Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

One Step Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner
Posted by jimmy (jimmy), 12 October 2003
Hi folks,

What is your opinion on this one step carpet and upholstery cleaner. I recently discovered it on a website and with what I have read and what they say about it, I could be chucking away half the chemicals in my van?

Was told when I bought my machine I could only use their products as any other chemical could errode and eat away at my machine. Is this correct?

Any feed back would be much appreciated.

P.S.  Is £85 + VAT for five litres good or bad?

Posted by Ken_Wainwright (Ken Wainwright), 12 October 2003
Hi Jimmy

You've hit on one of my favourite topics Smiley

Like many, I'd recieved free samples from OneStep over the years, but couldn't make it work for me, so threw the bottle to the back of the garage. After a few different cleaning shows, I had quite a small collection of samples. One day, during a garage clear out, I decided to give it one last chance after reading on another forum of the success people were having with it on upholstery. Spray on, agitate really well and rinse. Hey presto, it works Grin

I find the best way for carpets and upholstery are:
a) It works better hot. The hotter the better.
b) Agitate, agitate, agitate. Brushes, towels or pads on upholstery, rotary or dry powder (host type) machine on carpets.
c) You only need a freshwater rinse. Acid rinse only for technical reasons, not required for cleaning.
d) The Woolsafe approved product (Fineline) will perform equally as well in the real world as the regular product, which is theoretically about 2-3% more efficient.

Last weekend, we bonnet cleaned a 40,000sq.ft. office block with OneStep. The results were superb and we also took out about 50 BlueTac/gum wads with it. It is a very versatile product.

As you don't run OneStep through your machine, you shouldn't have a corrosion problem.  The Fineline is, however, slightly acidic so it wears the sprayer's brass jets. (mine last about 9 months).

OneStep has just gone up quite significantly. I think you'll find it costs £85 for 4x5litres, not 1x5ltr. A few months ago I posted elsewhere of a costing I did on carpets only with 5 litres of product. It worked out at a little over 2p per sq.M with a product cost of £15.50 per 5 ltrs. So it's gone up a bit now, but still less than 3p I think. And there's no rinse solution to pay for.

OneStep would appear to be one of the safest products on the market (food grade ingredients) and I find that the customers love the appeal of a chemical free freshwater rinse.

Give it a try. Most people have to try hard to make it work for them, but it's worth it.
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 12 October 2003
Hi

Ken has said it all really....you just wind that guy up and wait until he winds down before you can get a word in edgewise...taught him well didn't I? Wink Grin

Seriously...One-Step does take some getting used to but once you have cracked it then its smiles all the way. Its so safe even 'our Ken' leaves his Marigolds off occasionally...allegedly!! Lips Sealed

A light mist prespray and plenty of agitation is certainly the key.

DB
Posted by jimmy (jimmy), 12 October 2003
Thanks lads.

Will get some samples and have a go.

Jimmy
Smiley
Posted by stevegunn (Steve Gunn), 13 October 2003
on 10/12/03 at 19:29:38, jimmy wrote:
Hi folks,

What is your opinion on this one step carpet and upholstery cleaner. I recently discovered it on a website and with what I have read and what they say about it, I could be chucking away half the chemicals in my van?

Was told when I bought my machine I could only use their products as any other chemical could errode and eat away at my machine. Is this correct?

Any feed back would be much appreciated.

P.S.  Is £85 + VAT for five litres good or bad?

I take you bought your machine from extracta they will void your warranty if it is found that you are not using their chemical but after year one you can use whatever you like i know a few people who use their machines but don't use extracta's chemicals.

Posted by Nigel_W (Nigel_W), 13 October 2003
The only problem I have with one step is that it lacks any pleasant odour. Some clients/cleaners may find this beneficial, but many need to smell their new found cleanliness. Otherwise a great product.

BTW Ken, I am paying £63.92 for 4 x 5 Litres which makes it look a whole lot more attractive.

Nigel
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 13 October 2003
Hi Steve

I am not sure that Extracta can actually impose that rule.. I think if you check with Trading Standards then it will probably come under a 'restrictive practice' ruling.

I used the Extracta Excel for years and NEVER purchased chemicals from them... I have a feeling that they purchase their products from another well know manufacturer and 'own lable' them.. I may be wrong!

Derek
Posted by Ken_Wainwright (Ken Wainwright), 13 October 2003
Hi Nigel

Up until last week, I was paying £60 for One Step and £62 for FineLine (4x5Ltrs). There has been a considerable price increase and I am now being asked to pay £88.72 locally for both solutions. I'm going to be looking elsewhere for supplies.  It may be prudent to buy in some stock whilst you can at the older, lower price.
Posted by woodman (woodman), 14 October 2003
I am paying £88.00 plus VAT also

I have had to play around with the solution before I settled for a dilution rate of 13oz to the gal (started with 16 as recommended by suppliers) and am quite happy with the results so far.

