Suffolkcleaners

NON-PAYER-ADVISE PLEASE
« on: June 10, 2016, 12:35:05 pm »
Hi Guys,

It's been some years since I have had a non payer but would like your thoughts please...

I picked up a new customer on the 25TH April and it was agreed I would do 4 weekly at £18.00 per clean(With the exception of the first clean as they were really bad-so we agreed on £25.00 for the first clean) it's a 4/5 bed detached house on 3 floors with about 15 windows and 3 sky roofs on top..

left bill and no payment for a few weeks but had an email from the wife(who is the one who emailed originally to sort me doing the windows)apologising saying they lost the bill I put through the door so can I please send bank details and they will transfer.. I sent bank details straight away. Still no payment was received the day before I was due, so I emailed saying please could they ensure bill is settled as we are due again tomorrow and ideally need payment before the second clean..

I turned up the next day and she was home so I knocked first. I explained I sent email requesting payment and she said her husband had paid last night for both cleans as she said she received my email so they paid for both.(It's now the original £25.00 plus the £18.00 so now a total of £43.00...) I had checked my bank that morning and couldn't see the payment so I gave her the benefit of the doubt but gut instinct telling me she was lying. So I just said " Ok fair enough it obviously hasn't hit my account yet and may take a few days" so I went ahead and cleaned a second time.

A few days go by(maybe 3-4 days) still no payment so I emailed again asking her to double check with her husband and asking whether it was an international payment or something as it hadn't hit my account- NO REPLY..

So I left it a good 7-10 days and as I was working in the area (she didn't know that) I knocked on the door. They didn't answer and were 100% home as could hear the husband talking in the downstairs hall near the front door. I rang the doorbell 3 times.. I was a little annoyed after leaving so before I left I put yet another bill through the door with a note requesting they settle bill within 7 days, i also sent an email alongside the note saying:

"Hi Claire

I have made a special trip today to collect outstanding payment of 43 pounds which is still due. As you can appreciate we have done the work and we now need payment. Payment has not reached our account so we therefore please ask you settle via bank transfer or post a cheque within the next 7 days. We have again left another card. We have had no response to the previous email and this has now cost us more money and time chasing this payment. Please confirm back once payment has been made" Best Regards......

Now I know perhaps my words are not perfect as never great and handling situations like this but what shall I do?

I have read posts before where people just say let it go but why should I? It's now 7 days and still no payment.

I knew she was lying when she said her husband had paid. I can't explain it but I just knew from the type of person she appeared to be.

I have heard there is some form of letter I could get out to her that costs a few pounds? What would be the appropriate step to take next? I don't want to have to go round again and collect as they are not answering. Big detached house with two BMW's on the drive. I could quite easily start getting stroppy but don't want them to get threatening with me.

What would you guys do as the next step?

Thanks in advance :-)

Rob clarke

Re: NON-PAYER-ADVISE PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 12:46:25 pm »
Hi Guys,

It's been some years since I have had a non payer but would like your thoughts please...

I picked up a new customer on the 25TH April and it was agreed I would do 4 weekly at £18.00 per clean(With the exception of the first clean as they were really bad-so we agreed on £25.00 for the first clean) it's a 4/5 bed detached house on 3 floors with about 15 windows and 3 sky roofs on top..

left bill and no payment for a few weeks but had an email from the wife(who is the one who emailed originally to sort me doing the windows)apologising saying they lost the bill I put through the door so can I please send bank details and they will transfer.. I sent bank details straight away. Still no payment was received the day before I was due, so I emailed saying please could they ensure bill is settled as we are due again tomorrow and ideally need payment before the second clean..

I turned up the next day and she was home so I knocked first. I explained I sent email requesting payment and she said her husband had paid last night for both cleans as she said she received my email so they paid for both.(It's now the original £25.00 plus the £18.00 so now a total of £43.00...) I had checked my bank that morning and couldn't see the payment so I gave her the benefit of the doubt but gut instinct telling me she was lying. So I just said " Ok fair enough it obviously hasn't hit my account yet and may take a few days" so I went ahead and cleaned a second time.

A few days go by(maybe 3-4 days) still no payment so I emailed again asking her to double check with her husband and asking whether it was an international payment or something as it hadn't hit my account- NO REPLY..

