james roffey

Crazy Prices
« on: July 11, 2011, 08:29:00 am »
I quoted recently for a very large domestic, it was an amazing house with over 1900 sq ft of carpets only the bedrooms as he had stone flooring downstairs.
The carpet was a wool berber covered in stains like makeup in the kids rooms and urine in other areas plus the rooms were very cluttered and he wanted every inch cleaned i charge 0.35 per ft so it came in at over £600 i was not going to discount much as it involved a lot of work, when i told him the price he said that he had the same area done last year for about £140   :o  he then went on to question me about my profit margins etc and how i could justify such a high price.
I asked him who it was and he gave me the name of a local guy who i know and he uses a truckmount, i always thought that the point of a truckmount was to still charge the same or more but get the work done quicker, not charge less then have to do four times the work.
Isn't it weird how some customers will pay your prices and some wont, i think i have a good conversion rate but this guy actually said i am tight for cash at the moment ! this house he had designed and had it built had every conceivable luxury, the upstairs landing was over 60 ft.
My wife said i should have told him he needs to downscale if he cant afford to have his carpets cleaned ;D

PS The guy who quoted £140 does not frequent this forum.

Helen

Re: crazy prices
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 09:07:22 am »
*Maybe the custie didn't quite tell the truth about the £140
*Maybe the other carpet cleaner didn't go and see it before he quoted and felt he had to honour a price given over the phone.
*Maybe there wasn't all the mess over the carpets last year

None of his business what your profit margins are....cheeky so & so :)

Your wife is right ;D.....always ;D

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 09:09:01 am »
£600 for that size of job is a bit stiff, IMO, that's £3.15ppm, but there again £140 is way too little.

Simon

david hutchieson

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 09:27:28 am »
Everybody gets this.

Sometimes the ones who haggle from the start end up being the biggest pains. They want every stain out whether you tell them it is impossible or not.

If you need the money, drop the price. If you don“t, RUN!

I had one last year just like him. 6 months later they phoned up and asked me to come in because the cheapo didn“t do it to their satisfaction.

Just remember to stick to your guns as much as you can. There is always someone out there who will do it cheaper. The most important thing is not to p off a potential customer by telling him he is stupid by going with the cheaper price. Wish him well and say you are sure the other company will do a good job. It is amazing how many come back to you the next time as they see you are professional.

Good luck

Billy Russell

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 09:42:51 am »
The only thing that springs out to me is why didn't they ask him back this year???? hhhhhhhmmmmmmm  ;D

Doug Holloway

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 11:01:50 am »
Hi guys

It is amazing that he can get someone to TM clean his carpets for about 65p a m2 and he stll wants it cheaper.

Jim, he sounds like more hassle than he's worth, glad he didn't ring me!

Cheers

Doug

Paul Simpson

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 11:55:04 am »
Probably a bit higher than I would have charged but like Billy & Doug have said does he really believe he is going to get it cheaper, if not then why not get them back. Unless he wasn't happy with the work they did.

In the last few months I've had 2 high end customers I've priced for which sound similar to yours, same price area for both, got one but not the other.
You will always get some not willing to pay no matter how much money they appear to have.

mathewl

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 12:42:10 pm »
Yeah man its bit too much. one must do the survey on different cleaners before hiring.   

cozy

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 01:03:06 pm »
Why didn't you explain to the customer about Groupon?   ;D ;D ;D ;D

This could be happening alot more in future, wait untill these people hear about getting 65% off a stupid price  ;D ;D ;D

A "No brainer" as someone called it earlier.

When customers are cheeky enough to want to discuss your margins, it's time to start walking. Also, people with money and nice houses/cars etc, tend to always plead poverty.  ;) I'd stick to your price.

jasonl

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 01:41:16 pm »
On groupon this customer would have paid   £28 for the first 20m2 , then £2.50 there after making  the job around £400   or so  ,  Groupon would have received 14 quid of this , the customer would have known in advance the cost,as it is made very clear in the offer  , so no selling would have been involved .

But Groupon is bait and switch and a waste of time so no one need know that.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

cozy

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 01:50:33 pm »
Well knock yaself out mate. ;D what's 200 quid? Lose more than that running for the bus. ;D

james roffey

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 02:05:54 pm »
I was not at all sorry to lose that particular job, i agree the price i was charging was high but it was one of those sort of jobs that was going to be a pig to do all the spotting  etc and clutter, on these i price it at what it is worth to put up with the hassle,besides i was not in the mood to discount when he got shirty i know we get undercut all the time but this was by such a huge amount and by a guy using a truckmount

Helen

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 02:16:03 pm »
But Groupon is bait and switch and a waste of time so no one need know that.

As your offer reads Jason it is not bait and switch as it clearly states the details and if people choose to not see the details then that is there fault.

Some offers are not as clear as yours and can be seen as bait and switch and some apparently are bait and switch.

