paul alan

Hi just had bed news about my beloved 2004 transit swb, rotten underneath! Will need 25+ hours welding quoted at £1000 +.  Just got a 12 plate and don't want the same problem after only 3 yrs, I've gotta admit I haven't been the most careful with my van and truly regret it as this I can't really afford right now.
So if your like me and are going to sort the van out......soon ........then go and do it quick as I reckon I could of sold my van for around 2k as its really nice and clean,great engine, 90k.
Now I'm in debt.
 I need to know how to properly waterproof the floor in the newer van? Can anyone help?
 Also I keep having leaks on my 1/2" garden hose coming from my pump to my reels, little ones here and here(it's a DIY setup 600ltr ibc to pump to2 reels) which fitting and hose should I have in place as these seem as though there almost not compatible ???
 Help here wil be massively appreciated as I can't wreck this van as well.
Many thanks
Paul.

SB Cleaning

A few leaks from a hose reel isn't going to rot the van floor surely ???...My primastar just flew through mot and I've not waterproofed the floor.

jk999

Some on this site will say speed line it but it's quite expensive,  what I did to the van I just bought was protekta coated floor then boarded it out but the floor board was a water proofed floor for extra protection,  protekta kote  is about 60 to 70 pounds and I paid 180 for the boarding out but it depends on what van you have mine is 53 plate dispatch

Smudger

I'm with sb - my maxus has been a window cleaning van for about 6 years of its life no waterproofing and no rust. It's a 56 plate

Unless you've had the van from new it could've had all sorts of damage/repair that left it vulnerable to rust

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

SeanK

Its just a problem with those vans, mates a joiner and his floor is rotten underneath as well I think its 07 or 08
they rot from the outside in so it wouldn't make any difference what you put on the floor.

Smudger

😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃

In agreement wow!!

😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😃😃😃😃👍👍👍👍👍
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

NWH

I think you'll find it's the year of the van more than anything else,I know someone that just has furniture in his and its bone dry yet it's full of rot he's just had welding done to get 1 more year out of it. Most vans within the last 5 years are galvanise dipped to prevent premature rotting to foot wells and floor pans in em,I don't know why everyone goes overboard with floor TBH,as long as all drilled holes are painted round in bitumen paint it would take years to penetrate. Mine is Protectacoted because at the time I was thinking of keeping it a while but when I buy brand new I don't think I'd bother as long as you've got leak proof connectors you shouldn't get a problem. The best solution would be to get a tank from www.plasticwatertanks.co.uk you can get a customised tank with a large tray front and back to keep all you stuff on so you would have to have a massive leak for it to soak the floor. If the floor on a new van rotted out due to even deionised water I think you'd have some sort of Coke back don't you lol

duncan h

A few leaks from a hose reel isn't going to rot the van floor surely ???...My primastar just flew through mot and I've not waterproofed the floor.
+1 mate.
Never understood why people do it. WHAT WATER! I must admit my floor has been wet this week, but its condensation off the tank. My toilet at home, does the same thing. My van is ply lined and sucks up th
e odd water anyway

Smurf

Old transits are just rust buckets on wheels as everyone should know so your old  2004  plate lasted quite well methinks.
Might be a silly question but why did you buy another transit?  ???

If you want to avoid carrying water about inside the van altogether then just stick a towbar on the back and use a wfp trailer instead maybe

paul alan

Old transits are just rust buckets on wheels as everyone should know so your old  2004  plate lasted quite well methinks.
Might be a silly question but why did you buy another transit?  ???
Might be another silly question but why not ??? I'm mean everyone's got their different opinions on which make of van is best but in my experience there good vans. And I like it!
What's your view bud?

If you want to avoid carrying water about inside the van altogether then just stick a towbar on the back and use a wfp trailer instead maybe

duncan h

Transits are the best van for everything. VW is ace but ££££££ Merc ££££. Ford Is cheap as chips. Good work horse. If rust bothers you. Get it treated from new

paulben

That's what transits do best RUST. it killed mine
Do not steal the government hates competition

paul alan

Transits are the best van for everything. VW is ace but ££££££ Merc ££££. Ford Is cheap as chips. Good work horse. If rust bothers you. Get it treated from new
Treated? How so?

Don Kee

Get to a truck stop and jetwash the underneath

Once its dried, waxyoil the underneath of the van.
Every thing from wheel arches to floor/chassis (same thing these days)
Tske off the spare wheel and do the bit that it would cover

As long as theres no surface rust there already and you waxyoil it, then you'll be fine

Dont know why every transit owner doesnt do it to be honest...

(Chances are you'll still get a bit of surface on thr outside of the sills, but just keep on top of it. Will be a while yet until you get that though if you've got a 12plate)

SB Cleaning

As long as theres no surface rust there already and you waxyoil it, then you'll be fine

(Chances are you'll still get a bit of surface on thr outside of the sills, but just keep on top of it. Will be a while yet until you get that though if you've got a 12plate)
Or better still don't buy an old transit  ;D

Mike #1

Most motors start rusting underneath after 4-5 unless you do something about it you will end up with issues .

SeanK

Most motors start rusting underneath after 4-5 unless you do something about it you will end up with issues .

You couldn't be more wrong, Ford are using the fact that there are people who will buy their vans no matter what they
throw at them.
You will be hard pushed to find a Dispatch or similar with a rotten floor even at 10 years old as it something most vehicle
manufacturers sorted out years ago.

