Shaun_Ashmore

Re: MICRO SPLITTERS
« Reply #80 on: June 27, 2008, 11:01:48 pm »
John I was being pedantic but the best thing about MS is that most of them have a lower ph than some of the pre spray that we use, but you have to use what you have to use sometimes.

Shaun

Joe H

« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2008, 08:00:45 am »
Shaun quite rightly IMO says "you have to use what you have to use sometimes" and I think Doug Holloway has said something similar on another thread - and I do use mS and detergents ....
and thats why I have not voted in the poll being dine by Steve Gunn - there was not an optin to cover what I do - use what is necessary to to a satifactory job. Need to keep all options open IMO.

Re the comments about pre spraying with a certain Magic Cornish Water (why cant you just say what you mean).
Yes I use M-Power, and yes I have seen dirty marks start to disappear befor my eyes - and not only that but you know when you get the custy pearing over your shoulder, well they have seen it too.
It happens when aggitating (as directed).
and NO the carpet is not miraculously clean after agitation such you can pack up and go home. The dirt needs rinsing out, and you can do that with hot water if you want, and dare I say it (yes I dare because I wont hold back on saying what I have done or seen)) with cold water if you want - your preferred choice......... no pressure from ANYONE... not even the Magic Corninsh Water supplier.

and by the way - I have had similar "miracle" with Nemesis Super as well.

*paul_moss

« Reply #82 on: June 28, 2008, 08:16:18 am »
Joe, how you getting on with the truck now? All up and going well I hope.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

« Reply #83 on: June 28, 2008, 01:50:34 pm »
Yes I use M-Power, and yes I have seen dirty marks start to disappear befor my eyes - and not only that but you know when you get the custy pearing over your shoulder, well they have seen it too.
It happens when aggitating (as directed).

Well if it's a water soluble stain and you then apply water and then aggitate, of course the stain will go. More than likely because the the one cm condensed stain has now been dispersed over 10 cm therefore becoming lighter in overall colour.
The image given by some was that you sprayed a stain with CMW, went away for 10 minutes for a crafty ciggie and a coffee, came back and the job was done for you. I think that's what winds people like me up.
I'm not saying it's useless, just not the 'one size fits all' product it was sold as.

colin thomas

« Reply #84 on: June 28, 2008, 06:39:22 pm »
neil, i agree that whatever chemical you use often the stain does 'dissapear' when you pre-spray, it often blends into the general surrounding carpet but as said, you still have to rinse that dirt out, it's in there!
shaun, i think that a lot of this acidic rinsing applies to the days when portables were not very good at extracting the detergent from the carpet, nowadays with truck-mounts rinsing at 3-400 psi and portables the same, a lot less, if any, detergent is left in there to do any damage,

just my opinion,  colin
colin thomas

francis

« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2008, 01:13:35 am »
Colin
Lets face it, you can clean out alot of dirt marks from a carpet with a solution of Fairy Liquid.
What we are all searching for , is one product that works everytime in all situations.
Some of us have the heat (which definately helps), the high pressure flushing (which is essential) & the vacuum to suck all the resultant sludge out of the carpet. It's just that one solution that fits all that seems to be elusive

kinder clean

« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2008, 12:13:16 am »

Seems strange to me.

All this talk about M/S verses traditional chemicals and weather they damage your carpet, yet nobodys mentioned the damage risks to our health, most if not all M/S are labelled as non toxic, surely thats the main point, unless your going in wearing full head to toe protection with an air fed mask your breathing in and taking in through your skin whatever you choose to put down on the carpet, that's the selling point for ME.

Paul Kinder Clean 

Joe H

« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2008, 06:36:33 am »
Joe, how you getting on with the truck now? All up and going well I hope.
As Paul asked this question early Sat morning it looks like I am ignoring him. In fact we chatted on the phone on Sat morning.

However, for those others that may want to kow how I am getting on with the change to a truck mount - well, just fine.

It took me a while to get used to the Green glide (the hybrid type - holes and slots), makes moving the wand soooo easy, in fact, life would be unbearable without one. But as the wife said "how much for a bit of plastic?".  "Excuse me"  I said, "but its not plastic, it is Teflon". She still not impressed!

As for the machine itself. Yes took me a few jobs to get used to working it, but OK now.
The heat is "automatic", that is when the engine is running it produces heat which then heats the water via the heat exchanger. No on/off switch, no numpty to turn to reduce the heat EXCEPT for say a suite. I will turn the throttle down a bit. This gives less suction and also engine not working as hard so I assume a bit less heat too.
Pressure can be altered easy enough. Clean carpets mostly at 250psi but depending on how bad I may go to 300 or even to 400. Again, suites will be less, say 150 with a handtool.

I now have an inline sprayer, with its own solution container, which can go to high pressure, usually at 300psi so this gives some agitation at this pressure, lot more then a hand pump up.