I hope this marketing is as fruitfull for you as you want it to be. :)

cozy

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 02:17:37 pm »
For what it's worth James, the same happens in other trades too. In window cleaning, there is a tendency to charge less when using Water Fed Pole because the work is easier than traditional window cleaning with a ladder. So guys invest in a WFP set up for a couple of thousand and the customer get half the price lopped off their price. Doesn't make sense.

Perhaps van mount makes some guys nervous and they worry about not getting the work in to cover the costs, so charge low prices.

Some people work longer and harder than others for the same result. If you know what I mean?

clinton

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 02:32:03 pm »
Dont think you lost out much james spec with that big landing..

As you said it would have been a messy job with all the clutter and then the spots n stains to treat too and whatever was left in the previous clean too..

derek west

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2011, 03:24:43 pm »
how long would it of taken you jim?

wynne jones

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2011, 03:40:48 pm »
I bet he runs a company and treats all his staff like poo for an ego boost. He's not worried about the price, he just wants to let you know how smart he is. Not!

Had you done the job, you will have regretted it even more - at almost any price.

Find nice custies and hang on to them.
It's not expensive, you just can't afford it.

garry22

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2011, 03:46:47 pm »
I did a quote for an expensive house on a private estate a couple of months ago.

The man said, "We've just bought this house, so we are stone broke now. Can you give us your best price?"

I quoted a couple of quid a square metre because it was empty and large.

When arrived to do the job, his wife turned out to be an old friend from school who I had not seen for years. She said he always pleaded poverty to get the best deal (not cocky or cheeky. More a kind of ... "can you help me out here?" approach).

Apparently, he would have gone higher and to be honest, I could have gone lower and still made money.

M.Acorn

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2011, 04:33:05 pm »
You just have to find a balance really,the people who I clean for in the surrounding villages,all get a decent discount (My dad took me out for a meal on Sat eve,he said he is hearing a lot of good feedback about me  ;D ).
The thing about being self employed is it's your choice,I have quoted unreasonably high on the jobs I didn't really want,and slightly lower on the ones I know are going to be easy and hassle free.
But that sounded like one of the ones I would have walked from,I am pretty good at sussing people out,and can read them like an open book,so it's easy for me to spot a liar.
I know there are people round near me that charge a lot more,there are also people who charge a lot less,I have been called in to rectify Mr cheapy le cheaps work in the past,and the tenant has ended up having to pay twice.
So many factors involved though
What goes around comes around

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2011, 06:32:06 pm »
Wonder what he would have said if you were to quote £200? I'm not suggesting you should but I smell a rat and I bet he would have chomped your arm off!

If you have enough work on then stick to your original quote if he doesn't want it you don't want him as he would be holding you up making real money elsewhere, if you have no work on then snatch his hand off!!

Not sure what I would have charged as I haven't seen it and if it's as bad as you say £600 may be the true price of a good job.

Shaun

benny d

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2011, 08:24:51 pm »
I had a similar one last week.
I mainly do quotes over the phone and the footage worked out at 1700 feet.
I quoted £ 410-00, and explained my whole cleaning system as I always do.

Now, because I had the post code and the name of the house I had put it into Google, and found it had just sold for £875,000-00. Grade 2 listed, stables, yada yada.

I spoke to the man who said it was too much and they had decided to use a Rug Doctor. I told him GOOD LUCK sunshine, and good luck to your back, and good luck to your underlay!

He said he might call back in future, but I said dont bother as you would probably have ruined the carpets anyway.
Twazzer!  :o
"If i'm not in action, I'm in traction"
Voted 397th best looking carpet cleaner in West Sussex 2015. Up 10 from last year...

brianbarber

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2011, 08:30:53 pm »
Quoted Monday, lounge diner,hallway,stairs small landing. Stain guard lounge diner only.
£155.00

Lady said ....oh, last year the guy charged me £80. and he stain guarded the HSL as well....

I said sorry, can't compete with that.

Really wanted to say Where the Feck is the guy now then?

Oh well, move along the bus!

Mr B
If in doubt.....Leave it out !!

james roffey

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2011, 10:59:39 pm »
how long would it of taken you jim?

I would not have booked anything else for that day, one of the things i love about running my own business is you have choices. if i dont want the job i dont do it, or if i do it it has to be worth the hassle.

I am busy at the moment, well up on my first year so i was not that worried. the way he was though i would probably turned it down at the price he wanted last year too, a few times last year i held my nerve on a few quotes and got the work, but as has been said if a job looks easy ie clear of furniture i do discount, but not in that case with this chancer !

JandS

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2011, 09:04:01 am »
180sq m so a good days work and you
want over £600.
Why didn't you quote a reasonable price
and get the job.
Even rich people want value for money.

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

M.Acorn

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2011, 09:06:28 am »
Was waiting for the cut price mob to comment,I am glad I am not the only person who charges a decent rate !!