Walter Mitty

+1 mate.
Never understood why people do it. WHAT WATER! I must admit my floor has been wet this week, but its condensation off the tank. My toilet at home, does the same thing. My van is ply lined and sucks up th
e odd water anyway

Indeed, that's why I paint Protectakote around the inside of my toilet.

Walter Mitty

You couldn't be more wrong, Ford are using the fact that there are people who will buy their vans no matter what they
throw at them.
You will be hard pushed to find a Dispatch or similar with a rotten floor even at 10 years old as it something most vehicle
manufacturers sorted out years ago.

The Japanese had terrible problems with rusty cars going back a while.  Brilliantly reliable mechanically, but rotten.  They got it sorted out in the late 80s/early 90s I think.  Ford  haven't bothered because they balance how many extra new vans they sell due to old ones rotting against how many new sales they lose - due to old ones rotting.  They only resolve it when they lose more sales than they gain - even though they could have sorted it out years ago.

Don Kee

Or better still don't buy an old transit  ;D

He's bought a 12plate, I'd hardly call a 3 year old van old..? ???

Mike #1

My truck has rust underneath it after 5 yrs nothing serious mind you but it's only  a matter of time .

paul alan

Don kee tar for the tip!  Sounds like its worth doing.   I'm thinking this through and if I take up the ply and protectakote the floor then I haven't got anything to secure my reels to? I prefer reels in place, have mounted them on small tables coming off ply arches , braced to ply on the floor. If I took all the ply away I'm limiting my fixing space right? I'm guessing drilling the van floor would be a bad idea. And if i put the ply back down after painting would that ok, or problematic?
Cheers

SeanK

You need to get underneath and check if there is any bare metal if not then you will only be coating the coating/paint that is
already there.
That was the problem with the cars that Walter was talking about in the 70's and 80's (Japanese and Fiats where the worst) was that they actually rusted under the paint work because the rust was already in the metal before it was applied, If its the same with
modern day Fords which I suspect it is then there nothing you can really do.

paulben

Had an old Hiace no problem with rust bit biggest prob was some idiot hit it and wrote it off
Do not steal the government hates competition

Spruce

Hi just had bed news about my beloved 2004 transit swb, rotten underneath! Will need 25+ hours welding quoted at £1000 +.  Just got a 12 plate and don't want the same problem after only 3 yrs, I've gotta admit I haven't been the most careful with my van and truly regret it as this I can't really afford right now.
So if your like me and are going to sort the van out......soon ........then go and do it quick as I reckon I could of sold my van for around 2k as its really nice and clean,great engine, 90k.
Now I'm in debt.
 I need to know how to properly waterproof the floor in the newer van? Can anyone help?
 Also I keep having leaks on my 1/2" garden hose coming from my pump to my reels, little ones here and here(it's a DIY setup 600ltr ibc to pump to2 reels) which fitting and hose should I have in place as these seem as though there almost not compatible ???
 Help here wil be massively appreciated as I can't wreck this van as well.
Many thanks
Paul.

I would try to decide where the rot was coming from first tbh.

If its coming from underneath then Don's suggestion of doing an under seal is a good idea.

If it coming from above then you need to make your van as dry as possible by fixing the system leaks.

We chose to totally remove the plyline floor and  Protectakote the floor. Protectakote does 'seal' the metal and is a non slip coating. I won't put the ply back as I would want the van floor to dry out a quickly as possible when a spill happens. I wouldn't want water under the ply to sit and start the rust cancer.

We have a couple of rubber mats in the rear section to save the floor coating from damage from the hose reels.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Scrimble

its a transit van what do you expect! they come with rust as standard,

EandM

A friend of mine got me in Waxoyling back in the eighties and I've oiled and waxoyled all my current vehicles. It's preserved my Capri very well, which is now 29 years old, and kept the rust at bay in my Ranger. My aforementioned friend always ran Sherpas but has now moved on to Transits and each one, despite his valiant efforts, has rotted out irretrievably. There seems to be something in the internal design where certain sections of the chassis are completely inaccessible for treating. I don't anyone whose had success in regards in the Transit which is a  shame as they are a cracking vehicle. 

paul alan

How is everyone attaching their reels? I like to have mine secured and it currently is, to the ply.
 Is it ok to fix the reels to the van floor?  Wouldn't feel right drilling it out n all.
 And how do people leak proof their hose connections in van? Would love to know as I'm
Unsuccessful with it.
Cheers

Susan Dean (1stclean)

speedline it simple as that

if your spending money on a 12 reg  van that your going to keep for years then spend the cash on getting it done right , or the cheaper fiber glassing route 

Mike #1

Or buy a Pickup Truck with a plastic load liner water runs straight out the back  ;D ;D

EandM

Or buy a Pickup Truck with a plastic load liner water runs straight out the back  ;D ;D

Yep, that seems to be the solution.
Think the Transit issue is water is picking up from the road and / or condensation inside the structure.
Low bake oven after every rain storm perhaps ?

slap bash

Salt grit is a major reason for rusting on a van as the gravel and grit/salt  flies up while
 driving  removes paint like sand blasting and the salt and water does the rest. You will find in hotter countries were they also have the same vans built here never rust.

Lakes and Pennine

getting damp under the cab mats as well. Those mats are nothing but big sponges, once there wet its hard to get dry.
Got de humid in mine at present, but after debacle with movano i would stick to the tranny