I have no hose reels on my van, neither suction nor solution.
Inevitable one uses more hoses then when using a portable, and its the hose management I am having difficulty with - at the end of the job.
I am not too bad coiling up to 50' of suction (and it isnt on every job you use 50' piece of 2" hose, normally shorter plus 12' whip), but its the solution hose that cause me a problem. I find hand coiling, even doing the "twist" motion difficult. OK now whilst its "summer", but could be a pain in the winter when its blowing cold and wet (actually that sounds like summer).

Once set up, which is quicker then with a portable, the cleaning is generally easier (which is what I wanted), quicker (a bonus), cleaner (probably but the Scorpion was pretty good, but thats a bonus too).

but overall - doing OK.

john rees

« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2008, 07:18:24 am »
Hi Joe,
          Glad it's going well with the t/m. Sounds like you need a pair of hose reels, It will make life a lot easier for you I'm sure,the hoses will take up much less room when on  reels,and you'll be able to carry much more of it too, because it's only a matter of time before you are going to need more hose for a job that needs the t/m. If I was you I would use a 2 inch wand if you have one, without the whip(if it's a 1 1/2 inch), you'll get much better drying times then.

All the best
                                                    John
john

Joe H

« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2008, 07:24:47 am »
Morning John.
I am sure you right about hose reels, and the wand is 1.5" and I know the system will "breathe" easier with 2" all the way.
Even a Y section with 2 x 2" to the dirty tank would help too.
and I would like some cool cuffs as well.
Just have prioritise and save my pennies a bit more.
All will come to those who wait!

john rees

« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2008, 08:09:23 am »
I'm sure a local fabricator could make the reels for you Joe? I think I have some plans here somewhere for the dimensions? I'll have a look later............every little helps.......where have I heard that before? ;D

All the best
                              John
john

Spot On cleaning

« Reply #91 on: June 30, 2008, 08:27:18 am »
Joe

I made my own hose reel out of wood to hold 200 feet. It cost me about £30 and was made in a day. It is on a wooden stand which gives me space to store things uder the reel and pipe. I am sure anybody could knock one up as i did, but twelve years of working in the cable industry winding cables onto drums, one gets to see how they were made so to speak.

I was forced to do this as i did not know you could get custon reels made at the time, and could not have a sub mounted water tank due to van being too narrow so was forced to have side mounted tank instead.

Dave

Mark Lane-Matthews

« Reply #92 on: June 30, 2008, 09:43:53 am »
Hi Joe
Invest in some cool cuffs from Hydramaster for your vacuum hose ,you won't regret it.

Mark

colin thomas

« Reply #93 on: June 30, 2008, 04:51:40 pm »
joe, not trying to teach you to suck eggs but to wind up either vac or solution hose they have to be 'full length, straight' as it were, if you try to wind them up while they are coiled around you don't stand a chance,

colin
ps did you get a chance to visit joe bristors site and find out about the hose gripper he sells for stairs?  www.coolcuffs.net
colin thomas

John Kelly

« Reply #94 on: June 30, 2008, 05:03:11 pm »
Joe, easiest way to coil solution hose is to do it first whilst its still warm and  put it into coils about 2 foot across on the ground. Once wound, bungee up and hang in the van.

mark shannon

« Reply #95 on: June 30, 2008, 05:10:57 pm »
Joe how does the TM compare to your Scorpion?  I know its a different beast, but would be interested in your views.

Joe H

« Reply #96 on: June 30, 2008, 05:40:59 pm »
Joe how does the TM compare to your Scorpion?  I know its a different beast, but would be interested in your views.
Hi Mark
Well the TM is heavier and I am still having trouble getting it in and out of the van - be better if it had wheels. ;D

Its quicker to set up (no filling up tank with water)
whilst the Scorpion is a lightweight compared to some prtables, it still a weight - but you got to bear in mind my age and the fact I am only little and fragile  :D (you seen me)
its easier but that will be because of the glide which you could use with any machine.
its quicker to do a clean I reckon (increased extraction)
bit more fiddly cause you usually have firther to walk (back to van rather then front door) if you want to reduce/increase pressure or switch off. What it needs is a remote control for pressure and revs etc.
OK your not dropping dirty water down the customers loo, but when you get home you got to drain your tank down the main drain - so bit of a pain just when you want to go in and shower.
and of course you need to do a bit of maintenance and checking like you do with your car ie oils, belts, filters etc.

but I am still only 7 weeks into it.
I was and still am happy with the Scorpion - does a fine job.
I got the TM abit on impulse. I had a van that would take it, the TM was there for sale, and I got thinking - few years left in me yet, if I dont have a TM before I pack in I might regret it.
So I went for it, it all happened between a Monday night and the following Friday linchtime - that quick.
Yep, glad I got it
broadens my experiance of life, never stop learning (it just gets harder).
If I was younger what would I do.
Yes I think I would go for it, no problem.
If I said I couldnt afford a TM (and thats debated) then it would be the Scorpion.

but who knows whats around the corner, always something new coming out.