Darren O

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2011, 09:22:17 am »
To true Mark i wish i could get £700 a day

garybristow

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2011, 09:26:00 am »
I charge the same price wether i use my truckmount or my portable
the cleaner did not charge less because he has a tm.
The aggro factor is the same,chemical use the same and time spent spotting is the same
the punters lying to get your price down
stick to your level and dont change ,cream comes to the top
GaryBristowclean

JandS

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2011, 09:33:24 am »
Cut price mob lol.
I'd have done it for half that and been happy with £300
for a days work and I suspect the majority on here would
although most won't admit it.
Don't get me wrong if you can get it go for it but I won't
turn down work through greed.
Skilled tradesmen don't earn that.

John

Phillip Mold

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2011, 12:24:04 pm »
I'd have charged around £600-£650, and be prepared to spend two days doing it! 
Doing the best job in the world as well as I can

M.Acorn

Re: Crazy Prices
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2011, 05:02:31 pm »
If I can do it anyone can really.
There are people out there that buy Saisho there are also people out there that buy Nakamichi ,same with supermarkets,some go to Aldi,others go to Fortnum and Mason Just have to find your niche

derek west

« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2011, 05:43:49 pm »
the price debates on CIU really do make me chuckle

maybe the guy that quoted £140 is on another forum we don't know about and has just started a thread called "crazy prices"

ya never know

james roffey

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2011, 09:53:29 pm »
I did explain to that customer that it may take more than a day, and for the reasons already stated i was not prepared to drop it to a price he would have accepted, i realised that when he reacted the way he did, i did offer to do it at £500 but no lower and i was not at all upset i did not get it, did one today £150 for  lounge,bedroom hall stairs absolute doddle lower hourly rate but thats fine.
Everything about that quote was a pain in the .rse and when he started questioning me about my overheads and the price he felt he should pay any goodwill had evaporated, i rarely cherry pick work but the days that i do something i dont want to ended with my last job.

Carpet Dawg

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2011, 10:22:47 pm »
Cut price mob lol.
I'd have done it for half that and been happy with £300
for a days work and I suspect the majority on here would
although most won't admit it.
Don't get me wrong if you can get it go for it but I won't
turn down work through greed.
Skilled tradesmen don't earn that.

John

No offence John but LOL

Are you in business to make money, build a business and grow or just get by? Might aswell just get a job at ASDA in that case, alot less stressful and less things to go wrong when staking shevles.

p.s. if a customer started questioning my profit margins in that way i'd walk.

Tony

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2011, 10:49:57 pm »

p.s. if a customer started questioning my profit margins in that way i'd walk.

THere are quite a few customers I can joke about this with. For example I have a solicitor client and I regularly suggest he should give it all up and become a cc as it is far more profitable.

Other clients I can use it to be quite cruel and rub their noses in it should I want to.

But of course the profit margin is only one half of the story. If you only do one job a week then it's pretty meaningless. But if you can achieve that margin on 4 jobs a day, day in day out-then yes you are going to be making serious money.

As has often been said before though-it's not the cleaning that makes the money-its getting the phone to ring AND successfully booking the work in.

Rog
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2011, 07:21:23 am »
The trick with pricing is to pitch them so you get more people that say Yes' than say' No.'  If you can achieve that you will always have money in your pocket.
As far as this job is concerned we'd be looking to get it done in around 4 hours with a 2 man team and powerful TM and the price would be a lot less than the figures mentioned, some of which I think is just trumpet blowing, because in the real world we are all under price pressure with customers in all sectors looking for deals and watching the pennys. The reality is this is a good job that anyone would want in their diary provided the price is right.

Simon

cozy

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2011, 07:46:43 am »
The trick with pricing is to pitch them so you get more people that say Yes' than say' No.'  If you can achieve that you will always have money in your pocket.
As far as this job is concerned we'd be looking to get it done in around 4 hours with a 2 man team and powerful TM and the price would be a lot less than the figures mentioned, some of which I think is just trumpet blowing, because in the real world we are all under price pressure with customers in all sectors looking for deals and watching the pennys. The reality is this is a good job that anyone would want in their diary provided the price is right.

Simon

So if you have a powerful TM, you can work cheaper? Or have I misunderstood that?

Doug Holloway

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2011, 07:51:26 am »
Hi Guys

It's worth bearing in mind regional variations, I have found Essex prices are among the higher end, obviously Central London is going to be the highest

Cheers

Doug

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2011, 08:07:33 am »
Cozy,
No, you haven't misunderstood it. One of the great advantages of the TM is that it can complete bigger jobs very much faster than with conventional equipment and still produce fantastic results. This gives you a lot of latitude as far as prices are concerned as most TM's are earning well over £100 ph and as they don't have to stop to refill or empty can complete a job like this and go on to do another  like it all in the same day.
Simon

Doug Holloway

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2011, 08:20:36 am »
Hi Guys

TM's really come into their own on larger properties/commercial, less so on one room and upholstery.

It's much easier too but sometimes I do feel like being on a runaway train, it's much harder to stop and have a chat.

Cheers

Doug

cozy

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2011, 08:22:27 am »
OK, never really looked at the TM set ups. Surely though, if a punter is prepared to pay for example 200 quid to have a couple of rooms cleaned, what difference does it make to them if you do it with a TM or a porty? They still get the job done and the punter pays 200 quid. Why should the punter get any advantage for the TM operator investing more in their business?