So I left it a good 7-10 days and as I was working in the area (she didn't know that) I knocked on the door. They didn't answer and were 100% home as could hear the husband talking in the downstairs hall near the front door. I rang the doorbell 3 times.. I was a little annoyed after leaving so before I left I put yet another bill through the door with a note requesting they settle bill within 7 days, i also sent an email alongside the note saying:

"Hi Claire

I have made a special trip today to collect outstanding payment of 43 pounds which is still due. As you can appreciate we have done the work and we now need payment. Payment has not reached our account so we therefore please ask you settle via bank transfer or post a cheque within the next 7 days. We have again left another card. We have had no response to the previous email and this has now cost us more money and time chasing this payment. Please confirm back once payment has been made" Best Regards......

Now I know perhaps my words are not perfect as never great and handling situations like this but what shall I do?

I have read posts before where people just say let it go but why should I? It's now 7 days and still no payment.

I knew she was lying when she said her husband had paid. I can't explain it but I just knew from the type of person she appeared to be.

I have heard there is some form of letter I could get out to her that costs a few pounds? What would be the appropriate step to take next? I don't want to have to go round again and collect as they are not answering. Big detached house with two BMW's on the drive. I could quite easily start getting stroppy but don't want them to get threatening with me.

What would you guys do as the next step?

Thanks in advance :-)

Had this a few years ago after leafleting and got a text asking to clean windows, I never got paid, I knocked a few times but they wouldn't answer and ignored my texts and phone calls, I thought about putting a brick through window tbh  >:( but came to my senses and left it as I knew I'd be the one getting arrested even though they'd ripped me off, I now just think its part of the job sometimes not nice I know but people will do it to you every now then especially the way people are nowadays.

Rob

Rob clarke

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 01:18:27 pm »
I now also live 2 doors away from someone who didn't pay for their first clean 12 years ago I think she probably knows who I am but I've never said anything and just say hi when I see her lol

PCM LTD

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 01:37:54 pm »
Park your van across their driveway so they can't move their cars out and lock it up.
When they call....and they will. Just ask for payment via cash and you will move it. :)

SeanK

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 02:04:18 pm »
Normally my response would be to let this go as it will cost you more in time and hassle than the money you might get back,
but the fact they conned you into the second clean makes my blood boil.
Send them a letter explaining that you wouldn't normally chase such small amounts but because they deliberately stole the cleans
you will not be letting this one go and the first step will be the small claims plus whatever it takes thereafter.
Make sure your letter is both firm and professional.

SeanK

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 02:09:59 pm »
Park your van across their driveway so they can't move their cars out and lock it up.
When they call....and they will. Just ask for payment via cash and you will move it. :)

You do realise that you can get into serious trouble for doing something like that and will be liable for any losses they might
incur because of it.
Never hand something like that to these type of scumbags.

supernova77

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 02:15:24 pm »
Just go back and "unclean" their windows.

:)

Ste b

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2016, 02:17:41 pm »

You do realise that you can get into serious trouble for doing something like that and will be liable for any losses they might
incur because of it.
Never hand something like that to these type of scumbags.

True...

but you can park it across the drive to stop them getting onto it.

That isn't illegal
The purpose of life is to have a life full of purpose

AuRavelling79

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 02:38:09 pm »
You should never take a toothpick, ram it deep into a Yale lock and break it off. That would mean a locksmith would need to be called.

Don't to that.
It's a game of three halves!

jk999

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2016, 02:48:37 pm »
I know someone once couldn't get payment for house, he found out they we're moving they moved most of their stuff one night except for a big shed in garden so he dismantled it took it home posted letter through letter box once payment received he would give back shed .he got his money lol

Suffolkcleaners

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2016, 03:09:05 pm »
Thanks Guys,

Any ideas on how I can word the letter? Does anyone have any examples I can please use? It's needs to be firm and professional and enough to make them hopefully cough up :-)

Suffolkcleaners

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2016, 03:10:37 pm »
PS email would be better as I have her email address and would be a lot quicker from my end. Or maybe a letter is more formal?

Suffolkcleaners

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2016, 03:21:26 pm »
Forgot to ask if anyone has ever used Thomas Higgins? I know you can just pay £2.00 for the stage 1 process which would hopefully be enough to make them cough up but if it goes to stage 2 and beyond it sounds like a headache. Would it be worth trying stage 1 of this in the hope they cough up?

DaveG

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2016, 03:31:45 pm »
I've used Thomas Higgins with great success.

You need the customers full name and address inc postcode and they do the rest.
You can't polish a turd

Suffolkcleaners

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2016, 03:55:51 pm »
Ok thanks Dave G.. I was thinking about sending one final email to give them one last chance before calling Thomas Higgins.. Any ideas how to word it in a professional manner? I will let them know in the final email that it will be passed over to the solicitors but how do I go about wording it?