Posted by Nigel_W (Nigel_W), 14 October 2003
Hi Woodman/Ken

You may already have good relations with your current supplier but you could try A&M Cleaning supplies in Watford 01923-671587. Speak to Rob McKane. He will sell you one case at £71.88  + VAT. 5 case orders get my price of @£66.00. Order over £200 and delivery is free (Ken!!) . However Woodman, as you are in the area, I recommend popping in to see their set up. Nice bunch of guys providing a great service. I just called Rob to confirm his prices - there was no mention of a price rise. If you don't tell him I won't Grin

Nigel
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 14 October 2003
Hi Nigel

A & M do some good deals... I picked up two cases of Fineline when I was last there plus a load of other goodies.... that shop is like an Aladin's cave.... Bet you can't go in and come out again without buying something.
It's the only Contract Cleaning retailer I know that opens at 7.30am each day to service it's customers...

Regards
Derek
Posted by woodman (woodman), 14 October 2003
Thanks Nigel

I have been in many times and infact went in today and bought a case Wink.

Posted by Nigel_W (Nigel_W), 14 October 2003

Woodman - I wrongly presumed you hadn't found them yet because you were paying £88 + vat per case?

Derek - next time you are in the area let me know and I will pop in and say hello.

Nigel

Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 15 October 2003
Hi Nigel

All being well I shall be there on Friday 28th November .. I am doing a course in 'Sunny' Watford

Cheers
Derek
Posted by woodman (woodman), 15 October 2003
Embarassed

Hi Nigel

I got the price wrong it's £85:40 inc VAT

You can't expect me to remember such things exactly Grin

Derek what course are you doing there
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 15 October 2003
Hi Mr 'W'

I am doing a stain removal course for A & M 's customers, the last was on the 19th September.

Regards
Derek
Posted by stevegunn (Steve Gunn), 9 November 2003
on 10/12/03 at 20:09:47, Ken Wainwright wrote:
Hi Jimmy

You've hit on one of my favourite topics Smiley

Like many, I'd recieved free samples from OneStep over the years, but couldn't make it work for me, so threw the bottle to the back of the garage. After a few different cleaning shows, I had quite a small collection of samples. One day, during a garage clear out, I decided to give it one last chance after reading on another forum of the success people were having with it on upholstery. Spray on, agitate really well and rinse. Hey presto, it works Grin

I find the best way for carpets and upholstery are:
a) It works better hot. The hotter the better.
b) Agitate, agitate, agitate. Brushes, towels or pads on upholstery, rotary or dry powder (host type) machine on carpets.
c) You only need a freshwater rinse. Acid rinse only for technical reasons, not required for cleaning.
d) The Woolsafe approved product (Fineline) will perform equally as well in the real world as the regular product, which is theoretically about 2-3% more efficient.

Last weekend, we bonnet cleaned a 40,000sq.ft. office block with OneStep. The results were superb and we also took out about 50 BlueTac/gum wads with it. It is a very versatile product.

As you don't run OneStep through your machine, you shouldn't have a corrosion problem.  The Fineline is, however, slightly acidic so it wears the sprayer's brass jets. (mine last about 9 months).

OneStep has just gone up quite significantly. I think you'll find it costs £85 for 4x5litres, not 1x5ltr. A few months ago I posted elsewhere of a costing I did on carpets only with 5 litres of product. It worked out at a little over 2p per sq.M with a product cost of £15.50 per 5 ltrs. So it's gone up a bit now, but still less than 3p I think. And there's no rinse solution to pay for.

OneStep would appear to be one of the safest products on the market (food grade ingredients) and I find that the customers love the appeal of a chemical free freshwater rinse.

Give it a try. Most people have to try hard to make it work for them, but it's worth it.

Is this one step really that easy to use ??
Posted by Ken_Wainwright (Ken Wainwright), 9 November 2003
Like most things in life Steve, it gets easier with practice. Wink
Posted by Shorty (Shorty), 10 November 2003
Do I understand you guys right??
You put chemicals through your machines??

Why not pre-spray the chemicals using a hydro-force sprayer, then simply rinse/extract using hot water.

This way no chemical has to go through your machine, the carpet is rinsed and less cleaning residue left to re-soil.

Cheers,

Shorty
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 10 November 2003
Hi Shorty

The chemical that is being refered to here is a 'mico-splitting chemical' formulated using food based phosphates. There are NO detergents, NO solvents and NO enzymes.
Apart from that ...no one knows (except Ed Crawford, the inventor, and his partner) just how it is formulated

Most of us use it as a prespray, then agitate (key element) and rinse, using a plain water rinse.

It just works

Regards
Derek
Posted by Fintan_Coll (Fintan_Coll), 12 November 2003
I find one step a great spotter and stain remover too.
Fintan

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.