What I'm really asking is, why a difference in price because of equipment used? The job's worth 200 quid.

Doug, we aren't there to chat, just grab the cash. If they want to chat, they need to pay more  ;D ;D ;D

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2011, 08:40:53 am »
Cozy,
Some would argue that the customer gets a better, more thorough job done for his £200, but the real advantage is to the TM operator who has the capacity to clean lots more carpet than his portable colleague and that gives you a lot of scope to be flexible price wise, or to make a lot more money.

Simon

cozy

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2011, 08:51:54 am »
Good point, but the TM operator can still charge 200 for that job, so it would make sense to charge the 200 and not work for a lower price. Do you agree?

Anyway, got to go and suck some puke out of a punters sofa now. Love this part of my business. 8)

AshWhite

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2011, 09:25:20 am »
I think the point is that maybe if you had a porty that £200 might be all that you can do in one day, whereas if you've got a TM you might be able to do it, then another job in the same day because you can complete it quicker. Therefore if you've got a minimum earn of (for example) £200 per day you could be more flexible with your pricing with a TM - if for example the customer wasn't willing to pay more than £150. In my opinion, we're still going through a tough economic time. The area I'm in is not the most affluent at the best of times, with high rates of unemployment. I'd rather do a job and get paid 80% of what its worth, than not do it and get paid 100% of nothing. But others will feel differently, as I'm sure we'll hear shortly..

Ash
Carpet Cleaning http://www.floors2show.co.uk
Google Adwords Management http://www.pagecrest.co.uk

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2011, 09:27:51 am »
Cozy,
You use that extra scope and ability whichever way you feel best.

Simon

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2011, 09:31:22 am »
Ash,
I think that is exactly right. One of the great advantages of a TM is that on most jobs you're earning double / triple what you actually need as an hour rate in order to survive, so you can be a lot more flexible price wise with jobs of varying degrees of profit AND have a full diary because of it.

Simon

« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2011, 09:47:41 am »
You can do the same with LM cleaning too, and the kit is only a fraction of the cost of a TM   ;D

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2011, 09:49:03 am »
You certainly can, David, but then you only get the carpets a fraction as clean as a TM  ;D

Simon

JandS

« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2011, 10:06:37 am »
Carpet Dawg

I don't need £600 a day to run my business.

James

Dropping your price £100 would make me feel
that you tried to rip me off with your first price.

John

M.Acorn

« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2011, 12:12:28 pm »
I think the point is that maybe if you had a porty that £200 might be all that you can do in one day,

Nope,not at all,2 jobs yesterday 3 story town house = £240.00  2nd job 4 bed house £199,that was with knocking £50 as through the agency

AshWhite

« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2011, 12:38:42 pm »
Sorry Marc, I only used £200 as an example as someone had already mentioned that figure, wasn't meant to be taken literally.

Ash
Carpet Cleaning http://www.floors2show.co.uk
Google Adwords Management http://www.pagecrest.co.uk

M.Acorn

« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2011, 02:20:25 pm »
My bad sorry !!  ;D

« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2011, 07:23:45 pm »
You certainly can, David, but then you only get the carpets a fraction as clean as a TM  ;D

Simon

I am sorry Simon you have confused me with someone else.......

« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2011, 08:20:10 pm »
You think that I am David Rogers, please let me assure you that I am not.....

I am based in the Andover area, and not the North East, plus I do not spout out like I am the oracle...

Mr Dvae

« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2011, 09:28:01 pm »
Just went to do a quote 2400 ft sq of domestic carpet i thought my price was low at £485 custy thought he should pay £200, wanted all the furniture moved, beds  etc heavily furnished not cleaned for 14 years... i think it's about perception

Dave

M.Acorn

« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2011, 09:59:29 pm »
How weird,I had a call today from an American woman wanting around 2000 sq foot of carpet doing,domestic I said around £560,she said she had had a quote for £200,said hope it all works out for her,this was a rental though

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2011, 10:05:16 pm »
TBH I hope it doesn't work out for her, makes a mug of us if it does but then again for the extra we charge you are getting more like pile lift, deeper clean, quick drying, non rapid resoil, stain treatments, not sure if for £200 she'll get that but it's an EOT will she be bothered?

Every time I get Yanks they are always so price conscious they think its coupon day every day!

Shaun

« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2011, 10:09:01 pm »
Very weird. I had a call from an American (are they all going home?) 2300 sq/ft and got it at £989.00
It'll be empty so should get it done in a day

Mike Halliday

« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2011, 07:15:39 am »
I must live in a different world, the way some prices are quoted, Neil casually mentions a £989 job to be done in 1 day, plus the £600, £450 jobs.

I have never done a £989 job and even the £450 jobs I've done can be counted on 1 hand.

makes todays £75 jobs look measily :'( :'(
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2011, 07:18:22 am »
same as Mike  :(

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2011, 07:48:44 am »
Yeah, I think there's a good bit of exaggeration for reasons of bravado going on from the few that seem determined to tell us all how much they are charging / earning. Personally I think it is a mistake to mention job prices on a public forum, you never know who's looking in.
Anyway, I've got to go, I've got three full houses at £650 each to do before lunch and then an office to do  for £2101.00 by tea time, all on my own with a Rug Doctor, coz I'm that good. ;) ;D ;D

Simon

Billy Russell

« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2011, 07:54:19 am »
Yeah, I think there's a good bit of exaggeration for reasons of bravado going on from the few that seem determined to tell us all how much they are charging / earning. Personally I think it is a mistake to mention job prices on a public forum, you never know who's looking in.
Anyway, I've got to go, I've got three full houses at £650 each to do before lunch and then an office to do  for £2101.00 by tea time, all on my own with a Rug Doctor, coz I'm that good. ;) ;D ;D

Simon

Don't forget to put your rotary in as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2011, 07:59:01 am »
Oh yeah, sorry, the rotary - we charge £2 per rotation for it, plus vat  ;D ;D

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2011, 09:03:20 am »
Just as a matter of interest, with all these prices being tossed around, do all the contributors mean they are charging these figures plus VAT or are these figures inclusive of VAT?

I appreciate that the answer will probably be different for each contributor but it does have a significant bearing on how an impartial reader of the thread may interpret the prices quoted and in comparing the different contributors quotes.

Rog
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

Simon Gerrard

Billy Russell

« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2011, 09:55:48 am »
Rog,
It's plus vat at an exaggerated rate of 32.75% ;D ;)

Simon,

Your on a roll this morning!!!!!!!!! Did you have your weetabix this morning?  ;D

M.Acorn

« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2011, 10:22:03 am »
Only 2 jobs today  first £131.00  2nd only £45.as it's just a rug,knocked a bit off as I am doing the entire house in the week,and the rug will be going with the removal men,so needs doing first .

Thing that makes me laugh,these 2000 ft+ jobs,they must be paying close to 2 grand a month to rent the place,so even £560 is a small amount when compared to that,I got the reply,oh we don't want to pay much,we are only renting !! Don't make sense to me

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2011, 11:27:47 am »
Billy,
No, mate in had 16 shredded wheat with 6 pints of milk in 4 bowls and answered the phone and booked in another £500 job while still eating ;D ;D

Helen

« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2011, 01:25:17 pm »
Only 2 jobs today  first £131.00  2nd only £45.as it's just a rug,knocked a bit off as I am doing the entire house in the week,and the rug will be going with the removal men,so needs doing first .

Thing that makes me laugh,these 2000 ft+ jobs,they must be paying close to 2 grand a month to rent the place,so even £560 is a small amount when compared to that,I got the reply,oh we don't want to pay much,we are only renting !! Don't make sense to me

Could be because it's not their own property :)

Helen

« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2011, 01:28:27 pm »
Just as a matter of interest, with all these prices being tossed around, do all the contributors mean they are charging these figures plus VAT or are these figures inclusive of VAT?

I appreciate that the answer will probably be different for each contributor but it does have a significant bearing on how an impartial reader of the thread may interpret the prices quoted and in comparing the different contributors quotes.

Rog

I would hope that the figures would not include the vat, as the contributer who puts gross price up is only fooling himself.
Should only talk in nett figures when discussing earnings :)
But hey that's just me :)

« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2011, 08:36:56 pm »
Very weird. I had a call from an American (are they all going home?) 2300 sq/ft and got it at £989.00
It'll be empty so should get it done in a day

think they are all going to Cambridge they have heard that the carpet cleaners there are cheap.....  ;D ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #71 on: July 14, 2011, 08:59:44 pm »
think they are all going to Cambridge they have heard that the carpet cleaners there are cheap.....  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Well nearly all of them ;)

I had a classic phone call this afternoon. It was something along the lines of they had had a quote from someone who quoted £250 for a 3 bed 3 storey town house. Then when they said it was EOT he stuck the price up to £350 :o and that was the end of their business association ;D
I've said I'll do it for £220 but I'm not holding my breath on it.

simbo

« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2011, 09:36:59 pm »
well maybe its just me but what a load of crap is talked on here!! £600 quid for a days graft is a joke 99% of customers would laugh in your face and the other 1% must be like trying to find rocking horse poop. Its just carpet cleaning nothing more nothing less it can be cleaned well very well cheaply, in fact i would be bored to death dragging jobs out to justify such silly prices, specialised cleaning and stain removal etc more skill needed but most customers could not care less. Maybe i should move area no reccesion in cloud cookoo land.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #73 on: July 14, 2011, 09:45:27 pm »
Simbo I have done a few £600+ domestic carpet cleaning jobs okay they aren't the norm but they do come along, some a recommend and some are new customers many are just moving in to include upholstery.

Shaun

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #74 on: July 14, 2011, 09:55:01 pm »
Take no notice of them they are just trying to impress us with their inflated job prices and volumes of work, when really they are sitting at home all day thinking up their next lofty tale. Amusing all the same  ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2011, 06:19:17 am »
No need to give your trade secrets away Simon ..........  :P

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Billy Russell

The Great One

« Reply #78 on: July 15, 2011, 07:31:54 am »
Simbo I have done a few £600+ domestic carpet cleaning jobs okay they aren't the norm but they do come along, some a recommend and some are new customers many are just moving in to include upholstery.

Shaun

Same as Shaun, they happen but sadly not very often.

Did a hotel a few years back and was £400 for 200mSq of carpet, 4hrs.

Another was £685.00 for 4 hrs (£171.25 p/h) but again was a few years ago and liked the system so much they bought the thing themselves.

So yes they happen but infrequently.

Martin 8)

JandS

« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2011, 06:00:25 pm »
And these inflated prices are just the reason
people shop around for prices.
Not that there's anything wrong with price
shopping, after all we all do it.
I've even had customers say they nearly
didn't ring anyone else after there first quote
because it was so high and they thought that
the price was the norm and unaffordable.
It's not just low prices that ruin this industry.

John

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2011, 06:29:12 pm »
How do you define inflated prices? surely finding out what is being offered in the cleaning should dictate to what is value and what is not, Mrs.Smith wants a eco friendly clean from a specialist that knows all about it then she calls that expert and not a carpet cleaner with little or no knowlede of Eco.

Shaun

M.Acorn

« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2011, 06:35:56 pm »
I cleaned a h/s/l in a large house last week 800 sq foot,regular customer,I charged £300 customer happy,there were also 2 fitters there,they fitted some coco matting,put a z bar on the kitchen ,and fitted a bit of spare carpet where it had rotted ,due to a huge plant.
They charged £257+ vat they were there about 2 hours,so it's not just us cleaners charging decent money

« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2011, 09:44:12 pm »
They charged £257+ vat they were there about 2 hours,so it's not just us cleaners charging decent money

But what was the cost of the products they brought with them and put down?

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #84 on: July 16, 2011, 06:58:51 am »
really ?????

how would you guess that      ;D

M.Acorn

« Reply #85 on: July 16, 2011, 07:43:10 am »
All they supplied was 1 z bar,the width of a door,and a piece of coco matting,2m square..the carpet they replaced was a bit that was taken from one of the bathrooms,when it got re vamped.
Here are some pics,I have nothing to gain from telling porkies !!

Hall way,there is about 15 ft behind me

Landing,again about 15ft behind me

Top part of stairs

Bottom set of stairs

Happy ?

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #86 on: July 16, 2011, 07:57:09 am »
Mark,
Not disputing you did the job, just wondering why you feel compelled to mention prices all the time. Nice job tho ;)

M.Acorn

« Reply #87 on: July 16, 2011, 08:09:43 am »
Don't know really,suppose I started something a while back,posting big job tickets.
Just saying if I can earn this sort of money,then there is no reason why others can't too.
I am only using my porty,have no business experience other than running a kitchen,left school with 0 qualifications well art metalwork and geography,but they don't really count.
Suppose it's my way of patting myself on the back,as I don't give myself enough credit for what I have achieved.
I still get very quiet times,phone won't ring for an entire week sometimes.

PaulKing

« Reply #88 on: July 16, 2011, 08:18:29 am »
Mark your getting very good money for this job more than me, I'd wouldn't be much cheaper than you but I'm taking Simon advice and not talking amounts.

Yes some people charge less but if  the competition is charging £100 he'll need at least three of them to make £300 and another one to pay for the running around. and if he doing it right it'll take a long time to do them all. I find it easier to find 1x £300 customer than find  4X £100 customers. Worked that one out a long while ago. John Kelly has a sheet showing the effect of discounting a job and how much more you have to do to make the same, ask him for a copy.

A lot of people think only of the short term making enough to live, and pay for van and supplies, it really does help to think where do I want to be in 1,2,5,10,20 years time.

If i break my leg have I got enough to pay the bill till I'm back at work?

When am I going to retire and with what?

As for bragging, well no one hears the man you shouts down the well, but here you just get people grumping because they think your expensive.

It would seem your getting your message out locally, which is were it really matters.

www.revitaclean.com  established 1968 in Newcastle Upon Tyne

PaulKing

« Reply #89 on: July 16, 2011, 08:21:24 am »
p.s I'm not seeing any foil card or poly blocks under the furniture?

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #90 on: July 16, 2011, 08:21:37 am »
Where's the 'like' button?

Well said Mr.King.

Shaun

M.Acorn

« Reply #91 on: July 16, 2011, 08:25:52 am »
The pics were pre cleaning,moved all the furniture into other rooms.
It's a customer I have been working for for around 7 years,I basically took on some of my wife' s domestic customers when I first started up,just to give me a regular income.
Was back there yesterday,really noticed the difference in the carpets,feel so much softer underfoot,it's good to get back and see what difference cleaning has made,as it's not something we normally see.

« Reply #92 on: July 16, 2011, 08:30:17 am »
I would rather £100 in my pocket than £300 in someone else's....

Rob_Mac

« Reply #93 on: July 16, 2011, 08:53:20 am »
Mark

I set my stall out a long time ago to be exemplary at what I do. Nothing to do with carpet cleaning but the prinicples are the same.

I don't cut corners, stay till a job is done to my satisfaction and create excellent working relationships.

I have no need to say what I earn because the satisfaction is from the clients becoming reliant on my service.

When I first started with the supermarkets there was no external cleaning service (it was lumped onto the internal cleaning package and done in a fashion), now it is an integral part for some of the main players. That has been down to me!.

There is nothing wrong with your pricing and from my perspective most undervalue their worth or are led to believe that they can only charge the going rate.

Don't argue, don't be dragged into debate but use the energy that you would have argued with to fill the gaps with more days that will pay what you see as a deserved turnover.

You will not win by posting earnings on a forum. You are doing nothing wrong as long as you are offering the service for the price stated.

Be grateful that others limit themselves!!

Rob ;D

PaulKing

« Reply #94 on: July 16, 2011, 08:56:05 am »
I would rather £100 in my pocket than £300 in someone else's....

you missed the point

« Reply #95 on: July 16, 2011, 09:03:23 am »
really ?? how is that ??

richy27

« Reply #96 on: July 16, 2011, 09:45:02 am »
the way i see it mark you have the right to charge what you like if the customer is happy to pay that lets face it though 300 plus domestic job tickets are not an every day occurence but its nice when they come along .

i am a strong believer in volume of work/ average price ticket    this can only be achieved by an affordable but sensible min charge . 

if your based in an area of high density population charging low prices can lead to success if you can keep up a high volume of work   but as with most customers who want cheap the next time a cc is required they will simply shop around again so that model is not built on repeat work.   but if a company is charging cheap and getting lots of repeats and ref they maybe missing a trick and under selling the service they provide .  I believe the term is called a busy fool.

with any business model you need to have a plan i have no problem with companys charging low prices because they are aiming themselves generally at the low end work because middle to high end customers in general will not pick the lowest price they will pick the company they judge to give the best service.

M.Acorn

« Reply #97 on: July 16, 2011, 11:45:55 am »
It's not all roses for me.Halfway through my job,my k valve starts peeing out at 160psi,very hot water all over me.
The threaded part of the nut that holds the trigger valve in,snapped off.
Did think I was going to have to finish the job with my hand tool,luckily I had a small stair tool,which had the same nut on,so just swapped over.
What causes brass to shear like that ? Same thing happened to the heat and run,connector,just broke up into bit's.
Going to order a new one now,and hope the wand lasts until the new one gets here,booked solid all next week.
Going top stop posting what I am charging now.
I am only .28p per sq foot,people round here are .40 ish,possibly they knock a bit off for bulk ?

PaulKing

« Reply #98 on: July 16, 2011, 12:17:11 pm »
really ?? how is that ??

The usual way,
 you failed to understand me, or I was not clear enough, possibly both

But thats not important right now and don't call me shirley...... Airplane 1980something

derek west

« Reply #99 on: July 16, 2011, 02:21:51 pm »
"surely you can't be serious"

"yes i am serious and stop calling me shirley" ;D the old ones are the best.

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #100 on: July 16, 2011, 02:37:02 pm »
Mark,
The other thing is it is never a good idea to publish the prices you charge as now any competitors of yours that log on to the forum now know how much you charge. Also, there are hundreds of members of this forum who just log on to read the posts and get information but never participate and because of the disguised nature of many of them you never know who's looking in, the tax man, for instance!! ;)
Simon

M.Acorn

« Reply #101 on: July 16, 2011, 02:41:39 pm »
Nothing to fear from the tax man,I run everything through my books  ::)
But yeah,taken what people have said on board.
I don't really sell on price though,I sell on the quality of results,I do still get small jobs,ranging from £65 to £100 ish,not saying that every job is £300+ wish it was...

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #102 on: July 16, 2011, 03:41:12 pm »
As far as pricing in general, some of the most successful people I know in this business all operate in the middle price band and are doing five and six jobs a day and practically printing money, mind you they all have tm's so can can get an awful lot of work done very quickly.
There is a perfectly logical case to say, 'I'll hang on for the £300 job rather than do three £100 jobs,' but in this economic climate that seems to me to be dancing with the devil and just hope sufficient jobs come your way.

Simon

M.Acorn

« Reply #103 on: July 16, 2011, 04:09:18 pm »
Well it's not been easy.When the wife sold on her domestic cleaning business,I thought that would be the end of it,as most of my work to start off with,was referrals from them,did have a couple of letting agents,but let's say they were aimed more at the student market,so some were like polishing turds.
Over the following years i was approached by the others letting agents,who are aimed more at the professional end of the market.
Until March this year,the rental side of things was more or less dead,but luckily it's picking up.
I take pride in what I do,almost in an ocd type way sometimes

Steve Barnett (Carpet Care Plus)

« Reply #104 on: July 16, 2011, 04:50:14 pm »
What a fickle industry this is - 6 pages on this thread about charging too much and 8 pages on the Groupon thread about charging too little !

cozy

« Reply #105 on: July 16, 2011, 04:50:47 pm »
What a fickle industry this is - 6 pages on this thread about charging too much and 8 pages on the Groupon thread about charging too little !
;D ;D ;D

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #106 on: July 16, 2011, 04:53:15 pm »
Birds of a feather flock together, if you get 1 customer paying £300 for work done you can bet your bottom dollar that their friends and family will have work done at that price.