8weekly

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2016, 04:17:36 pm »
NOTICE OF INTENDED COURT PROCEEDINGS

TAKE NOTICE that according to our records the sum of £43 is overdue for payment despite previous reminders.

Unless payment is made to the above address within FOURTEEN days legal action to recover the debt will be taken against you without further notice. This may affect your credit rating. The costs associated with legal proceedings must also be paid by you in addition to the debt.

A printed copy of the statements are attached. I look forward to your immediate payment.

*Hector*

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2016, 04:18:55 pm »
At the top of the letter put in capitals
LETTER BEFORE ACTION

Then something along the lines of
Dear Mr and Mrs scammer,
this is a letter before action for the recovery of £43 for the cleaning of the windows of ********* their address............ twice.

After numerous attempts to collect the sum owed and numerous excuses by yourselves, I would require the full sum paid into the bank account .............. by end of 7 days from receipt of this notice. Failure to do so will result in a claim being filed with the small claims court, for the outstanding amount and all costs incurred therein.

Yours Sincerely p1$$ed of window licker......

You must however be prepared to file the claim... it is easy enough to do online..

Oh and send it by email and post, but get proof of posting (free) from the post office.
Everyday this forum slips further from God.  :'(

*Hector*

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2016, 04:19:21 pm »
Oops Steve beat me to it..

;D ;D
Everyday this forum slips further from God.  :'(

Tosh

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2016, 04:20:21 pm »
You should never take a toothpick, ram it deep into a Yale lock and break it off. That would mean a locksmith would need to be called.

Don't to that.

I know someone who knew it was wrong to squirt a small amount of super-glue in to an offending customers lock as well.
*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

nathankaye

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2016, 07:38:23 pm »
In any other business, if goods or services were no longer paid for. The company in question would take action and perhaps reclaim the product etc.
Its with this thinking in mind i have come very close many a times to reclaim unpaid cleans by using hand pump garden sprayers with dirty water in and respray the windows. Reclaim a clean a time and see them pay.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Og

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2016, 08:09:43 pm »
Ro waste?

tlwcs

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2016, 08:26:22 pm »
Ro waste?

Ro waste would be too good and not worth the effort as it may cause a few spots, but from minging to a bit spotty, they can live with that.
Brush in soil on uppers and or take your lunch in the van outside their house and let everybody know they owe you
Tonŷ

AuRavelling79

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2016, 10:19:27 pm »
Or hand deliver the "You owe money" letter to the next door neighbour with a named and addressed letter inside an unsealed envelope that simply has "from the window cleaner" on the outside.

The neighbour will open it read that it is to his neighbour and take it round to him as it was delivered by "mistake." Your scamming customer will then know the neighbour is aware of him having a debt to the window cleaner.

If the scammer wants to know why it was put through the wrong door then just say you asked one of your staff to drop it in and they obviously put it through the wrong door.

It's a game of three halves!

David Beecroft

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2016, 10:54:55 pm »
After taking all reasonable steps both legally & professionally, if you don't get paid , move on.
In the grand scheme of things £43 isn't a lot and people like that will reap what they sow in the long run.
Don't let yourself be drawn into pursuing a course that leaves you as morally deficient as they are.
We've all been let down by customers at times, its just a part of life in this old world. Hey ho.

Tom White

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2016, 05:11:02 pm »
You could just stab him in the face with a hot soldiering iron.

Saves all that messing about.

elite mike

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2016, 06:41:32 pm »

lol your not back on the pop again are you ?   ;) 

duncan h

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2016, 06:59:18 pm »
had it quite a few times on first cleans and such. Had new customer other day. Came out paid cash and asked if I could do all plastic for extra. Did some and said I would do it next time with chemicals.
As I drove off, the local ladder windy had a good look. Only looked 16. 1 hour later she texts saying hubby already sorted one out. Texed back saying 1 off clean is doulble...no reply

Get loads doing first clean then not paying. Feel  like bricking every one of them. Too many cctv's about. Toothpick in lock sounds good. Have to watch out for cameras and people though

Tom White

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2016, 08:03:29 pm »

What makes you think that?  Have I spelt something incorrectly or is it the perceived difficulty in getting customer, soldiering iron and plug socket all in the same vicinity?

Screwfix do a portable one for £34 that's powered by butane gas; and no, I've not been sniffing that either. ;D

elite mike

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2016, 08:10:15 pm »

What makes you think that?  Have I spelt something incorrectly or is it the perceived difficulty in getting customer, soldiering iron and plug socket all in the same vicinity?

