I agreed for a small amount canvassing (only about £50 of work)

When he sent me the bill he was demanding 3x. When I asked him he said oh my prices have gone up at Christmas. At no point did he tell me that and do you think I paid him ? Not a chance, cheeky get didn't get any money from me.

Adding £1 to their bill is me informing them of changes to our agreement ;D
They can then decide if they would like to continue with me or go elsewhere, as per my costa example above.
As much as you think this is wrong, why has know one, not 1 single customer, said anything to me?

Stoots

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2019, 04:57:38 pm »

I don't really agree

Adding £1 to their bill is me informing them of changes to our agreement ;D
They can then decide if they would like to continue with me or go elsewhere, as per my costa example above.
As much as you think this is wrong, why has know one, not 1 single customer, said anything to me?

lol well the canvasser i used also informed me of his changes, but it was a bit to late and he didnt get anything for his cheek.

I would expect the same from a customer, to be told where to stick it!

I dont know the answer mate, but i know some of mine would as they have in the past.

It doesnt matter though, we are all different and just do what works for us.

Smudger

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2019, 05:19:18 pm »
Costa may put their prices up - however the price is clearly displayed before purchase

If it works for you that's what counts but it's not for me

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

nathankaye

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2019, 05:31:31 pm »
The part I dont understand is where you say you are providing a honest and reliable service and they like you for that. This is commendable, however where is the honesty in cleaning and then asking for a higher price for that clean?  Thats not honest in any way you look at it.

Not many will argue with a pound increase and lets face it, paying a window cleaner is not high on their priority. In fact I have a customer who, everytime i text about the gate, she always asks how much is it again (so she can leave the money out).  Would it be fair or honest of me, to change the price to suit my needs, knowing she has forgotten?
You may get away with it, for the very same reasons because as you have said, its only a pound difference.  Yet, this does not mean its being honest and fair!  It says alot really in my mind but each to their own I suppose
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Martin Lane

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2019, 06:47:59 pm »
Why not just put a letter  through their door saying as from next month the price will increase by a £1, this way you are letting them know in advance of their clean, they then have the right to stop you or most would just forget about it and let you carry on.

hotsteam

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2019, 07:25:17 pm »
Why not just put a letter  through their door saying as from next month the price will increase by a £1, this way you are letting them know in advance of their clean, they then have the right to stop you or most would just forget about it and let you carry on.

Yes I did that last week, it's giving them notice of the increase, which they can opt out, or just continue !
I cant remember anyone cancelling ! ::)roll ::)roll ::)roll

chris turner

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2019, 07:43:01 pm »
I guess me and zesty are evil, despicable human beings then  ;D
Hey ho, its a slighlty more ethical way to make money then human trafficking, so I think il carry on.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2019, 08:03:52 pm »
That’s what I do, or if they are in I just tell them.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2019, 08:31:09 pm »
Now I think that's too far the other way Gomo. If The rate was 2X and he did the work then he should get 2X whether he is a cheeky/unethical "get" or not.

If Chris Turner put a slip through my door with an extra £1 on it with no notice then I would offer to pay the original amount - not nothing whatsoever.

Simon Trapani

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2019, 08:31:23 pm »
That's what we do too but it is time consuming. Aworka, & I assume Cleaner Planner & the like, can do price rises in bulk with various options.

I was considering just putting them up next time without saying anything but after all what's been said here I think it's probably better to pre-warn.

chris turner

« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2019, 08:53:26 pm »
That's what we do too but it is time consuming. Aworka, & I assume Cleaner Planner & the like, can do price rises in bulk with various options.

I was considering just putting them up next time without saying anything but after all what's been said here I think it's probably better to pre-warn.

Honestly mate save yourself the ballache and just put them up, most customers wont bat an eyelid.
If you do get a couple query it then explain yourself but you still would of saved yourself alot of time and hassle.

Johnny B

« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2019, 09:13:18 pm »

Is it "our house in the middle of our street?"

Could be "Arlington House (address no fixed abode) ... Trying to remember one better day."

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

P @ F

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2019, 09:42:46 pm »
The part I dont understand is where you say you are providing a honest and reliable service and they like you for that. This is commendable, however where is the honesty in cleaning and then asking for a higher price for that clean?  Thats not honest in any way you look at it.

Not many will argue with a pound increase and lets face it, paying a window cleaner is not high on their priority. In fact I have a customer who, everytime i text about the gate, she always asks how much is it again (so she can leave the money out).  Would it be fair or honest of me, to change the price to suit my needs, knowing she has forgotten?
You may get away with it, for the very same reasons because as you have said, its only a pound difference.  Yet, this does not mean its being honest and fair!  It says alot really in my mind but each to their own I suppose

Do you want a waffle with your Costa Nath.   ;D ;D ;D

kiral1404

« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2019, 10:34:08 pm »
I tend to print an additional slip put in with the invoice, stating as of your next clean the price will rise by a £1 bug this will be guaranteed for 2 years.
Got a few cancellations first few times. Last time I did it, got 1 cancellation.
Customers appreciate and like the 2 year guarantee bit

nathankaye

« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2019, 10:41:34 pm »

Do you want a waffle with your Costa Nath.   ;D ;D ;D
thats the bit you want to pick fault at
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

P @ F

« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2019, 07:49:37 am »
I always have a waffle with my coffee  , lots of maple syrup too!

dazmond

« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2019, 08:04:56 am »
the only thing i think that cleaner planner is lacking is a price increase template(that you could put your logo on like the invoices)to print off and post/give/email to customers......

Stoots

« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2019, 08:44:47 am »
I've printed off about 30 letters for those that I have no contact number or just a landline.

But text was the easiest way. Did them all in one click via cleaner planner/text local.

So far just the one cancel, still got a few more to do though

johnwillan

« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2019, 10:06:17 pm »
We increase our rates in line with inflation, Aworka enables us to set parameters i.e round up/maintain etc it remembers these increments and applies them to future rates i.e not everyones price increases each year.

We then update our courtesy text to include "with a small increase to £X"

We get the very occasional issue which is dealt with accordingly i.e. sometimes we concede but adjust next time.

johnny bravo

« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2019, 09:23:50 pm »
once you put them up if someone else comes round canvassing  they may be tempted.    This day and age lots of people loosing jobs,  bills  all rising.     they may prioritise where  there money goes.       we do get a great wage for what we do.      I have a chap who works offshore,  I cleaned a house he is selling.     Away from my area.     Never been cleaned for years.    I charged him £25,   he says that was expensive.     I didn't reply.     He thinks only certain people should get good pay.     arse
I say those days are gone, flat cap, bucket soapy water, ladders,      off to pub etc.   Totally different now.  Big business now.