Shaun

D Ingram

« Reply #107 on: July 16, 2011, 05:23:07 pm »
Nice thought Shaun but not always the case :'(
Dave Ingram

Doug Holloway

« Reply #108 on: July 16, 2011, 05:41:43 pm »
Hi guys

I don't see any reason why you cannot have different pricing structures for different occaisions.

For example this week I have done a treatment job at 200 plus per hour, an old customer pensioner at 50 an hour and most inbetween depending on distance, desire and desperation ;)

If I am busy the price increases, much as Easy Jet etc, if quieter then I will negotiate more.

Old customers are always looked after as I value their return.

The only thing that stops many CC's getting good prices is themselves, if you don't ask for it you won't get it.

No one is going to say , oh have another £100

Cheers

Doug

dave123

« Reply #109 on: July 16, 2011, 05:45:24 pm »
£300 for 80 sq metres at .28p/sq ft actually only works out to £224 or is it me even with VAT it still doesn't come to £300 in fact you are giving yourself a £30 tip  ;D  Not meaning to be picky but bit confused with the maths .I get the impression people just pick a figure out of the air and if the custie goes with it all well and good .

Dave

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #110 on: July 16, 2011, 05:49:14 pm »
Look at the Fast Track boys specially Colin Bright or Chris Bailey these guys don't go out for less than £100 then there was Martin Reilly who did some really big job tickets, you just have to find the slipstream.

Shaun

clinton

« Reply #111 on: July 16, 2011, 05:52:01 pm »
We wouldnt get out of bed for that shaun ;D

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #112 on: July 16, 2011, 05:56:49 pm »
Heard you don't get out of bed anyway :o well not until you've had enough of your latest conquest ;D

Shaun

Billy Russell

« Reply #113 on: July 16, 2011, 05:57:46 pm »
We wouldnt get out of bed for that shaun ;D

I didn't know you and shaun were in bed together clinton!!

;D ;D

PaulKing

« Reply #114 on: July 16, 2011, 06:03:12 pm »
slilpstream is that a kind of lubricant?

or a new kind of glide?

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #115 on: July 16, 2011, 06:07:20 pm »
No I wouldn't get in bed with anyone again last one nicked my money and stuck and asbo tag on my finger!

Slip stream is like WD40 for marketers

Shaun

derek west

« Reply #116 on: July 16, 2011, 06:09:08 pm »
slilpstream is that a kind of lubricant?

or a new kind of glide?
both go hand in hand paul.

M.Acorn

« Reply #117 on: July 16, 2011, 06:20:29 pm »
It was + 2 1/2 sets of stairs,and they were big stairs

clinton

« Reply #118 on: July 16, 2011, 06:23:15 pm »
Wd 40 a bit slipery shaun ;D

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #119 on: July 16, 2011, 06:25:49 pm »
I know a few fastback boys who charge really high prices but all too often there vans are sitting on their drives. I suppose they would say they only have to do a few jobs per week, but I know one of them has had to re-think his prices because more people are looking for a good deal. I think flexible pricing is the way to go, especially with money so tight.
Simon

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #120 on: July 16, 2011, 06:48:46 pm »
Chris Bailey has 2 van out so he must be shifting some work, the trick is to keep marketing when you stop the work eventually does.

Wd40 is for broken seals :o

Shaun

jon barnes

« Reply #121 on: July 16, 2011, 07:25:28 pm »
doesnt necessarily mean he has enough work for them both running full time.

PaulKing

« Reply #122 on: July 16, 2011, 08:06:33 pm »
yes but does he need it?

I have a van sitting idle most of the time, but it 5 years old and a spare don't want to let any of the £300 jobs down do we!

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #123 on: July 16, 2011, 08:15:09 pm »
Don't think I would like to be paying staff sat idle I'm pretty sure Chris doesn't so an educated guess would be he has enough work.

Shaun

« Reply #124 on: July 16, 2011, 09:11:36 pm »
It was + 2 1/2 sets of stairs,and they were big stairs

£76 for 2 x half sets of stairs :o
I really am going to have to up my game and yes I have seen the pics.

Russ Chadd

« Reply #125 on: July 20, 2011, 11:57:30 pm »
This is typical of some people...The only time they feel that they are getting a deal is when they are screwing the tradesmen, ever wondered how they came to affording such a lavish house?.... because they are tight and greedy!
Im all in favour of charging a fair price for a fair job and if the job is how you described it then fair play mate!
I :)

M.Acorn

« Reply #126 on: July 21, 2011, 07:02:42 am »
There is more good news,they are back from abroad,and they have brought a dog with them,and it's got muddy foot prints on the sofa I cleaned about a month ago.So just booked that in again