Screwfix do a portable one for £34 that's powered by butane gas; and no, I've not been sniffing that either. ;D

lol must have a catch up , pop in or i will we can discuss pylon painting  ;) and why have you unfriended me o n fb ? 

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2016, 09:00:04 pm »
hoody with a small hole cut in the side to poke a barrel out of , then simply walk pass at night with a powered water pistol full of brake fluid job done

nathankaye

« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2016, 09:13:19 pm »
Some people on here scare me
Lol  ;D
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Tom White

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2016, 10:18:18 pm »
Don't do the old 'strew a handful of carpet tacks all over their drive'. ;)

To be honest, I'm just being an idiot here; it's very rare we get ripped off and I'm happy enough to just let it go.  Your customer has taken your money - deal with it how you see best (even if it means going down the legal route) - but DON'T let your ex-customer take your peace of mind too.

Stoots

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2016, 11:23:17 pm »
I've contemplated small claims court and I've thought about revenge or violence. But in all cases I've just left it. I've got a fair few that never paid.

If it was a significant amount I would go to small claims without doubt but the odd tenner it's really not worth the stress.

Stoots

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2016, 11:27:17 pm »
hoody with a small hole cut in the side to poke a barrel out of , then simply walk pass at night with a powered water pistol full of brake fluid job done

Brake fluid? What does this do?

Sounds pretty good. 

Rob clarke

« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2016, 07:59:34 am »

Sounds pretty good.
It strips the paint off cars  ;D lol

Tom White

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2016, 10:07:58 am »

Sounds pretty good.

I bet you'd feel bad about it after though.  And is anyone really so sneaky and cowardly to do this kind of thing?

I'd rather just confront the customer.

I have one who I've left a message on their phone about payment; I'll phone them again this week.  If there's no joy I'll just make their address part of my running route and keep knocking till I speak to the guy, face-to-face.

duncan h

« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2016, 11:24:15 am »
Thought of that, but would end up dripping onto my van lmao

Ste b

« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2016, 04:11:20 pm »

Sounds pretty good.

I've got 4 bottles I bought by mistake if anyone wants one 😀
The purpose of life is to have a life full of purpose

Stoots

« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2016, 10:54:56 pm »

Sounds pretty good.

i know that,  but what effect does it have on glass and upvc?

Stoots

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2016, 10:57:43 pm »

Sounds pretty good.

I bet you'd feel bad about it after though.  And is anyone really so sneaky and cowardly to do this kind of thing?

I have one who I've left a message on their phone about payment; I'll phone them again this week.  If there's no joy I'll just make their address part of my running route and keep knocking till I speak to the guy, face-to-face.

I had one recently, a first clean that took me and hour, i called round, text and called, he claimed his wife had paid she hadnt.
He insists she has but wont show me proof, so now what?

small claims or revenge are the only options it seems

Tom White

« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2016, 06:59:00 am »
small claims or revenge are the only options it seems

A lack of options usually stems from a lack of imagination.

You could just 'let it go'.  Yeh, I know, it seems like the weak option, but try it; it takes some strength to do it in reality.

Saying that, I usually go down the 'harbouring a grudge and thinking of revenge route' before I let it go. 

Another option is to go down the legal route, but still kinda 'let it go'.   

I think the point I'm clumsily trying to make is that they've taken our time and effort, don't let 'em take our peace of mind too.

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2016, 07:44:14 pm »

Sounds pretty good.

feel bad no not at all, even better when you do it the second time after 8 0r 9 months go buy after they have had it in the paint shop and had it put right ,

Tom White

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2016, 08:11:25 pm »

Sounds pretty good.

feel bad no not at all, even better when you do it the second time after 8 0r 9 months go buy after they have had it in the paint shop and had it put right ,

I bet you're a lady who keeps a lot of cats.  Or staffies.

G Griffin

« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2016, 08:24:06 pm »
Have you ever been involved in a shootout with a likeminded customer as a result of doing this?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Tosh

« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2016, 09:03:47 pm »

That is a truly stupid and idiotic thing to write. If that were ever done, 8 or 9 months down the line with the vehicle having already been repaired, you would deserve everything that you get as a result. Karma is a wonderful concept for people like you.
*A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE - THE SHORT STORY* 'Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.'

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2016, 06:36:44 pm »
lol you guys need to go out more

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2016, 02:10:29 pm »
the best way is to try to focus on not letting it happen again.

we make all new customers pay by DD and set it up before we book in their first clean

its not a big amount of money they owe in the scene of things so its more sensible to focus your energy on making a clear business decision like i have mentioned.

it is bloody frustrating though.
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk